Walking on sunshine. UU rmt

I was very happy with my rain dance RMT (which is now buried on around page 3 or so of the ou section) so I chose to build its recipricle, a sunny day team, seeing as how sunny day is practiaclly useless in OU, I found underused to be an appropriate tier.

Changes in green

Team at a glance:

Team building process:

I needed a lead that can take a hit, is fast, and can set up the sun. Uxie was the first thing that came to mind and is working great so far.

Scarfdos worked great on my rain team so I figured scarftres work on a sun team. He can spam, has a good stab move, and descent bulk.

I wanted another special powerhouse. I did some research and found a great combonation, Arcanine and Victreebel. They cover eachothers weaknesses, and victreebel can help arcanine to have crazy high attacking force with flashfire/flamethrower

I needed a physical sweeper because all i had was a hindered uturn on uxie for my phys attacks. So I found a great physical attacker with the sun speed boost, tangrowth. He has great coverage and can set up the sun if need be.

I wanted another heat rock supporter, so I setteled on flareon, with 130 base attack, he can pack a major punch even with minimal investment. And he has descent bulk.

At this point I had way too many fire types and someone suggested I get a rapid spinner. So did. Claydol is a great support pokemon and can take advantage of sunny day/set up sunny day.

Claydol only added to my water weakness. I tested hitmontop for the 6th spot. I can usualy ko flying types that switch in with stone edge. Rapid spin is nice and so is stab close combat to hit a lot for neutral. He did better than claydol so i gave him the spot.

Team details:
Uxie @ Heat Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Spd/4 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Sunny Day
- Solarbeam
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Uxie is a great lead. She is fast, she is bulky, and she is versatile. Her goal is to set up the sun and uturn out to a sweeper. But if I feel I can handle whatever lead they have I abuse the sun I just set up, either by solarspamming or using a boosted hidden power fire
How uxie fairs against the top ten UU leads
Ambipom: take the fake out, set up sun and uturn to a sweeper.
Uxie: Set up sun and uturn to a sweeper, if i get scarfed just switch and use as a late game sweeper
Mespirit:Same as uxie, sun/uturn
Alakazam:Set up sun and switch to a sweeper
Omastar:Set up sun and solarbeam
Kabutops:Set up sun and solarbeam
Moltres:Set up sun and uturn to arcanine to hopefully get a flashfire boost
Hippopotas:Set up sun and solarbeam
Electrode:Set up sun and switch/uturn to a sweeper
Cloyster:Set up sun and solarbeam.

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Solarbeam
- Morning sun
Life orb moltres is a great UU sweeper. He has the same special attack as his electric type cousin, and is almost as fast. He has a solarbeam for milotic/blastoise and other bulky waters that think they can take tres. Fire blast for boosted stab, Air slash for stab against weaker pokes if I dont want to risk missing. Morning sun is for healing off life orb/stealth rock damage if i havent spun them away.

Victreebel (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 122 HP/136 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Solarbeam
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Victreebell is vicious with a speed stat of 420 with the sun out and a base 100 special attack boosted by specs. Solarbeam for obvious stab, same with sludgebomb. Leaf storm if I feel like just hit-and-running. Hidden power ice for other grass pokes that arent affected by sludgebomb.

Arcanine (M) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 236 HP/168 Def/76 Spd/28 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Solarbeam
- Flamethrower
- Sunny Day
Standard bluky arcanine set, with a tweaked moveset. He functions as a sweeper as well as a sun supporter. Hidden power rock for opposing fire/ice types especially moltres who walls my team pretty well.. Flamethrower for stab and is even beastlier if I can switch in on a fire attack aimed at victreebell/tangrowth. Solarbeam for waters that would otherwise put arcanine down (get it? dog reference? aw screw you guys I quit!!) and sunny day for support. I had to add 4 evs to make up for the speed IV drop needed for hidden power rock. 1hp point is not much of a sacrifice.

Tangrowth (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 200 Atk/228 Spd/80 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Ancientpower
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Standard mixed set. It gets great type coverage with power whip, eq, ancientpower, and hp fire. Power whip for the obvious stab as well as ohkoing milotic. Eq for fires and hidden power fire for opposing grass types. I chose ancientpower over rock slide because I love random stat boosts. It can help me sweep even if there is no sun up. Life orb is chosen because I want to hit as hard as possible.

