UU Simple Questions Thread

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Before Magnezone was OU, why was it BL? It doesn't seem like it'd be too threatening in UU as there aren't as many steels aside from Forretress, Empoleon and Aggron - the latter of which beats it - and the fact Magneton is B - used to be B- - seems to speak volumes to me, not to mention that Magnezone doesn't particularly stick out as a powerhouse among many big threats in UU. Is there something I'm being really stupid about and missing, or...?
It was BL due to it being able to 2HKO almost the entire tier with Specs Analytic, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Read this http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-tiering-system-voting-records.3520708/#post-5439662

Im searching for a complete list of all the pokemon i can not use on uu. The list mentioned in the sticky thread is only of pokemon that are bl or something, but i am also searching for ou and uber pokemon. Can anyone help me?

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Im searching for a complete list of all the pokemon i can not use on uu. The list mentioned in the sticky thread is only of pokemon that are bl or something, but i am also searching for ou and uber pokemon. Can anyone help me?
http://pastebin.com/R2aGpJcb here are all the current ones that are unable to be used in UU, for future reference you can just "/ds (tier), all" in any chat room on PS without the quotations and brackets.

I have 2 questions that came up regarding the suspect test since tbis is the firat one i actually participated in versus just lurking around..

1. How is the COIl score determined after a battle? Is it directly related to the normal score?
2. What does feeding the tilt mean?

"Tilting" is when you lose a game, get salty about losing a game, and play worse, causing you to lose a game, etc.

"Feeding" probably means continuing to play while you are a tilting, although personally I've never heard the term used before.

Reactions: nv
Nidoqueen is ranked higher than King is on the Viability thread but I was just wondering:

what I am looking for when I choose between the two? There's an obvious disparity in the ranking but is it really down to Queen's higher bulk?

Let's say I'm building a Balanced Team...is it an automatic slot for Queen or is the extra speed going to help out from King? Is King only reserved for offensive teams?

Thanks in advance

Nidoqueen is ranked higher than King is on the Viability thread but I was just wondering:

what I am looking for when I choose between the two? There's an obvious disparity in the ranking but is it really down to Queen's higher bulk?

Let's say I'm building a Balanced Team...is it an automatic slot for Queen or is the extra speed going to help out from King? Is King only reserved for offensive teams?

Thanks in advance
Nidoking's higher speed doesn't make up for the bulk you lose by not running Nidoqueen for most team archetypes. As for their viability rankings, Nidoqueen's bulk allows it to run a viable toxic spikes set while also being generally better equipped to deal with the meta's top threats which pushes Nidoking's viability down a bit by comparison.

I originally had this big post written up about Nidoqueen's superior power, but then I actually looked at the calc and she only has 4 more Special Attack than Nidoking when running Modest with max investment. That being said, she does still hit harder and absorb hits better with higher defenses across the board, so with the metagame sticking to Bulky Offense and Balance, most teams appreciate Nidoqueen more. Nidoking does have teams where he is the better fit, but those are much more rare.

EDIT: I think you missed the point about Nidoqueen and Nidoking. Nidoking NEEDS to run Timid. He's too frail to afford running Modest, or another boosting nature. Nidoqueen has much better bulk which lets her run Modest, which in turn gives her higher Special Attack. So the choice between Nidoqueen and King is between power/bulk and speed.

Last edited:
I originally had this big post written up about Nidoqueen's superior power, but then I actually looked at the calc and she only has 4 more Special Attack than Nidoking when running Modest with max investment. That being said, she does still hit harder and absorb hits better with higher defenses across the board, so with the metagame sticking to Bulky Offense and Balance, most teams appreciate Nidoqueen more. Nidoking does have teams where he is the better fit, but those are much more rare.
Iv always know the King was stronger than the queen. The king has higher Special atack and Attack by a lot, also he is faster. Queen is most prefered, but if you like the extra power and speed go for th King.

Nidoking should really only be used when you want to run mixed sets to lure stuff like Blissey and Umbreon. Nidoqueen's (slightly) higher Special Attack and significantly higher bulk make her a much more reliable Stealth Rock setter and fully take advantage of her excellent typing. Nidoking doesn't even outspeed too many highly relevant threats anyway, other than Chandelure and Adamant Heracross. Adamant Lucario's Extremespeed does a ton to Nidoking anyway.

