ORAS OU Waking the Fallen (1.6k RMT Featuring Zoroark)

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Waking the Fallen

1.6k post ORAS OU team by Adamant Foreskin Zoroark

Oh, hey. I haven't been here in a while. This is something I intended to do as a 1.5k RMT, but I couldn't quite make Zoroark work in OU back then, so I held it off until 1.6k - so I guess you can consider this a 1.5k that's 100 posts late. So we have here a team using my favorite Pokemon named after my favorite album from one of my favorite bands.

Of course, the most striking thing about this team is the use of Zoroark - Adamant Zoroark, why the FUCK are you doing this? We've already established that Zoroark sucks! Well, Zoroark is my favorite Pokemon. I wanted to make it work. For ages, this team remained in the theorymon phase - how was I going to make it work? I already knew making Zoroark the win condition wouldn't work from my past testing of Zoroark, so I felt defeated for a while. However, in the end, I pulled through and made this. This team has gone through several changes - Zoroark and Scizor are the only members who remained on the team consistently. I'll explain in the descriptions of the other four, but first, I'll go into more detail about the theorymon stage of this team.

The idea for this team started a long time ago - I wanted to use Zoroark in ORAS OU for my 1.5k RMT. Initially, I was trying to make Zoroark the win condition. However, I found that I was unable to use it effectively as such, as I'd try to preserve it for so long that Illusion ended up being utterly worthless. This put me back into theorymon stage as I continued searching for ways to find Zoroark. I kept on thinking in ways to build the team around Zoroark, but couldn't think of any that I could even remotely think of as working. Eventually, I surpassed 1.5k posts and abandoned the idea for the team.

However, as I neared 1.6k posts, I started thinking of it again, this time around, I had realized I was thinking in the wrong terms the whole time - Zoroark was never going to work as a win condition. Instead, why not use it as a support? I know. You're thinking I'm really fucking crazy right now. Trust me - I'll explain how this works.

Alright. Let's get into just explaining the team.

1. Waking the Fallen

Garchomp (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Team Role

Garchomp has a simple role - Get up Stealth Rock. In the early stages of this team, I was using suicide leads like Skarmory and Forretress to get my rocks up - however, this had a really bad effect on the team's performance as it destroyed anything resembling synergy and essentially meant I was playing with a whole Pokemon down for the entire match. Simple solution - Garchomp. Get up Rocks, and then be Garchomp.

Swords Dance and Lum Berry has a simple purpose - to break through Mega Sableye attempting to switch in to block my Stealth Rocks. Other than that, SD has no real use. Garchomp's job is to get up Stealth Rock, first and foremost - if I need to use it as a win condition, I will, but it is not Garchomp's purpose on this team.

Brief Explanation of Song Choice

Waking the Fallen is the first track on this Avenged Sevenfold classic, being an intro track. Garchomp starts this team off like the title track starts the album off.

8. Radiant Eclipse

Zoroark (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Illusion
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Return

Team Role

Zoroark is by far the weirdest choice on this team. It's been rejected for an OU analysis, and, to be frank, likely doesn't warrant a spot on the OU viability rankings. So why the hell am I using this thing? Well, the reason can simply be summed up as "It's a throwback to my old BW OU days when I made so many RMTs featuring Zoroark." However, Zoroark is not here just to be here.

Although this set certainly looks like a win condition set, I repeat: Zoroark is NOT a win condition. Zoroark is a support. Now, let me explain this. Let's say Zoroark is out disguised as Scizor (if Scizor is already Mega Evolved, I will use it as a disguise for Zoroark - vanilla Scizor using Swords Dance is extremely fishy as Choice Band is the only viable vanilla Scizor set.) What are some things that switch into Scizor? Well, Rotom-W and Heatran are a couple of popular examples that come to mind. Zoroark can Swords Dance up - and since Scizor also uses Swords Dance, the illusion remains intact, so they suspect nothing. Then, I smack them with a Knock Off, dealing a huge chunk of damage to them. Even if Zoroark gets burned or something, Rotom-W isn't surviving a follow-up Return (not risking Sucker Punch as it could easily Pain Split) assuming Stealth Rocks are up and Heatran fares off even worse. So, Zoroark can get these Pokemon out of the way. At the same time, it can do more than just support Scizor. Wanna trick Gliscor into switching out? Easy. Disguise Zoroark as Latios and watch Gliscor switch out - or Protect attempting to scout a move or something. Either way, Zoroark comes out on top here. Point being - Zoroark, on this team, is an adaptable support that can serve whatever role I need it to - do I need to support a Scizor sweep? Do I need to support Latios? Do I need to support Clefable? Whatever I need to do, Zoroark can do it. Is it gimmicky? Yes. But that's just what I love about it. When the opponent catches on to the fact that it's Zoroark, I have Return for the purpose of hitting Fairy-types neutrally. So, surprisingly enough, if my Focus Sash is still intact, this thing actually beats Azumarill. Huh. Interesting.

