UU Research Group #1 - Rotom-C, Suicune, Aerodactyl

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Hello fellow UUers,

As many of you may have noticed, the lower tiers have been doing something called "Research Weeks" in order to boost the activity of their respective ladders and forums. We will be doing something similar, but since these things never actually last a week, we'll call it "Research Group." This project looks to investigate, and possibly boost the usage of, Pokemon that have potential in UU; be it through its stats, movepool, support capabilities, or simply to serve as an innovative choice in today's metagame. There will be three Pokemon per Research Group and they will be picked by me (feel free to VM/PM me with suggestions near the end of the current Group). Each Research Group will last approximately two weeks.

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:

• Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and/or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Like I said before, feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.

Research Group #1

[pimg]500[/pimg] [pimg]245[/pimg] [pimg]142[/pimg]
Rotom-C | Suicune | Aerodactyl​

How useful are these Pokemon in UU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #genvuu as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:

• Send me a PM here or on IRC with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!

The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge is the person who finishes with the highest rating on the alt they registered. If you win, you receive temporary hops on #genvuu, but you may only claim your prize if you actually participated in the discussion!

Current Participants:

Forum Name - Ladder Alt

PsYch071c - PsychoTest
FlareBlitz - Flareodactyl
D4RR3N - -TimeMachine
blarajan - SJCREW EATS DIRT
Closetalker - Closetalker-2
DesinyUnknown - c-motor

kokoloko

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Okay so I'll get this started,

Since I'm writing the Suicune analysis, I went out and tested random sets over the past few days, and I genuinely don't get why people don't use it more. I was using a core of RestTalk Roar Suicune / Spikes Roserade / Heal Bell Togekiss and that shit did work. Roserade can set up Spikes on almost anything that's passive while Suicune can take hits all day and just keep shuffling the opponent's team. Togekiss served as my stallbreaker (Air Slash / Roost / Nasty Plot / Heal Bell) and was used to wake Suicune up whenever I could so that it could stay healthy. I also used Krook to take advantage of the weakened team and get that initial kill much more easily. That core is really Zapdos and Raikou weak though, so my team struggled with those two, especially the former.

That's all I have to say for now, I'll comment on the others later.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Alt: Flareodactyl
Using: Aerodactyl

I've been interested in this guy ever since I built my mono-rock team, so I'm going to be giving him a spin on an actual, competitive team. Will post impressions after some testing.

Impressions so far:

This might as well have been me researching Magneton or Machamp, because they have honestly pulled their weight much more than Aerodactyl has. I figured Aerodactyl would be an excellent cleaner, but it's just too weak - Stone Edge is inaccurate and CB Aerial Ace fails to ohko a fucking Galavantula (wasn't even close, did like 79%). CB Aqua Tail does like 35% to Gligar, fails to ohko Rhyperior, CB Earthquake doesn't ohko Cobalion...the list of KOs it fails to get are actually kind of incredible. I'll keep using it for a little bit because the rest of the team is great, but Aerodactyl is not the contributing force behind my ladder rating at this point.

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
If only Aerodactyl got Acrobatics......

Anyway, my impressions so far are basically what FlareBlitz said, underwhelming. It does its job, but not nearly well enough to warrant more usage. I've been using a Hyperoffensive team and having Aerodactyl as my lead poke, but the fact that I start off every game 5-6 isn't worth getting Stealth Rocks up and keeping them off my side of the field, especially because if I'm switching out a lot with this kind of team, I'm doing it wrong. Anyway, most people wait until quite a few turns in to try and get up their own rocks, and by that time Aero is long gone. Most other Stealth Rockers also get at least 2 or 3 opportunities a game to switch in and set up, something Aerodactyl NEVER does. You better hope a ghost fits somewhere on your team to block a spinner, or Aero is nothing more than a waste of a teamslot.

Hmmm hopefully I can get around to testing these guys out. i'll have to update later with an alt. but I am definitely going to try Hone Claws Aerodactyl beecause unlike CB is has the power to OHKO things more often than not, plus it patches up that imperfect Stone Edge accuracy we all know so well. I'm also excited to test out Rotom-C as it really has a pretty nice typing for an electric type. STAB Leaf Storm fucks over those Ground types who feel they can absorb a Volt Switch and force Rotom out....Suicune, I'm just going to say that SubCM and Offensive Calm Mind are so underrated and under prepared for. They stomp all over Milotic and Slowbro, as well as Sub Seed Shaymin thinking they can take the hits and scare you out.

