[QC Ready 0/3] Barbaracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

[Pros]
<ul>
<li>Access to the best boosting move in the game: Shell Smash</li>
<li>High Attack and Defense stat</li>
<li>Nice ability that pairs well with the many high critical hit rate moves it learns. </li>
<li>Decent STABs</li>
<li>Diverse Movepool</li>
</ul>

[Cons]
<ul>
<li>Only resist two Priority moves. </li>
<li>Highest physical Water STAB is Razor Shell, which only has 75 Power, and it's secondary STAB has very shaky accuracy.</li>
<li>Serious weaknesses due to his typing</li>
<li>Relies on innacurate moves</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Barbaracle @ Focus Sash / White Herb / Life Orb<br />
Ability: Tough Claws<br />
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Spe <br />
Jolly Nature (+Attack, -SpA)<br />
- Shell Smash<br />
- Razor Shell<br />
- Stone Edge / Earthquake<br />
- Cross Chop / Poison Jab / Night Slash</p>

<p>Shell Smash is undoubtedly the best boosting move in the game. Barbaracle is no exception to what greatness is. At +2, Barbaracle reaches a staggering 540 Attack and a respectable 378 Speed! Razor Shell is a very powerful STAB move at +2. Tough Claws boosts Cross Chop, Poison Jab, and Razor Shell, making it the far superior ability. Earthquake could be used to hit through Aegislash and other Steel-types, but Cross Chop is more useful for better coverage. Focus Sash ensures Barbaracle will get a Shell Smash in, while White Herb can be used to recover lost Defenses. Life Orb is another option, as it does give a substantial boost in power to Barbaracle. Barbaracle might seem outclassed by Cloyster in just about every respect, but Barbaracle lacks a Stealth Rock weakness and pitiful Special Defense. Poison Jab had never been viable before, but Barbaracle makes it work, as it can finally beat Grass types that wall it. Be careful with how you use Barbaracle, as it is not a Pokemon you can just set up and sweep with, you must be wary of status and hazards.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Grass-types such as Ferrothorn and Amoonguss must be wary of X-Scissor or Poison Jab, but won't be taking much from it anyways. Ferrothorn walls it as well, resisting its Dual STABs and setting up on Barbracle. Taunt sorely defeats Barbaracle, as it prevents it from setting up and attempting a sweep. A lot of Scarf Pokemon outspeed it, even at +2, such Pokemon also reliably counter it as it will likely be at -1 Defense anyways, so it is prone to being revenge killed. Mach Punches from Breloom and Conkeldurr also halt it's sweep. Finally, Mega Venusaur walls it to no end, as does Venusaur, but to a lesser extent.</p>

Last edited:
Tough Claws is going to be a better ability than attempting to bank on a critical hit with sniper on a pokemon with so many weaknesses that's liable to be at a defense drop. Also critical hits have been nerfed and it wants the increased power on it's contact moves.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Highest physical Water STAB is Razor Shell, which only has 75 Power and a shaky accuracy.</li>
im getting 95 accuracy on Veekun, which isnt updated for Gen 6 yet, so did its acc change a significant amount to warrant this wording, or did you mean Stone Edge or something (which comes to mind when the words shaky accuracy are used).

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Take out mentions of Celebi for the time being as its unreleased. Don't really mention Avalugg has a check as it can't really wall Barnacle here, and in reality this guy should usually be carrying Stone Edge. You could also slash life orb somewhere, as the extra power is always nice.

My main concern is lack of Tough Claws. It is a very solid ability and allows for KOs that otherwise it would not achieve. Relying on crits is unreliable at best, and it is much better to get a guaranteed power boost with Tough claws.

AfroThunderRule
I don't know, I used the Speed Calculator and that is what I got...
Princess Bubblegum
Yes, it is a very strong counter to it! Thanks for pointing that out!
ginganinja
Sorry, I worded that horribly. I was trying to say that its highest Water STAB is only 75 Base Power, while its other STAB move has very shaky accuracy.
PDC Zyirael
I see why you would use Tough Claws, but what moves actually get boosted? Stone Edge won't, would Razor Shell? I know that Crits got nerfed, but what is the point of wasting an ability? Almost as bad as using Anticipation on Ferrothorn imo. Just because it has a good ability, doesn't mean it can make use of it in some cases. This being one of those times.

razor shell is boosted by tough claws, as are cross chop and poison jab. it's definetly the superior ability

hell, id even say pickpocket is superior to sniper if you go with white herb, since you can nab leftovers/life orb or something once WH is consumed

razor shell is boosted by tough claws, as are cross chop and poison jab. it's definetly the superior ability

hell, id even say pickpocket is superior to sniper if you go with white herb, since you can nab leftovers/life orb or something once WH is consumed

Aww, I did not know this, I will edit the OP.

Grass-types such as Ferrothorn and Amoonguss must be wary of X-Scissor or Poison Jab, but won't be taking much from it anyways.
This first half of this sentence contradicts the second half. Choose different examples or scrap it all together.

Mention Gourgeist-Superas a solid counter.

I don't understand why focus Sash is the primary slash when you usually won't be bringing this guy in during the early stages of the match where hazards are yet to be put.

Place White Herb as the primary slash followed by Lum Berry and then Life Orb.

Night Slash should be removed from the last moveslot, since you aren't using Sniper and it is only going to be useful for those Ghost/Grass mons. It can be mentioned in Additional Comments.

Aside from that good work, the checks and counters section could do with some beefing up i guess. Once you made the changes let me know, I'll skim this again then stamp it if its all good.

Last edited:

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
what somalia said but adding...

Ferrothorn walls it as well, resisting its Dual STABs and setting up on Barbracle.
Your only set is a Shell Smash set with CROSS CHOP as the main slash in the third option. Either reword or remove.

im i the only one considering wide lens being great on this guy? been suing him and the ammount of time i miss my moves after a shell smash is rediculous razor shell,cross shop and stone edje can really screw you using wide lens atleast gives you a 100% acc atack and a boost to the others imo.

also you say this
"Grass-types such as Ferrothorn and Amoonguss must be wary of X-Scissor or Poison Jab"
neither ferrothorn or amoonguss are wary of x scizor or poison jab since it isnt SE on neither

In your set up you mention jolly (+atk -spatk). Jolly boosts speed not attack. Adamant boosts attack. I think it's just a typo but I wanted to point it out so your analysis can be accurate :)

I wouldn't say shell smash is the best boosting move in the game, quiver dance and geomancy exist... other than that this is fine, approved

The author of this thread cannot continue this work (they have notified me via PM). I will be taking over so this can be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)