[Warstory] Offense v. Offense-- Life After Garchomp

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fairly standard OU warstory from Suspect Ladder, Standard rules

My Team:

Infernal Glitch’s Team:

Relevant repeated information (sandstorm, leftovers, etc.) will be cut from the log as it is revealed.

choutoshio sent out Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
InfernalGlitch sent out Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ?).
Gyarados's intimidate cut Heatran's attack!

Battle starts, and I am faced with heatran. Despite not having heatran on my own team (I have a great love of infernape’s close combat), I have a lot of respect for it as a powerful sweeper, and see how it could be a powerful lead, especially with dark pulse to nail azelf and gengar. If it were me, that heatran would be skarfed to blast said pokemon to confetti, but we’ll see. I water fall just to see what happens.

InfernalGlitch switched in Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
IF’s Gyarados's intimidate cut CT Gyarados's attack!
CT’s Gyarados used Waterfall.
It's not very effective...
IF’s Gyarados lost 19% of its health.
CT’s Gyarados lost 10% of its health.
IF’s Gyarados's leftovers restored its health a little!
IF’s Gyarados restored 6% of its health.

CT’s Gyarados: 90% -1ATK
IF’s Gyarados: 87%

(My Gyara’s Life Orb damage and his Gyara’s Leftovers will be removed from here)

So Gyarados countering Gyarados, pretty standard. At this point I have to wonder if it has stone edge, since it is coming in to counter me. Still, seeing as it has leftovers I can be 90% sure it is bulkydos, meaning it has nothing on my LO Gyara in terms of speed. I am packing my own stone edge for just such an occasion, and I trust that the RNG favors the offensive.

CT’s Gyarados used Stone Edge.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
IF’s Gyarados lost 87% of its health.
InfernalGlitch's Gyarados fainted.

CT’s Gyarados: 80% -1ATK
IF’s Gyarados: 0%

6-5 ChouToshio

So my Gyara pulls out the win with CH Stone Edge. But hey, that’s what Stone Edge does. I will admit I got lucky, but I will also say that staying on the offensive and using a powerful sweeper like gyara to sweep rather than tank brought me ahead here.

InfernalGlitch switched in Gengar (lvl 100 Gengar ?).

Pretty common revenge killer against Gyarados. I don’t have a really solid gengar counter, but I have several pokemon who can hurt it really badly. I’ll have to beat the powerful sweeper with smart switches.

choutoshio switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
A sandstorm brewed!
Gengar used Thunderbolt.
Tyranitar lost 20% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Gengar is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Gengar lost 6% of its health.
Tyranitar's leftovers restored its health a little!
Tyranitar restored 6% of its health.

Tyaranitar: 86%
Gengar: 94%

(Tyranitar’s leftovers and sandstorm will be removed from here)

I switched in Tyranitar to soak up the thunderbolt. I note that it takes no life orb damage. I immediately think it could be scarf Gengar. I am running a boah-like set with modest tyranitar for extra speed and special attack compared to standard quiet boah. Meaning, I have substitute. I now have the choice between attacking and using substitute. If focus blast is coming my way, substitute is a bad idea, but if gengar’s switching it’s for the best. If hypnosis, the point is moot I guess.

Modest boah, besides substitute, has 5 attacks of which it must choose 3—Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Dark Pulse and Focus Punch. They all have their strengths and weaknesses and I’ve been experimenting with various combinations. For this battle, I was testing out a weird combo of flamethrower/thunderbolt/focus punch. Going no Ice Beam mostly to see if lack of Garchomp freed me from needing it. No Dark Pulse just to try, since everyone assumes Boah has Dark Pulse/Crunch.
I opt to flamethrower here to avoid the risk of taking focus blast without retaliating, and because I don’t want to thunderbolt incase something like Swampert or another ground type comes in, thunderbolt would be pointless and I don’t know his team yet. Also a steal type like Skarmory might switch into the expected dark attack.

InfernalGlitch switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Tyranitar's attack!
Tyranitar used Flamethrower.
Salamence lost 16% of its health.

