WallTeam

Hi Smogon, this is my first RMT. Well, I honestly don't know how to do this quite well, but I'll try to explain my team. I thought about doing an explanation of my team process and what changes I've made through my experiences, but I guess that's unnecessary.
P.s.: By the way, I'm not from a country that has english as it's main language, so I would like to say sorry already if I commit any big grammar mistakes.

Note: I've made several changes with the ideas of people from the forum and I decided to kick some of my old Pokémon and add some other. I

Altaria
Ability: Cloud Nine
Nature: Calm
Item: Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 SpDef/ 4 Def
Cotton Guard
Dragon Pulse
Roost
Heal Bell
While most people agree here that Altaria isn't the greatest choice in the Metagame, I like it so much that I felt to drop it out, so I decided to keep it with a better moveset (I think at least that it will work better this way).
I decided to invest it's EV's to be an Special Wall. Cotton Guard should be to compensate the lack in it's Def. It also takes the whole of Cleric from Meganium, since I dropped Meganium :'(. Anyway, I didn't know it could use Heal Bell either, so I replaced Refresh with it. I also know that Cloud Nine isn't the best Ability considering this Metagame, but I wouldn't use Natural Cure at all, so I guess it fits better, even if it's going to be used rarely. I gave it Dragon Pulse because I think that Special Walls are rarer then Physical Walls.
Armaldo
Ability: Battle Armor
Nature: Adamant
Item: Lum Berry
EV's: 252 HP/ 128 Atk/ 128 Def
Sword's Dance
Rapid Spin
X-Scissor
Rock Blast
This set was made by WhiteDMist, I only changed Stone Edge for Rock Blast because of Accuracy issues and more reliability in PP. Don't know if that's a good trade, but I hope it is better. I also changed the EV distribution, I didn't want to waste it's good Def.
Misdreavus
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Bold
Item: Eviolite
EV's: 252 HP/ 232 Def/ 24 Spd
Taunt
Hex
Confuse Ray
Pain Split
Well, that's basically WhiteDMist Misdreavus, I only changed Shadow Ball to Hex that would be good considering that I'm using status afflictions a lot and Confuse Ray for extra annoyance. It's main use is actually SpinBlocking, which is more than necessary in a Stall team.
Serperior
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Jolly
Item: Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP/ 111 Def/ 111 SpDef/ 34 Spe
Taunt
Leech Seed
Coil
Leaf Blade
I honestly thought that Meganium could play better in my team as the Grass Pokémon because of it's better defenses, but I realised that Serperior has access to Taunt and could play better in a Stall team, since it could force Shuffling. Coil is here in case I can predict a switch, and Leaf Blade is the best option to a Grass physical STAB. I had thought of putting Dragon Tail to force switches, but I think that this is a better strategy. In case I'm wrong, please, tell me.
Garbodor
Ability: Stench (Aftermath is unreleased, right?)
Item: BlackSludge
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpDef
Spikes
Toxic Spikes
Clear Smog
Acid Spray
Althought I can't stand Garbodor's ugly look, I can't deny it's use. I tried to make a mix with Amarillo's and Explorer's set. Clear Smog has an important role as a Hazer and I can see the potential of Acid Spray for forcing switches of the enemy. It's a shame thought it can't make good use of it's decent Atk in this set. :/
Lickitung
Ability: Own Tempo
Nature: Careful
Item: Eviolite
EV's: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 128 SpDef
Wish
Protect
Dragon Tail
Heal Bell
Eviolite Lickitung is bulkier than Lickilicky, and that's the reason I use it. He plays the part of my second Cleric, in case Altaria goes down, now that I dropped Meganium (I can't stress how bad I feel for doing this, but I can't see a place for Meganium in this team anymore D:). Again, this set was made by WhiteDMist, thanks for the tips. :) I guess it works just fine as a Cleric, and Dragon Tail helps the passive damage.

So, that's it. I really would like some hints and I would be glad in case people here could help ;)

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You may want to give a more detailed explanation for the roles your Pokemon play, the reason for choosing the specific Pokemon over another similar Pokemon, what the purpose of the team is, and what problems you have found with it. Otherwise it looks like you haven't tested this team out enough, since otherwise you would be able to work out a few kinks on your own.

That being said, this team uses quite a few mixed walls that are pretty inferior to more specialized walls. You have no hazards other than Stealth Rock to inflict residual damage. Finally, a lot of your Pokemon's EVs are very unappealing. It usually is better to max HP before investing in the defenses.

Oh, ok, sure. I honestly thought that mixed walls were better, but I will try to invest more in specialized. Otherwise, I honestly didn't find any place in the movesets of my Pokémons to put Spikes. Actually, none of them can put Spikes or Toxic Spikes, so I can only put more hazards if I change one of them. I tested Lunatone a bit more, and I replaced it with Mr. Mime. While the Cosmic Power boost was surely appreciated, it didn't have the resistance enough to setup it for my other characters :/. Also, Mr. Mime has acess to Soundproof, so it is immune to Roar and having acess to Taunt avoids users of Hazards in early game. I want to play more Special inclined, but everyone seems to play with Physical attacks, so I find it unsafe :/. I will try to give my characters more specialized stats. Thanks for the hints :)

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
OK, I'll bite.

