VGC '14 Sunny Day Trick Room

Looking for a little feedback on this VGC team. All the EV spreads are (or tried to be) base 8 to account for the meta being level 50. I've been using this on Showdown to decent success, and crawled up to around a 1700 rating on Battle Spot (recently dropping to 1650) with it.

On Battle Spot the team is pretty streaky, when it works it works great and I can string together wins effectively. But I've also built up a couple of losing streaks that I think I can optimize out.

The main strategy here is to use Meowstic to create a bulky team that is hard to screw with strategy wise (status or damage), and either run Zard-Venusaur to sweep with Heat Wave and Growth'd Giga Drains or run with Slowking-Mawile and roll Trick Room. Greninja is the man in the middle right, playing a flex spot for both teams.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meowstic [Male] @ Light Clay
Prankster (Hidden Ability)
248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpDef
Impish
-Quick Guard
-Safeguard
-Reflect
-Light Screen

Meowstic helps keep the team alive. Screens are obvious, as is Safeguard. I've really fallen in love with Quick Guard, being able to shut down turn 1 Fake Outs or Talonflame revenge kills is fantastic. Quick Guard also shuts down status moves from other Prankster users which allows me to abuse the +3 priority and invest EVs into bulk and not worry about speed wars.

However, there is some slight overlap in the use of Quick Guard and Safeguard that makes me feel like might be worth replacing Safeguard with Thunder Wave or even Psychic. Thunder Wave helps Zard sweep, but Psychic helps avoid instant losses when Meowstic is the last mon standing. Both Safeguard and Quick Guard have won me games so its really hard to make a change.

With this spread its rather hard to OHKO Meowstic, which at least ensures I'm getting Reflect and Light Screen up unless doubled up on. The only thing I think causes this set problems is faster Prankster users with Taunt, which I think limits it to Murkrows.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Solar Power
12 HP / 248 Sp Att / 248 Speed
Modest
-Heat Wave
-Dragon Pulse
-Solar Beam
-Protect

Heat Wave all the things. Zard Y Heat Waves under the sun are scary, and sun helps Venusaur sweep and play support with faster Sleep Powders. Solar Beam and Dragon Pulse are for coverage. Modest DPs do a good chunk of damage to bulky dragons, and with screens up Zard Y is hard to kill outside of Rock Slide and Stone Edges. Protect has been situationally useful, and can sometimes be counter productive if I have all my screens and guards up. Air Slash might be better, but I usually find myself want to stack damage on both sides of the field with Heat Wave instead.

Rock Slide here is a pain, and this team doesn't have the most effective switch ins for beefy ones. Usually Protecting to get sun up and bouncing to Venusaur works (with a Reflect), but switching in doubles can be risky.

Venusaur @ Sitrus Berry
Chlorophyll (Hidden Ability)
172 HP / 248 Sp Att / 88 Speed
Timid
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Sleep Powder
-Growth

Half way between support and sweeper, but it can be effective. The HP has saved my ass a number of times allowing for a Growth or a Sleep Powder but the EVs might not be fully optimized. I've bounced around with the hold item a bit, starting with a Maranga Berry to try to get even bulkier on the special side but Sitrus is more flexible. Absorb Bulb is tempting, but with the reduced power of water in the sun I find few opportunities to get use out of it.

Giga and Sludge Bomb are fairly standard attacks, neither I would want to give up. SB for Fairies and GD for staying alive. Talonflame here is probably the biggest threat to Venusaur, but Meowstic with Quick Guard is handy for shutting that down. And I've yet to see any Scarf Talonflames yet.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Protean (Hidden Ability)
Timid
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot
-Extrasensory
-Mat Block

The weird mon for my team, him and Meow generally work on both the Sun and Trick teams. I run Mat Block here mostly due to legacy. I thought the move sounded amazing, but it ends up being a little under used in practice. I might just need to get better at using it, but I'm really tempted to replace it. I just don't know with what.

The rest of the set is about just hitting stuff hard and having decent coverage to open up the Sun/Trick team behind him. I left out water attacks due to being on Sun teams occasionally and Grass Knot seems to cover a few of the Pokemon I could use water attacks on (mainly Tyranitar).

This is the spot I feel like I can optimize with a better Pokemon the most. I've been experimenting with Conkeldurr and other fighting types, but nothing seems to really fit right.