Tyranitar: 92% -1ATK
Salamence: 78%

Hitting Salamence with Flamethrower is far from optimal, but also not pointless. Tar also managed to get a bit more lefties recovery. The interesting thing is that Gengar switched out, reinforcing my belief that it is scarfgar. Anyway, I don’t like the idea of leaving my no icebeam/stone edge tar in against a possible earthquake or brick break. Time to bail. But to who?

My two main options are Salamence and Gyarados, both to get intimidate but also to resist brick break/earthquake. Salamence has the higher risk, as it is less bulky and is pretty much gone if the opponent tries to be sneaky and just draco meteor. On the other hand it is also the higher reward as if it comes in safely, it’ll be an almost sure kill for me (252 speed + naïve ftw). Also, if I go with Gyara, even if Gyara gets meteor’d/stone edge’d to death (yeah, few run stone edge, but it’s always possible) at least I didn’t reveal another member of my team. With that final thought in mind I decide to go with Gyara.

choutoshio switched in Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
Gyarados's intimidate cut Salamence's attack!
Salamence used Earthquake.
It doesn't affect Gyarados...
The sandstorm rages.

Gyarados: 74%
Salamence: 72% -1ATK

In retrospect I was probably being paranoid though. The odds of Salamence using Earthquake and not Dragon Dance here were very high. Tyranitar is a powerful attacker, and everyone knows it, so no one wants to try and stat up in its face without more information about its set. Even though mence would be relatively safe against my tar, the opponent does not know this and thus is forced to attack. This is another way that powerful offenses (or at least the potential for them) provide good defense.

At 76%, and LOdos rather than Bulkydos, a draco meteor from almost any mixmence would put Gyarados away at this point, but I’m prepared to make that sacrifice. On the off chance that it misses or something I have the option to Stone Edge again.

InfernalGlitch switched in Jirachi (lvl 100 Jirachi).
Gyarados used Stone Edge.
Jirachi lost 20% of its health.
Jirachi's leftovers restored its health a little!
Jirachi restored 6% of its health.

Gyarados: 58%
Jirachi: 86%

(Jirachi’s Leftovers will be removed from here)

Not a whole lot of damage, but I’d say that I’m definitely starting to build some up here. When I play LOdos, I don’t worry too much about losing it, so I decide to stay in and scout what Jirachi can do. Jirachi is a really flexible pokemon after all, so decide to taunt it. LO Gyara runs a lot of speed so my odds of outrunning it are not bad, and as mentioned, I’m not too bothered by the thought of losing Gyara at this point.

Jirachi used Protect.
Jirachi protected itself!
Gyarados used Taunt.
The sandstorm rages.

Gyarados: 52%
Jirachi: 92%

Fair enough. Using my sandstorm against me and picking up some more leftovers. I guess the smart thing here would be waterfall, but I decide to taunt again just to help my next pokemon. Obviously he knows I want to taunt, so he’ll probably just attack. Still, at this point I feel that stopping Jirachi from doing anything except kill Gyarados is more valuable than actually hurting it. I want to keep the momentum by shutting down Jirachi’s ability to change it. Even if another pokemon switches in, it’d also get hit by taunt, ensuring that I prevent the opponent from setting anything up.

Gyarados used Taunt.
Jirachi fell for the taunt!
Jirachi used Psychic.
Gyarados lost 34% of its health.

Gyarados: 12%
Jirachi: 98%

Now I’ll attack. Life Orb + Sand Storm make this Gyarados’ last attack anyway. Gyarados already achieved a lot this battle though. Between just TTar and Gyara I was able to reveal Salamence, Heatran, Gengar, Gyarados and Jirachi. Gyara took out the opposing Gyara with its superior speed, disabled Jirachi with Taunt, and will now get another attack on Jirachi weakening the opponent’s defenses even further. All the switching also racked in some nice sand storm damage. I don’t regret sacrificing Gyarados here.

Gyarados used Waterfall.
Jirachi lost 51% of its health..
Jirachi used U-turn.
Gyarados lost 3% of its health.
choutoshio's Gyarados fainted.

Gyardos: 0%
Jirachi: 47%
Gengar: 88%

5-5 tied

Wow, 51% damage on the switch out. I love you LOdos. The opponent was smart to U-Turn there. We both knew Gyara was a done, but this way he’s got a fresh Gengar in rather than a Taunted Jirachi with only half its health. Nice to expose Gengar to just that little bit more sand buffeting though, and either way, I still get to pick my next switch in.

choutoshio switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
InfernalGlitch switched in Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ?).
Metagross used Bullet Punch.
Heatran lost 8% of its health.
Heatran's leftovers restored its health a little!
Heatran restored 6% of its health.

