Pokémon Volcanion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by alexwolf

70 / 120 / 120 / 120 / 90 / 70 - highly accurate estimate w/ 600 BST
Ability: White Smoke or Flash Fire (these are guesses and not confirmed)

Notable Moves
Code:
Steam Eruption*
Flare Blitz
Overheat
Flamethrower
Fire Blast
Explosion
Protect
Substitute
Hidden Power

*95% accurate 110 BP Water-type attack; 50% burn chance
Volcanion | Leftovers | X Ability
Timid | 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe | Max IVs
Steam Eruption | Fire Blast | Hidden Power [Electric] | Substitute

• Substitute Set
  • Steam Eruption burns and gives Volcanion amazing bulk
  • Fire Blast is powerful secondary STAB coverage
  • Hidden Power Electric lets it kill Gyarados and muscle its way past some Water-types
Temporary Rules:

- No excessive Theorymon like saying someones set sucks
- Do not question the stats in the OP in this thread and VM me if the stats are messed up but I garuntee you these are really accurate
- Most of the info in here is not completely confirmed like Volcanion getting White Smoke and Fire Blast, this thread will be updated over time

This thread will be straightened out to my traditional format later

Discuss..

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Seems pretty good, having a fantastic Dual Stab, nice typing, good mixed attacking stats, and a decent movepool.

Speed is a bit low, and Special bulk isn't the greatest. Overall, if it has some way of getting past Water types, it sees a pretty nice future in OU, assuming it stays..... Most probably.

Maybe a Mixed Attacking set with Assault Vest? Not sure if it's coverage will really be good enough but with respectable bulk and good attack stats on both sides, I can definitely see a mixed set working.

Steam Eruption reminds me of a more powerful water-type Sacred Fire. I'm assuming it's a special attack, in which case a Specs set could be fairly devastating, much like banded Entei.

This thing looks to be one hell of a potential threat. Can't wait for more information.

Was there more information about a Volcanion event? jw cause you posted this

C'mon Game Freak was it really necessary to make a Super Scald? Hydro Pump with a 50% burn chance will make it especially annoying to switch into with tank pokemon.

Steam Eruption will be the most spammable move in the game. The same base power as Hydro Pump with 95 accuracy AND a 50% chance to burn? I already know I'm going to hate this thing because of all the burns.

this piece ninja'd by Fireburn

Steam Eruption seems to be a more powerful Sacred Fire (do we know if it's physical or special? I would guess special, but I would have guessed the same for Sacred Fire...) with better neutral coverage, which definitely makes it worth using. If Entei can be OU-viable with Sacred Fire, this thing should be solid OU with Steam Eruption. It has an intriguing defensive typing, though; it's weak to Electric, Rock, and Ground, but it resists Bug, Fairy, Fire, and Steel. It looks like a really solid Mega-Mawile counter (and Genesect if it was still around), and it could probably check offensive Heatran and Azumarill reasonably well. Even Tyranitar and Excadrill won't want to deal with it due to burns. Rotom-W beats it handily, though.

When will these be legal? Why do these have threads? Are they usable online? And a super scald seems to broken why does this exist wheres the poison legendary?

Resists: Fire, Steel, Fairy, Bug, Ice
Weaknesses: Ground, Rock, Electric

While he has good defenses his weaknesses are unfortunate, making him hard to be a good wall. Assault Vest seems logical since he has great defense and attack stats and one with a good chance to burn to boost it further. White Smoke makes sense for his ability considering it's similar to Clear Body on Diancie. It'd be a crying shame if this guy doesn't get Calm Mind but he's basically a far more powerful special version of Sacred Fire Entei and Water is arguably safer to spam. I like him, really want to see the full movepool
Fortunately his typing weaknesses are easily covered by any Grass type (Mega Venusaur/Ferrothorn core?) and many common OU threats like Landorus, Lati twins and Garchomp all resists two weaknesses and are neutral to the other.

Last edited:
The Showdown calculator has its stats listed as 70/109/120/121/110/70 which would make more sense, probably 110 and 120 in Att and SpA if its like Diance and has symmetrical stats.

A few calcs: (121 SpA)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 180-212 (49.4 - 58.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 195-229 (55.3 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Slowbro: 126-150 (31.9 - 38%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Slowbro: 114-136 (28.9 - 34.5%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion (No Move) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 132-156 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Not bad at all although slowbro can just switch out w/ regenerator into something that can take a choice specs HP electric, which is a lot.

