UU Simple Questions Thread

other than mega-amp, what beats baton pass vap + taunt crobat cores? from the famous king uu posts.
I've found that CM mons do fairly well against those types of cores. In particular, SubCM Jirachi can set up subs on Vaporeon if it gets to +1, and can wall/threaten Crobat with a KO. Cresselia and I'm sure a few others can also beat SpDef Gligar who's also commonly found on that core.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Dragon Dance is a much better sweeper than and of its other sets because of the boost in speed.

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Dragon Pulse

Since there are 18 Pokemon in BL, wouldn't it make more sense to have a smaller BL, or in fact, no BL at all? I mean, 18 is like 1/5 of a tier so allowing all of them in UU will create a new UU, not a broken/ over centralized UU. Sure there is Uber with a lot more Pokes than 18 but then it's because there are so many, it makes sense to separate them from OU (also because their broken-ness is on a completely different level). Thoughts?

Since there are 18 Pokemon in BL, wouldn't it make more sense to have a smaller BL, or in fact, no BL at all? I mean, 18 is like 1/5 of a tier so allowing all of them in UU will create a new UU, not a broken/ over centralized UU. Sure there is Uber with a lot more Pokes than 18 but then it's because there are so many, it makes sense to separate them from OU (also because their broken-ness is on a completely different level). Thoughts?
I'm honestly not quite sure what you want. BL is in place to keep pokemon that are broken and unhealthy in the UU metagame out. If you wish to use these mons use them in OU but BL will not be going anywhere lol. What you're saying about "creating a new UU" i also dont really understand. BL isnt a tier and even with 18 pokemon right now it will never be a tier, thats not its job, BL is a banlist for UU nothing more nothing less and i assume unless some dramatic change happens that is how it will stay

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
They're working on making the BL list smaller. The process is that they would ban everything deemed potentially broken in UU beta, then retest them one by one into the current meta, against what we know will not be broken. Unbanning them all would likely result in a broken-checking-broken scenario where the tier would be centralized, just over a few more threats. BL will always be a thing, so removing it isn't an option, and a smaller BL is being worked on.

Also, after the current round of retests is over, it is planned to do a re-retest for them so they have a final chance to come back (especially more controversial bans such as Salamence, Klefki, Staraptor, and if it drops again, Magnezone)

I'm honestly not quite sure what you want. BL is in place to keep pokemon that are broken and unhealthy in the UU metagame out. If you wish to use these mons use them in OU but BL will not be going anywhere lol. What you're saying about "creating a new UU" i also dont really understand. BL isnt a tier and even with 18 pokemon right now it will never be a tier, thats not its job, BL is a banlist for UU nothing more nothing less and i assume unless some dramatic change happens that is how it will stay
What I'm saying is: as a banlist, BL seems a bit big with 18 Pokemon. So, if those 18 were to be allowed in UU, they would change the UU environment into something different from its current state (effectively, a "new" UU). And since there are 18 of them, the "new" UU will neither be over centralized or unhealthy.

They're working on making the BL list smaller. The process is that they would ban everything deemed potentially broken in UU beta, then retest them one by one into the current meta, against what we know will not be broken. Unbanning them all would likely result in a broken-checking-broken scenario where the tier would be centralized, just over a few more threats. BL will always be a thing, so removing it isn't an option, and a smaller BL is being worked on.

Also, after the current round of retests is over, it is planned to do a re-retest for them so they have a final chance to come back (especially more controversial bans such as Salamence, Klefki, Staraptor, and if it drops again, Magnezone)
Wouldn't that be too slow? XY was released a year ago and there are still a lot waiting to be tested. And with ORAS coming in a month, that number will only increase. It seems like BL and UU will take a really long time to stabilize.

P/S: I am NOT suggesting removing BL altogether. I'm just suggesting a more sensible one.

Last edited:
If I wanted to make a thread about the process of teambuilding asking for uu veterans to give their opinions on how to build a team from scratch, would that need to be approved by kokoloko?
Edit: Just so no one misunderstands this is different from Lochies existing thread, instead of covering good pokemon to use, it would give kind of an outline of all the roles in teambuilding as well as a model of a solidly built team.

