Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Foul Play
- U-Turn

Specs Exeggutor does 31-37% with leaf storm, can roost off the damage, and either 2hko with foul play or u-turn for momentum. Has been a very underrated bulky defogger that might have a better niche with togetic gone.
And sorry that its crack is showing

Last edited:

Zweilous @ Eviolite
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Zweilous has no trouble switching in on any of Exeggutor's attacks thanks to it's Dragon/Dark typing and great special bulk. Leaf storms only capable of dealing around 30% while Zweilous can retaliate with Crunch for a potential KO after stealth rock. Rest and Sleep talk act as recovery.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Zweilous: 102-120 (29.3 - 34.4%) -- possible 8HKO
4 Atk Hustle Zweilous Crunch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Exeggutor: 258-306 (77.9 - 92.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Magmortar as a check

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

This set can switch into any move (takes max ~61% from Psychic) barring Psyshock and can outspeed and OHKO in return with Fire Blast. Vital Spirit also makes it immune to stray Sleep Powders

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
This should amuse at least some people:

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Freeze-Dry
- Hurricane
- Filler

While this set is pretty sub-par, Articuno takes 38-45% from Psychic, meaning it can outspeed and Roost out of KO range thanks to Leftovers letting it heal 56% hp per game. Due to Pressure, Exeggutor only have 8 Psychics at best to get a spD drop with, otherwise Articuno can just 2hko with Freeze-Dry no problem. If hax comes out and gets a drop, Articuno's Hurricane have a pretty good chance to OHKO before hazards and guaranteed after.

tl;dr: This set is awful, but it was amusing that it countered outside of hax, so I'm posting it.

Calcs:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Articuno: 145-172 (37.8 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
8 SpA Articuno Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Exeggutor: 206-246 (62.2 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
8 SpA Articuno Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Exeggutor: 324-384 (97.8 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Regice @ Choice Specs
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Sleep Talk

While regice doesn't resist any of exeguttors stabs, it's immense special bulk allows it to check it decently. Leaf storm does 66 max while giga drain and psychic 3hko. In return regice can fire off a powerful specs ice beam which easily ohkos eggy and is difficult to switch into.
The speed lets you outpace max speed adamant rhydon.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Leaf Storm vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Regice: 184-217 (56.6 - 66.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-2 252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Leaf Storm vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Regice: 93-109 (28.6 - 33.5%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Psychic vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Regice: 127-151 (39 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Giga Drain vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Regice: 106-126 (32.6 - 38.7%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Regice Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Exeggutor: 576-678 (174 - 204.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Solid check:

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP / 212 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Filler

252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Leaf Storm vs. 240 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 228-268 (66.8 - 78.5%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Psychic vs. 240 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 159-187 (46.6 - 54.8%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

There's a small chance that Eggy can OHKO Cryogonal after SR with Leaf Storm, but apart from that Cryogonal can outspeed, heal up with lefties + Recover to avoid the 2HKO from Psychic, and 2HKO back with Freeze-Dry

Ninjask @ Choice Band
Ability- Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Night Slash
- Metal Claw

Ninjask, while requiring a bit of prediction to bring in (it can't take a HP Fire, or a Psychic), it can take either a Leaf Storm or Giga Drain and one-shot with U-turn. If Eggy switches out, than you'll still manage to hurt something and get a matchup against it.

Last edited:

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 124 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Bug Bite
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance

SpDef Scyther acts like a hard check if rocks are off the field as it can switch in and OHKO with Bug Bite, or if exeggutor decides to switch out it can just roost back up to full and switch in on it again.
0 Atk Technician Scyther Bug Bite vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Exeggutor: 480-568 (145 - 171.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Psychic vs. 248 HP / 124 SpD Eviolite Scyther: 163-193 (47.5 - 56.2%) -- 84% chance to 2HKO

Ladies and gentlemen, what is Exeggutor? Exeggutor is nothing but a sentient and cognizant coconut tree. Sentience does mean that we should strive to protect this egg/coconut beast, as it can experience pain and verbally express this emotion. Thus, it would be cruel to exact pain on this creature should it decide to live peacefully in its tropical home, but it will not peacefully coexist with us.