Metagross: 100%
Heatran: 98%

(Heatran’s leftovers will be removed from here)

So much for my ScarfRan theory. Could have figured seeing as Gengar’s scarfed in all likelihood that Heatran wouldn’t be. Alright, I guess I should have figured on Heatran switching in, but I was half-expecting him to stay in and hypnosis. I am also not about to use CB Earthquake against Gengar this early in the battle. No choice but to switch out here. It’s not fun, but I’ll just have to try and absorb the hit.

choutoshio switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Heatran's attack!
Heatran used Flamethrower.
Salamence lost 31% of its health.
Salamence was burned!

Salamence: 51% burned
Heatran: 100%

Ok, that was not fun. Getting burned by flamethrower of all things is not fun. Guess this makes up for my CH Stone Edge. Also you’ll note how much damage flamethrower did. That’ll teach you to use –spD nature. At least this is a mixed-sweeper though, so I’m not totally crippled. It does take away my plan to brick break it to death. My guess though is he’ll be predicting earthquake or the like, and will be switching out. I am planning to switch out too, specifically to tyranitar to absorb the possible incoming fire attack.

choutoshio switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).

Tyranitar: 98%
Jirachi: 54%

Double switch! I have flamethrower though. Still, I really hate the idea of him switching right back to heatran, and I don’t feel intimidated by Jirachi. I will be using substitute here.

Jirachi used Wish.
Jirachi made a wish!
Tyranitar used Substitute.
Tyranitar lost 25% of its health.
Tyranitar made a substitute!

Tyranitar: 79% + Substitute
Jirachi: 60%

Well I wish I had used flamethrower, but I’m still in a pretty good position here. Now its time to attack.

Jirachi used U-turn.
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Tyranitar!
Tyranitar used Flamethrower.
Heatran's Flash Fire raised its fire power!
The wish came true!

Heatran: 100% + Flash Fire Boost
Tyranitar: 85% + Substitute

I am not quite sure how Sub survived that bug attack, but I am really glad it did. Got to love 101 subs. Heatran does not scare me, and for once I am glad I am packing focus punch. Wish also got wasted on a pokemon that was already near full health. Guess it would have been a good back up had I focus punched instead.

Tyranitar is tightening its focus!
Tyranitar used Focus Punch.
Jirachi lost 36% of its health.

Tyranitar: 91% + Subsitute
Jirachi: 30%

Some hefty damage on Jirachi. I am obviously not going to flamethrower here to avoid getting screwed by Heatran. With murderous intent, I go for the focus punch again.

Tyranitar is tightening its focus!
Jirachi used U-turn.
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Tyranitar!
Tyranitar's substitute faded!
Tyranitar used Focus Punch.
It doesn't affect Gengar...

Tyranitar: 97%
Gengar: 82%

So we’re back at TTar v. Gengar. I probably should have forseen that Gengar switch in. A semi-miss play by me, because I’m still confident here. I know ttar can survive at least 1 non-LO focus blast and can really hurt Gengar. My opponent must realize this too after seeing how bulky my TTar is. He also has not seen thunderbolt yet, so in all odds he must think I have Crunch or Dark Pulse. My guess is hypnosis is coming. I will thunderbolt on the chance it misses, and let my ttar sleep to use up sleep clause otherwise.

Gengar used Focus Blast.
Gengar's attack missed!
Tyranitar used Thunderbolt.
Gengar lost 44% of its health.

Gengar: 32%
TTar: 100%

. . . I am really thankful that missed.

Gengar used Focus Blast.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 88% of its health.
Gengar lost 32% of its health.
InfernalGlitch's Gengar fainted.

Gengar: 0
TTar: 24%

5-4 ChouToshio

Gengar is down and with it, a great risk to my team. At this point I prepare myself to sacrifice TTar.

InfernalGlitch switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?)
Salamence's intimidate cut Tyranitar's attack!
Salamence used Dragon Dance.
Salamence's attack was raised.
Salamence's speed was raised.
Salamence lost 33% of its health.