Last edited:
What I'm saying is: as a banlist, BL seems a bit big with 18 Pokemon. So, if those 18 were to be allowed in UU, they would change the UU environment into something different from its current state (effectively, a "new" UU). And since there are 18 of them, the "new" UU will neither be over centralized or unhealthy.

Wouldn't that be too slow? XY was released a year ago and there are still a lot waiting to be tested. And with ORAS coming in a month, that number will only increase. It seems like BL and UU will take a really long time to stabilize.

P/S: I am NOT suggesting removing BL altogether. I'm just suggesting a more sensible one.
UU is the only tier to be relatively balanced throughout the entirety of XY. Instead of having broken mons for months and months while having arguments like Broken X checks Broken Y, so Y should stay. Instead, we took out X and Y and reintroduced them one at a time. The 3.4% cutoff is only going to let UU and lower tiers gros. BL can grow into a tier as big as Ubers, which wasnt supposed to be a tier at all. For the first 2 gens, it consisted of Mewtwo, Lugia and Ho Oh. But, now it has what 2 dozen pokes roughly? I think this trend is going to increase as we keep getting more megas and new generations with the larger BL across all tiers.

But, the initial size of BL id due to the new way Koko and the council decided to do this this gen. They were still testing BW mons even after xy came out (chandy and hail being banned)

If I wanted to make a thread about the process of teambuilding asking for uu veterans to give their opinions on how to build a team from scratch, would that need to be approved by kokoloko?
Edit: Just so no one misunderstands this is different from Lochies existing thread, instead of covering good pokemon to use, it would give kind of an outline of all the roles in teambuilding as well as a model of a solidly built team.
Yes, you would need to consult Koko or the other UU leaders, as well as have a solid start to the guide as proof that what you've got is worthwhile.

Yes, you would need to consult Koko or the other UU leaders, as well as have a solid start to the guide as proof that what you've got is worthwhile.
Well I just wanted to start a thread where Veteran uu players could give advice on the process, I'm a bit of a newbie and still learning at the moment so I figured this could help me and the rest of the community who is somewhat new a whole lot and be a valuable contribution to the threads.

Well I just wanted to start a thread where Veteran uu players could give advice on the process, I'm a bit of a newbie and still learning at the moment so I figured this could help me and the rest of the community who is somewhat new a whole lot and be a valuable contribution to the threads.
Well, you could just ask the veteran UU players for help. Most of us are pretty nice and would definitely help newer people enjoy UU. It helps us as well from new people spamming troll teams (ambipoms a great example of what we try not to promote). But from my experience, Kitten Milk, Coolstorybrobat, Calloflochie, Lord of Bays, Rowdog are all pretty nice and are veterans to UU (my experience as far as it goes).

Well, you could just ask the veteran UU players for help. Most of us are pretty nice and would definitely help newer people enjoy UU. It helps us as well from new people spamming troll teams (ambipoms a great example of what we try not to promote). But from my experience, Kitten Milk, Coolstorybrobat, Calloflochie, Lord of Bays, Rowdog are all pretty nice and are veterans to UU (my experience as far as it goes).
Thank you!

As a general rule (assuming my team is already fairly balanced), should I run Knock Off or Superpower on Bulk Up Tornadus?

EDIT: Where even is that post? I completely forgot the EV spread for it.

Specially defensive bulky waters can, like Vaporeon and to an extent Swampert. For Swampert, and anything that doesn't have reliable recovery, you have to be careful about switching into Draco Meteor over and over, so Wish support would help that out. If Hydreigon doesn't carry Superpower (Hey, I ran one with Iron Tail once upon a time), Curse Snorlax can set up on them, though Trick from Jirachi is also a threat.

SpDef Mega Aggron also handles them, but suffers from lack of Leftovers. On the other hand, he has Thunder Wave to slow down Jirachi and is immune to Trick. You could also run RestTalk or Rest with Heal Bell support, though most clerics will carry Wish, mostly eliminating the need for Rest.

What mon can handle a LO Hydreigon + ScarfRachi Core?
Eh its kind of a loaded question tbh. The pokds that can tank hits from both ends of the spectrum are extremely prone to Trick. I would say CroCune since it doesnt care too much for physical hydre and can set up cm on special attacks. It has no problem setting up on racbi, but is demolished by trick. A faster scarfer like Mienshao or Ape are good for checking both as well. Theres a reason why Rachi and Hydre are top ranked mons...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)