UU team that somehow got to 1500 CRE.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
This is probably the best team I have made in any tier, as I reached a record 1500+ CRE for the first time playing Shoddy Battle. However, this team has some issues with stall and special attackers, and has been on a cold streak lately. The general strategy is to try to toxic as many pokemon as possible so Leafeon and Mismagius have easier times sweeping.

At a glance:

Omastar (M) @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP/12 Spd/244 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

---Omastar leads off, but unlike most teams where he tries to set up spikes, this guy is more concerned about sweeping right off the bat. Originally I had Spikes over Hidden Power Electric, but Omastar failed to last in time to set them up. Surf is for STAB and Ice Beam provides coverage against Grass-types. Omastar’s speed is too crippling to even try killing Electric-types with Earth Power. HP Grass is another option I have not tried yet as I have normally run HP Electric, but HP Grass takes down opposing Omastar and Kabutops more easily. Here is what Omastar does against the top 10 leads:

Froslass – Froslass normally wins as Thunderbolt is a 2HKO while Surf doesn’t even take out its Sash. It can get 2 layers of Spikes up as I don’t even have time to put SR up.
Uxie – Surf is a 3HKO. Normally I just get SR up and switch to Arcanine.
Ambipom – Omastar does really well here. Fake Out does less than 15 percent against Omastar with Life Orb damage factored in. Surf will OHKO with Life Orb but I have normally ran Leftovers in the past.
Moltres – Switch to Slowbro
Alakazam – If it has Energy Ball I lose, but I normally stay in against the normal lead set. I don’t even try setting up SR here and just go for the KO.
Electrode – Believe it or not, Omastar wins this matchup more than not. I normally Surf on turn 1 because it will normally try taunting me, which will KO under rain. Life Orb will OHKO standard Electrode about 60 percent of the time without rain setup. Omastar will survive a Thunderbolt no problems and Thunder (factoring a 30% chance of missing) will OHKO 22 percent of the time. If it sets up RD, I really do not care, as this team does really well against rain.
Omastar – With HP Grass and Leftovers, my Omastar will OHKO all variants. Normally here the switch is Slowbro, however.
Hippopotas – Surf on turn 1, SR on turn 2. Not a bad matchup.
Rhyperior – I changed my EV spread at the last minute to make sure I outspeed the Standard set. Surf is a guaranteed OHKO in this case. CB Rhyperior can cause some major problems with this team otherwise.
Cloyster –HP Electric/Grass nets a 2HKO even with Modest Nature + Life Orb. Normally I have run HP Electric because I thought Grass-type attacks weren’t super effective against him with the Ice component, but apparently the calc says it makes no difference between HP types.

Mismagius (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

With a Substitute, Mismagius can become one of the most potent threats in UU. This is my solution to revenge killing Moltres and some Rotom, who could otherwise rip through my team quite easily. This is a pretty standard set, but it works quite well. If I need a prayer, this is where I turn to, as I save Missy for the final end. More than once have I needed to stall out a Chansey with this guy, something Raikou struggles to do. Raikou also doesn’t have access to Nasty Plot. Rotom, while plausibly a nice compromise, doesn’t have the same boosting moves and speed without a Choice Item. This spot is the most likely the weakest link on my team, and should probably switch to a special wall.

Leafeon (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Leaf Blade
- Double-edge
- Quick Attack
- X-Scissor

---
CB Leafeon? Yeah, I know. I wanted something that could take down the water/grass combo that exists on pretty much every successful UU team. I scavenged the RMTs and found 20 teams that made the leaderboard. They all basically had a grass and a water type. With this set, Leafeon can take down both. Leaf Blade is my go-to move, but if I know they are switching to Venusaur (which is on 40% of UU teams these days it seems), Leafeon nets a 2HKO on the bulky versions. X-Scissor is mainly filler as Leafeon has a very limited offensive movepool. The main problem with this set is that it’s easily walled by Arcanine and Registeel, but that seems true of most Leafeon sets. Quick Attack is nice for revenge killing and seemed better than most other options (wait, it had other attacks? Shocking). This guy was the reason that I built this team, but per RMT policy everyone and every moveset is replaceable.

