-War Story!- 'Do Not Worry, Just Believe'

Just a few hours ago I got a hankerin' for a pokemon battle after I watched episode 40 of D/P (which also happens to be the first episode of pokemon I've watched in ages) where good old Cynthia destroys Paul with just Garchomp, so I crossed my fingers that someone would be up and ready to battle me. Turns out there was.

My (Rama's) Team:

Lohengrin,
Reginleif, Bosworth, Ms. Magma, Big Boss, and finally Durandal

If I may say so myself, my pokemon have great names. Even so, I'm going to refrain from using them in the story for the sake of readability and clarity.

My opponent's (John's) team:

6v6
Uber clause
Sleep clause
Species clause
OHKO/Evasion Clause

Well, with the formalities out of the way, here we go!

Rama sent out Swampert!
John sent out Gyarados!
Gyarados' intimidate lowered Swampert's attack!

Alright, Gyarados has nothing that can really scratch Swampert, even after a DD. My Swampert lacks stone edge, but I think that might scare him so I expect him to DD with a small chance of him switching. I decide to go ahead and use my chance to throw up stealth rocks.

Gyarados used Taunt! Swampert fell for the taunt!
Swampert can't use Stealth Rocks because of the taunt!

...taunt. That was so obvious. At this point I'm face palming at how bad a move that just was. Still, I pick myself back up and I know for certain he's going to DD on the switch, but what he doesn't know is that I'm switching in my secret weapon.

Rama withdrew Swampert!
Rama sent out Sceptile!
Gyarados used Dragon Dance!
Gyarados' attack and speed rose!

Ho ho ho, I'm pretty confident but there's a little worry in the back of my mind that he's not running the common bulky EV spread and has more speed than the norm.

Sceptile used Hidden Power!
It's super effective! (100% damage!)
Gyarados fainted!

Phew, Sceptile's insane speed and a nice hidden power electric up the ass just saved me.

6-5
John sent out Breloom!

Right now I realize that my team can absorb every status BUT sleep. This is a tough call, because right now he's gonna get the equivalent of a KO on me.

Sceptile used Hidden Power!
It's not very effective (20% damage)
Breloom used Spore!
Sceptile fell asleep

Tch. I decided Sceptile had already done his job, and while it was pretty tough to just sleep him like that (on frail Sceptile he's basically dead) in retrospect I still think it was the right choice.

Rama withdrew Sceptile!
Rama sent out Salamence!
Salamence's intimidate lowered Breloom's attack
Breloom used Substitute! Breloom made a substitute
Breloom is poisoned by its toxic orb!

Alright, as I expected. I need to break that sub now, and his focus punch shouldn't do too much damage with intimidate and nve.

Breloom is focusing its power!
Salamence used Dragon Claw!
The substitute took damage for Breloom! The substitute faded
Breloom used Focus Punch!
It's not very effective. (30% damage)

Since Salamence will just wreck him, I figure he's going to switch to his physical wall. For some reason though I get the feeling he might stay and try to focus punch/sub me if I switch myself, so I stay in and dragon claw just to be safe.

John withdrew Breloom!
John sent out Donphan!
Salamence used Dragon Claw! (15% damage)

Tch, I predicted poorly. I'm almost certain he's going to ice shard me or predict the switch and stealth rock, so I switch in my 4x ice resist and special attacker extraordinaire....

Rama withdrew Salamence!
Rama sent out Heatran!
Donphan used Knock-off!
It's not very effective (Worthless% damage)
Heatran's choice specs were knocked off!

Holy jesus, knock off? People run that on Donphan? Well, either way I'm glad I switched because while losing choice specs hurts, my Salamence's item is far, far more important to me. (Hint: You'll find out what it is later in the story, it comes in handy). Well, I know he's going to switch out and I figure he might try to bring in a dragon on the resist, so I consider dragon pulse, and I also consider taking the chance to bring in Metagross.

John withdrew Donphan!
John sent out Blissey!
Heatran used ERUPTION BURNING FINGERRRR-- durrr, I mean Overheat. (70% damage) Critical hit!
Heatran's special attack was sharply lowered!