This lesser-known track off of Waking is my favorite A7X song - it is Avenged's only song played in the Drop C tuning, giving it a nice dark sound that I just can't resist. I only thought it appropriate to use my favorite song from Avenged for my favorite Pokemon.

6. Eternal Rest

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Team Role

Magneton is a Steel trapper. Early on, it was apparent that this team was having serious issues handling Skarmory and Ferrothorn, so I decided I'd pack a trapper to handle them. However, I was also struggling to beat Talonflame. Magnezone would normally be my go-to Steel trapper, but Choice Scarf Magnezone does not outspeed Jolly Talonflame - Choice Scarf Magneton does. So, Magneton's role is really simple - trap Skarmory, trap Ferrothorn, team happy. In addition, it also outspeeds Starmie and Thundurus, which Scarfzone can't do. Not my primary reason for using Magneton, but hey, it's neat.

Magneton traps Ferrothorn and sends that fucking spikeball into an Eternal Rest. That's it, really.

4. Remenissions

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

Team Role

Here's what Latios does - Revenge kill Mega Charizard X? Check. Defog hazards away? Check. Trick a nice Choice Scarf onto everybody's favorite Eviolite-wielding pink blob? Cheeeeeeeck. Latios here gets hazards the fuck away so as to help ensure Zoroark's Focus Sash remains intact - from my experience, the sash is more important to Zoroark's function than Illusion is, as it helps Zoroark to at least ensure a couple of kills before it goes down. In addition, I was having really bad problems with Mega Charizard X early on, so I started packing this thing to revenge kill it in a pinch.

This song has a lyric that goes: "A good friend once told me, 'you are memory' / Without them, we equal nothing" Latios is this team's good friend.

3. Chapter Four

Scizor (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost

Team Role

Sweeper. Mega Metagross switch-in. Win condition. Bullet Punch things. Alright, I always really loved Scizor, but for some reason have never used it on a Generation 6 team. When I got back into theorymoning for Zoroark, I decided it would be the perfect time to use Scizor as it can function as a disguise for Zoroark and benefit from the support function I hypothesized. Even beyond synergizing with Zoroark, Scizor is just a nice Swords Dance sweeper, consistent Megagross switch-in (unless someone decides running HP Fire or something is a good idea? I don't know) good priority to pick off weakened threats in a pinch, and Fairy killer - fuck Mega Altaria to hell.

Lyric: "I've come here to kill you, won't leave until you've died." Scizor sweeps. It's here to kill you and isn't leaving until you're dead.

2. Unholy Confessions

Clefable (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SpA / 192 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Soft-Boiled

Team Role

This Clefable set is something I based on the Tank set - I wanted a combination of the offensive tank and the Calm Mind set. So this Clefable functions as a tank when I need it to and as a Calm Mind sweeper when I need it to. Furthermore, fucking Magic Guard man - Toxic? Naaah man, Clefable don't care.

The reason I wanted a mix goes beyond just fulfilling whatever role I want - I designed this set to be able to bluff the tank set, and then fire off a surprise Calm Mind. The EVs are designed to avoid the 2HKO from LO Thundurus-I's Thunderbolt - still using a Modest Nature to ensure I retain at least reasonable power. I originally had Flamethrower on this set, but once I started packing Magneton, Flamethrower no longer had a use. So, instead, I'm using Thunderbolt to have something to land a hit on Mega Charizard Y - something I'm rather weak to.

Unholy Confessions wasn't going unmentioned. Plus, you'd associate "Unholy" with a Dark-type (Zoroark???) so I put Unholy Confessions for the Fairy-type instead just to fuck with y'all.

Conclusion

This team reignited my love for using Zoroark. Is it gimmicky as hell? Yes, definitely. However, in this case, I find "gimmicky" to be fun. I may come up with new ideas for Zoroark in the future, but this has been a nice refreshing throwback to my old days of using Zoroark in BW OU. Any rates would be greatly appreciated, but Zoroark is the one Pokemon that stays on the team no matter what. I built this team with the purpose of using Zoroark - I'm not throwing away that purpose.

Importable

Garchomp (M) @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Zoroark (F) @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Return

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

Scizor (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost

Clefable (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SpA / 192 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Soft-Boiled

Shoutouts (in hide tags, no alerts for you folk)

Recreant
Chelsea Grin suuuuuuucks

Karxrida
I had Bisharp on this team at one point but got rid of it. Mad?

New World Order
I can tell you've been inactive, but your rates on my teams back from the BW OU era really helped me out. Thanks!

