1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

UU stall, first RMT, please don't be too harsh :3

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Team Rocket, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Team Rocket

Team Rocket

Hey guys. I've been lurking for quite some time on the forums, and also playing PS a bit and finally decided to post my first team, since I figured why the hell not. It doesn't hurt and it may help improve my buddies. It's a stall team, cause' that play style suits me best. I think that sets seem pretty standard but I like the feeling that most of the threats in the tier are covered. Anyway, without further talking, let's get to the team.
    -------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    Roserade @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Spikes
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Rest
    - Giga Drain

Back in my RU days I simply loved how Roselia pretty much was the best special wall there was available in the tier, and I used it in my every team. Now I decided to try UU for a bit and since on smogon Roserade is UU not OU I was really happy to give it a go. I started building my team with Rosie in mind, I wanted it to do what it is best at: setting up hazards, getting status for team and tanking special damage. It's decent bulk and good basic speed works just great for me, and ability to cover both grass and water threats was a great addition. Her set is pretty standard, but I guess it's what works best for me.

[​IMG]
    Slowking @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Slack Off
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Calm Mind

Since Rosie is weak to both fire and psychic, I needed another special wall to take care of those threats. Slowking is overall a great pokemon, and it's special bulk and ability to tank all fighting types for days made me place in this team. I decided to choose the CM variant, since it can set up on many things in this tier and fire back with decend damage after only one CM. Slack Off is standard, and I used to have Yawn over Toxic, but decided that it's best to have something to wear down other specially defensive walls, since Scald itself doesn't guarantee burn. I might change it later on.

[​IMG]
    Dusclops @ Eviolite
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
    Bold Nature
    - Rest
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Seismic Toss
    - Confuse Ray

I always loved Dusclops. It has massive HP and def and spdef bulk, ability to spin block (which is awsome seeing that this team relies on hazards) and can fight back with seismic toss that always does good amount of damage. I used to run sleep talk set, but it was pretty boring and I decided to use something different. Rest is here to heal off all the damage that guts Heracross can offer and can be healed by my cleric with Heal Bell. WoW is annoying when it misses but I prefer it over Toxic with Roserade and Bronzong around. Seismic Toss is for coverage, since I need something to do damage with and Consfuse Ray is just for pure fun of watching Flygon hit himself for 40% of his damage.

[​IMG]

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Rapid Spin
    - Foresight
    - Toxic

There is no good stall team without a spinner, right? And ability to spin on ghosts and then hit them with close combat is just priceless. I must admit, I never really liked Hitmontop but it changed with this team. It's set is also standard, but I wanted it to be effective in what it does. I might change it to specially defensive variant, but I already have 3 special walls so I don't think it's needed.

[​IMG]
    Swampert @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Roar
    - Stealth Rock
    - Scald
    - Earthquake

Don't you just LOVE being phazed around and burned with scalds? I certainly don't, that's why Swampert is in this team so I can do those nasty things to people. I needed another defensive wall, and Swampy just popped into my mind after trying out Blastoise which didn't work and didn't have SR support I really needed. Earthquake and Scald are for Gligar and other annoying electric types I had to handle, and Roar just shuffles pokemon around and makes their life sooo much harder, not to mention it takes care of Meloetta with 2 CMs and behind a sub. Overall, a great pokemon.

And now, to the star of this show.

[​IMG]

Umbreon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature
    - Heal Bell
    - Protect
    - Wish
    - Foul Play

I can't even remember how many times this little fox saved my entire team. Was it by passing Wish to Dusclops or Swampert or just simply stalling Outrages from Flygon and answering with Toxic. (which it's pretty good at, despite defense weakness. Since burned Slowking can't be effective in setting up and sleeping Dusclops is pretty useless without Sleep Talk Heal Bell is pretty essential for this team to work. Wish is awsome for stalling out Outrages and Fouplay 2HKO's Heracross I didn't need any other changes. Sure, I could swap Protect for Swagger, but foxie ain't exactly good at taking too many hits and I still remember Liepard and it's stall technique and that's just cheap IMHO.

Anyway, that's the team. Feel free to rate it, I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to make it work better, since I don't play UU for long. That's all, thanks guys.​
  2. Royalty

Royalty Girl, I do this often
    is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Pretty decent team you got there but I'd like to give you a few suggestions.

Replace dusclops with the defensive cofagrigus set as cofag is almost always better and in the case of your team it will provide much needed haze support as you are very weak to set-up sweepers.

Redistribute swamperts EVs to 240hp/16atk/252def with a relaxed nature, +def/-speed.

Since you are trying to run stall I would advise putting toxic spikes over sludge bomb on roserade.