Hitmontop (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Fake Out
- Foresight

---
This is the first time I have used a Technitop set. Before, I used the standard Intimidate spinner sets, with good reason. I picked this set because I needed something to be a stopper for Rain Dance teams. In all of its UU battles, this team never lost to a Rain Dance team. Ever. Maybe it happened once in the far past, but I don’t remember losing to one. Normally if I face a Rain Dance team, I let Omastar die by Electrode or some other member of their sweeping parade. Here are some calculations of what Fake Out + Mach Punch does to certain Rain team members (assuming their normal Rain sets):

Ludicolo: 32% - 37.7% + 47.8% - 56.3% (Offensive Special Set)
Gorebyss: 27.7% - 32.7%+ 41.5% - 48.8%
Kabutops: Mach does 77.4% - 91%
Raikou (4/0): 29.8% - 35.1%+ 44.7% - 52.5%
Omastar: Mach does 66% - 78.7%
Qwilfish: Fake Out 35.4% - 41.7% (then switch to Slowbro)

What’s nice about Fake Out is that it also cuts a turn off of the Rain Dance. If Mach Punch then KOs, that’s two turns of rain wasted. Since most of these do not lead into OHKOs, I normally switch to Slowbro or Leafeon if it’s not in the KO range, however, with Life Orb recoil and possible SR damage Rain pokes get damaged pretty quickly.

Hitmontop’s main weakness is to ghosts, specifically ones with Will-o-Wisp. Rotom and Mismagius are two of the team’s biggest problems, as all of my team is either 2HKOed by Thunderbolt or crippled by Will-o-Wisp. Raikou is also a huge problem.

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Slack Off
- Psychic
- Toxic

---
I used Slowking as a pillar of one of my more successful NU teams, and I figured Slowbro could fill the same role. I haven’t been disappointed running this same set. Slowbro is my answer to Fighting-types and serves as a physical wall. Slack Off is amazing on this guy, as there is nothing more satisfying knowing that your opponent cannot hit more than 56% of your health and dying a slow, painful death. Toxic was my last move of choice, as it helps Slowbro win one-on-one against offensive Milotic and helps it stall out opponents when I need it to. While a great physical wall, I might want to EV this to make sure Moltres can’t 2HKO it with Hidden Power Grass.

Arcanine (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP/196 Def/72 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Extremespeed
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Toxic

I went with a Bulky Arcanine set as this is normally the first switch-in from Omastar that I have. Like Slowbro, Arcanine also has a 50 percent recovery move plus Toxic to help it stall out threats. Lum Berry is typical on lead versions, and I kept it on because I switch this in to Venusaur most of the time. I took the speed from the Bulky Arcanine set, but should probably move it back to 64 speed EVs and pour the rest into Defense. I haven’t missed the extra power from Flare Blitz or Extremespeed, to be honest. Arcanine has 256 attack with this set, which isn’t terrible.

Problem pokes:

Raikou: Frankly, I am stunned I got so high up with such a large Raikou weakness. If it gets a sub and CM up, it’s gg. Quite sad.

Rotom and Mismagius: Both of these cripple my Hitmontop with Will-o-Wisp and stop CB Leafeon from using Double-Edge.

Moltres: With Mismagius down Moltres has a field day.

CB Rhyperior: Man, this thing can hit like a tank! Sure Leafeon can revenge kill it but I normally have to lose a few people on my team.

NP Toxicroak: While not all that common, I simply have no answer for it if Mismagius goes down.

So how did this team do so well again with such a glaring special weakness? Frankly, I don’t know. But it worked somehow. Rate/rave/steal/hate/whatever. I'll post pictures up later.

Chane lead to regirock if only setting up stealth rocks and no spikes. Just better and can handle moltres.

Stuff to try will expand on later
SD leafeon more power and ability to switch moves
Offensive arcanine with hp grass
Registeel and slowking defensive core over top who is a waste of a slot in this case and wil be replaced by offensive arcanine as revengep killerish. bro doesn't have the special bulk. Will cover raikou and help with rain while spreading paralysis

Ok I suggest replacing Slowbro with it's fellow shellwearing brethren Slowking since Leafeon and Arcanine have some good defensive bulk:

Slowking (M)@ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
EV's: 212 HP / 44 SpA / 252 SpD
- Surf
- Thunder Wave/Toxic/Light Screen
- Ice Beam/Psychic/Grass Knot/HP Electric
- Slack Off

With the EV's Slowking will reach 350HP and 384 SpD.
I'll do a full rate later.

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I second Slowking; you can still handily beat Azumarill, you can generally fare much better against Milotic and even feign it into thinking you have Nasty Plot for some reason, you're MUCH weaker to Moltres, although you'll take a bit more of a sting against fighting attacks.