Slowking @ Weakness Policy
Oblivious
248 HP / 12 Def / 248 Sp Att
Quiet
-Flamethrower
-Power Gem
-Psychic
-Trick Room

Instead of worrying about Trick Room (which I feel is a little less common this gen for some reason), I thought I'd build out half my team to use it. Slowking is pretty interesting, being bulky, slow, and generally hard hitting. At first I had Safety Goggles here to prevent Sleep, but Meowstic handles that for me and Weakness Policy really ratchets up his sweeping potential (thanks to being hard to kill with SE attacks).

Flamethrower and Psychic are simple choices I think. Fire Blast was replaced due to accuracy, and with a Weakness Policy boost the extra power is unnecessary. Power Gem is a bit of the funky side, mostly there to kill Charizard Y under sun where water attacks would fail to and it helps cover Talonflame.

Oblivious is to avoid Taunts preventing Trick Room from setting up.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Intimidate
248 HP / 248 Att / 12 Sp Def
Adamant
-Sucker Punch
-Play Rough
-Fire Fang
-Swords Dance

Mawile walks a weird line, not fully invested in negative speed to maximize Trick Room use but is generally slow enough that it works anyways. He is my Trick Room 'mega', and handles things extremely effectively. This is another odd spot that I'm trying to "optimize" and see if there is a better choice, but currently this is what I've found to be effective.

Slowking has difficulty handling things like Tyranitar, but Play Rough man handles him. The only problem comes down to speed, Ttar is way too variable to nail down even having Scarf sets floating around. This has me wondering if Mega Abomasnow is a better choice, but I found his power to be rather underwhelming in comparison to Mawile. Other Megas straddle the speed tiers a little too much for me to be confident in using them outside of Trick Room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

With that block of text out of the way, I'm not really sure where to start polishing the team. I've run through some iterations of the hold items and moves already and this is kind of where I got stuck. I feel like there is potential to tie up the loose ends, but every time I come back to restructuring it I find myself doing a completely new team.

Any tips?

EDIT: Had the wrong ability on Slowking. Derp.

Last edited:
Figured I'd update this a little after taking a modified version of the team above to the Long Beach VGCs. I managed to place in the top 32 (went 7-2 in Flight B), but got bounced in the first round. I discovered some problems with this team, so I'm trying to tune it up for a Revision 2. This is more my post-mortem for this team from the VGCs and discussing some of the changes I made and how they impacted me during Regionals.

Meowstic [Male] @ Light Clay
Prankster (Hidden Ability)
248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpDef
Impish
-Quick Guard
-Safeguard
-Reflect
-Light Screen

Meowstic went unchanged between posting this and going to Regionals. The set proved to be extremely effective, blocking a few status conditions and priority moves through the swiss portion of the tournament. One odd problem however was Meowstic's inability to die when I wanted him to. Most of the time I prefer getting Screens and Safeguard set up, and having Meowstic bite the dust after three turns to provide a clean switch in.

But this set proved to be a little too bulky for that, putting me into awkward switch scenarios or Quick Guard spamming phases. I'm thinking of revisiting this EV spread to lighten up on the bulk, and dropping that back into Speed so I can outrun other Prankster users.

Charizard
@ Charizardite Y
Solar Power
Modest
-Heat Wave
-Dragon Pulse
-Fire Pledge
-Protect

The core of the team is still the same, Sun. Charizard Y is still a beast to be careful of, but apparently so much that people have Rock Slide on damn near everything to make sure he is shut down. This wasn't a major issue until I hit top cut, where I was faced with a team that very easily shut down my core offense.

Before heading off to VGCs I changed up my team to have the Pledge moves there. From what I could tell, the Pledge moves allowed me to piggyback Charizard Y's power on top of Venusaur's speed, and launch some very fast and very powerful 160 BP fire attacks (Fire+Grass Pledge) to open up turns. This was at the sacrifice of Solar Beam, but that was situationally useful at best, with Venusaur capable to cover problematic Water types like Rotom-W.

Heat Wave was a star, taking out a number of people's leads at once. Especially when paired with Meowstic and Quick Guard, it allowed a couple of free turns for Zard to Heat Wave. However, I get the feeling that I'd be better served with a single target high powered fire attack in place of both Heat Wave and Fire Pledge (say Fire Blast) and flipping the open move slot for more coverage.

Dragon Pulse was also fairly useless, outside of providing some neutral damage on Chandelure. It wasn't that much damage, but it did end up being meaningful and allowing me to KO it in the following turn.