Salamence: 33% + 1 ATK + 1Speed
Tyranitar: 30%

Ok, so he’s figured out my TTar is set up bate for his mence. Still, all the sandstorm and damage from TTAr’s attacks is adding up, and Salamence can no longer sweep (thanks to metagross’ bullet punch). I just have to continue with my plan to sacrifice ttar. I could switch in my own mence here, but exposing myself to unnecessary sand storm and burn damage is undesirable.

Salamence used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 24% of its health.
choutoshio's Tyranitar fainted.

Salamence: 27% +1 ATK + 1Speed
Tyranitar: 0%

4-4 tie

Time to take that dragon down.

Metagross used Bullet Punch.
Heatran lost 7% of its health.

Metagross: 100%
Heatran: 99%

Yeah, ok that could have been predicted. Still, I was not about to let Salamence have the chance to fake me out and wipe out the whole team. Forcing it out was enough for now. Still, I got to get Metagross out of here.

choutoshio switched in Infernape (lvl 100 Infernape ?).
Infernape lost 33% of its health.

Infernape: 61%
Heatran: 100%

I have the speed and close combat. I’ve noticed that outside his last unknown pokemon, Infernape takes down Heatran, Salamence and Jirachi. I believe I have the definite advantage. For now I won’t over-think the prediction and just let whatever eat the close combat. Even Salamence can’t take it at it’s current low health.

InfernalGlitch switched in Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf).
Infernape used Close Combat.
Azelf lost 42% of its health.
Infernape's defence was lowered.
Infernape's special defence was lowered.
Infernape lost 10% of its health.

Infernape: 45%
Azelf: 52%

I am pretty happy with Close Combat taking out almost half of Azelf’s remaining health. With this, I should be able to take it out with Metagross (or my Sceptile, but I don’t want to switch it straight into Azelf). For now I will switch to metagross for the bullet punch.

Azelf used Thunderbolt.
Metagross lost 41% of its health.
Azelf lost 10% of its health.

Metagross: 59%
Azelf: 36%

(Azelf’s LO damage will be removed from here)

With Azelf at a meager 36%, it’s got no time to think about using flamethrower on me. Still, I am almost completely certain (based on all the battle until now) that the opponent will switch, to either Heatran or Jirachi. He has probably figured out I am Choice Banded. Bullet Punching is the last thing I want to do. I have 2 very viable options though—using Earthquake, or switching to Infernape. I decide to go with the latter as it will give me more flexibility and I’d rather save Metagross and his bullet punch for Mence and Azelf.

Infernape: 39%
Jirachi: 36%

At this rate, Jirachi is also no match for my close combat, so I go ahead and hit it since there’s almost nothing he can do about it.

Jirachi used Protect.

Infernape: 32%
JirachiL 39%

Fair enough.

A critical hit!
Jirachi lost 42% of its health.
InfernalGlitch's Jirachi fainted.
Infernape's defence was lowered.
Infernape's special defence was lowered.

Infernape: 16%
Jirachi: 0%

4-3 ChouToshio

Unnecessary critical hit there. With Jirachi down, things are seriously looking up.

InfernalGlitch switched in Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf).

Ok, bring in Metagross one more time.

Azelf used Flamethrower.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Metagross lost 59% of its health.
choutoshio's Metagross fainted.

Azelf: 19%
Metagross: 0%

3-3 tie

Another unneeded crit, and an unfortunately good prediction (albeit predictable) on Infernal Glitch’s part. Still, even with Metagross gone I still have Sceptile to fill basically the same role (as I was only using Gross for his bullet punch anyway).

choutoshio switched in Sceptile (lvl 100 Sceptile ?).
Sceptile used Focus Blast.
Azelf lost 19% of its health.
InfernalGlitch's Azelf fainted.

Sceptile: 94%
Azelf: 0%

3-2 Choutoshio

I decided to Focus Blast knowing it was my only attack that could 2HKO or better all 3 of his pokemon. Unfortunately it can’t 1HKO a bulky Heatran. When Heatran comes in though, I don’t really have another choice. Bringing in a burnt LO salamence into the sandstorm and incoming fire attack is of course, suicide.

