Yveltal @ Choice Scarf / Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest / Rash / Mild Nature
-Hurricane / Sucker Punch
-Dark Pulse
-Oblivion Wing
-U-Turn / Taunt

Offensive Yveltal, in general, is an amazing check to Life Orb Mewtwo if it can be brought in on any circumstance other than eating an Ice Beam (this will not KO w/o rocks but it isn't recommended that you let this happen). It is best to try and bring it in safely for revenge killing Mewtwo but it is immune to Psystrike and Fire / Focus Blast will never KO it (unless a crit and rocks happen) so switching Yveltal into Mewtwo is not impossible by any means. Choice Scarf Yveltal will always outspeed and KO Life Orb Mewtwo with Dark Pulse while Life Orb Yveltal can check it with Sucker Punch but must be more careful due to the possibility of mind games with Mewtwo's Taunt / Calm Mind (Pressure Mewtwo can stall out Sucker Punch easy). A Modest Nature should always be carried on Choice Scarf Yveltal because of the lack of Sucker Punch and the noticeable damage output increase of the other moves. A Rash Nature is preferred on Life Orb to take priority hits better but a Hasty Nature can be used to better check Mewtwo if that is what you desire. Speed boosting natures, such as Naive and Hasty, don't hurt Yveltal's ability to check Mewtwo either but aren't recommend for other reasons.

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Yveltal: 181-213 (46 - 54.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Yveltal: 200-237 (50.8 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Yveltal: 196-231 (49.8 - 58.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Yveltal: 220-259 (55.9 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Yveltal: 294-348 (74.8 - 88.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Yveltal: 328-387 (83.4 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Choice Scarf Yveltal vs Mewtwo:
252 SpA Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mewtwo: 384-452 (108.7 - 128%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mewtwo: 422-498 (119.5 - 141%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Life Orb Yveltal vs Mewtwo:
4 Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mewtwo: 416-491 (117.8 - 139%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mewtwo: 499-588 (141.3 - 166.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mewtwo: 549-647 (155.5 - 183.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
even Mew felt that Dark Pulse :P

It also has the ability to check the Mega Mewtwo Y the same way, most of the time, and Mega Mewtwo X gets ruined by Oblivion Wing / Hurricane.

Last edited:

Ghost Arceus @ Leftovers
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 90 Spe
Timid Nature
-Recover
-Judgment
-Will-O-Wisp
-Defog (Or some other magical suport move idk)

252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Arceus-Ghost: 166-196 (37.3 - 44.1%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Spooky Plate Arceus-Ghost Judgment vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mewtwo Y: 258-306 (73 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Mega Mewtwo X Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Arceus-Ghost: 130-154 (29.2 - 34.6%) -- 6.3% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Spooky Plate Arceus-Ghost Judgment vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mewtwo X: 302-356 (85.5 - 100.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Arceus-Ghost: 181-214 (40.7 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Spooky Plate Arceus-Ghost Judgment vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mewtwo: 330-390 (93.4 - 110.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

GET WREKT KID. Basically, Ghostceus has the virtue of taking almost any hit that Mewtwo and all of its formes have to offer, and of course doing the best against MM2X with the defense investment and WoW. If Mewtwo takes the time to Taunt, it gets 2HKOd. Only normal Life Orb Mewtwo stands a chance of 2HKOing, but MUST hit Ghostceus on the switch with a Psystrike after SR damage in order to win. lel. Did I mention that Ghostceus also doesn't scream "MegaGar bait"? Yep.

0 SpA Spooky Plate Arceus-Ghost Judgment vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 318-374 (121.3 - 142.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

'Nuff said.
Arceus ghost needs to hold spooky plate so no lefties for the scary hoola hoop goat.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Dark Arceus @ Dread Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
-Recover
-Payback
-Will-O-Wisp / Support Move / Move that prevents Xerneas from setting up
-Defog / Perish Song / Support Move / Move that prevents Xerneas from setting up

This is quite possibly one of Mewtwo's best counters. Stomachs everything comfortably aside Focus blast, but that barely 2HKOes. For those wondering how much its next most damaging move, Sunny-baked Fire Blast does well..

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Arceus-Dark in Sun: 169-200 (38 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Considering Sun probably won't be up Arceus-Dark is basically 3-4HKOed by every move Mewtwo can use on it aside Focus Blast. Even Aura Sphere fails to 2HKO due to all the special defense investment o_O. Payback OHKOes Mewtwo after a round of Life Orb recoil. Judgment can also be used but hey going physical in this meta is something cool!. That and it helps its slay pesky Arceus Ghost that try to setup Calm Mind. The other two moves are to let Arceus Dark support its team but it should be noted that Arceus Dark is major setup bait for Xerneas. As such a move that can deter Xerneas or at the very least cripple it such as Thunder Wave or Toxic is also a viable option.

This Arceus Dark isn't a dedicated Mewtwo check either, aside being able to clear hazards for the team by virtue of defog it can also check Yveltal, specially offensive Dragons not named Palkia (only if in rain spamming Specs boosted Hydro Pumps), and Calm Mind Arceus-forms if it chooses to run toxic / Perish Song!