For I know, for a fact, that those palm trees plot against us and will use their psychic mind powers, which are sadly not blocked by tin foil, to usurp humans as the dominant species. Thus, I have formulated a plan that will ensure our continued role as the apex predator in this imaginary world of sentient trees! I plan to introduce to the ecosystem of the Exeggutor menace the natural predator of all plants, slug dragons!

“It won't hurt you. It's just to kill plants. It's called Agent Orange...and it won't bother humans.”

Sliggoo (Agent Orange) @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse​
This set I have found to be a rather unique special wall in that it can come into the vast majority of NU's special attackers and manage to withstand the oncoming barrage of attacks. The set above primarily works around rest and sleep talk, allowing it to do damage while gaining back the health it loses from acting as its foe's punching bag while chipping away at your opponents precious health deposits.

In the case of Choice Specs Exeggutor some prediction skill is needed, as the dragon slug is far from fast and can be whittled down with Psychic from our would be tree overlord. However, when I say prediction skill I mean very little, as three of the four moves used by the barked subjugator are completely worthless against Agent Orange.

To prove that this slime can be used as an effective counter measure to the coconut face monster here are some calculations.

4 SpA Sliggoo Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Exeggutor: 158-188 (47.7 - 56.7%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO

Much like Agent Oragne, Sliggoo can defoliate any plant, including would be wood tyrants.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Sliggoo: 23-28 (6.7 - 8.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever
Easy switch in for anything you expect to take fire damage, or if you know that it is locked into this.

Exeggutor Giga Drain/Leaf Storm vs. Sap Sipper Sliggoo: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- aim for the horn next time
Goes without saying.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Sliggoo: 105-124 (30.8 - 36.4%) -- 62.8% chance to 3HKO
This is where predictions come in, you need either a clean switch in, or you need to anticipate this problem and work around it with other supporting Pokemon. Personally I would suggest a dark type such as Pawniard with its access to sucker punch.

Thus I would conclude that if used right Sliggoo can act as a medium counter to Exeggutor. It is a soft check if the supporting cast that back up this slug are down or not present, but a hard check if the all of the other actors are all in their places, forcing Exegguto to pick its moves carefully or be walled by either a dark type Pokemon or a slug dragon, there by preventing a sweep.

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Fletchinder is a pretty soft check, but an effective one nevertheless. It can always force eggy out and can even set up on exeggutor if it's locked into one of its grass stab moves or hp fire, meanwhile acrobatics is a chance to ohko in your favor, and any sort of damage will mean that it always falls to the fire bird.

252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Exeggutor: 308-366 (93 - 110.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Leaf Storm vs. 112 HP / 0 SpD Fletchinder: 142-168 (48.4 - 57.3%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Giga Drain vs. 112 HP / 0 SpD Fletchinder: 82-97 (27.9 - 33.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Hidden Power Fire vs. 112 HP / 0 SpD Fletchinder: 88-104 (30 - 35.4%) -- 24.6% chance to 3HKO

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I swear you guys make this too easy sometimes

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Feather Dance

You resist eggy's primary STABs and set up on it with CM. I don't even remember what my EV spread is for (because I made this for Gallade meta) but I can tell you right now that this calc really leans in Murkrow's favor and will only get better with more bulk!!
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 220 SpD Eviolite Murkrow: 153-180 (47.3 - 55.7%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO
can't get a better Counter

Ladies and gentlemen, what is Exeggutor? Exeggutor is nothing but a sentient and cognizant coconut tree. Sentience does mean that we should strive to protect this egg/coconut beast, as it can experience pain and verbally express this emotion. Thus, it would be cruel to exact pain on this creature should it decide to live peacefully in its tropical home, but it will not peacefully coexist with us.

