SM OU VoltTurn Sand Chomp Offense

Hi everyone and welcome to my first ever RMT on Showdown. Sorry if it is a bit disorganized.. Anyways, I've decided to make an unusual sand team that actually has been working quite well and pretty fun to use. Mega Garchomp is very hard hitting as well. Without further ado here they are.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 72 SpD / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam / Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Obviously a sand team would not exist without the main weather setter: Tyranitar. Its multiple roles of acting as a pivot, hazard-setter, weather-setter, anti-lead, and a hard hitter is just amazing. Taunt exists to prevent other leads' hazards with the exception of Nihilego, Necrozma (who gets trapped by a Pursuit), and a few others. Its 220 speed allows it outspeed defensive Lando-T, Toxapex, Alolan Marowak, and Celesteela. Stealth Rock is there for rocks... simple as that. Now I was debating between Ice Beam and Stone Edge for the 3rd move. Ice Beam can hurt Lando-T and Chomp extremely badly, but Stone Edge is an excellent STAB move to just hit hard. The last move Pursuit really only has one purpose and it's to trap Alolan Marowak as it is a huge threat to this team. Other than that it can trap and kill mons with low HP quickly thanks to its speed EVs.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 188 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Bone
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

One of the best and one of my favorite mons in sun and moon right now is this. It completely walls Pheromosa, Kartana and pretty much all Electric types like Xurkitree and Tapu Koko, some of the biggest offensive threats as of now. Its fantastic typing and insanely good ability plus a fantastic movepool allows it to act as a wall then counter-attack and hit extremely hard thanks to its Thick Club reaching an insane 424 Atk stat with only 64 EVs. Will-O-Wisp is preferred over Flare Blitz since the recoil damage hurts plus Shadow Bone hits hard enough already and can cripple hard hitting mons and slower teams. Knock Off is there to get rid of unwanted items and for stall teams and to outspeed other Alolan Marowaks because of its 4 Speed EVs in case T-tar dies. Earthquake is there to hit Heatran, Toxapex, and Electric types.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt / Thunderbolt

The 1st half of the VoltTurn core consists of this monster bird, Tapu Koko. There's not much to say about this mon other than that it hits pretty hard and can be a mid game sweeper. Volt Switch is essential here to gain momentum and pick off kills to into your next mon. Dazzling Gleam is a strong STAB move that can hurt things like Buzzwole and Pheromosa. HP Ice is pretty much on every single Electric type mon to catch things like Lando-T, Chomp, and other ground, grass, or flying types. If you need another Taunter, then go for that, but if you want a stronger Electric move, then Thunderbolt is the way to go.

Pheromosa @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly / Naive Nature
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn
- Poison Jab / Ice Beam
- High Jump Kick

Now here is one of the quickest and strongest mons I have ever seen in my life. Yes it has its counters, yes it has piss-poor defenses, but if you weaken its counters then it's a wrap from there on out. Just click HJK and the game will end. All jokes aside, this thing really is extremely strong. Acting as the other half of the VoltTurn core, you gain momentum off of two super hard hitting mons of Pheromosa and Tapu Koko. Whatever Pheromosa can't kill, Garchomp can. Rapid Spin is my only means of removing hazards which is pretty sad honestly considering it is a horrible spinner. U-turn gains momentum. Poison Jab or Ice Beam is personal choice here, as you can hit hard defensive Lando-T and other flying types while Poison Jab can pick off all of the Tapus and other Fairy types. HJK, finally, is the main hard hitting move. Pheromosa is an excellent late game sweeper and very good in this team.

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Now, the main star of the show and team is Mega-Garchomp, one of the coolest and underrated mons in my opinion. In sand, Sand Veil helps a lot even if it's a bit haxy. Its Earthquake literally executes any mon that doesn't resist it in the sand. Dragon Claw is for the Dragon and flying types. Swords Dance makes Mega chomp instantly choose a kill and Fire Fang is fantastic coverage for steel types such as Celesteela and Kartana. This and Pheromosa have good synergy as they can kill their respective counters.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- Protect

Finally, the last half of the defensive core with Marowak is Celesteela. It is specially defensive to counter Tapu Lele, which is a huge threat to my team. Leech Seed continually drains the health from other mons while giving Celesteela some form of recovery along with its Leftovers. Flamethrower is for Ferrothorns, other Celesteelas, and Kartanas. Air Slash is for bulky Fighting types for a good amount of damage while Protect allows scouting and an extra turn of recovery. The reason why it has 44 Def EVs is because so that Life Orb Mamoswine cannot 2HKO Celesteela as that is also a big threat to this team. Overall, Celesteela is a very solid member of the team and helps set up sweeps later in the game for either Garchomp or Pheromosa.

Threats:

I have only way 2 ways of killing this (besides chomp) and that's either trading pokemon kills or I pursuit trap this thing until it dies. It hits very very hard as well making it probably the biggest threat as of now.

If my Celesteela is weakened then this thing will have a fun time sweeping through my time. If it's scarfed then it's even worse since now it will outspeed Phero. Its Psychics hit very hard especially in the Psychic terrain and is also a huge threat to this team.

Team:
Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 72 SpD / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Pursuit

Pheromosa @ Expert Belt
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- High Jump Kick

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 188 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Bone
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- Protect

Thank you for reading my team and I am open to any changes and criticism I get for this.