When he sends out Blissey I facepalm again because I've outpredicted myself and once again the obvious has happened, but when the health bar keeps going.. and going.. and going.. I shit myself because I know I've criticalled. This puts me in a great position. I'm not sure if he's gonna switch out or try to softboiled, but either way I decide to bring in the King of Awesome.

Rama withdrew Heatran!
Rama sent out Metagross!
John withdrew Blissey!
John sent out Donphan!

Hmm, so he 'outpredicted' me and sent in his physical wall. This actually puts me in a good position, and as long as I don't have bad luck this should go well.. I know earthquake will put a giant dent in Metagross but I also know Meteor Mash (if it hits) will smash Donphan. It will also open up my three other physical attackers.

Metagross used Meteor Mash! (75% damage)
Donphan used Earthquake!
It's super effective! (70% damage)

Phew, it hit and he didn't get a critical h4x. Alright, he's probably going to let Donphan die here. If this is his best physical wall, then he's not gonna want anything taking a Meteor Mash to the face on the switch.

Metagross used Meteor Mash! (25% damage)
Donphan fainted!

6-4
John sent out Porygon-z!

Curses, Porygon-z, my arch nemesis. At this point I'm wishing that I had hammer arm on my Swampert. My gut reaction is to get Big Boss the hell out of there, he's hurt but he still has the important job of nuking Blissey with a 405 attack CB'd explosion. Then I get the BRIGHT IDEA, judging by his prediction skills in the match so far, that he might try to predict my switch and Nasty Plot, which I DON'T want.

Porygon-z used Thunderbolt! (30% damage)
Metagross fainted!

Weeeeeeeeellll, that backfired. Looking at my team I've only got one pokemon that has a chance at one shotting this guy, and with his Blissey in critical condition I know he won't want to send her out.

5-4
Rama sent out Heatran!

Porygon-z used Thunderbolt! (25% damage!)
Heatran is paralyzed! It may not be able to move!
-Interjection: At this point I'm a little annoyed at this luck, Heatran's nerfed speed and possible paralysis means he's no longer as useful to me. At this point I'm just praying that I'm not fully paraylzed and my Overheat hits (fuck you 90%)-
Heatran used Overheat! (100% damage!)
Porygon-z fainted!

As I watched the health bar drain I crossed my fingers that she could still pull off the OHKO without her specs... thankfully, she did.

5-3
John sent out Blissey!

Urgh, I was expecting this. Well, if Bliss has softboiled he's got the chance now.

Rama withdrew Heatran!
Rama sent out Swampert!
Blissey used Softboiled! It recovered HP! (90% health)

Right now I don't know his last pogey, so I decide to just use the opportunity to stealth rock, despite it being a bit late to do so.

John withdrew Blissey!
John sent out Breloom!
Swampert used Stealth Rocks!
Pointed stones float around your opponent's side of the field

Hmm.. Breloom. I don't want him getting a sub on me.

Breloom used Substitute! It made a substitute
Swampert used Avalanche! The substitute took damage for Breloom
The substitute faded!

Without thinking much, I decide he's going to sub again, which I don't want, instead of switching I decide to just roar it away and maybe scout his last pokemon. This is probably the worst move I make the entire match...

Breloom used Seed Bomb! -Interjection: At this point I scream out an expletive because I, once again, missed the totally obvious prediction. Jesus Christ I'm a noob~-
It's super effective! (99% damage!)
Swampert used Roar!
The foe's Metagross was dragged out!

Wow.. just wow. I survived... barely. Swampert is one sturdy bastard, I'll give him that. And...I did manage to scout his last pokemon. Ugh. I decide Swampert is pretty much done for, and I just want to get in as much damage on this beast as I can.

Metagross used Agility! Metagross' speed was sharply raised! -Holy jesus, this thing is fast. An agiligross... just what I needed. At least my earthquake will slam it-
Swampert used Earthquake!
It's super effective! (60% damage!)

Metagross used Earthquake! (Finish him! FATALITY% damage)
Swampert fainted!

