Warstory: TheBM vs Dragontamer

Very nice warstory, makes me want to try out a hail team... I recently got a Froslass, Walrein, and Aboamasnow, so time to test them out!

Celebiiiiiiiiiiii

it'll help your team alot!
Well, it seems very useful. Natural Cure absorbs status, and it makes a nice wall with recover. Leech Seed is already covered with Walrein, and it pwns any other staller in general...

But I have 3 fire weaks on my team right now, and Garchomp not only resists rock (which just about everyone on my team is weak to...) but it also resists fire. Fighting is covered by Tentacruel (Poison == nice) and Froslass generally, so Psychic is fine.

Ironically... my team is a bit weavile weak. Resists the hail, outspeeds everyone except my weavile, etc. etc. I know Garchomp doesn't help, but a pursuit weak pokemon who is also weak to every attack weavile can pull off doesn't seem nice.

The only thing to Garchomp as to fear from weavile is... ice punch and ice shard, of course >_>

I've been thinking of some pokemon that can fit your test spot and I thought of.......SHUCKLE!!
Can take a Guts CC from heracross w/ most damage of 50% if using the analysis set. It can absorb status by rest, set up SR and is overall a pretty good wall.

Also what nature and Ev spread is the tentacruel?

For your 6th pokemon...how about a Thick Fat Hariyama? Resists stealth rock, takes half damage from fire and ice, bulky, and can support with Knock Off and Whirlwind. Not to mention with Stone Edge or any of it's fighting moves, scares away Weavile. Doesn't learn Stealth Rock though.
Oh, and nice warstory.

Hmm, Hariyama seems pretty nice and it does cover the weavile weak very well and still functions as a T-Tar counter. Its defenses are a fair bit below Swampert / Garchomp however, and it also doesn't have electric immunity (Tentacruel + Walrein make a slightly electric weak team).

It does seem like a good idea though. What are Hariyama's other options?

Great battle. I'm just wondering about this.

Or he can crit and I'll be screwed. Oh well, two Night Slashes from Weavile will screw him over, one to break the substitute, the other for the kill. And Weavile is neutral to T-Bolt and resistant to Shadow Ball anyway, so I'm good.
Why did you assume that CM Mismagius was carrying TBolt? HP Fighting and Shadow Ball isn't resisted by anything in the game, giving Mismagius superb type coverage as opposed to Shadow Ball/TBolt.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Great battle. I'm just wondering about this.

Why did you assume that CM Mismagius was carrying TBolt? HP Fighting and Shadow Ball isn't resisted by anything in the game, giving Mismagius superb type coverage as opposed to Shadow Ball/TBolt.
Remember, Shadow Ball/HP Fight may be a good combo, but they're still only 2 moves. After that, there's still 2 moves left over. Many Mismagius's have Thunderbolt simply because it's a good special attack and that Mismagius's movepool is very small. While the most common Mismagius out there may be the Calm Mind one with Sub, not all of them are the same, and Thunderbolt is a very common option on Mismagius and should always be predicted when one comes out.

Hi Dragontamer, I`ve seen you in shoddy several times. Once, I fougth you 2 times in a row, yo won both, but i think both were 1-0 (or maybe 2-0), awsome battle.

Im traying to put toghether a Hail team, so your warstories are very useful to me :)

Hm... What about Heatran, DT? You could even Scarf it to outrun certain threats, and your Abomasnow baits out Fire attacks.

Remember, Shadow Ball/HP Fight may be a good combo, but they're still only 2 moves. After that, there's still 2 moves left over. Many Mismagius's have Thunderbolt simply because it's a good special attack and that Mismagius's movepool is very small. While the most common Mismagius out there may be the Calm Mind one with Sub, not all of them are the same, and Thunderbolt is a very common option on Mismagius and should always be predicted when one comes out.
He had established at that point that he thought Mismagius was a Substitute/Calm Mind Mismagius though, which indeed it was. You can't have HP Fighting/Shadow Ball/TBolt/Calm Mind/Substitute, even though it would be nice.

EDIT-I misread what you said, which makes what I wrote above less meaningful. Still though, I'm wondering why he assumed it was TBolt/Shadow Ball and didn't even take HP Fighting into consideration.

Actually, this was the first one that used HP fighting on me. All the ones I've ever fought were T-Bolt + Shadowball or T-Bolt + HP Ice. I haven't read Mismagius's analysis so it simply never occurred to me.

Lack of experience I guess. D/P is my first generation where I've decided to play seriously. (Checkout my join date. More or less, thats when I started) Either that, or I just never faced a guy who used Mismagius properly. In hindsight, HP fighting + shadowball is awesome coverage, and I used it with my Togekiss (Aurasphere + shadowball)

ah, majestic.

I've been routing for ChompSwamp since I read about him so I hope to see you thoroughly nail his walling ability in the end.