Hitmontop (M) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Def
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Sunny Day
- Stone Edge
I needed a rapid spinner, and the only thing flareon did for me was superpower normal types and use sunny day. This gives my sunny day support, rapid spin support and descent coverage. Close combat for houndoom and rocks. Stone edge to catch those flying types on the switch in. This seems to be working better than Claydol so Hitmontop gets the 6th slot.

Threat list:
Venesaur: Easily kod by fireblast
Milotic: Solarbeam from moltres
Mismagius: Fire blast...
Uxie: More fire blasting. Uxie checks my team pretty well.
Registeel: Flamethrower from arcanine or Fire blast.
Arcanine: HP rock from my arcanine or eq from tangrowth
Moltres: 2hko with my boosted fire blast. Another check to my team
Spiritomb: Doesnt really threaten my team, but can be a pain to take out. Probobly just spam flamethrower with Arcanine
Alakazam: Easily kod by a lot of my team
Rhypherior: Solarbeam. End of story.
Hitmontop: Pretty frail. Air slash from tres
Donphan: Solarbeam, or power whip
Rotom: hmm. Not really sure how to deal with this little bugger. Should be kod pretty easily.
Sceptile: Flamethrower or fire blast. Or HP fire for that matter
Ambipom: Pretty frail, probobly use moltres or tangrowth.
Houndoom: Superpower or earthwquake/hp ground
Clefable: Use tangrowth as Clefable is sort of frail on the physiacl side.
Swellow: Hidden power rock or stone edge
Kabutops: Solarbeam or power whip
Dugtrio: Solarbeam/power whip/hp ice. easily dealt with

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hi,

You seriously need a Rapid Spinner, as neither Moltres, Arcanine or Flareon are going to do much at all with rocks on the field. I see that opposing Fire types will cause you a truckload of problems, as they can use their boosted STAB to take out most of your team, and your own Fire types get worn down by SR. Firstly, I recommend replacing Flareon with Hitmontop, who gives you another physical hard-hitter, and most importantly provides Rapid Spin support:

Hitmontop@Heat Rock/Leftovers
252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
Adamant
- Close Combat
- Sunny Day
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight/Stone Edge

Heat Rock for more turns of sun or lefties for survivability. Foresight for almost guaranteed spin or Stone Edge to catch Flying types on the switch-in. This makes your sweepers' jobs a lot easier. On Moltres, I'd suggest trying out a Life Orb set over your current one, with the moveset Fire Blast/Solarbeam/Morning Sun/Air Slash. This set takes full advantage of the sun, while coming with the priceless ability to switch attacks and wreak havoc with the amazing power of Fire Blast. Tangrowth doesn't really need Sunny Day, as 4 Sunny Day users is a bit of overkill. Try running Rock Slide in that slot, which allows you to deal with Flying types better.

Gl with the team.

You could try replacing Hidden Power Ground on Arcanine with Hidden Power Rock to take down Moltres and other fire types that give your team problems. Similarly, Rock Slide (or AncientPower) can be placed on Tangrowth over Earthquake to hit both Fire and Flying types.

Other than that I would really suggest a Rapid Spinner. Stealth Rock can really cause problems for you. Maybe replacing Flareon with Claydol. It seems like it is the one doing the least for you.

Claydol @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 114 SpAtk
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball

Standard utility claydol helps you in many ways. It spins away rocks and spikes that cause you lots of problems and sets up your own Rocks. It can easily switch in on ground and electric moves aimed at Arcanine and Moltres (so can your tangrowth but it doesn't hurt to have several options) Earth Power is the suggested STAB move of choice while Shadow Ball deals with Ghosts attempting to come in and block your spin.

I hope this helps, good luck!

Thanks a lot for the Rates, I tried blastoise as a spinner but he didnt do very well . And should I do a timid moltres set or stick with modest? flareon is going for hitmontop/claydol btw. I will test both. And yeah. Rock sounds good, as I have plenty of things to deal with steels.

