ORAS UU UU Team: Rain Dance M-Swampert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!!! So I've been playing around in UU these days after I got tired of doing AG and Ubers. I personally like to run fun teams that still can wreck compared to the predictable "All super-powerful" teams like the Arceus spams I see so often in AG and Ubers (oh dear lord those are annoying).

Last time I posted about a crappy Trick Room team that I built (as it was my first ever time making one of those, and my first UU team) which thanks to Punxsutawney Phil became quite nice :D. This time I made a Rain Dance team (as those seem to be quite rare and I like M-Pert a lot) which has been doing nicely but, I would like to see it being more effective.

Okay enough jibber-jabber, now onto the actual team!

NOTE: Rain Dance will be referred to as RD from now on.

Team-Building Process

1.) Special Sweeper: So I heard that Kingdra is a must for any UU RD team. I have also seen it being played effectively in RD teams during my time in OU. Hence I added Kingdra, which is a phenomenal special sweeper that can also play physical if needed. The Hydro Pump on this mon does a heck of a lot of damage and Draco Meteor can generally take care of other mons that Hydro Pump won't beat. Of course if the mon is a special wall, then go for physical.

2.) Bulky Physical Sweeper: Next up is the star of this team, M-Pert. M-Pert is the bomb.com when it comes to sweeping hard. Its fantastic Atk stat makes it an extremely powerful mon that can OHKO or 2HKO most other mons in the tier. It's also quite bulky which makes it an even more effective sweeper when RD is in play. Just keep swimming M-Pert. Just keep swimming.

3.) Suicide Lead/RD Set-Up: Of course having sweepers is wonderful, but I need a mon to set up RD. I was debating between Tornadus, Aerodactyl (since its the fastest), and Azelf (psychic typing which is not weak to electric). I said no to Aero since its basically a faster Tornadus who is better because of its ability, Prankster. Furthermore, it lacks a move that would allow for momentum in the team. Azelf is great but it lacks priority. Tornadus is fine but then I can't have a trap setter, but RD is more important which is why I went with it. Its Prankster ability will guarantee (usually) a RD which is key to this team. Plus its great Sp.Atk set allows it to take down one or two mons as well. Its great speed (for UU) allows it to be faster than most mons in the game which is always something nice.

4.) Defogger/Trap cleaner: I needed a defogger/trap cleaner in the team which was not slow (as a lot of the other mons are considerably slow) and it needed to be somewhat bulky as well. Who fit the bill? Crobat. Furthermore, crobat is a very fast mon that can hit grass types (which are a threat to all the swift swimmers) and fairy types hard.

5.) Cleric/Backup RD Set-Up: I need someone who can cure my team of annoying status problems and also recover some HP. Who do I call? The best cleric of UU, sylveon. Sylveon is also a fantastic pokemon in terms of both bulkiness and holding her own in terms of offense. Furthermore, due to her bulk she is another RD set-up mon.

6.) Another sweeper: It's always nice to just throw in another powerful sweeper, and who else can we ask other than the classic for RD, kabutops. Kabutops is a powerful mon who, with swords dance, can OHKO/2HKO practically any mon. Personally this is the one mon I am debating on replacing as setting up swords dance is no easy matter due to how fragile kabutops is, but it I can't help but agree that it is very rewarding to see this mon in action once it is ready to roll.

Team Specs
King (Kingdra) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Rash Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Waterfall

A mixed set for Kingdra which has turned out to make this mon an effective sweeper on both sides. Hydro Pump isn't the most accurate move out there, but the power it has is enough to easily OHKO or deal a ton of damage to a large variety of mons. Draco Meteor is for mons that can't be taken care of well by Hydro Pump. The two physical moves are the best there are for STAB with this mon.

S.W.A.M.P. (Swampert-Mega) (M) @ Swampertite
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Rain Dance

The star of the show is designed to hit really hard while keeping its bulk. 96 Spe is enough to outspeed most mons at 400 Spe with RD. Waterfall is STAB that will let this mon hit like a truck with its 438 Atk. EQ is also STAB that does ridiculous amounts of damage to steel, electric, rock, and fire types. Ice Punch takes care of dragons, grass which is the main threat, and flying mons. RD is there as a last resort speed boost or to use when the opponent switches and you run out of rain.

Aeolus (Tornadus) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

With prankster this mon is probably the most effective RD set-up in the UU meta. Of course there is our friend Whimsicott as well, but Whimsicott isn't able to hold its ground against other mons very well. RD is to set up for other mons to use. Hurricane is a terrific STAB that has potential to confuse opposing mons while also taking care of fighting and bug mons like M-Beedrill or the common Lucario, Cobalion, and the currently rising Machamp. Heat Wave is to take care of annoying steel types like Lucario, Cobalion, and Forretress. U-turn is for momentum and to hit some grass and dark pokes hard while doing so.

Four Wings (Crobat) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Atk / 4 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Cross Poison
- Defog
- U-turn

This mon is bulky but hits hard. Defog is to clear traps while Cross Poison is a great STAB move that will deal with grass and fairy types. U-turn is another alternative for dealing with grass but also has a lot of momentum. Brave Bird is the alternative STAB that will beat up mons as well.

Pixie (Sylveon) (F) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 96 SpA / 164 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Hyper Voice

The cleric of the team is bulky but also SpA boosted enough to make her Hyper Voice shine. Hyper Voice will beat up a variety of mons while RD is there since the cleric is bulky enough to set one up before switching out. Heal Bell is there to cure status and Wish will recover some HP. I could use Florges as well, but its not as balanced and Florges has less HP.