Sceptile used Focus Blast.
It's super effective!
Heatran lost 68% of its health.
It's super effective!
Sceptile lost 94% of its health.
choutoshio's Sceptile fainted.

Sceptile: 0%
Heatran: 38%

2-2

It’s times like these I wish I was using Specs Sceptile instead of Scarf. Ah well, no sense stressing out over it. I bring in Salamence to finish the job with its Brick Break.

choutoshio switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Heatran's attack!
InfernalGlitch switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
IG’s Salamence's intimidate cut Salamence's attack!
CT’s Salamence used Brick Break.
IG’s Salamence lost 6% of its health.

Both Salamence: Seriously hurting from residual damage

Still, this is my win. There is no way DD mence is running the +Speed to tie my naïve mence. He has not realized this until now, and that’s where this match has been won by me.

CT’s Salamence used Draco Meteor.
It's super effective!
IG’s Salamence lost 15% of its health.
InfernalGlitch's Salamence fainted.

Hurray!

Salamence lost 10% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Salamence is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Salamence lost 6% of its health.
Salamence was hurt by its burn!
Salamence lost 7% of its health.
choutoshio's Salamence fainted.

Aw . . .

CT’s Salamence: 0%
IG’s Salamence: 0%

1-1

Both Salamence are gone, and it’s down to the two fire pokemon to finish the match.

Infernape: 16%
Heatran: 38%

Good game InfernalGlitch, this one was really down to the wire.

It's super effective!
Heatran lost 38% of its health.
InfernalGlitch's Heatran fainted.

choutoshio wins!

ChouToshio: Good Job Infernape! We Won!

<Infernape lost 10% from Life Orb, Infernape was buffeted by sand 6%>

Infernape: X____X

ChouToshio: Aha, whoops.

Props:
-LO Gyara, for messing with the opponent’s mind in the early game, scouting, taunting and taking down the enemy Gyara who came in to “counter.”
-TTar for taking abuse from special attacks and setting up the sand storm that helped a lot towards victory.
-My overall offensive strategy keeping the pressure on the whole time. Man do I miss Scarf Garchomp in the wings though.
-A strong opponent who also uses a solid offensive game.

Flops:
-Getting burned by Flamethrower (albeit paid back by a CH stone Edge and a missed Focus Blast but . . .). A match just doesn’t feel quite right without 3-4 Draco Meteor/Brick Break victims.
-Getting too confident behind TTar’s substitute, and letting the opponent regain the momentum with good switches.
-Failing at predicting with Metagross.

Good game InfernalGlitch! This Warstory was straightforward, but intense!

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Nice battle, this is a draw to which makes it even better (Shoddy still says you won, they did not put in a draw function, I think) It was nearly hax free, and had nice predictions (other than the little metagross, R.I.P.)

I really liked your comments you made. Very insightful. While some of your predictions could have been better, I did like your strategies to scout with LOgyara, wear down jirachi, have ttar wall like that. Very fun. 7/10

Good Warstory, except... why would you need Scarf Sceptile in a Deoxys-E-less metagame? I mean hes already fast as hell...

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Meh, when it comes to prediction I always feel it's too easy to say "It could have been better" when looking at a game that already happened. You can't only predict to win each confrontation, you have to estimate risk and be prepared for losses. In metagross' case, I switched him there not only because he could stop azelf, but because he was the most expendable.

edit: @RaikouLover-- Embarassing to say, but I hadn't noticed Deoxys-E was banned at the time. Still, having a poke who can outrun scarf gar is useful to have around IMO.

Good match, due to already having five stars I'm sure this will be moved to the archive.

I find it interesting that this was a Stealth Rock-less, Garchomp-less, Deoxys-S-less, and Blissey-less (not as impressive, I suppose) game.

I do think having a draw as a war story is rather original, and pretty cool, too.

Blissey is banned too? Oh no lol.

I've been reading through most war stories, this one actually kept me interested. Ususally they are either too long, or too boring. Your comments really did help in keeping track of the storry.

