VGC VGC 2017 Team

Hello! This is the first time I have posted on an RMT so thank you for your patience if I make any mistakes. This is also my first team! I created this team around Alolan-Raichu. I'm rather new to competitive Pokemon and so my team might be quite bad, but please tell me anything I can do to improve.

Raichu-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Grass Knot
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot

I did max SpA and Spa to strike hard and fast first so Raichu isn't KOd before it can move. However, I wanted to be able to set up Nasty Plot to 1HKO any more fragile Pokemon with a type disadvantage so I equipped Focus Sash so it could at least move once after Nasty Plot. I put Thunder and Psychic as STAB and Grass Knot to take down heavier Pokemon and have more grass- moves to my team. Alolan Raichu is also useful against Tapu Koko, which is rather common as its Electric Terrain doubles Raichu's speed.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Baneful Bunker
- Scald

Toxapex is a defensive wall that is very hard to kill and can stall with Toxic. I used Black Sludge, Recover, and max HP/Def IVs to keep it alive as long as possible. I used Regenerator so Toxapex can be switched out with enough health to survive a turn and use Recover when it's put back in.

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Recover
- Shadow Ball
- Blizzard

I use Z-Hyper Beam to 1HKO some more fragile threats and Adaptability for STAB-Hyper Beam, which can take at least 70% HP from most Pokemon in the meta. Max HP to stay alive longer and SpA to hit hard. Blizzard checks Garchomp (a threat to Raichu and Kommo-o) and Shadow Ball is much-needed ghost type coverage. Finally, a timid nature to boost speed so it can hopefully use it's Z-move before being killed.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Protect

Celesteela has incredible defense and a good typing that is immune to earthquake, a threat to some of my other 'mons. I maxed HP and Attack to keep it alive while doing at least decent damage. I used leech seed and leftovers to, again, keep it alive. Iron Head to take out fairies that can threaten Kommo-o, Rock Slide to hit both enemies on low HP, and Protect pretty much essential in VGC.

Kommo-o @ Assault Vest
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Claw
- Focus Blast

I like Kommo-o because of it's solid typing and offensive capabilities. I used Assault Vest to improve SpD, and Clanging Scales and Focus Blast as a strong, multi-hitting STAB. Flamethrower takes grass- and steel- types, and Shadow Claw to take on ghost- types. Max HP and SpA to maximize longevity and damage.

Milotic @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Protect
- Hydro Pump

Milotic is a strong, bulky, but versatile Pokemon that works well in doubles. Competitive can rocket it's SpA and Calm nature improved it's already high SpD. Hydro Pump as a STAB, Ice Beam as an alternate attack, and Recover and Protect to keep it healthy. Also a Sitrus Berry to turn around a bad situation.

And that's that! Please feel free to help, I'd be very grateful :toast:

Hello! I can tell this is your first team, but I'll do my best to help.

First off, as you mentioned for Celesteela, protect is necessary in VGC, but you're missing it on some frailer pokemon (i.e. Raichu) that definitely need it.

I'll just go down the list of Pokemon. Raichu is definitely fine in VGC, but using Thunder without a rain setter isn't going to work. The accuracy is too shaky, and consistency is key in competitive Pokemon. Nasty Plot like isn't a great idea, since setting up in doubles and VGC especially is quite difficult, so you can maybe replace that with Protect. Grass Knot isn't the greatest move, because it doesn't really hit anything specifically in the meta. Sash is an okay item, since Raichu is in fact quite frail. I also recommend a Timid nature to outspeed certain threats.

Now Toxapex is definitely a good wall, but in singles. It's considerably worse in doubles, and not worth using. Now, because you have Raichu, whose ability doubles it's speed in terrain, and the fact that you are lacking a Tapu on your team, I highly recommend using Tapu Koko, which is a great Pokemon itself and can setup electric terrain for your Raichu. If you want to use it, make sure to use a special one (with a Timid/Modest nature), with Thunderbolt, Dazzling Gleam, a move of your choice, and Protect.

Moving on, Porygon-Z is also not the greatest in VGC, but if you would like to use it you still definitely can. Porygon-Z will likely need protect, and get rid of Blizzard because it's too inaccurate. Now, if you're unaware, the main niche with Porygon-Z is it's ability to use Z-Conversion, which boosts all of it's stats by one, and changes it's typing. Now, again, you don't HAVE to do this, but it's probably the only thing that makes it viable. Replace Hyper Beam with Conversion, as Hyper Beam's recharge just isn't good. In the first moveslot, put a move like Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, or Ice Beam, and Conversion will give you the stat boosts and change your typing to whatever is the type of the first move on Porygon. This allows it to become extremely power, and have a different stab type. Another option over Porygon-Z is Porygon2, which has much, much more viability. Besides (Tapu Koko) and Alolan Raichu, your team is fairly slow, and having Trick Room as an option is always good.

Next up is Celesteela, which is pretty much perfectly find on this team. No reason to change much there, except maybe putting a Fire type move over Rock Slide.

Kommo-o is not good in VGC, mainly because of it's 4x fairy weakness and the prevalence of Fairy types. It doesn't do a lot of damage either to anything significant. I recommend replacing this spot with one of the common Fire types in the meta, in Arcanine (probably a better option) or Alolan Marowak. Milotic/Arcanine cores are fairly common, and the Fire/Water typing along with both of the Pokemon's bulk is quite good. Another option is to use Garchomp perhaps, another good doubles Pokemon and good in this format.

Finally for Milotic, There isn't really much that is needed to be changed. I do recommend changing Hydro Pump to Scald, as even though the damage output is lower, Scald has that always wonderful chance to burn and 100% accuracy for consistent damage.

I hope that this helped you. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)