4-3 (The score is 4-3, but with sleeping Sceptile it's pretty much tied at 3-3)
Rama sent out Salamence!

At this point I'm having flashbacks to Sceptile vs. Gyarados at the beginning of the match. Either you've decided that I've given in to be swept and are leaving the theater, or you remember that Salamence has a mystery item and have probably guessed it. That's right gents, I run a scarfmence. This next part is pretty intense; Even with scarf its possible I won't outrun his Gross, and if I don't its all over. I'm quite nervous as I watch with peeled eyes to see which pokemon's name will come up with the first move.

Salamence used Earthquake!
It's super effective! (54% damage!)
Metagross fainted!

That's the second time in the match I've surprised my opponent and avoided a sweep with the blinding speed of my pokemon. I'm pretty pleased at this point. He's only got Bliss and Breloom left, but with Sceptile sleeping, Heatran paralyzed, and my two healthy pokemon ripe for ice beam rape, I'm in a pretty tight position but I think I can manage it if I play it right.

4-2
John sent out Blissey!

Hmm.. Blissey. This thing is probably packing ice beam. I'm just going to have to slam it as hard as I can and hope Garchomp (<3) can finish the bitch off.

Salamence used Earthquake! (50% damage)
Blissey used COUNTER (70% damage)
Salamence fainted!

HOLY SHIT. Counter?! Did Blissey just kill me with COUNTER? This is great! This is perfect! If Blissey had to use counter to kill Salamence, that means it's not running ice beam.. right? RIGHT?! I'm a little high strung here because Salamence did less damage than I would have hoped, and with leftovers I'm not entirely sure I will be able to pull the KO. But if Blissey doesn't have ice beam then I'm good to go!

3-2
Rama sent out Garchomp!
(Barooooo!)

Garchomp used Swords Dance! Garchomp's Attack was sharply raised!
Blissey used Soft Boiled! Blissey restored its health. (100% HP)

Ho ho ho, it looks like Blissey ISN'T packing ice beam. Well, I don't want to barely miss the KO and get countered to hell and back so I'll just get another swords dance under my belt and finish him off!

Garchomp used Swords Dance! Garchomp's Attack was sharply raised!
Blissey used Ice Beam!

-At this point my eyes bug out and I throw my hands up in exasperation. What the hell? Why didn't he ice beam Salamence? Damnit! As I watch Garchomp's health drain.. I realize that his Blissey was pretty sturdy, and probably doesn't have the EVs to KO trusty ol' Chomp. I cross my fingers and sure enough...-
It's super effective! (83% damage!)
-WHOOHOO! I survived! And with enough life for two attacks, even with life orb! The second attack will kill me, but who cares? He only has two pokemon left, two is all I need. I've got the game in the bag!-
Garchomp was frozen solid!

........oh wow, that's... well, for lack of a better word: Fuck. Some people might have just run away at this point, since Blissey can wall and destroy my 3 remaining pokemon, but I smash the Earthquake button anyway with indignance. I had a sudden surge of confidence that even now I can't explain, but...

Garchomp thawed out!
Garchomp used Earthquake! (100% damage!)
Blissey fainted!

YES! Oh god, yes! Those were a pretty damn crazy couple of turns. Oh man, at this point, I feel like anything might happen but I'm pretty optimistic about my victory. Still, I'm actually a little worried that that 0.4% chance will come through my dragon claw on Breloom will miss.

3-1
John sent out Breloom!

Garchomp, beaten, frozen, then thawed, and without even enough life left in him to survive his next life orbed attack, nevertheless stands ready to deliver the magnificent finishing blow. Even though my warrior was hanging on with a shred of life, facing down the swift mighty +4 Garchomp with a Breloom must have made John feel a bit silly. 10% is a lot greater of a chance than 0.4%, and so I suppose he just didn't have the hope that I had earlier.

John fled!

Phew. What a match. It ended 3-1 but it was so much closer than that. I never actually told my opponent GG so I'll do it now: gg.