For I know, for a fact, that those palm trees plot against us and will use their psychic mind powers, which are sadly not blocked by tin foil, to usurp humans as the dominant species. Thus, I have formulated a plan that will ensure our continued role as the apex predator in this imaginary world of sentient trees! I plan to introduce to the ecosystem of the Exeggutor menace the natural predator of all plants, slug dragons!

“It won't hurt you. It's just to kill plants. It's called Agent Orange...and it won't bother humans.”

Sliggoo (Agent Orange) @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse​
This set I have found to be a rather unique special wall in that it can come into the vast majority of NU's special attackers and manage to withstand the oncoming barrage of attacks. The set above primarily works around rest and sleep talk, allowing it to do damage while gaining back the health it loses from acting as its foe's punching bag while chipping away at your opponents precious health deposits.

In the case of Choice Specs Exeggutor some prediction skill is needed, as the dragon slug is far from fast and can be whittled down with Psychic from our would be tree overlord. However, when I say prediction skill I mean very little, as three of the four moves used by the barked subjugator are completely worthless against Agent Orange.

To prove that this slime can be used as an effective counter measure to the coconut face monster here are some calculations.

4 SpA Sliggoo Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Exeggutor: 158-188 (47.7 - 56.7%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO

Much like Agent Oragne, Sliggoo can defoliate any plant, including would be wood tyrants.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Sliggoo: 23-28 (6.7 - 8.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever
Easy switch in for anything you expect to take fire damage, or if you know that it is locked into this.

Exeggutor Giga Drain/Leaf Storm vs. Sap Sipper Sliggoo: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- aim for the horn next time
Goes without saying.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Sliggoo: 105-124 (30.8 - 36.4%) -- 62.8% chance to 3HKO
This is where predictions come in, you need either a clean switch in, or you need to anticipate this problem and work around it with other supporting Pokemon. Personally I would suggest a dark type such as Pawniard with its access to sucker punch.

Thus I would conclude that if used right Sliggoo can act as a medium counter to Exeggutor. It is a soft check if the supporting cast that back up this slug are down or not present, but a hard check if the all of the other actors are all in their places, forcing Exegguto to pick its moves carefully or be walled by either a dark type Pokemon or a slug dragon, there by preventing a sweep.

Just a note you should never use Dragon Pulse > Draco Meteor. Sliggoo rarely stays in more than 3 Turns, and if it does Draco Meteor always outdamages Dragon Pulse. Only by using Dragon Pulse four times does it begin to outdamage Draco Meteor. Furthermore, Draco significantly betters Sliggoo's potential to beat offensive setup pokemon, as its single turn nuke damage makes it far from defenseless and a major difficulty for frail pokemon to set up on.

Turn One:
Draco Meteor = 140, Dragon Pulse = 80
Turn Two:
Draco Meteor = 210, Dragon Pulse = 160
Turn Three:
Draco Meteor = 245, Dragon Pulse = 240

Cased

Banned deucer.
Turn One:
Draco Meteor = 140, Dragon Pulse = 80
Turn Two:
Draco Meteor = 210, Dragon Pulse = 160
Turn Three:
Draco Meteor = 245, Dragon Pulse = 240
The difference between 245 and 240 is minimal compared to the fact that Draco Meteor doesn't have 100% accuracy. Something like Sliggo just wants to get off damage, no matter the damage it really doesn't matter. And if you're going for Draco Meteor three times in a row, the odds of hitting all three are 72.9% compared to 100% for Dragon Pulse. If I'm using a bulky Pokemon, I find no reason to risk accuracy over guaranteed damage. For stronger Pokemon it's worth the risk. But 100% > 72% any time.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

0 SpA Sliggoo Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Xatu: 105-124 (31.4 - 37.1%)

0 SpA Sliggoo Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Xatu: 160-190 (47.9 - 56.8%)
-2 0 SpA Sliggoo Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Xatu: 81-96 (24.2 - 28.7%)
-4 0 SpA Sliggoo Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Xatu: 54-64 (16.1 - 19.1%)