9.5/10

I enjoyed this warstory. However, it is disappointing that your opponent outpredicted you, at least in the beginning. Heatrans don't tend to carry Dark Pulse because Fire Blast is marginally more powerful (180 base vs. 160) and has a much better chance of OHKO'ing Azelf (bring down to 1 HP) and can 2HKO Deoxys after it sets up Light Screen easier as well. Plus Heatran has Dragon Pulse, Hp Electric/Ice/Grass, Taunt, Stealth Rock, Earth Power, WoW, and possibly Explosion that can fit into the other 3 slots as a lead Heatran.

Nonetheless it was a simple but elegantly formatted warstory. Great job.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Thanks all

Kingdron-- How is switching in Gyara into another Gyara at the start of the game "Out-Predicting"? At the beginning no one knows that's on the other side so waterfalling off the bat is a good move as it hits most possible switch ins for fair damage. The only pokemon who laughs waterfall off completely is vaporeon, who would still have the risk of facing earthquake in this situation. Stone Edge off the bat is also bad because of its high miss ratio and because it'd scare off all salamence/gyara switch ins for the rest of the game. DD off the bat is even stupider when Starmie/Gengar could be switching in. Thanks for the bit about heat ran, but I wouldn't want to count on Fire Blast as much as possible . . .

@others-- Also correct me if I'm wrong, but in-game the turn would stop after Life Orb damage and before sandstorm, meaning that it is my win. Albeit a close one :P

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not only is it a great warstory, but a quality battle! Awesome job ChouToshio! Weighing the cost of prediction is a great skill that I need more improvement, and usually leads to me in a situation where I could have avoided. Overprediction is not a good thing, especially when we're in a tight spot like what was seen in your battle. You had perfect control over the battle.

EDIT: btw, Dark Pulse does as much damage as Fire Blast, because its base power is 90, and it does not run the risk of missing. But since it doesn't offer much coverage, it's usually not a move of concern. I would've actually switched out Gyarados in case of HP Ele, but that's how you are different from me and let you win this match.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Thanks Pocket. Of course I'd say the odds of me being wrong was always there. It's really impossible to always know I think.

Not only is it a great warstory, but a quality battle! Awesome job ChouToshio! Weighing the cost of prediction is a great skill that I need more improvement, and usually leads to me in a situation where I could have avoided. Overprediction is not a good thing, especially when we're in a tight spot like what was seen in your battle. You had perfect control over the battle.

EDIT: btw, Dark Pulse does as much damage as Fire Blast, because its base power is 90, and it does not run the risk of missing. But since it doesn't offer much coverage, it's usually not a move of concern. I would've actually switched out Gyarados in case of HP Ele, but that's how you are different from me and let you win this match.
Huh? I'm confused. I thought Dark Pulse had 80 power??

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
That was an amazing story. More people need to show us the thought you put into every move like you did. A lot of top tier battlers do this in their battles, but you put it into words in an easy to read format :). Cool Ttar, although IMO DDtar is still my fav :D. It would actually be a draw ingame though, unfortunately. @ Pocket: It is 80 Base Power

that was a great battle. the ending was nice as well. i did notice one typo though. after Azelf got Focus Blasted to death, you were talking about sending in your burnt LO Sceptile. shouldn't that be burnt LO Salamence?

but definitely worth the read :D

Great battle. Thanks for sharing. Your opponent had some good predictions in the battle, but you kept the pressure on offensively and made it work out. A good team and a solid strategy won the match.

Nice battle. I find it a bit odd that you're willing to expend Gyarados yet you won't be a little more daring in your predictions.

Regardless, cool warstory. Good job.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
I guess you could say it's a style of attrition. In other words, in pokemon you can win as long as you have only 1 of your team remaining at the end. If you have a lead, you should want to keep it no matter what.

Taunting nets you a real advantage no matter what against a slow wall as it essentially prevents the opponent from setting up, meaning that Gyarados becomes the only pokemon you can take down and you can't do it without taking at least 1 more waterfall.

Also it creates a set-up opportunity for your next pokemon (sub ttar for instance). It was already 6-5, and I was already looking for a way to easily kill his next pokemon, even at a 1-1 exchange.

that's my opinion anyway.

I also believe in going from more cautious to more daring as the match goes on, as you observe the opponent (both in knowing his pokemon and his thought process).

The analysis of the battle was pretty nice, and the battle itself was pretty intense, nice warstory, i hope you keep posting stories as good as this one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)