• Outrage
  • Reflect
  • Safeguard
  • Swagger
  • Terrain Pulse
  • Work Up

Competitively Usable Moves

Offensive (Physical)
Knock Off, Power Whip, Petal Blizzard, Earthquake, Poison Jab, Tera Blast, Trailblaze,

Offensive (Special)
Solar Beam, Sludge Bomb, Giga Drain, Energy Ball, Earth Power, Weather Ball, Tera Blast, Leaf Storm

Utility
Toxic, Substitute, Protect, Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, Growth, Swords Dance, Synthesis

Base Stats:
HP: 80
Attack: 82
Defense: 83
Special Attack:100
Special Defense: 100
Speed: 80
(BST: 525)

Potential Sets:
Sun Special Breaker
Venusaur @ Life Orb/Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Chlorophyll
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Growth
- Sludge Bomb/Solar Beam/Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Weather Ball

This famous set from Gen8 is back with a vengeance to reap the Gen9 tier again! Pretty simple to use, with growth you can get an immediate +2 special attack boost which can enable you to be a strong special breaker while the sun is boosting your speed to blitzering heights. Sludge bomb will be your stab of choice because it allows you to destroy fairies like Clefable while also having a scary 30% poison chance that can cripple checks down into the range of your other moves. Earth Power is very notable for hitting Slowking-Galar and Heatran super effectively. Finally, Weather-Ball is an all-around very powerful fire move that melts steels that Earth Power can't reach such as Corv and Balloon Dengo. A notable move you can try to squeeze in is Solar Beam to unleash dangerous 120 Bp grass stab into other waters and ground types or Giga Drain to still hit these types but also regain some hp for longer longevity in-game. This Pokemon is mainly a sun threat, so it should mainly only be seen in sun teams, Additionally, it does complement a fire+water+grass core with fellow companions Gouging Flame and Walking Wake in sun teams.

Pros:
  • Immediate threat under the sun and its coverage hits most of the tier neutrally or super-effectively
  • Unlike other sun breakers, it is not hazards weak, which will pro-long its longevity over time in a game in this hazard-centered meta
  • Has good natural bulk that can allow it to nail a growth boost which is usually enough for it to sweep teams

Cons:
  • Very sun reliant, without the sun it is slow and can easily be revenge killed
  • Depending item slot, boots may not be enough for you to nab KO’s and Life Orb cuts into longevity a lot if you are not running giga drain
  • It is NOT faster than Iron Boulder under the sun when it is boosted by booster energy, even with its timid nature so this can be troublesome to deal with
  • Forced to run Timid because of booster Val

Conclusion: Sun is going to cause havoc after terapagos ban, and venusaur will be the main one promoting it!

Last edited:
I would say Tera Fire is going to be very strong as that will further boost Weather Ball in Sun to even higher damage off an already 100BP move.
This thing is going to have near perfect coverage with the now addition of a Tera Boost

I would say Tera Fire is going to be very strong as that will further boost Weather Ball in Sun to even higher damage off an already 100BP move.
This thing is going to have near perfect coverage with the now addition of a Tera Boost
I will edit that in, I sorta just chose water as a defensive back bone

Sun's been waiting an eternity for this thing to come back, and although the meta is extremely young I can say with some level of confidence that Venusaur does not disappoint in the slightest. Tera Fire makes its Weather Balls absurdly hard to stomach and has some solid synergy with Venusaur's native Grass/Poison typing by giving it an Ice Shard resist while keeping half of its Grassy Glide resistance, and Fire+Ground with whatever STAB Venusaur opts to run is pretty much impossible to resist beyond using Air Balloon Heatran.

Raging Bolt and Gouging Fire (as well as the old tried-and-true Walking Wake) provide some nifty defensive utility by eating sun-boosted Fire-type attacks for breakfast for this thing and they can all wallbreak incredibly well, opening up an easy cleanup job for what is probably going to be the fastest mon on either team.

Really cool mon and I'm glad it's back. Just gonna be a shame when Brute Bonnet and Lilligant-H get their niches devoured by it.

This thing is an absolute monster right now early meta. Has very few switch ins and a lot of times can tear teams apart without even thinking about having to boost. I'd say the only current downside is that you pretty much gave to run timid because there are some fast bois out there and a lot of them get speed boosts off rip, whether because of booster or proto boosts in sun. Even then Venu is a strong addition to sun that's great for wallbreaking and late game cleanup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)