Props:
-Sceptile was faster than a Gyarados with a DD.
-Heatran is a powerhouse even without specs.
-Scarfed Salamence was faster than a Metagross with an Agility.
-my beloved Durandal carried the day on his shoulders
-I won!!!11

Slops:
-I made some pretty embarassing mispredictions
-My opponent got haxed with CH on his Blissey, and again when I thawed (although the freeze was h4x in the first place)
-Both of our teams are pretty standard-ish. Between the two of us Salamence, Garchomp, Blissey, Gyarados, Swampert, and Metagross were present.
-Big Boss didn't get much action, but he did take down Donphan quite nicely. Oh wait that's a prop. Heh.

I hadn't taken any notes, but it was just so intense and so incredibly close that I felt I was obligated to write this up. My memory is fairly good, so I know the turns themselves are 100% accurate, and that the damage percentages are rough, but also accurate. Also because I typed this up by hand, my apologies if some of the in-game text is a bit off, I actually had to look at some other War Stories to remember the syntax that Pokemon turn-text is written in (I was just praising my memory, but its terrible for those kinds of details).

Let me also add my apologies if this is too long winded or boring. Unlike others I don't want to particularly advertise that this is my first War Story, but it is so any and all constructive criticism is welcome. I have a bad habit of dragging on, and while the match was exciting for me, I'm biased because I fought in it. I tried my best to convey my thoughts and feelings while making it as enjoyable as possible, without typing too much (I hope).

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Still, I'm actually a little worried that that 0.4% chance will come through my dragon claw on Breloom will miss.
You're behind the times! 99.6% accuracy exists ONLY in RBY, and that was because some programmer screwed up one number.

It looks like you had a great match! I thought the commentary was actually pretty good, it made the warstory less of a log with comments, plus it had a few nice gems in it. "For lack of a better word... Fuck!" made me smile as I imagined someone saying that aloud.

Simply fantastic. All in all, a great match, and I LURV your nicknames <3.

I recommend Cortana as a name for Heatran though, and maybe Joyeuse for Metagross (though Big Boss = yaay.), just to keep up the sword theme that I get from Durandal and Lohengrin.

Awesome battle. It's nice to see that warstories are getting far better. I don't understand why fire blast/flamethrower barely ever burn and I have never seen thunder/bolt EVER paralyze, but ice beam freezes on every other turn in my battles.
I love the names!

lol, your Garchomp is a beast! Durandal is Eliwood's sword in FE, right? It's been so long since I played last...

I'm thinking about turning my Sash-Mence into a Scarf-Mence now. That was awesome with Metagross.

I really liked the Garchomp vs. Blissey part.
You had the advantage, and one moment later, it looked like your opponent was going to win. Then you survived the ice beam, and got the advantage again, just to lose it to your opponent because of freeze hax.
Such things make it really dramatic and very interesting to read.

I thought this was a great war story, but I also think you took some ridiculous and unnecessary risks here. Garchomp OHKOs max HP/max Def Blissey all the time with Swords Danced, Life Orbed Earthquake:

718 attack vs 130 defense, 100 power(* 1.5 * 1.3), 714 max HP: 107.84% - 126.89%

(assuming Jolly or at least not a +Atk natured Garchomp with max Attack) so there was no need to Swords Dance again and risk an OHKO from Ice Beam, a CH or a freeze.

I understood you wanted to get up Stealth Rock for perfectionist's sake, but trying to Avalanche a Pokemon that always seems to carry Seed Bomb with Swampert was just too much of a risk when you've got Salamence in the wings.

What an awesome warstory. Despite both your teams just being standard OUs, you turned this into an exciting read and really had some tight moments there, I congratulate you.

Also, since Fire Emblem is my favourite series ever, <3 at your Sceptile and Garchomp's nicknames. Shame they weren't from better FEs (Tyrfing from FE 4 ftmfw), but still, awesome!

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Great warstory. An unnatural amount of the commentary seemed to be lulling the reader into false, though natural, assumptions, only for something completely different and unexpected to happen. I'm not sure if it was done purposefully, or that you just have a lot of bad luck in predictions, but I felt that those little twists were what made the story much more enjoyable.