But, isn't your team vulnerable to a Scarf Lando, once the Celesteela is gone ? Moreover, I get the feeling that if faced with enough bulk the life orb that you rock on 2 of your mons, plus stealth rocks and the sandstorm damage really wear this team down quickly, . Won't Pheromosa take unnecessary damage from being a life orb spinner ? ...Had any such problem or is it just me :/?? I am generally new in the competitive , so I might be wrong

Your team seems pretty decent. I have some changes that can help the team out a bit more without changing too much stuff.

-->
First thing I suggest is adding Hippowdon over Tyranitar. Hippo sets up sand for Mega Garchomp and set's up rocks for the team just like ttar. With Hippo you can take on things like smack down Landorus-Therian, DD EQ Mega Charizard-x, and can also switch into Alola Marowak. Also Hippowdon has better longevity than Tyranitar, so you will have sand for longer. Also I don't think you really need pursuit support with ttar, you already have a good latios counter, which is Celesteela, and you have 2 solid checks to latios as well.

-->
(Marowak-Alola) This team has no water resist which is very bad. So put Amoonguss over Alolan Marowak. Amoonguss still gives you a good electric resist and also gives you a solid water resist. This also gives you a decent tapu bulu and tapu fini switch in, but beware of Zen headbutt tapu bulu. I think Amoonguss will help a lot more than Alolan Marowak.

Also I suggest adding Brave Bird on Tapu Koko. With adding Amoonguss over Marowak, the team is super weak to things like opposing Amoonguss and Mega Venu. So run brave bird koko with 44 attack evs, with 44 attack evs you guarantee a 2HKO on defensive Mega Venu, AV Tang, Marowak-Alola and Amoonguss after rocks. You can put Brave Bird over taunt/tbolt. If you don't want to run 44 attack evs, you can run 4 atk evs. You will still 2HKO Offensive Mega Venu, av tang, and amoonguss after rocks but you will not 2 hit ko Alolan Marowak 100% of the time.
Note: With Brave Bird and Life orb on tapu koko, you will take a lot of recoil. So you can also add Roost over dazzle gleam, if you like.

I believe these changes can really improve your team. I hope I helped.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge/Toxic/Whirlwind

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power Fire

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
EVs: 44 Atk / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam / Roost
- Brave Bird

OR
Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam
- Brave Bird

44 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 122-144 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

44 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 187-221 (51.5 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 117-138 (36.1 - 42.5%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Venusaur-Mega: 213-252 (59.3 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangrowth: 208-247 (51.4 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Amoonguss: 250-296 (58 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Last edited:
Your team seems pretty decent. I have some changes that can help the team out a bit more without changing too much stuff.

-->
First thing I suggest is adding Hippowdon over Tyranitar. Hippo sets up sand for Mega Garchomp and set's up rocks for the team just like ttar. With Hippo you can take on things like smack down Landorus-Therian, DD EQ Mega Charizard-x, and can also switch into Alola Marowak. Also Hippowdon has better longevity than Tyranitar, so you will have sand for longer. Also I don't think you really need pursuit support with ttar, you already have a good latios counter, which is Celesteela, and you have 2 solid checks to latios as well.

-->
(Marowak-Alola) This team has no water resist which is very bad. So put Amoonguss over Alolan Marowak. Amoonguss still gives you a good electric resist and also gives you a solid water resist. This also gives you a decent tapu bulu and tapu fini switch in, but beware of Zen headbutt tapu bulu. I think Amoonguss will help a lot more than Alolan Marowak.

Also I suggest adding Brave Bird on Tapu Koko. With adding Amoonguss over Marowak, the team is super weak to things like opposing Amoonguss and Mega Venu. So run brave bird koko with 44 attack evs, with 44 attack evs you guarantee a 2HKO on defensive Mega Venu, AV Tang, Marowak-Alola and Amoonguss after rocks. You can put Brave Bird over taunt/tbolt. If you don't want to run 44 attack evs, you can run 4 atk evs. You will still 2HKO Offensive Mega Venu, av tang, and amoonguss after rocks but you will not 2 hit ko Alolan Marowak 100% of the time.
Note: With Brave Bird and Life orb on tapu koko, you will take a lot of recoil. So you can also add Roost over dazzle gleam, if you like.

I believe these changes can really improve your team. I hope I helped.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge/Toxic/Whirlwind

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power Fire

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
EVs: 44 Atk / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam / Roost
- Brave Bird

OR
Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam
- Brave Bird

44 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 122-144 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

44 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 187-221 (51.5 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 117-138 (36.1 - 42.5%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Venusaur-Mega: 213-252 (59.3 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangrowth: 208-247 (51.4 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Amoonguss: 250-296 (58 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Thank you for your suggestions I think amoonguss and tyranitar were good additions over alola marowak and ttar and yeah I do need a water resist. I'll definitely make changes now

But, isn't your team vulnerable to a Scarf Lando, once the Celesteela is gone ? Moreover, I get the feeling that if faced with enough bulk the life orb that you rock on 2 of your mons, plus stealth rocks and the sandstorm damage really wear this team down quickly, . Won't Pheromosa take unnecessary damage from being a life orb spinner ? ...Had any such problem or is it just me :/?? I am generally new in the competitive , so I might be wrong
Against scarf lando I just have to play extremely careful with my celesteela

Against scarf lando I just have to play extremely careful with my celesteela
Okay ^^ , just saying , 'cause it could make the game the game more difficult for you, but if you think you can take care of the predictions, I do not see any problem :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)