Arceus @ Mind Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Payback
- ExtremeSpeed / Will-O-Wisp
- Zen Headbutt / Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Psychic Arceus is pretty much the best Mewtwo counter out there, however it is pretty bad other than that. None of Mewtwo's attacks 2HKOes, except Fire Blast in the sun 56% of the time (not including accuracy). Payback + ExtremeSpeed + Life Orb damage (or SR) always KOes Mewtwo, which is what the Attack investment is for. You can lower it though and possibly drop ExtremeSpeed for more defensive investment. With no Attack investment, Payback + ExtremeSpeed still has some chance of KOing after LO + SR, but not guaranteed. 2 rounds of Life Orb damage covers it though.

This Arceus got a little better this generation imo, because it also checks Mega Mewtwo X as well as Mega Mewtwo Y, so it can switch in regarding of set. It also isn't really trapped as easily by Mega Gengar since most carry Taunt / Destiny Bond / Sludge Bomb / Focus Blast from my experience, so Arceus isn't 2HKOed (also not OHKOed by Shadow Ball btw!), and Payback OHKOes, so the Gengar user only has a 50/50 chance of winning a Taunt / Destiny Bond game as well. On the flipside though, it can do nothing to harm Yveltal which gives it way too easy switchins, and you can't carry Arceus Electric so that's annoying.

Arceus Dark @ Dread Plate
252 HP/252 Speed Timid Nature

-Judgment
-Refresh
-Recover
-Calm Mind

Suck this (BAN ME PLEASE)'s dick. Tis all ~
(Focus Blast can't OHKO, and Aura Sphere sucks.)

While I might not be Ogasian, I'll try to keep the thread going in his apparent absence.

So the 8th Victim of the Week is going to be a prominent threat that is beginning to make itself very well known on the Ubers scene: Arceus-Ghost! Sporting a deadly typing and the bulk that all Arceus formes have, Arceus-Ghost can easily find opportunities to set up and will sweep teams easily if there are no Dark-types around to try to halt it. Mainly used as a Calm Mind sweeper (as this set will be) it can also run other viable options, such as a Support set, and the infamous Swords Dance set. This set might seem to be halted by Normal-types, but thanks to Will-O-Wisp it can stall most of them out with Recover. Let's see what we can come up with to tackle this huge threat.

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp / Focus Blast / Thunder

Last edited:

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oof, those coverage moves though :p. This will be interesting to see what comes up here. Thank you for being the temporary Mod of this thread, or at least until Ogasian gets back.
(I understand, the couple of weeks before finals are a pain)
I would have to say the most reliable check to this isn't specialized towards Ghosteus only is this:

The infamous Turkey Bird ruins something else's day.

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 28 Spe
Impish nature
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Toxic

Why this Ho-Oh over any other Ho-Oh? This is because this is the only variant that consistently carries both Toxic and Roost on the same set. Thunder is by far the rarest of the coverage moves seen on Ghosteus and this, combined with Thunder's unreliability, means Ho-Oh is a pretty safe switch in but is still only a check because of the possibility of Ghosteus carrying Thunder and Stealth Rock being Stealth Rock. The way this Ho-Oh deals with Ghosteus is just plain Toxic stalling by poisoning Arceus and then spamming Roost like its your job. Attacking Ghosteus with Sacred Fire is very risky depending on how many boosts Ghosteus has and using Brave Bird is probably the stupidest thing you can do against it so just don't pls. Ho-Oh should defeat Ghosteus with hardly a scratch after Regenerator and ready to take on another threat on your opponents team. As always, make sure rocks arent on the field when Ho-oh comes in.

Edit: btw 101 > 100 :)
Edit 2: Clefable is by far the best answer to Ghostceus so ignore the opening statement :P

Last edited:
First of all, who the hell uses thunder .-.

Arceus-Dark @ Dread Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Spatk
Timid Nature
-Judgment
-Calm Mind
-Refresh
-Recover

You have a type advantage. Seriously, don't screw this up.

A nice soft check to SupportCeus would be Sableye who can catch it with a Prankster Taunt and then keep using Recover to stall it out. Or switch to a dark type/SDef mon to handle GhostCeus. But essentially you just have to keep Arceus from setting up, or healing off damage. So Taunt is a big answer to that. Sableye can also Burn Physical GhostCeus (Damn WoW misses)

But yeah, Sableye could work.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Will-o-Wisp
- Taunt
- Night Shade/Foul Play

SupportCeus/CM GhostCeus:

4 SpA Spooky Plate Arceus-Ghost Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 144-169 (47.3 - 55.5%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Spooky Plate Arceus-Ghost Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 192-226 (63.1 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

SD GhostCeus:

0 Atk Sableye Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Ghost: 252-296 (56.7 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Spooky Plate burned Arceus-Ghost Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Sableye: 81-96 (26.6 - 31.5%) -- 26% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

So while Sableye can only hope to withstand several Special/SupportCeus Judgments it actually fairs really well against Physical GhostCeus whom it can Taunt out of Sword Dance, and Burn. Unburned does about 63.4% Max damage to Sableye.