252 Atk Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 139-164 (38.1 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Nidoking: 153-180 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 303-357 (83.2 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Nidoking: 333-393 (109.9 - 129.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 250-294 (68.6 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Nidoking: 273-322 (90 - 106.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

56 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 142-168 (39 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
56 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Nidoking: 156-184 (51.4 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(Nidoqueen's EV spread in these calcs is enough to outspeed neutral base 85s)

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah, dodmen hit the nail on the head. While King is faster, it doesn't really outspeed very much that's relevant, so it still has to tank a hit first against offensive teams. Queen takes hits better, and hence is more overall useful against balance or offense. King IS a little better at breaking stall cores, though, thanks to the decent Attack letting it whomp Blissey hard with Superpower.

If I want to use Nidoqueen on a team starring Mega Pidgeot and Head Smash Tyrantrum (and no other known team members), what sort of set should I be running? I'm thinking the pair of them are gonna need a decent amount of team support to do anything, but I'm wondering if I could still get away with an offensive Nidoqueen or if it would be better to run something like SR/Toxic Spikes/Earth Power/Sludge Bomb.

Well, first you always want to run Sludge Wave on Nidoking and Nidoqueen. It's stronger, you don't benefit from the increased chance to poison, and Chesnaught is immune to Sludge Bomb. Second, Mega Pidgeot and Tyrantrum sound like an offensive team, but you could swing that into being a more balanced team with a bulky Nidoqueen set. I'd suggest you run Stealth Rock either way, since Nidoqueen is such a reliable setter of it.

Cool, offensive SR is viable, I've always been a fan of that. I threw together a few other pokes and am testing the team on showdown - might put up an rmt later. Thanks!

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What's Whimsicott's strongest set in the tier? The offensive variant seems to be the most common, but not sure if that's just a low ladder thing like scarf Darm.

What's Whimsicott's strongest set in the tier? The offensive variant seems to be the most common, but not sure if that's just a low ladder thing like scarf Darm.
Nope! Offensive Whimsicott is the best Whimsicott, because it's probably the best offensive answer to Hydreigon in the tier, also beating stuff like Mienshao and Heracross 1v1. The most common set is probably Encore/Moonblast/Giga Drain/U-Turn with max SpA and Speed, although there's a Specs set that is sometimes used with Moonblast/Giga Drain/U-Turn/Switcheroo or Psychic, this one running switcheroo over prankster.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Nope! Offensive Whimsicott is the best Whimsicott, because it's probably the best offensive answer to Hydreigon in the tier, also beating stuff like Mienshao and Heracross 1v1. The most common set is probably Encore/Moonblast/Giga Drain/U-Turn with max SpA and Speed, although there's a Specs set that is sometimes used with Moonblast/Giga Drain/U-Turn/Switcheroo or Psychic, this one running switcheroo over prankster.
It's worth noting that offensive Whimsi is a pretty soft check to things like Hera and Mienshao, as CB Hera's Close Combat deals 70-80%, and Scarf Mienshao 2HKOs with HJK (and outspeeds as well, of course). It's still nice as an offensive answer to both of them, but if your team is fighting weak, slapping LO or Specs Whimsi on top won't fix that.

It's worth noting that offensive Whimsi is a pretty soft check to things like Hera and Mienshao, as CB Hera's Close Combat deals 70-80%, and Scarf Mienshao 2HKOs with HJK (and outspeeds as well, of course). It's still nice as an offensive answer to both of them, but if your team is fighting weak, slapping LO or Specs Whimsi on top won't fix that.
Thus how I said "beating it 1v1", because it can't switch in but given a 1v1 scenario will outspeed both of them and win in both scenarios, OHKOing mienshao and doing 76% minimum to Heracross, with Leftovers.

is suppport Salamance an option? He has a nice movepool, his bulk is not the best but intimidate can help, he is not slow and even with little investment he can hurt, so taunt is not a shut down.

is suppport Salamance an option? He has a nice movepool, his bulk is not the best but intimidate can help, he is not slow and even with little investment he can hurt, so taunt is not a shut down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)