VoltBurn: Non-weather OU team

Hi guys, I've been lurking for quite a while since I've been only sparring with my friend just for fun. Now I have the confidence to show you my team because I feel this team can net wins in the OU ladder if it gets a few modifications. Initially a team to inflict burns just to annoy my friend (and to battle physical attackers), the team evolved into a burn team with a VoltTurn core. Here's the roster:

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

Forretress is part of the VoltTurn core, my physical defense tank, the spiker, and also my spinner. He does wonders tanking those hits with his defensive typing and his Def stat. What I do not like about him is that his SDef is low and that he has a 4x weakness against Fire shared with Scizor. However, his main job on my team is to only spin the hazards since I will be switching very often which is why I chose Stealth Rock over Spikes.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 232 SDef / 28 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Rotom-W is also part of the VoltTurn core and one of my SDef Tanks. He is one of the two pokemon in the team to inflict the burn status on the opponent's team which makes life easier since I do not have that much Def on my pokemon. His main job is to stall with Will-o-Wisp and Pain Split and He also has a good SAtk stat which makes him a pseudo-bulky attacker. Levitate also helps my team in case I need immunity from Ground attacks.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SDef
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Surf
- Ice Beam / Shadow Ball

Here comes the main man with the mustache. This guy is one defensive monster. He counters the rain teams (especially Keldeo) and even CB/scarf Terrakion and Scizor locked into Close Combat or Superpower, forcing them to switch out and let the next pokemon take a Will-o-Wisp. The burn status he inflicts help alleviate my team's low defense stats and recover the damage off with Water Absorb, Recover, and Leftovers. My only problem with him is that I have a hard time choosing what to put on the fourth slot. Also, both Jellicent and Rotom-W are here to switch into Fire attacks which would otherwise OHKO both Scizor and Forretress.

PEST (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 8 Spd / 248 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- U-turn
- Superpower

There's a reason why I named him PEST, and we all know how much of a pest Scizor can be to your opponent. STAB-CB-Technician-priority Bullet Punch is his primary attack for revenge killing and will always leave a dent. Not much else to say about him except that he is one big PEST to deal with.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Thundurus-T's main job is to widen my team's coverage with his moveset and resistances and try to OHKO the opposition with his Expert Belt boosted super effective attacks. He can also switch into electric and grass attacks which would OHKO Jellicent and Rotom-W and hit back with super effective moves for the kill. He is the last member of the VoltTurn and is VERY GRATEFUL for the VoltTurn core pokemon's low speed stats and high defensive stats so that the other members can switch him in safely while taking the damage for him beforehand.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Lonely Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw

This Scarfmence is one physical attacking behemoth. He is the team's late-game sweeper with Moxie and Scarf combined. Once the steel types are gone or weakened to the extent of being OHKO'd by STAB Outrage, he tears through teams like they're made of paper. Also, with Scarf equipped combined with excellent coverage, he is also one of the team's revenge killers, killing whatever Scizor cannot revenge kill such as non-scarfed Dragons and other Steel types.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 232 SDef / 28 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Jellicent @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SDef
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Scald
- Ice Beam

PEST (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 8 Spd / 248 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- U-turn
- Superpower

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Lonely Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw

With that, I leave you guys to rate my team whether it be positive or negative. Thank you for reading and I hope to hear constructive criticism from the community.

this would be a GREAT offensive rain team if you were to switch out foretress for politoad, or you could switch out foretress for ferrothorn to make this an EXCELLENT counter to rain teams.

Regardless, Ferrothorn is a better choice for a wall then foretress. It has a better defensive spread and of course counters bulky waters better then foretress.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Impish Nature
0 speed IVs
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip/stealth rocks
- Spikes
- gyro ball

I would suggest next that you put Life orb on scizor because locking scizor into one move will force you to switch constantly, and that is a MAJOR weakness. Life orb gives you more flexibility which is in my opinion worth it.

When it comes to Jellicent, I suggest ice beam over shadow ball because jellicent is TOO SLOW to take on it's ghostly brothers with shadow ball, and ice beam will definitely help you with dragons. I also suggest the EV spread of 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd because the speed will help you outspeed a lot of the slower metagame, and you don't need any special defense EVs on jellicent. I also suggest scald over surf because the extra burn chance is better way then the added 15BP of surf. It also saves you a turn because you won't have to will-o-wisp, and with scald you may still want will-o-wisp but you could also put on toxic for better coverage (however I do not suggest you rely on 30% hax so will-o-wisp still may be the batter choice).

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp OR toxic

For salamance I only suggest you give it fire fang. Personally I like the dragon dance set, but I feel this team needs a revenge killer. So fire fang because the difference in attack:Special attack makes fire fang do almost as much damage as fire blast anyway, and Accuracy is key .