First, I advise that you listen to White's advise-the really important part you missed was about your EVs. Even if you are making them a mixed wall, it is almost always (bar rare situations, where the Pokemon in question has really really high HP like Chansey, and not enough defenses) to maximize your HP first, then utilize the remaining 256 EVs in either or both defense however you see fit. You could split your EVs to both defenses, but just remember that 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD is better than 4 HP/ 252 Def/ 252 SpDef on your Lickitung, for example. This isn't something arguable: it's unobjectionable truth. Something like 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef with Careful nature would be even better, of course, but that's subjective I guess...

Also, don't take this the wrong way, but it'd be so much better if you just went to B101 for some basic help getting to know the metagame and how stall really works. Everyone who signed up there to tutor NU are really nice people willing to help you. Or if you like, you can go bother me or people at the Neverused forum and ask questions, but the tutoring path would probably work better. For example, you don't have Spikes-you need them for a defensive team like this. You aren't doing damage with just attacks, so you need as much on-the-side damage as you can get. Try this over your Cosmic Power passer, which isn't really doing anything:

Garbodor@Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
-Spikes
-Toxic Spikes
-Clear Smog
-Rock Blast

Bulky steels such as Probopass and Bastiodon are trouble for this team, since your only solid counter to steels is Torkoal, and Torkoal has even more trouble against Steels that are neutral to Fire-types. Ampharos does semi-well denting Steels with Thunderbolt, but Ampharos can be Toxic-stalled if you don't switch out to one of your clerics.

Amarillo gives an interesting Lunatone replacement with Garbodor, but I use a different set that you may also like:

Garbodor (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Stench
EVs: (I need to refer back to the EVs on Pokemon Showdown once it's fixed, will fill this in later, but it did have 252 Speed.)
Nature: Timid
-Toxic Spikes/Spikes
-Acid Spray
-Venoshock/Sludge Bomb
-Focus Blast

I actually use this on a balance team on PS and it works very well, though you may wish to tweak some things to make it fit stall better. I remember the BW Battle Subway's boss's Garbodor used Focus Blast; it seemed like a very interesting option, so I decided to try it. Focus Blast is great (aside from the 70% accuracy) to take down steels. Acid Spray works beautifully with Focus Blast and can threaten many Pokemon after a few shots of Acid Spray. Use whichever hazard you like better, though on this team I used Toxic Spikes

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well since other people have already done so, I guess I'll give you a full rate this time. Now I don't know if you know this, but the main goal of a Stall team is to beat the opponent using mostly PASSIVE damage. You seem to want to make your team bulky and still have max offense, which ends up making your team rather unfocused. If you just want bulky attackers, there are far better ones in the tier. I'm going to assume that you want Stall, so I'll try and not change your team too much. However, there are some things that you should weed out.

Ditching Lunatone/Mr. Mine for Garbodor like Amarillo and Explorer mentioned would be wise. Stick with the standard set, since you can always just give Ampharos Focus Blast over Signal Beam (why do you even have that move? It barely dents Amoonguss, which is currently one of the most common Grass-types in NU).

As for a spinner, Torkoal isn't exactly the best out there, since Golurk murders it and SubDisable Haunter laughs at it. Armaldo, or even Wartortle are better Spinners since they can somewhat handle Golurk. Altaria isn't really that great in this metagame since the NFE Dragons are either stronger (Fraxure, Zweilous) or bulkier (Marvel Scale Dragonair). You'd be better off replacing it with a bulky Ghost type like Misdreavus to protect your hazards.

Meganium is highly inferior in every way to Amoonguss, Tangela, even Serperior. Amoonguss would be a great asset to your team. It can: actually tank multiple attacks, use Spore, have better offensive coverage, possesses Regenerator, absorb Toxic Spikes, and even use Rocky helmet to add to the residual damage.

Ampharos doesn't really have a purpose in this team. You have it try to Toxic Stall, which it isn't that effective at doing. I've already changes a large portion of your team, so I won't ask to to change it to a different Pokemon. But I will still recommend a different set altogether to make some better use of it. Same with Lickitung.

Here are the sets:

Armaldo @ Lum Berry (trust me, you don't want to have to switch out to remove status)
Ability: Battle Armor
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 128 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 124 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Rapid Spin
-X-Scissor
-Aqua Tail/Stone Edge

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EV's: 252 HP/ 232 Def/ 24 Spe
-Will-O-Wisp
-Shadow Ball
-Taunt
-Pain Split/Rest (make use of your clerics)

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Ev's: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SDef
-Spore
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb/Clear Smog
-Hidden Power Ice/Clear Smog

Ampharos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EV's: 252 HP/ 4 SAtk/ 252 SDef
-Thunderbolt
-Heal Bell
-Toxic
-Focus Blast

Lickitung @ Eviolite
Ability: Own Tempo
Nature: Careful
EV's: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SDef
-Wish
-Protect
-Dragon Tail
-Heal Bell
(seriously, Body Slam can't even break most Substitutes)

One last thing: It would be nice if you updated the OP with your changes so that raters know exactly what changes you've made rather than having to search for any possible changes. Also, you really should try and make the changes I mentioned earlier, about improving your descriptions. I've seen RMTs with slightly more/slightly less descriptions get locked :/

Oh, ok, thanks everyone. I'm going to take Amarillo's advise and search for that tutorial, I didn't know of it's existence. And I didn't get any of the comments in the wrong way, I understand that my team is lacking in my any areas and I really needed some help to develop it better. I'm going to change the OP with the changes I've made and put some better descriptions latter. :)
I will just check that B101 to see what I should change and take in consideration what all of you said, then I put what I changed and how it worked out. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)