volatillity

i heard that if u have a low votallity on shoddy u wont get as much points when u win a battle. well i have a low one in the standard ladder so i only get like 1 point for winning a battle. why is it low and how do i make it higher?

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
it gets lower the more you battle, you can't change it back. You could alternatively make a new account.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
I haven't found that volatility effects your rating, at least not like deviation. The lower your deviation is, the less points you will gain/lose per match. As for volatility, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it can go up when you are inconsistent in battling (at least slightly). By inconsistent, I mean win, lose, win, lose. They both drop with the more games you play so they are easy to get mixed up on.

imperfectluck

Banned deucer.
If you want to make your volatility go higher, you need to continuously beat players higher ranked than you, and continuously lose to players lower ranked than you.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Volatility does not affect your rating in any way.

The only instance where volatility would come into question is when you stop playing. If your volatility is small, your deviation will increase slower than if your volatility is high. That means that you'll take more time to drop off the leaderboard.

As imperfectluck said, to lower your deviation you need to beat players that are ranked lower than you and lose against players ranked higher than you.

Also, to Kevin Garrett, it is true that if your deviation is low, your rating changes little, especially if your opponent's deviation is also low, but that's because the current rating estimate is CRE, which has this disadvantage (among others). When GLIXARE is implemented, this will still not be the case anymore. I'll explain how GLIXARE ratings work in more detail in a future thread, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)