VGC Venusaur Core [VGC RMT]

Introduction
I've made a couple RMT's for VGC in the last few days (none which many of you at all have replied to, sadly -_-), but I wanted to try something not new to players, but new to me. Dragon/Steel/Fairy and Water/Fire/Grass cores. I figured I'd definitely give it my best shot, so please rate and critique what I could do better.

At a glance:

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Rock Slide/Stone Edge(?)

There are plenty of opportunities to use it in a physically-oriented metagame that creates a demand for Intimidate. As for the moves, the two Dragon ones are indispensable, and while it may have shaky accuracy I decided to used Fire Blast for the fire moveslot, which can strike Mega Lucario down in one hit and take half of Aegislash's health off. Lastly, Stone Edge, which ignores Wide Guard and KOs Mega Charizard Y even when intimidated. Pretty standard set. He's my intimidate support and a good check to Garchomp.

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Protect

At first, I used Life Orb, but too many times I'd faint when I really needed him against certain Pokemon. To patch up my team's effectiveness against sleep (and because Will-O-Wisp's often come headed towards Garchomp) I made it hold a Lum Berry. Standard moveset and EV spread. Not too much to say here. Chomp is Chomp.

-->

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll --> Thick Fat
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

With Thick Fat removing all but two of its weaknesses, M-Venusaur has a lot of power to stay in the match. With the exception of Choice Banded Brave Bird from Talonflame, there isn't really anything that can OHKO it. Giga Drain, which gets STAB, hits Rotom-W super effectively and its recovery effect fits right into Mega Venusaur's playstyle. I wanted to add HP Fire to hit Steel types, but there were situations where I wanted to hit Fire types too, and being able to hit Gardevoir super effectively was important so I ran Sludge Bomb.

Rotom-Heat @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 200 HP / 88 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

It feels a little less stable than Rotom-W, but the Fairy resistance and anti-Charizard-Y properties make it stand out. It takes all the attacks of Talonflame and Ice attacks that are meant for my Dragons. The consistent Thunderbolt and Steel-hitting Overheat were no-brainers, but for a status move I used Thunder Wave instead of Will-O-Wisp due to accuracy and if I get hit by Rock Slide, and flinch, that's even worse. Rotom-Heat also opens up the possibility of Mega Venusaur stalling out a paralyzed opponent with repeated Synthesis's.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

A Pokémon with an excellent typing that completely walls Salamence. Most people expect a Belly Drum set in preview, so this gets them off-guard sometimes. If it doesn't flinch it can check the likes of Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Tyranitar, too. With AV, it became able to attack confidently even in the face of Mega Manectric and win against Rotom-H one-on-one. Being able to survive Mega Charizard Y's Solarbeam is huge too. I added Superpower in place of, say, Protect to deal with Tyranitar.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP/ 76 SpD / 180 SpA
IV's: 0 Spe
Quiet Nature
- King’s Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute

It has magnificent type synergy with Salamence, and since Salamence often wants to switch out after firing off its Draco Meteor having it in the back is extremely handy. And conversely, Salamence can easily takes the Fire and Ground attacks that are aimed at Aegislash, so they are truly the best of partners. At first, I was trying the Sacred Sword set, but for some reasons, I went to a basic Flash Cannon set.

Typing chart:

Replays:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/vgc2014-154240137[/spoiler]

Thank-you for checking out my team! Please rate it and give criticism.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)