Venusaur @ Sitrus Berry
Chlorophyll (Hidden Ability)
172 HP / 248 Sp Att / 88 Speed
Timid
-Grass Pledge
-Sludge Bomb
-Protect
-Growth

Zardy's bro, this set is fairly straight forward. Giga Drain was dropped for Grass Pledge for the reasons stated in Zard-Ys analysis, and Sleep Powder dropped for Protect. Protect allows for an easier time getting set up, and Sleep Powder was proving to be very unreliable in testing thanks to all the Prankster Safeguards that were floating around.

Venusaur did well at VGCs, getting in some occasional Growth's and fast dealing damage. Sludge Bomb ended up being fairly ineffective, as the only time I felt the need to hit a Fairy was against Mawiles who is immune.

If I drop the Pledges from this team, I'm likely to flip Grass Pledge back to Giga Drain or Energy Ball after I pound through some calcs. I'm not sure what to flip for Sludge Bomb yet, or even if I need to. But it is on the radar.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Protean (Hidden Ability)
Timid
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot
-Extrasensory
-Water Pledge

Greninja might have been the MVP of this team during the swiss round. The number of dragon's he destroyed was numerous, even those packing Yache Berries. He was even core in a major comeback I had, using Water+Grass Pledge to slow down an opponents team and allowing him and Venusaur to clean up and secure a win.

Extrasensory however was the odd move out, rarely getting used. I usually like it there for checking Rotom-Ws, who otherwise completely walls this set (believe it is a 2HKO on most), but I didn't run into that situation very often during Swiss as Venusaur was in position to take them out. Protect might be a wiser choice moving forward.

Slowking @ Weakness Policy
Oblivious
248 HP / 12 Def / 248 Sp Att
Quiet
-Flamethrower
-Power Gem
-Psychic
-Trick Room

Slowking, while I enjoy this set when it works, did very little at VGCs for me. Not only did I end up leaning on the Drought half of my team, but when I did bring along King he did little outside of getting Trick Room up before biting the dust. I thought I was being clever with Oblivious to avoid Taunts, but I didn't run into a single Taunt while at Regionals, let alone one directed at Slowking.

The combination of poor offense and relying on Weakness Policy to get Slowking any room to sweep ended up being problematic and ineffective.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Intimidate
248 HP / 248 Att / 12 Sp Def
Adamant
-Sucker Punch
-Play Rough
-Fire Fang
-Iron Head

At the last moment I swapped out Swords Dance for Iron Head, and got decent results from the change. Mawile already hits hard enough and in Doubles I wasn't getting any room to Swords Dance. It was a toss up between Protect or Iron Head, but I went with the coverage instead. Iron Head ended up being used once to obliterate a Aromatisse, which was fairly satisfying.

Mawile proved effective when brought in, but for the most part stayed on the bench. This slot, along with Slowkings, I feel would be better served to cover some of this teams weaknesses, instead of trying to pivot into a different strategy all together.

Losses:
My first loss in the Swiss round is fairly dismissible, I simply played terribly. My opponent was good, also placing into top 32, but I played straight into his hand by being extremely predictable. The second loss came down to a Venusaur with Light Screen versus a Rotom-H at -2 SpAtt, getting a critical hit Overheat knocking out Venusaur. I feel like it is hard to take much away from those battles, outside of maybe just optimizing some of my EV spreads a little better and stop being bad at video games.

The loss in top 32 really stands out though, as the team had a trio of that completely shut down both versions (trick or sun) of this team: Tyranitar, Salamence, and Rotom-H.

Rotom-H is apparently a huge problem for this team, shutting down Venusaur, Charizard-Y, and Mawile. Greninja sort of helps, but can't switch in for fear of Thunderbolts and I believe cannot OHKO with Water Pledge regardless. Rotom-H was also effective at shutting down my Waterless Slowking, keeping Trick Room in check.

Salamence was scarfed and mixed, carrying Rock Slide to shutdown Zard, Fire Blast for Venusaur and Mawile, and Draco Meteor for everything else. Greninja was the only thing I could threaten it with, but was splattered by faster attacks.

Tyranitar isn't usually an issue for Mawile, but this one was mixed carrying Fire Blast. Any combo of Fire Blast and other attacks would finish off Mawile generally before getting a chance to move, and even after an Intimidate Tyranitar still squashed Zard-Y with Rock Slide so the utility wasn't the most effective.

Conclusion:
This team is decent, but flawed. I felt like this was the case while testing it, but didn't find anything else I really liked prior to Regionals so I ran with it. I'm extremely happy with the performance I got out of this group but I have some heavy optimizing to do. In fact, the only three Pokemon I think will even return to a revision 2 are Zard-Y, Venusaur, and Meowstic. Time to get calculating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)