Gen 6 Victim of the Week - ORAS Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Magic Coat to anti-lead HO and cheese Darkrai? Smh.

Arceus-Fairy as a hard check.

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp/Toxic
- Judgment

Arceus-Fairy can come in on anything that Giratina-O wants to do except for Toxic and can either get off a Defog, use the opportunity to Recover to full, 2HKO it with Judgment, or fire off a status move in attempt to cripple a switch-in. It also cannot be phased out by Dragon Tail.

Relevant calcs: 0 SpA Pixie Plate Arceus-Fairy Judgment vs. 0 HP / 8 SpD Giratina-O: 300-354 (68 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Griseous Orb Giratina-O Shadow Force vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Arceus-Fairy: 160-190 (36.1 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

^ Arceus-Fairy avoids the 2HKO from a 2-turn move and gains more heal from Recover than Giratina-O can hit it with.

Last edited:
Yveltal as a Check. (Counter without that darned Will-O-Wisp)

Yveltal @ Leftovers / Dread Plate
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold / Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic / Sucker Punch
- Taunt

You can use other Yveltal variants like LO and Scarf and still come out victorious, but I like this set better for consistency against Giratina-O. You can use other items like Charti Berry (for Stone Edge) and Lum Berry (for Burns that severely cripple Yveltal) to fit it in as one check, but you can always run support Pokemon to help you with that. Anyways, Yveltal has the bulk to take all Giratina-O's moves (barring Will-O-Wisp and Stone Edge) then use its Dark-type STAB moves to deal good damage to it. And since Yveltal (offensive variants at the least) outspeeds most Giratina-O, it can land a strong hit before Giratina-O can even retaliate. In short, most Yveltal can take on most Gira-O that's out there.

Last edited:

Level 56

Faded memories
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 6th Grand Slam Winner
Darkrai (Check)
491.gif

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb

Not the most reliable switch-in to Giratina-O as Dragon Tail does decent amount of damage. Though Darkrai can easily switch-in against a predicted Shadow Sneak and can easily revenge kill it. Darkrai, after switching-in/coming in can just put it to sleep, and can either boost its Sp Atk or just go for the kill, making Darkrai a nice revenge killer. Moveset and EVs are standard.

Last edited:
nominating mega audino as a counter

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Ability: Healer
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Wish
- Toxic
- Protect

This thing is immune to gira-o's stabs and tanks earthquake extremely well and retaliates by 3hkoing with dazzling gleam.

252+ Atk Giratina-O Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 69-82 (16.8 - 20%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Mega Audino Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 8 SpD Giratina-O: 144-170 (32.6 - 38.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Wish
- Toxic
- Protect

This thing is immune to gira-o's stabs and tanks earthquake extremely well and retaliates by 3hkoing with dazzling gleam.

252+ Atk Giratina-O Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 69-82 (16.8 - 20%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Mega Audino Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 8 SpD Giratina-O: 144-170 (32.6 - 38.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Audino is a waste of a Mega slot. There's a very good reason it's in NU.

It is still a pretty good check though.

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Why does everybody have to be rude me? Yeah sure, I'm not amazing at Pokemon, but I still feel I don't deserve to be harassed.
ok, here is me being completely genuine

you don't have to be good at the game, but if you're gonna post in threads like these, you should at least have a sense of what's good/isn't, and know how this community works. first impressions are extremely important, and yours fell through in a flaming ball of crap. then, when steel and myself tried to shove you in the right direction, you rebuffed us. steel even tried again to advise you to lurk more (which is fantastic advice) to which you immediately posted a very cringe-inducing reply.

if you want to really be a part of this community you've gotta lurk, get a feel of the general cynicism and sarcastic undertone, and above all, start practicing your skills at the game itself. until that point arrives, you can't expect to make a post without at least one mean person such as myself laughing at you.

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Wish
- Toxic
- Protect

Crisp idea, might even use audino but for the set i'd put non mega with megastone because the default ability is healer not regen. Granted you're gonna mega quite soon most of the time for the typing and balk but better to have it than not. So put regen on in regular form imo - That being said this is just about beating gira-o so do whatever o-o. responding to PlatinumBlad3 saying it's a waste of a mega slot - it's actually incredibly bulky, pretty cool typing for dealing with dragons, nice recovery which you can also use to heal up other mons on your team, access to heal bell, Twave and other cool support moves and, as on this spread, can throw toxics around to whittle things like Primal Groudon down - which incidentally this mon snacks on:

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 169-199 (41.2 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

But this thread is about giratina-o right now and not pdon anyway.

So you're not understanding the intent behind what any of us are saying. Nobody is making fun of you for being bad at Pokemon; being bad at Pokemon isn't reason enough to dislike somebody. I mean, several people utterly suck at mons but are still respected posters that rarely if ever get harassed for this. It's your posting style that we can't take seriously. Your posts are far too frequent, immature, typically contain fallacious information, and show a general lack of understanding of how our community operates. You can't post absurd things and play victim when somebody calls you out for them; this is entirely the wrong attitude to have if you're looking for acceptance among any group of people. Really, take some time to think before you post. We were all in your place at some point. Most of us have become better than this. There's actual reasoning for that. A small part of the reason you're being mocked is you being new/not especially good at mons yet, sure, but a larger part of this is how vocal you are when you really shouldn't be. You don't have any great understanding of how Smogon operates. This understanding comes in time, but it's better to not post and get mocked until you have that understanding.