Fast and Furious (Kabutops) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

This is the standard Kabutops set for sweeping. Swords Dance boosts Atk to be past 730, so Waterfall can hit really hard, especially as its STAB. Stone Edge will get rid of flying types and fire types. Aqua Jet has priority so Arcanine or Lucario can't spam extremespeed without getting hit hard first.

Importable version of the team: http://pastebin.com/1AiAfnE1

All right now let's get to the structural problems this team has. I won't cover everything, but these are probably the most noticable things.

Structural Problems
  1. This team lacks a trap setter which will be key to effective sweeping. That's why Azelf and Aero were also potential considerations as the suicide lead. However I hate getting taunted so much and so hard that I went with Tornadus. Perhaps this can be partially solved by putting a mental herb on Aero or Azelf instead of having Tornadus.
  2. This team is quite the RD dependent team. Given, the bulk of the mons let this team last considerably long which is fine, but perhaps I should make Tornadus more bulky (so far its done fine, but this is a concern in the long run in the case that I actually want to use this team for climbing the ladder which is very tempting).
  3. There is a lack of momentum from the sweepers to the RD setters. RD Setters -> Sweep is fine but the other way around isn't very nice. Unfortunately I don't think this can be solved as the Sweepers don't really have any moves that can allow for a nice switch. The overall momentum is fine in the team, but for this team to maximize efficiency there needs to be a way to resolve the momentum issue when going from Sweepers -> RD setters.
  4. The only way to effectively wall break on this team is to hit hard really fast. This team lacks ways to stop walls by using moves like roar. The sweepers on the team hit hard, but not hard enough once some pokes decide to repeatedly use calm mind or work up.
Okay so now let's go to talking about mons that are threats to this team. Again, I probably won't be able to cover all of them.

Threats/Counters
  • Blissey: There isn't really a solid way to go around this monster with this team as there are no fighting type moves on any of the pokes in this team. I had considered adding power-up punch to M-pert but not sure if that will make the cut.
  • Suicune: Oh god no, especially roarCune. The bulk on this thing once it uses calm mind is ridiculously hard to stop with this team.
  • M-Beedrill (Kind of): I've noticed that M-Beedrill has been able to effectively do a lot of damage to this team due to its ridiculously high speed. Poison Jab as its STAB hurts a lot.
  • M-Sceptile: The only legit ways to get around this mon are either sylveon or RD + kingdra. Or pray that M-pert survives a hit and then kill it with ice punch.
  • Heliolisk: Heliolisk is a considerably fast electric type that is hard to take care of if RD is not active, specifically RD with M-pert.
  • Trick Room M-Ampharos: If I hit a Trick Room team with M-Ampharos, I am SCREWED. The only effective counter mon is M-pert.
  • Swampert/M-Swampert: I really don't have any options to deal with opposing swamperts. Luckily my M-pert will generally be faster due to its Spe EV, but even still I really have no mon to deal with them. I suppose an option is to put grass knot on Tornadus, which may also take care of Suicune as well.
That's all I have for this team. It's really fun to play with, especially since RD teams aren't very common in UU. Any critiques are welcome (please be respectful though)! Thank you!

Last edited:

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Heya! This team seems to be a bit unfocused, so I'll help you fix that issue. It seems that the main idea behind the team was taking advantage of rain, and so you should try to do that to its full extent, rather than trying to fit in a cleric, hazard removal, etc. Rain teams should be all about pressuring your opponent offensively as much as possible. Here are some changes that I think you should make to the team:

• As I was saying before, you don't need to focus on a slot for a hazard remover, let alone a bulky one that compromises momentum. The only team member weak to Stealth Rock on that team, other than Crobat, is Tornadus anyway. I suggest replacing Crobat with SD Qwilfish. This change gives you a mon that can actually fit on rain teams by maintaining offensive pressure, while still offering help against Fairies. This change also means that you'll have a grounded poison type to remove those pesky Toxic Spikes upon coming in, making hazard removal even less important for your team. Additionally, having access to Explosion also makes it easier to get past some really bulky threats to rain, such as Suicune and Cresselia (both get OHKOed by +2 Explosion after Rocks), as well as potentially gaining momentum for you. Here's the set:

Qwilfish @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Poison Jab
- Swords Dance
- Explosion​

• To further help against Suicune and other bulky waters, which can be a huge problem for rain teams, I suggest replacing Sylveon with Ludicolo. This change further adds onto the theme of Rain and gives you a mon that is able to hit opposing Water-types super effectively. Here's the set:

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump
- Rain Dance
- Ice Beam​

• Having Heat Wave on Tornadus is pretty redundant since its damage is reduced any time you're under rain (should be during most turns). I would instead opt for Focus Blast as it still helps against Steel-types, while also allowing you to take out Heliolisk.

• I would also change Kingdra's set from Mixed to being an Rain setter + Special Sweeper. You can do this by replacing Outrage with Ice Beam, replacing Waterfall with Rain Dance, and going for Max Special Attack and Speed EVs with a Modest nature. This change gives you an additional Rain Setter while also giving Kingdra better coverage. It would no longer necessarily have to rely on Draco Meteor against opposing Dragon-types and Grass-types.

• Your team has 4 Rain setters with the previous adjustments, but still no Stealth Rock setter. As opposed to hazard removal, having Stealth Rock on a team is pretty much mandatory, including on Rain teams. I suggest replacing Rain Dance with Stealth Rock on Mega Swampert to fix this issue. Mega Swampert is the only mon on the team that is able to learn Stealth Rock at this team, and it shouldn't be too much of a problem getting rain up with your other team members. Kingdra and Ludicolo are both pretty decent at setting up rain, and then you have priority Rain Dance with Tornadus.

I hope this helped, and good luck with the team!

Reactions: nv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)