PK Gaming
You probably don't know me, but you were the reason I was so motivated to use Zoroark back in BW OU. Thanks for being a source of inspiration.

Stratos
I apologize for all of my Firebot posts relating to foreskin

Tressed
Your Deviantart is still empty as hell. Fix

DarkNostalgia
I never got around to rating your team "Altitude," but Toxicroak is really cool. Cool team bud

Bestow5000
You're inactive as hell, but you helped me get my shit together when I really sucked at this game.

Medievil
Read: Above

Sebberball

formerly BoXeD
Hello Adamant Foreskin, I'm here to try to be helpful for once in my smogon life...
for your Garchomp, you should run a set that looks like this
Garchomp @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive/Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast/Iron Head

You may be wondering "HOW THE FUCK IS THIS BETTER" well for 1. This is a CrashingBoomBang set, and it can kill the steel types you mentioned, alternatively you can run stone edge over fire blast or iron head for Talonshit but for fire blast, you can alternatively change the SpA EVs for more fire blast power, but other than that it's a guaranteed 2HKO on Ferrothorn, and it's a 1HKO on Magnezone with EQ... Although it doesn't have swords dance, it trades in power for utility! Really all I can find, so if you want to PM mean things about my set, go ahead!

Hello Adamant Foreskin, I'm here to try to be helpful for once in my smogon life...
for your Garchomp, you should run a set that looks like this
Garchomp @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive/Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast/Iron Head

You may be wondering "HOW THE FUCK IS THIS BETTER" well for 1. This is a CrashingBoomBang set, and it can kill the steel types you mentioned, alternatively you can run stone edge over fire blast or iron head for Talonshit but for fire blast, you can alternatively change the SpA EVs for more fire blast power, but other than that it's a guaranteed 2HKO on Ferrothorn, and it's a 1HKO on Magnezone with EQ... Although it doesn't have swords dance, it trades in power for utility! Really all I can find, so if you want to PM mean things about my set, go ahead!
He stated that he would like Garchomp to come in handy after he sets up rocks, something that this set cannot do as reliably due to the way it encourages being played. Furthermore, SD Lum Garchomp has a superior match-up to Mega Sableye. Also, this isn't that related, but I don't think CBB made that set, just used it.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I'm not really seeing how that improves my team. Not a very good matchup against Mega Sableye in particular, so I feel like it'd actually make it harder for me to get up my rocks.

After assessing your team, looking at Recreant's suggestions, I'll second Tank 'Chomp > Lum SD 'Chomp (BTW, Magneton does count as a Talon check, regardless of how niche it is). After a look at your team, SD Bisharp powers through it quite easily, half of the team has their attacking moves resisted by it, two of them can put a hefty dent in it but are both OHKO'd at +2, and Garchomp can't take on LO variants.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 344-407 (96.3 - 114%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Tank 'Chomp on the other hand takes 82% max from Adamant LO variants and OHKO's with Earthquake almost all the time (Or all the time after LO recoil).

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Rest / Fire Blast / Endure

The last slot is really just up to you. This also doesn't bolster your Mega Sableye weakness significantly as Garchomp can phaze it out. While it won't do much in last 'mon scenarios, Clefable is there anyways.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Bisharp has pretty much been one of my "Oh, shit" things in the teambuilder. When I do see it, I've tended to bait it out using a Zoroark disguised as Latios (even without Low Kick, +2 Zoroark still wins a combination of Knock Off + Sucker Punch still does Bisharp in - except for like Assault Vest or something but those aren't as hard to deal with as SD Bisharp) but Tank 'Chomp does sound a bit more appealing now looking at it through the eyes of handling Bisharp rather than looking at it as a way to handle Talonflame (since I already have a Talon check as-is) With Clefable here, Mega Sableye's really not too hard to deal with anyway. (the first form of this team was like Skarmory / Zoroark / Bisharp / Starmie / M-Scizor / Dragonite - that could do LITERALLY NOTHING to Mega Sableye, it was ridiculous, like seriously I put Clefable on the team after just one battle)

Hey dude, sorry for taking a while for me to write a review of this team. Anyway...
I am still skeptical of a SR suicide Chomp set with a Defog Latios. From what I can see on paper, it would have been a waste to just set up rocks, die and then have Latios used Defog afterwards later in the match (unless the opponent has set up more hazards than you). You can try Flygonial's EV spread but the only difference that I will modify is that if you want to have Rocks up afterwards again if you used Defog, or just want his survival rate to go up, then Leftovers over Rocky Helmet works. Reason being? You are sacrificing most of your health just to get a bit of damage on the opponent with the helmet. Maybe you can go for Dragon Claw as your last move so that you may catch some incoming stuff that can avoid EQ and also because Dragon Tail isn't going to help sometimes because of the minus priority. Rest is also a good option if you want to survive longer, but that would also mean that you will have to have Heal Bell over Thunderbolt, because chances of you going in a combat against Charizard Y is just asking for a death wish. Sure, you might be able to 2HKO Char Y, but then in return, you lose Clefable or something else a bit too fast. You already have other things that can take it on. But those are just my two cents. I might be wrong, though.