I'm not gonna do a full rate later, but if you just needed a second opinion, there you go.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
I ran Slowking on my NU team, and figure since Slowbro is UU, he would do better. Here is the set I would run for Slowking:

Asperger (Slowking) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/40 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Slack Off
- Surf
- Psychic
- Toxic
---

This is the exact same set Slowbro runs except I maximized the defenses for Slowking. A quick comparison:

Slowking: 394-167-275-236-266-96
Slowbro: 394-167-350-236-196-97

Slowbro after maximizing defenses on X-Act's applet is 394-167-266-236-275-96. That's with 252 HP, 40 Def, 216 S Defense with Calm Nature.

I actually like the gimmicky CB Leafeon. No one will expect it and it may not have the power as the SD one, but this team apparently did really well and it does counter to an extent, the water/grass combo.

And please replace Toxic on Arcanine with either Iron Head or Thunder Fang, it is already on Slowbro/king and Arcanine would do better with more type coverage.

*A lot of what I can think of were already suggested. I like the Omastar lead and CB Leafeon. I might like to use them myself in the future.

*Speaking of Omastar, I suggest replacing HP grass with HP rock. You only seem to use grass on Cloyster, which is only a 2HKO. HP rock is much more powerful. Here is some calcs example that might grab your attention.

vs (252/252) Cloyster: 94.7% - 111.2%
vs (248/0) Froslass: 89.2% - 105.5%

That's with leftovers as your item. Life orb will do a lot more damage. Rindo Berry is also an option if you want to survive Moltres's HP grass. Then you can OHKO with HP rock. Focus Sash is also an option if you want to assure survival to more moves.

*Finally, I can suggest Aerial Ace as an option for Leafeon. I gives you more coverage aginst bug and fighting, and hits Venusaur for more damage than Double Edge. Not really much else with the move however.

That's all I can think of as of now. Hope I've helped.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi Toshi,

After reading this RMT and viewing its problems and whatnot, I think its safe to say that adding a Registeel will help you remedy your primary threats. It makes sense since a "RegiBro" combination has always been a consistent defensive core. Registeel checks your Raikou, Mismagius, and Rotom easily provided they don't pack Will-O-Wisp, in which case your team can handle nicely. It also checks Rain Dance nicely. Replacing something is always difficult but your best shot at improving your type coverage is removing Omastar all-together. The Registeel set is Shadow Claw / Ice Punch / Stealth Rock / Seismic Toss with the EVs 252 HP / 100 Atk / 156 SpD with the nature Careful. A three-attack Registeel seems to fit the most to cover every single threat you can. You can however, replace Shadow Claw with Thunder Wave if paralysis is more preferred for you. Just know that you'll miss out on hitting Substitute Rotom for super effective damage, and Mismagius for super. Ice Punch is there to prevent Dugtrio from killing you easily, while also having the added bonus of dealing with the RestTalk Altaria. Seismic Toss is mostly filler, but it hits opposing Steels for solid consistent damage. You can try Registeel in the lead slot, it works nicely as i've seen people use it there.

Now for several tweaks to help you out. Firstly, there is no need to wack a CB on Leafeon; it is really unecessary for your team. I'd like you to try out an SD set to provide more firepower against stall teams - the problem you pointed out. Similar EVs, but with a Jolly nature to outpace beneficial 80's and 90's with the movesets SD / Leaf Blade / Return / Synthesis with Life Orb as an item. This is a powerful set from experience in conjunction with Synthesis. The recovery allows you to consistently check your Torterra problem. The second tweak to consider is the addition of taunt Mismagius over Substitute. Taunt Mismagius is a scary weapon against stall teams maybe that should help you out a bit. The only thing you'll miss out with Sub is dodging Sucker Punch, but that's rare anyways in today's metagame. Taunt is far more valuable to remedy your stall problems. Lastly, you might want to consider an EV spread of 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe with a Timid nature on Arcanine. A simple tweak to the spread; all it does is it allows you to outpace base 80s so that you can effectively check Venusaur to the fullest. Lum Berry is not really needed imo, you can try Leftovers if you want for extra survivability.

As for other options, going for Slowking isn't a bad idea as the people suggested it. It really remedies your Moltres weakness. Besides I don't think you'll lose anything at all with Slowking, as you can still check several physical threats with the right investment. With that said, go for the EV spread 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD with a Calm nature and you should be good. The Def EVs allows you to switch into Fighting hits and physical attackers in general. Also allows you to survive CB Flare Blitz from Arcanine. overall gl.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Thank you for all of the rates! Right now I am testing the new EV spreads on Slowbro and Arcanine and replacing Omastar with Registeel. I also replaced the CB on Leafeon with a Life Orb with the set j. franky suggested, with the one exception being Double-Edge over Return because I like the power.

There are some changes to this team but I will keep them hidden because of the SPL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)