Little nitpick:
Blissey used Ice Beam!
-At this point my eyes bug out and I throw my hands up in exasperation. What the hell? Why didn't he ice beam Salamence? Damnit! As I watch Garchomp's health drain.. I realize that his Blissey was pretty sturdy, and probably doesn't have the EVs to KO trusty ol' Chomp. I cross my fingers and sure enough...-
The interjections, like the one above, looks somewhat sloppy. The hyphens just look awkward, especially the one in front of the ellipsis. It might look better like this, despite it lengthening the post:
Blissey used Ice Beam!

At this point my eyes bug out and I throw my hands up in exasperation. What the hell? Why didn't he ice beam Salamence? Damnit! As I watch Garchomp's health drain.. I realize that his Blissey was pretty sturdy, and probably doesn't have the EVs to KO trusty ol' Chomp. I cross my fingers and sure enough...

Just my opinion, though. It might just be a preference of taste. Ignoring that, the warstory was excellent.

One of the better war stories I've seen and read here so far. Good to see ScarfMence as I haven't seen one and I'd like to see how it would fare in a battle.

The fact that you outpredicted yourself almost every turn yet still managed to win, along with the commentary makes this an excellent read. Garchomp getting frozen was definitely a dramatic moment. Archive worthy imo.

It was a good read, but I felt the only reason you won was because of luck. You made some terrible predictions and completely fell into multiple traps (Blissey didn't use Ice Beam because it didn't have to), and that freeze hax should've screwed you over. But then that's just my opinion.

Garchomp used Swords Dance.
Garchomp's attack was sharply raised.
Blissey used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Garchomp lost 75% of its health.
Garchomp was frozen solid!
---
Twisted Paradox: I hate you

Garchomp is frozen solid!
Blissey used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Garchomp lost 76% of its health.
Twisted Paradox's Garchomp fainted.

But the miracle never came :C

Well, I'm glad to see people have enjoyed the Warstory. That was the entire purpose of writing it up and all. Looks like I'll reply to a couple of you now. To avoid needless clutter I'll just refer to you by name.

OmegaDonut: Wow, really? Thanks for telling me that, now I can launch off 100% accurate attacks with impudence!

phatJacob07: Hey, thanks. I was going for a sword theme originally, but then I didn't want to force it. I do like the name Cortana though, I might consider it.

Andren: Yes, Durandal was Eliwood's sword, but the name comes from an old French legend where its Roland's sword.

Mekkah*: I agree fully. I mentioned in the story how stupid I realized keeping in Swampert was, big misprediction on my part. Also, thanks for the calcs. I was pretty sure that one swords dance would be enough to one shot Bliss (I actually think I've run the calc before myself), but I was a bit nervous and also cocky so I wanted to go for two. I admit that was another mistake. But hey, I never claimed to be a pro. I've refrained from writing a war story up until now just because I'm still in the learning stages, but this match was so intense that I felt I had to share it.

Yoshi King: I love the name Tyrfing but it doesn't particularly fit any of my pokemon. Maybe if I ever use a Weavile or something I'll use it.

Eo Ut Mortus: Hmm, thanks for the tip. With the interjectionary commentary, I was trying to keep the coherence of the turn together. I felt if I spaced it out like that it would break the turn up too much, I only used line spacing for inbetween the turns. I'm not particularly fond of the hyphens either, however, so I might just edit it your way.

Cooper: Yes, I agree that I easily could have lost and I fully acknowledge I made a lot of errors. But close matches make the best stories, right? I was fully aware that he could have countered simply to hide his ice beam, but at that point I was trying to cling to as much hope as I could. All in all, yeah, my opponent was worthy and luck definitely carried the day. The luck factor is honestly one of the reasons I thought the match was so intense.

Anyway, good to see it was well received. Next time I have a match like this I'll make sure to post it up, and hopefully I'll have made less embarassing mistakes in the match. (haha... yeah right.)

Glad you like the name! If you didn't know, Cortana, Durandal, and Joyeuse are supposedly a trifecta of swords, all forged from the same materials, and Joyeuse belonged to Charlemagne.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)