Last edited:
It has a water sacred fire. Uh oh. I mean those guys at GF sure love giving us new ways to burn things easily. And scald was already like 90% burn chance, now we have sacred fire entei AND this thing? I smell OU mega usage? Also is steam eruption even confirmed? Where did this info come from? If it's not confirmed, I don't think is should be here in the OU forum. As far as I can tell, steam eruption is something just made up. Plz post link.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
It has a water sacred fire. Uh oh. I mean those guys at GF sure love giving us new ways to burn things easily. And scald was already like 90% burn chance, now we have sacred fire entei AND this thing? I smell OU mega usage? Also is steam eruption even confirmed? Where did this info come from? If it's not confirmed, I don't think is should be here in the OU forum. As far as I can tell, steam eruption is something just made up. Plz post link.
Nope, the hacker who gave us its stats and movepool confirmed. (Smealum).

Welcome to the watery depths of hell, where it is possible to catch fire from Scalding water.

GF, WHHYYYY??? ;-;

If it turns out to be more spammable than Entei, I can see it moving up to Ubers. Obviously hugely subjective and total speculation but I can't see an attack that strong sitting in OU for any real length of time.

Volcanion itself isn't even confirmed yet.

Well, here's a picture of it from a hacker in the game:

So it's pretty safe to assume it exists.

My thoughts on the move: The fact that it has only 8PP kind of offsets the whole Scald + Hydro Pump + Sacred Fire bullshit especially since Volcanion is pretty slow and is weak to some common types, so it'll probably have a bit more trouble spamming it than Entei does with Sacred Fire. Still, it looks like a bitch to face.

That signature move is utterly absurd. Scald is irritating enough as it is, but Water-type Sacred Fire with 10 more BP? Why?

I actually consider it a very good thing, that it has such type-weaknesses and slow speed, because it already looks like the most irritating thing to switch into. It's too bad, Ground and Rock are mostly physical, and how many electric-types can switch into a 110 BP attack!!!

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey, as far as I know Steam Eruption has 5 PP, meaning that it isn't spammable forever. However, the burn chance breaks stall easily and it's really strong, so that mitigates that somewhat.

On this guy, I'd probably use both Steam Eruption and Scald on most sets, just to make it an even bigger annoyance. #trollface

I actually consider it a very good thing, that it has such type-weaknesses and slow speed, because it already looks like the most irritating thing to switch into. Too bad Ground and Rock are mostly physical, and how many electric-types can switch into a 110 BP attack!!!
Rotom-w will pretty much be a permanent thorn in this guy's side, thankfully.

Where did you get those stats?

EDIT: I'd just like to note that, just like the current stats in the OP, the stats on Pokemon Showdown are not confirmed and likely to change as more information on this pokemon is given.

A burn is annoying on anything. Rotom will probably have something to say about jumping in front of a 110 BP move, from an offensive beast, with a 50 / 50 chance to burn.
Rotom-w is usually running ChestoResto, so as long as you haven't rested before, you'll be fine!!

A burn is annoying on anything. Rotom will probably have something to say about jumping in front of a 110 BP move, from an offensive beast, with a 50 / 50 chance to burn.

Rotom are you crying?

It's just a leak... ;_;

A burn chance is pretty painful for any wall though, especially if you're asked to stomach one with the power of Hydro Pump, even if resisted.

Speaking of which, I can already see it being paired with Pinsir or something Rotom-W weak. Soften up Rotom-W with burn residual damage, clear the way for a Pinsir sweep.

EDIT: Another good check would be the Latis, resisting its two STABs and getting a OHKO with Life Orb and Stealth Rock damage. It's not as affected by burns, which always helps. Though this all depends on whatever coverage move it gets, for all we know it could get Ice Beam which...
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Volcanion Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 247-291 (81.7 - 96.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
...would not be a good sign.

Last edited:
Where did you get those stats?
I think they just hacked the data and peaked at what was already there. I think it could still change. The attacks already shown look like they're all he'll need, super scald and a few fire attacks.

Whelp. Steam eruption may propel him into ubers. I mean sacred fire landed entei in OU. (Last time I checked.) with a stab water move that burns. I don't think OU can take that very well. It's a physical wall that has massive burn potential, flawless mixed attacking stats and isn't exactly specially vulnerable. This seems ubers material. Physicals attackers can at most check this thing, I can see all physical attackers at best checking this thing. What is gonna wall it? Maybe rotom. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)