Lastly for thundurus, if you want to make this a great rain team counter then put on thunder instead of thunderbolt, but if you want to keep this as a basic OU-non-weather team then replace him. I suggest his brother, landorus. He has a better move pool when it comes to non-weather teams. I suggest the rock polish landorus set since the speed increase from rockpolish makes him almost impossible to kill without a scarfed revenge killer.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 70 HP / 252 SAtk / 188 Spd
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Good luck, and have fun :D

I agree with the rain counter idea, but it really depends on what you want this team to be. In the description it says non-weather so I'm assuming you don't want Politoed? I also agree with the rock polish Landorus set suggested by Basileus. However, I think that Fire Blast is a better move for Salamence as it does so much more to Skarmory. Try using Fire Fang on Skarmory, the damage output is much too low. In addition for Jellicent, I would choose Ice Beam over Shadow Ball, as Shadow Ball really only hits psychics and Gengar. And you can't outspeed Gengar, with Jellicent. This is a great team so good luck with it. The IVs on Scizor, is that a mistake?

Gimmick

Electric potential
Hey fenrir04!

Cool team, but I do see some problems that really should be worked out because they're too difficult to dealt with. First is Thundurus-T, who 2HKOs/OHKOs everything on your team with just Thunder/HP Ice, meaning set-up variants can flat-out sweep (especially LO Modest Agility). I want to start with prevention by changing a few moves throughout your team. Replace Grass Knot with Hidden Power [Ice] on Thundurus-T to deal SE damage to opposing ones. It also gives you BoltBeam coverage to hit other Pokemon like Gliscor and Dragonite (who otherwise don't really mind unboosted Grass Knots and Thunderbolts). Grass Knot has some utility, but it gets very similar coverage to HP Ice anyway. Next, on Scizor, I think you should try out Quick Attack. If Thundurus-T manages to set up, this is a great way to dish out a ton of damage since Bullet Punch is otherwise resisted. It also deals respectable damage to Volcarona, who can be a pain if it sets up too much. Pursuit definitely helps against Lati@s and Gengar, but it leaves you locked into an non-STAB 75 BP dark move (which asks Terrakion to come in and setup) whereas simply U-turning provides pressure and momentum. Plus, you have a Scarf Salamence which easily revenge kills all of them.

Next, I have a solution to your 4 move slot syndrome on Jellicent. Shadow Ball has much more utility than Ice Beam for your team since it allows you to easily spinblock non-Thunder Starmies. Your cleaners definitely rely on SR to weaken stuff like Volcarona and Dragonite, so spinblocking seems pretty important.

Since you have a specially defensive Jellicent, I really don't think you need a SDef Rotom-W as well - they share the same typing already so it's pretty redundant. Since you decided upon a voltturn core, I'd like to suggest a more offensive Rotom-W, specifically Choice Specs. Specs Rotom-W pairs wonderfully with CB Scizor in applying massive pressure and gives you an awesome utility move in Trick. Common switch-ins like Ferrothorn (which troubles your team a bit) won't appreciate being locked into one move. Here's the set:
@ Choice Specs
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SAtk / 248 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Originally, I wanted to suggest the bulky Modest one that outspeeds Jolly Breloom, but I realized that this one hits a speed tier necessary for your team. It outspeeds Jolly Mamoswine, who would otherwise only fear Scizor and Forretress if Rotom-W is at Superpower KO range.

Lastly (and generally speaking), you're a bit Sun weak. Everything is OHKO'd by Venusaur after Stealth Rock, but you have Scizor's priority, SR, and the ability to Life Orb stall it. It can be worked around, but if you want a surefire check to it, you can try out a specially defensive Latias. The problem is that there really isn't a good replacement for it. Jellicent is your SDef wall, but it also checks Scizor and spreads burns. Rotom-W is part of your VoltTurn core. Thundurus-T is another part of your Volt-Turn core, but provides really nice coverage along with your only fighting type move. However, if you were to replace one, I'd go with Thundurus-T. Basically, adding Latias to your team would help wonderfully against opposing weather teams (rain and sun) while still retaining speed and a fighting resist. The best set for your team would look something like this:
(F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SDef / 120 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
- Recover
- STAB or Utility - Dragon Pulse / Refresh / Psycho Shift / Reflect / Tailwind

Basically, once you paralyze Venusaur, it won't be a problem since you have several hard hitters. The set is pretty self-explanatory, but Psyshock was chosen over Dragon Pulse for its ability to dish out SE damage against fighting types (and Venusaur).

Anyway, that's all I got! The team is pretty solid, and the debate between Thundurus-T and Latias is up to you since you've played with the team and know how to deal with stuff. Good luck!~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)