Replace slowking with standard curselax as it will provide you with some sort of win condition and also covers the fire weakness to roserade that you were insistent on stopping with slowking. Snorlax will also deal with chandelure as you are very weak to the non choiced set.

Missing 4 EVs on hitmontop, dusclops, roserade and slowking. Put umbreons extra EVs in def not attack. As for IVs make sure roserade/(dusclops or cofag)/slowking have 0 atk IVs.
  3. Heroes and Cons

Heroes and Cons

Well first off, Dusclops doesn't have massive HP at all, it has one of the lowest HP stats in the game of all evolved Pokemon! Though it's Eviolite-augmented bulk is still formidable, so I'll give you that one. Now then, onto the team analysis...

First off, I reckon Roserade can drop some HP EVs into Speed. A small Speed investment will allow it to outpace max speed Nidoqueen, while a more significant investment will allow it to outrun max speed Nidoking, Heracross and Chandelure that do not carry a scarf, and potentially finish them off if they have been previously damaged (Giga Drain for Nidos, Sludge Bomb for the other two). And given how much wallbreaking power these threats have, along with the multitude of SE moves to this team they often carry, the ability to outrun them on such a slow team could be crucial. Plus it will retain most of its special bulk against less powerful attackers and safely switch into them, like non-specs special Kingdra and Blastoise. Really though, this one is up to whether you want absolute max special bulk or think speed investment will help you more often.

I'd use Slowbro over Slowking - Slowbro has much higher physical defense rather than special defense - you only have one physical wall at the moment (Hitmontop doesn't count, and Swampert is a Tank and can't last that long), while you have THREE special walls, and in my experience it is best to come equally prepared for both sides of the spectrum. Slowbro gets everything Slowking does, but since Slowking can't safely switch into things like Dragon Dance Kingdra, Darmanitan and Scarf Flygon it ends up being less useful. Besides, most of the special attackers in UU have something that hits it really hard, like Chandelure, Zapdos, most Azelf, etc. Contrarily, most physical attackers are hard-walled by Slowbro - even Choice Band Darmanitan can't KO it with U-turn after maximum entry hazard damage.

Dusclops can drop some of those Def EVs into SpDef thanks to Will-o-wisp ruining most physical attackers (only Darmanitan and the rare Guts Heracross don't care about it). Plus, you should change Seismic Toss to Night Shade IMO - you gain the ability to hit opposing Ghosts in return for losing out on the far less common Normal types, of which only ONE is used in UU (Snorlax, which is ruined by Will-o-wisp anyway).

TIP: Alternatively, use the far physically-bulkier Cofagrigus if you really want a physical wall - Dusclops is a better mixed wall if you want to keep using it.

Hitmontop is NOT a good physical tank, at all. If you're going for the bulky route, go special or go home. Base 50 HP is NOT enough to back up a base 95 Def, while a base 110 SDef basically stands up on its own. A Swords Dance Cobalion can boost up on you, and an unboosted CC won't do nearly enough to it - oh, and then you're already underwhelming defenses are lowered and it can destroy your -1 Def with a +2 Close Combat. The rest of your team is on the whole, fairly solid, but this one is not well-thought out. TBH though, Hitmontop is a poor spinner anyway and really needs to go down to RU next gen.

TIP: If you really want a rapid spinner that also is a physical tank, go for Claydol or Blastoise. Blastoise has far superior HP and a higher Def stat too, as well as being weak to no physical attacks whatsoever in the entirety of UU! Wild Charge and Thunderpunch basically don't exist in UU (Azelf can use the latter but Azelf is rare), while every grass type in UU is specially oriented except from the uncommon Virizion (who is sometimes in a special set anyway) - oh, and he gets Scald to ruin most physical attackers that DO scare him. Claydol's got more physical bulk (and similar special bulk) than Hitmontop, but its only advantage over Blastoise is a resistance to common fighting type attacks (though its two immunities are nice).

TIP: On the other hand, you have zero Pokemon weak to Stealth Rocks, a poison type to remove T Spikes who can also use Nat Cure + Rest, and a pokemon with Regenerator. Your team is really not that weak to entry hazards as it is, so you could opt for something else altogether instead of using a spinner. Since this is primarily a stall team, Sableye works wonders by packing priority Taunt, as well as a multitude of priority support options like Will-o-wisp, Toxic, Recover; in addition he gets some interesting offensive options like Night Shade and Foul Play. If you want to immediately counter opposing stall or need an extra defense against physical attackers or hazard layers, he's your guy (I even use him in OU, a far more powerful tier, with decent success).

Finally your Swampert has Scald, which is nonsensicle IMO. Move the last 4 EVs into Attack and use Waterfall instead, or if Gligar really scares you (even though you should have slowbro and maybe blastoise / sableye to deal with him), use Ice Beam which will easily 2HKO with no investment.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)