FlareBlitz

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah, I'm switching to Suicune. Same alt etc. Got to 1330ish with the Aerodactyl alt, if anyone is wondering. Tilted back to 1307.

alt: -TimeMachine
Current rating: 1400

Have been using Rotom-C. I've tried various sets, including Choice Scarf, Specs, Sp Defensive, SubSplit, etc, but the Scarf and Specs sets stood out among them. Here are some of the thoughts i had upon using the Scarf and Specs sets.
Scarf: Yeah, there are a lot of good Scarfers in the UU metagame, but what makes Scarf Rotom-C so special compared to the other Scarfers, is his resistance to water attacks, a feat that none of the good UU scarfers can achieve. It has Volt Switch too, which is arguelably one of the best moves you can find on a Scarfer. It can trick his Scarf off to something annoying, too.
Specs: This set is simply amazing. Specs Leaf Storm is probably one of the strongest special moves you can find in UU right now, dealing a hefty 40% (or maybe more) to even Snorlax, one of the best Special walls in the game. Other then Leaf Storm, it has Volt Switch too, something that forces A LOT of switches, therefore having the opponent racking up hazards damage.

Here's my team:

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Scald

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Heracross (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
- Discharge
- Recover

Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch

Rotom-C @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

The team's based on a Mew/Cobalion sweep. Rotom-C is usually sent in early game to do his best at denting the opponent's teams, and then Swampert can be switched into stuff like Raikou and set up rocks. Porygon2 handles LO Zapdos pretty nicely, which is always great since my team is weak to it. Cobalion/Mew usually comes in midgame/lategame, and both of them usually sets up easily on defensive rose, which is really common nowadays. Anyways, the biggest problem this team have is probably hazards offense teams, but since Deoxys-D is gone, it won't be that much of a problem I guess.

Using both cune and Rotom-C. I was gonna try to use all three but Crobat just makes a much better partner for the duo. Right now specs Rotom-C is tearing it up, it's the best set Rotom-C can run imo. Scarf is just way too weak and defensive is too situational. Dealing 40% to standard lax on the switch with Leaf Storm forces it to rest very early which means free setup for a lot of stuff. Cune not doing too much though, been cycling sets every couple of games and none have done much. Cements the impression of Cune that I have that it's a papermon.

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
Rotom-C is definitely working out the best for me so far, Specs Leaf Storm is so damn powerful. I'm not sure if I should run Modest or Timid. With Modest, Timid Chandelure outspeeds, but I feel like the extra power definitely makes a difference. I am using it paired with Life Orb Darmanitan right now, and the pair absolutely tears through a bunch of common teams, especially the Bronzong/Chandelure/Snorlax or Porygon2 core that everyone seems to be using. Darmanitan dispatches all of these pokemon early game, allowing Rotom-C to spam Leaf Storm. Rotom covers Darmanitan's Water and Ground resistance as well, and both can keep momentum by Volt Switching and U-turning into each other.

kokoloko

okay guys if you're still doing this feel free to start posting actual sets, teams, screenshots, etc.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
A bit late >.<

Anyway, I have more spare time now so...
In as ''c-motor''
Using rotom obviously, might use aerodactyl but I'm lazy as fuck so no.

FlareBlitz

All right, I peaked at 1403 with this team and tilted back down to 1370, which is where I am at now.

http://pastebin.com/8f2c37Re

That's the team. The basic point of it was to cover Suicune's electric weakness with both Swampert and Flygon (which, together, guarantee that Zapdos and Raikou don't do too much damage regardless of which HP they use) and cover its grass weakness with Togekiss, Magneton, and Chandelure. Besides type synergy, each member has its purpose. Swampert is my all-purposed mixed tank and gets SR up, Togekiss heals the team of any status ailments and serves as a threatening bulky sweeper, Flygon is there for immediate and immense power (which serves to wear down the bulky waters that give suicune trouble), Magneton exists to trap Bronzong, Registeel, and Empoleon, freeing up Suicune / Togekiss to sweep, and Chandelure is there because this team has problems with fast attackers, especially weavile and cobalion. It works really well when I'm not tilting because I'm trying to play after not getting enough sleep. Feel free to use it or whatever.

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
I peaked number 1 with this team for a short while with 1520 points, but since then I have gone on a full scale landslide, so I think it is time to retire it. The team is basically based on all the team members trying to work together to try and achieve either a Sharpedo or a Hitmonlee sweep. Life Orb Darma and Rotom-C break down so many teams, but once the opponent gets hazards up they get worn down super easy. After this has happened, one of the sweepers usually ends up sacrificing itself so that the other can sweep. Oh, and Togekiss is my bottom bitch, and wins so many games by herself. Here's the team if you want to try it out.

Rhyperior (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Hitmonlee (M) @ Normal Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Togekiss (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Darmanitan (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Rotom-C @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm
- Trick

Sharpedo (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Protect
- Earthquake

kokoloko

screenshots before you guys dropped would have been helpful but i will take your words for it lol

anyway, everyone else: since today is the last day, feel free to post up everything you got

also next group will be smeargle, rotom-h, and crobat; unless there are any other suggestions i like (vm me if you have any!)

edit: okay i've had three people suggest magneton already so he's getting a spot lol

kokoloko

Alrighty, this marks the end of the first Research Group. This did not generate as much discussion as I had hoped for, but hopefully the next one will be slightly more interesting.

Congratulations, PsYch071c for winning the challenge! I'll speak to Mr. Jabba about your prize.

I'll leave this thread open for a while so people can finalize posting their results, but if a mod could unstick it and sticky the next one, that'd be swell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)