Lack of experience I guess. D/P is my first generation where I've decided to play seriously. (Checkout my join date. More or less, thats when I started) Either that, or I just never faced a guy who used Mismagius properly. In hindsight, HP fighting + shadowball is awesome coverage, and I used it with my Togekiss (Aurasphere + shadowball)
The thing is, Air Slash/Aura Sphere gives you neutral damage against everything except Zapdos (who you should probably switch out of anyways), and Rotom, and Air Slash deals higher damage with STAB factored in.

The thing is, Air Slash/Aura Sphere gives you neutral damage against everything except Zapdos (who you should probably switch out of anyways), and Rotom, and Air Slash deals higher damage with STAB factored in.
The reason is simple: Togekiss was specifically designed to break Cress / Bliss, as well as set up nasty plots on a Starmie and non-specs gengar. (huge Sp. Def).

All of those pokemon are weak to either aura sphere or shadow ball.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Cresselia can't do anything to Togekiss but paralyze it and setting up Plots on Starmie and friends has nothing to do with using Shadow Ball, since you can just as easily blast them with Air Slash. Giving up the ridiculous flinch rate and better neutral power is simply ridiculous.

Anyway, nice war story. There's nothing wrong with using Garchomp defensively in general, it has the stats and typing to do it if you so please. It's somewhat like the way many people use Zapdos as a Special wall of sorts. Pretty much any of the legendary-tier pokémon can function well defensively, they're just not normally used that way.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I know you're going to scream Grass Weak at me, but how about Counter Rhyperior? Sends back physical hits for a KO in Return, resists fire, could set up Rocks, and still has a mighty EQ and Stone Edge or Megahorn. Or LOL Blizzard >_>.

Abomasnow is a good switchin (if not the best one) on Bulky waters that would ruin Rhyp's day.

Charizard and Moltres resist all the things you want them to (Fire, Grass, Fighting), but they aren't walls by any estimation and have horrid SR weak. To their credit they both get Roost.

Salamence and Altaria also resist Fire/Grass/Fighting. Salamence will definietely bring out a wall. Altaria can be a cleric and has Natural Cure to absorb status, but it doesn't bring walls out much.

Uxie can set up Rocks and dole out status, but only resists Close Combat. You could give it Light Screen if you wanted.

I was actually thinking Salamence / Dragonite (Alteria? o.O). But that would change my team from a 4-rock weak to a 5-rock weak >_> (Abomasnow, Weavile, Walrein, Froslass, and *insert dragon here*).

I'm not sure if I noted this before, but a rock resist is perhaps the most critical for my team. Another reason for me sticking with the ground typing.

Because of that, Rhyperior might actually be a decent choice however. I'll probably have to look for a tentacruel replacement though.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Why not Substitute Rhyperior? Makes it easier to deal with special attackers. Also forces switches if the switch in is weak to FP, EQ or Stone Edge. You could add Megahorn over one of those.

EDIT:Why not add Forretress over Tentacruel? It'll help you take on Weavile and it can also TSpike and Spin. Gyro Ball makes it a great TWave absorber.

I thought of Forretress over Tentacruel... but removing one of my 2 fire resists (tentacruel and garchomp) for another 4x fire weak seems like a bad idea.

To be quite honest, I don't think this is a RMT thread....but then again it's not like I have anything to add so good win and good day.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was actually thinking Salamence / Dragonite (Alteria? o.O). But that would change my team from a 4-rock weak to a 5-rock weak >_> (Abomasnow, Weavile, Walrein, Froslass, and *insert dragon here*).

I'm not sure if I noted this before, but a rock resist is perhaps the most critical for my team. Another reason for me sticking with the ground typing.

Because of that, Rhyperior might actually be a decent choice however. I'll probably have to look for a tentacruel replacement though.
Well I'd give my usual shameless plug for Steelix but that has a fire weak and a fighting weak. You could always go with some strange hybrid Agility/Roost/Stealth Rock/Steel Wing set, in which you could Roost and remove the rock nuetrality. Unfortunetely with hail you'd HAVE to Roost since Lefties would be nullified. Registeel also resists rock, but has the same fire/fighting weak problems as Steelix. At least it isn't weak to water.

For Tenta replacement I might suggest Venomoth. It has Toxic Spikes, Sleep Power for those ornery levitators, and 4x resists fighting and grass.

Nidoqueen also has Toxic Spikes, but it has a Rock resist and electric immunity. Can also phaze. but Water weak, Grass and fire nuetral and only middling SD it isn't that great at addressing your team's weaknesses.

Roserade can do the same Sleep Power/Toxic Spikes trick as Venomoth, but it isn't as resistant to fighting attacks and, if you can believe it, is weaker than Venomoth at taking physical attacks (it takes special hits better but has a lot more weaknesses.) It does have a better ability in Natural Cure and better special attack than Venomoth, but Abomasnow already has Grass attacks.

Drapion is the fastest of the lot outside Tentacruel, but it doesn't have many useful resistances. It can Knock Off and Taunt though.

Shuckle can take fire and SOME (activated guts ScarfCross does at most 50%) fighting moves great. W/ rest it can absorb status, it can knock off and can encore to set up spikes/Walrein.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)