Additionally, you don't have the right attitude; you aren't willing to take others' suggestions. This is a mistake. This is why you're continuing to not be accepted by Ubers' community. Notice how nobody's seriously defended you? Think about why that is. I'm sure I'm coming across as a massive, patronizing ass with this post but until you understand why it is people are attacking you you're gonna continue to be on the receiving end of posts like this from many others, and most of them won't say anything actually intended to help you.
This is actually very helpful. Thank you.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
now that that's outta the way, this mons kinda easy to check so im gonna nominate my favorite ubers mon. this poke handles every viable variant of giratina-o except EQ ones

sweep, let's cuddle (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Taunt / Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect / Stealth Rock

Heatran utterly walls Giratina-O. The common Defog / Dragon Tail / Will-o-Wisp / Shadow Sneak or Draco Meteor variants are unable to scratch this outside of a weak shadow sneak (252+ Atk Griseous Orb Giratina-O Shadow Sneak vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 78-93 (20.2 - 24.1%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery) or draco meteor (252+ SpA Griseous Orb Giratina-O Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 91-108 (23.6 - 28%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery). Meanwhile, you Protect+Toxic stall it, or, if you're lucky, burn it with Lava Plume while it just cries vs you. The moveset is mostly irrelevant so long as it fits Toxic, Lava Plume, and Stealth Rock. Protect is very nice to have as well, because it makes Toxic stalling much easier and scouts for EQs from things like Ho-Oh and Giratina-O. Heatran has use outside of checking Giratina-O as well; it is a Dialga check, Toxic immune Klefki answer, Latios check, stallbreaker, Mega Sableye check, and CB Ho-Oh pivot. Additionally, it's a Stealth Rock Pokemon that doesn't clash significantly with Primal Groudon defensively and annoys common Defoggers with the threat of Toxic stall/possible Taunt.
[20:26] #shrang: !learn giratina-o, earthquake
Giratina-Origin can learn Earthquake

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Force
- Shadow Claw
- Brick Break

While Ghostceus is weak to Ghost-type moves, Giratina doesn't even come close to 2HKO-ing it with the Physical Defog set. It can 2HKO with Shadow Ball but that's rare. If Giratina-O uses Shadow Force, Ghostceus can simply Shadow Force back (to make Gira's SF miss) and send Giratina-O to the Shadow Realm with a copied 120 BP Signature Move. Ghostceus is also crippled by Burns so you have to watch out for Will-O-Wisp.

Mega Audino sucks. It can't switchin if it hasn't Mega'd yet, so you have to sac something the first time. Here's something actually good:

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost
- Nasty Plot / Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Baton Pass / Defog / Heal Bell

awwww it's so cute. Also it's really good, believe me, really you can. It takes nothing from any attack from Giratina-O, Dazzling Gleam always breaks Sub unless it's like super heavy SpDef in which case whatever it's weak as hell and who ever uses Sassy / Substitute Giratina-O. Last two moves depend on what you want to do. Nasty Plot + Baton Pass is of course awesome since you can Nasty Plot freely on Giratina-O and support your team. Status + Defog (or Heal Bell somewhere) is nice if you want to support your team the lame way. Thunder Wave / Roost / Air Slash / Dazzling Gleam is nice because you have Serene Grace, though probably you're better off with Nasty Plot > Dazzling Gleam in that case so Air Slash actually does some damage also. (nvm air slash is illegal)

edit: I'll get some replays up soon.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-248127194
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-248127594
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-248128575 np togetic finishes the game

and here's a replay of it actually taking on a giratina-o

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ubers-248134485

Last edited:
Reserving Mega Sableye.

Also Wigglytuff is much better than mega audino, because it discourages the use of defog, because competitive (+2 wigglytuff has a chance to OHKO 0/0 giratina with Dazzling Gleam if it invests in its special attack, and does a minimum of 68% without investment), in addition to taking next to no damage from any of its moves, and not caring about wisp (which it could magic coat back if it wanted to). It also doesn't use a mega slot, can set rocks back up after Gratiana defogs, passes wishes, and can perish song random crap to make it switch, or kill something in a lastmon scenario.

Ok, guys. Just gonna say that I won't be updating this thread during the summer! I will try to finally properly format the OP in a more organized way. It will probably only last like 2 weeks, though. In the meantime, you guys can have fun in this thread, either by finding better, more obscure checks to already existing victims, or you can nominate your own victims you'd like to see. Basically, I won't update this thread, but feel free to discuss relevant things if you'd like. Just try not to go more off-topic than some of the last posts, lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)