Two turns of Dragon Pulse: 62.8% - 74.2%
Two turns of Draco Meteor: 72.1% - 85.5%

Three turns of Dragon Pulse: 93.2% - 111.3%
Three turns of Draco Meteor: 88.2% - 104.6%

Xatu is just a Pokemon to show the damage variation aspect, obviously don't run 252 HP. You slightly outdamage after two turns (And you don't out-damage after three turns, but why actually test or calc it out?) But it's definitely not worth the accuracy aspect considering after the 81% chance to hit both Draco Meteors (Unless you want to use the annoying Gambler's Fallacy aspect of this argument), why risk definite damage over solidified damage. Draco Meteor also makes you even more set-up fodder than you actually are.

Draco significantly betters Sliggoo's potential to beat offensive setup pokemon, as its single turn nuke damage makes it far from defenseless and a major difficulty for frail pokemon to set up on.
In a tier where some defensive Pokemon lack Leftovers because they need Eviolite, or even have reliable recovery, I think accuracy is much more important than a slightly more powerful move that can miss. You'll always be set-up fodder, just because you went for a move that's slightly more powerful, Sliggo is so hilariously weak that it won't matter.

My post does nothing for the thread, I just saw his post and it irritated me slightly

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
Reserving Lilligant nvm Poliwrath
Counter

Poliwrath @ Leftovers / Life Orb / Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Vacuum Wave

Poliwrath has very solid bulk, outspeeds Carracosta unboosted, resists both of its STAB moves, and can easily KO it with even a non-item boosted Focus Blast, or take it out with Vacuum Wave before it even gets to move if it has set up

252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Stone Edge vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 107-126 (31 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Stone Edge vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 214-252 (62 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Poliwrath Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 306-361 (105.5 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Poliwrath Vacuum Wave vs. -1 4 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 154-184 (53.1 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Poliwrath Vacuum Wave vs. -1 4 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 201-240 (69.3 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Poliwrath Vacuum Wave vs. -1 4 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 231-274 (79.6 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Quagsire as a counter

195.gif

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Scald
- Curse / Toxic

Quagsire ignores Carracosta's boosts due to Unaware and can slowly chip away at it with Scald and potentially get a burn. Alternatively, with Curse, you can turn Carracosta into set-up fodder and accumulate a ton of boosts and Recover damage as you go. If you aren't into that, you can always just use Toxic over Curse and do that, but Curse generally works better. Some calcs:

252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 133-156 (33.7 - 39.5%) -- 18.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Waterfall vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 87-105 (22 - 26.6%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 112-132 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 0 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 163-195 (56.2 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed

If Carracosta decides to set up a shell smash, Tangela is easily able to survive a +2 life orb stone edge thanks it's great bulk and can quickly dispose of Carracosta with giga drain.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 179-212 (53.5 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Tangela Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 345-408 (118.9 - 140.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead

Palpitoad @ Eviolite
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Due to Water Absorb, Palpitoad is only able to be hit by Stone Edge, which it isn't even 2HKO'd by, even at +2. It can then 2HKO Costa at with Earth Power, or almost OHKO it after LO a round or two of life orb recoil when it is at -1 and this makes it a reliable check.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Palpitoad: 140-166 (39.5 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Palpitoad Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 145-172 (50 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Palpitoad Earth Power vs. -1 4 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 220-261 (75.8 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

its also cute

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Lilligant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Own Tempo
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Petal Dance
- Healing Wish
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Scarf Lilligant as soft check. In case people needed another reason to use this monster in NU, Scarf Lilligant is an underrated option that allows Lilligant to revenge kill a variety of mons without spending a turn boosting up with Quiver Dance. Conveniently enough, it also serves as a nice stop to shell smash Carracosta since it can come in on a shell smash, aqua jet, or waterfall and proceed to force it out due to Lilligant always outspeeding a plus two carracosta. Stone edge is what is stopping it from being a full out counter since adamant stone edge will always manage to get the knock out on Lilligant even without attack boosts.