I've used a successful Sunny Day team before(I've played Sunny Day in OU and UU) and I hope I can help out with some suggestions. Your team is almost exactly like mine(in terms of Pokemon) apart from Moltres so you could almost say I've used this team(I used Cresselia, then Regirock)

If you want to see my team, I built it ages ago and made an RMT as well...

I see an awful lack of Stealth Rock. I suggest you replace Solarbeam and HP Fire on Uxie with Stealth Rock and Yawn. Uxie is a mainly defensive Pokemon, and it's only wasting turns of sun to attack with her. Yawn is incredibly useful.

I suggest replacing Victreebel with Exeggutor, it has higher Special Attack(higher by 20 points, which makes qutie a difference) as well as better bulk. Victreebel's 80/65/60 compared to Exeggutor's 95/85/65. Victreebel has higher speed, but in the sun, there really aren't threats that will be outspeeding Exeggutor anyway. I used to have a Victreebel but I found it didn't have enough power and bulk.

If you really want to keep Victreebel, use Weather Ball instead of HP Ice. He got Weather Ball in HGSS and it's a perfect move for weather teams. It's a 100 base power fire move in the sun, and still hits the grass types you mentioned HP Ice covers. Still, I really suggest Exeggutor.

The distinguishing feature between Victreebel and Exeggutor (in terms of sweeping, besides speed) is the fact that Victreebel can use Growth and become more powerful than Exeggutor.

Growth/Solarbeam/Weather Ball/HP Rock or Sludge Bomb are recommended. Weather Ball decimates anything that Sludge Bomb would anyway (ie. other grass-types) while it is only resisted by opposing poison-types, steel-types, and ground- or rock-types that Weather Ball and Solarbeam will handle, respectively.

The tricky part is getting a chance to boost.

Hi, I like this team, having used a Sunny Day one in UU for some time now. Props on the Victreebel especially. Anyway, onto the rate.

Seeing as four of your pokes have Solarbeam, I would possibly remove it and possibly HP Fire on Uxie for moves giving your team coverage over types that can potentially wall your other team members - as insurance in case some of them fall. Also, if Sun goes down and you desperately need a Grass move, only the sluggish Victreebel and Tangrowth can provide one, so Grass Knot is a possibility and deals with Water leads just as well as Solarbeam. For one thing, you could pack a Shadow Ball to deal with the Rotom you were unsure about, and Psychic for STAB, which has the added bonus of hitting the ever common Venusuar for much more damage than HP Fire, even if the latter is Sun boosted.

Moltres is pretty sound, only you could consider HP Rock here as on Arcanine to hit Altaria and Fire types for more than Air Slash would do. Bear in mind that it only has 20 Base Power over Fire Blast in the Sun against Altaria, however, but against other Moltres and Flash Fire users it's your best option by far. Roost you could consider over Morning Sun for the PP, removal of Electric weakness, etc, but I'd probably stick with MS.

I was surprised to see your Victreebel as a Choice user, and despite its inferior speed I do believe that Eggy would be a better choice for this role. Personally I generally don't think Choice users are too great on a Sun team, as they waste turns of Sun if forced out and lose the momentum that they sorely need to keep. I would advise swapping to Life Orb and using Weather Ball if you plan on staying fully special, at least. I would also strongly recommend Sleep Powder. Being able to cripple the enemy's switch-in to a powerful Grass Sweeper helps both it and Tangrowth. Finally, think about using Sucker Punch. Psychic types love to try and revenge this guy, thinking their strong SpDefs will save them from a leafy death, and Sucker Punch can smack them about nicely, as well as providing utility outside Sun.

A special Arcanine will be a very nasty surprise for your opponent, and I like the set. The only consideration I'd recommend is Extremespeed somewhere. Being able to threaten to pick something off, forcing it out and letting you set up sun, is useful. Where you put it is a huge dilemma, however, as it will leave you walled by something, so it's up to you.

Your Tangrowth set again is very interesting, and I may even experiment with it for myself in the future. Rock Slide's superior PP is the only thing I may consider changing on him in this case.

Foregoing Foresight on Hitmon is unfortunate, but necessary for it to run Sunny Day. This is one reason why I would recommend Shadow Ball on Uxie, to nail Ghosts that may switch into it. No changes for the actual set here though.

Sorry about the wall, but hope I've given you some food for thought at least, and good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)