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
While I might not be Ogasian, I'll try to keep the thread going in his apparent absence.
I will do the same this week.

For Victim number 9 we will look at Swords Dance Blaziken who has quickly risen through the ranks or the Ubers tier. It is infamous for having few solid checks and being able to destroy its prominant checks after a bit of chip damage. It can be a bit tricky to set up but after a Swords Dance, not much takes it on. Its dual STABs are exceptionally strong in both offensive typing and base power. It also has the coverage moves to heavily dent or KO its so called checks that its STABs can't take care of. Its versatility is questionable but Blaziken can also run a Baton Pass set to pass off boosts it gets from Speed Boost to other threats that can potentially take on its checks and ruin your day. Blaziken is a massive threat that will tear through underprepared teams in a heartbeat. Let's show people how to stop the infamous Chicken Man.

---->

Blaziken @ Blazikenite / Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost (Speed Boost)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant nature
- Low Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off / Protect / Stone Edge

Have fun :)

Last edited:
252 Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Blaziken: 447-530 (148.5 - 176%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So obviously the reason Blaziken is hard to counter offensively is because of Speed Boost.

Defensively Giratina can handle Knock Off like a total pro

252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 172-204 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- 41.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 344-406 (68.2 - 80.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And phaze out. It doesn't kill Blaziken sadly, but it can stop a sweep. Giratina loses Lefties however.

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Will-o-Wisp
- Recover
- Defog

+2 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Arceus-Water: 319-376 (72 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Splash Plate Arceus-Water Judgment vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Blaziken: 362-428 (120.2 - 142.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

While you are forced to run full Def and HP (which sucks) it does mean that you can handle Mega Blaziken at +2. Although I would like to point out that
+2 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Arceus-Water: 346-408 (78.1 - 92%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Which is why I still run High Jump Kick over Low Kick. Still think Priority BB is your best bet, but not too much usage outside of that.

252 Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Blaziken: 447-530 (148.5 - 176%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So obviously the reason Blaziken is hard to counter offensively is because of Speed Boost.

Defensively Giratina can handle Knock Off like a total pro

252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 172-204 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- 41.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 344-406 (68.2 - 80.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And phaze out. It doesn't kill Blaziken sadly, but it can stop a sweep. Giratina loses Lefties however.

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Will-o-Wisp
- Recover
- Defog

+2 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Arceus-Water: 319-376 (72 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Splash Plate Arceus-Water Judgment vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Blaziken: 362-428 (120.2 - 142.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

While you are forced to run full Def and HP (which sucks) it does mean that you can handle Mega Blaziken at +2. Although I would like to point out that
+2 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Arceus-Water: 346-408 (78.1 - 92%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Which is why I still run High Jump Kick over Low Kick. Still think Priority BB is your best bet, but not too much usage outside of that.
Giratina can't switch in at all. Neither can Waterceus. I would post right now, but I'm lazy as fuck.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Scald/protect
- Earthquake/protect

The gif explains perfectly why quagod is so fucking epic. Thanks to unaware it gives zero fucks about most set up sweepers. The most well known examples include sd arceus forms/blaziken/mmx/notasimportantmonsgohere. It can switch in with impunity on blaze/ekiller/support phys mons and give zero fucks while being able to force them out with toxic stalling. The last two moves are depending on preference with protect to help increase toxic damage while also deterring hjk blaze which would otherwise be able to overpower it, eq helps for shit mons like mega gengar that try to get all over quagod's ass, scald is to fish for burns on bulky steels like zor and the likes. Overall no other mon can check all the threats that quagsire checks and I've had some fair amount of sucess with it so w/e. Also this isn't an analysis so shitposting/tldr is fine.

props to edgrr for the sexyass gif.

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
I was gonna slash HJK with Low Kick but I kind of wanted you to post this, though risking HJK on a potential Protect is rather nasty.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Note that I'm aware of at least one high quality user who runs HJK>Low Kick on blaze because of the legendary quagod. lol
Also imo best set is
gyarados
@gyaradosite
248 HP
244 Def
16 SDef
Careful
Rest
Sexy Talk
Dragon Fucking Tail
Waterfall

beastly set, checks a ton of stuff but non mega evod checks blaze like a babe. after that is a sick phazer and says fuck you to all common ground types bar quagod/gastro (and groudon/lando if paired w/ mega blaze cos then it has to not be mega evod and remain stone edge weak vs them)

Whoever's next post talonflame.

Giratina can't switch in at all. Neither can Waterceus. I would post right now, but I'm lazy as fuck.
Giratina could only switch in on a fighting move, but the two of them can work as last ditch phaze/killers after you sack a mon. I was really just going off the top of my head, there isn't that much that can safely switch in on +2 Blaziken.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)