Now secondly, Keldeo is a huge threat to your team. If a Scarf set is enough to do damage to your team, a Specs will just walk over most of your team. Your Clefable is going to get 2HKO'd in a switch in, so that is not good. Chances of you getting a successful Calm Mind and then tank the opponent's team is not that high, and physical tanks can come and do a lot of damage to you, too. Your Clefable already has Life Orb, and you'll do a lot of damage to begin with, so you can choose to have Thunderbolt over Calm Mind. Reason? Thunderbolt will still 2HKO Charizard either way, and Moonblast...well, bye, Keldeo. Furthermore, you can at least take some hits before dying. But there is another EV spread that I THINK might work out in your favor...

Clefable @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SpA / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish / Calm Mind

I hope that helps. I'm not the best, so I apologize in advance for that. Anyway, if it works then I am glad. Cheers!

Hey dude, sorry for taking a while for me to write a review of this team. Anyway...
I am still skeptical of a SR suicide Chomp set with a Defog Latios. From what I can see on paper, it would have been a waste to just set up rocks, die and then have Latios used Defog afterwards later in the match (unless the opponent has set up more hazards than you). You can try Flygonial's EV spread but the only difference that I will modify is that if you want to have Rocks up afterwards again if you used Defog, or just want his survival rate to go up, then Leftovers over Rocky Helmet works. Reason being? You are sacrificing most of your health just to get a bit of damage on the opponent with the helmet. Maybe you can go for Dragon Claw as your last move so that you may catch some incoming stuff that can avoid EQ and also because Dragon Tail isn't going to help sometimes because of the minus priority. Rest is also a good option if you want to survive longer, but that would also mean that you will have to have Heal Bell over Thunderbolt, because chances of you going in a combat against Charizard Y is just asking for a death wish. Sure, you might be able to 2HKO Char Y, but then in return, you lose Clefable or something else a bit too fast. You already have other things that can take it on. But those are just my two cents. I might be wrong, though.

Now secondly, Keldeo is a huge threat to your team. If a Scarf set is enough to do damage to your team, a Specs will just walk over most of your team. Your Clefable is going to get 2HKO'd in a switch in, so that is not good. Chances of you getting a successful Calm Mind and then tank the opponent's team is not that high, and physical tanks can come and do a lot of damage to you, too. Your Clefable already has Life Orb, and you'll do a lot of damage to begin with, so you can choose to have Thunderbolt over Calm Mind. Reason? Thunderbolt will still 2HKO Charizard either way, and Moonblast...well, bye, Keldeo. Furthermore, you can at least take some hits before dying. But there is another EV spread that I THINK might work out in your favor...

Clefable @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SpA / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish / Calm Mind

I hope that helps. I'm not the best, so I apologize in advance for that. Anyway, if it works then I am glad. Cheers!
Rocky Helmet is standard on Tank 'Chomp for a reason - 1/6th of the opponent's health is not 'a little', especially not combined with 1/8th of the opponent's health. Does getting 29% chip damage on your target not sound appealing? Tank Garchomp is not a wall, it excels at taking weak hits such as U-turns. Dragon Tail is also standard for its shuffling effect, also very notably its ability to phaze out defensive set-up sweepers such as Mega Sableye, Crocune, and Mega Slowbro, but this team doesn't appear to have too much trouble with them so Dragon Claw definitely is an option.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man cool team u have here, i like so suggest some set changes just because u look a lil bit to weak to spedef Heatran, Char X y Spdef SD Gliscor so i recommend u Bulky Chomp > Offensive Chomp this provide u a phazer with Dragon Tail and status fot those bulky builds and put Ice Beam/ Thunder Wave / Knock Off > Thunderbolt on clef just because Tbolt works only on certains cases. And last u should put Low Kick > Return on Zoroark just to hit Heatran, ferros, bisharps harder. here the sets:
Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Toxic

U have a really sud support mon for ur team, provide u phazer, SR setter, Status even pivot. weaken a lot of the current physical type attackers.

Zoroark (F) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Jolly nature is better for sweeper just because u depends on hit first all the time, zoroark has a really nice speed tier in the OU metagame and with sword dance u can hit very hard.

Clefable (F) @ Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature

IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Ice beam / Knock off/ Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

I mean u still hard after +1 without being modest so u have to conserve the bulk just for set up a lil bit more easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)