Check:

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Gurdurr can come in when Costa SS and win by using Drain Punch + Mach Punch:

Carracosta:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 251-296 (67.1 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 126-149 (33.6 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Gurdurr:
252+ Atk Gurdurr Mach Punch vs. -1 4 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 109-130 (37.5 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Gurdurr Drain Punch vs. -1 4 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 204-243 (70.3 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The minimal damage of 70% recovers around 25% of Gurdurr's health, putting him outside of Waterfall + Aqua Jet's kill range.

Check:

Magnemite @ Oran Berry
Level: 1
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Protect
-Toxic
-Recycle
-Magic Coat

Switch in on the Shell Smash, toxic, and click protect & recycle until Carracosta dies. #trollmons4life

Every once in awhile I ask myself the age old question, what will I make for supper? Now for many people this is followed by looking in the fridge for what is available for supper and on most days this is the case for me. However, today my tongue craves something more. More endangered, more rare, more dangerous. So instead of the fridge handle I grab a pokeball and head out, searching for tortoise. Not just regular endangered tortoise, but revitalized, formerly extinct tortoise. I am after Carracosta soup.

To accomplish this feat I will be bringing the oni of karate, Sawk.

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Here we have the Sawk set that we will be using for tortoise hunting.

Sawk (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt
The set above allows Sawk to hit a respectable 442.5 speed, which not only allows it to outspeed the vast majority of the unscarfed NU tier, but also allows it to out speed a +2 Jolly Carracosta! This alone is huge, if the Carracosta user expects a banded Sawk and clicks waterfall the Sawk will get an instant knock out with close combat and remove a powerful threat to the whole team. Now, had the Carracosta chosen Aqua Jet sturdy allows it to live, but even with Aqua Jet selected Sawk would have lived through this with, even with rocks on the Oni's side of the field.

To prove that Sawk is a hard counter here are the relevant calculations:

Speed:
Scarfed Jolly Sawk: 442.5
Jolly +2 Carracosta: 358
Adamant +2 Carracosta: 328

Damage:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Sawk: 417-491 (142.8 - 168.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

However, between lacking speed and the Sawk's Sturdy this should never happen and Sawk would be guaranteed to get off a Close Combat

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Sawk: 208-247 (71.2 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
This is the huge thing right here, if the Carracosta predicted the scarf it still would not kill, even after rocks. Allowing Sawk to swoop in and get the killing blow.

252 Atk Mold Breaker Sawk Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Carracosta: 300-354 (103.4 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
This here is the main reason we have chosen Sawk. Even without Life Orb, Choice Band or even Adamant nature Sawk can destroy anything that an offensive Carracosta can bring.

Between all of the factors of speed, strength and durability Sawk is not only a hard counter to the formerly fossilized tortoise, but can provide me with tortoise soup whenever the mood strikes.

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
SUCK ON THIS, CARRACOSTA! Okay, okay, I'm sorry lol.
He likes to gives massages with his appendages. If you know what I mean.
Cradily is a hard check. Thanks to Storm Drain, Cradily is immune to Waterfall and Aqua Jet, and can kill Carracosta with his Grass STAB.
4 SpA Cradily Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 291-345 (100.3 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
And after a +2, Jolly LO Stone Edge won't kill Cradily.
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Carracosta Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cradily: 274-324 (72.8 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Carracosta Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cradily: 274-324 (72.8 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
But if it's Adamant:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cradily: 300-355 (79.7 - 94.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Overall, Cradily is an underrated check to Carracosta and should be considered. Here's the set:

Cradildo! (Cradily) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVS: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
-Giga Drain
-Stealth Rock
-Recover
-Hidden Power Rock / Toxic
And as the Cradily sucks all of Carracosta's energy away with Giga Drain, he leads the tortoise back to his lair and does many things to him. But that's for another story....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)