Wash Away (Rain Offense)

Hey there Smogonites, this is a rain team I have for you. It has peaked at a rating of 1358, and has hit 1300 4 times. I suck at battling so that is pretty good for me. It revolves around a sweep with any pokemon; every pokemon here is offensive and packs a punch.
First Look:

On to the team:

Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Rain Dance
- Tailwind
Tornadus is the premier unboosted hitter on this team. The sheer power of a Specs Hurricane OHKOs all offensive pokemon and 2HKOs most defensive ones. To be honest, the rest of the moves are filler. U-Turn is for scouting what they send into a Hurricane, and to nab some damage on T-Tar while gaining momentum. Rain Dance is if I have lost the weather war, and Prankster means it will go first. Tailwind is also situational; it is if I am being swept; I can pull a Tailwind and send in a fast sweeper to KO the threat. Note: Tornadus never leads, he is just in the lead position to throw the other team off.

Politoed (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Perish Song
Politoed is the base of the team, for obvious reasons. He provides the infinite rain this team loves. Scarf 'Toed is for revenging +1 D-Nite, as I have no steels, so a +1 dragon is a big big big threat. Surf hits surprisingly hard considering Politoed's average Sp. Atk. Hp [Grass] is for other waters, but I usually only use it on a predicted Gastrodon switch; it 2hkos Gastro, which is very nice. Perish Song stops baton pass and sweepers that can set up on politoed very well. While Scarf 'Toed does sometimes give the opponent a free turn, it is very necessary for this team.
Azelf @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
Azelf is my lead 99% of the time. This is my very own set, but definitely isn't original. However, it gets the job done. SR is a priority to help this team nab crucial KOs, and the other three moves offer excellent coverage. LO just adds to the power; I found Focus Sash to not be that helpful because if Azelf was getting OHKOed, it was usually by a T-Tar. All three moves also can at least 2HKO every other weather starter. Psychic is a strong move in general but 2HKOs Ninetales. HP Fighting comfortably 2HKOs chople tar and can severely damage offensive t-tars. Flamethrower can OHKO scizors who switch in to azelf, and OHKOs abomasnow. It is also very unexpected since they see politoed in team preview; however rain is usually not up when azelf is in the field.

TESTING: Dugtrio in this spot with SR, EQ, Reversal, and Sub.

Jolteon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
Jolteon is a blazing fast sweeper at 394 speed and packs a massively powerful Thunder; however the main reason Jolteon is on my team is because he gets free switch-ins on Rotom-W all day. Politoed attracts Rotom-W like money attracts hookers, so Jolteon loves to switch in on the Volt Switch. Thunder + HP [Ice] are bread and butter moves, but subpassing is rarely seen with Jolteon. I use SubPass to scout what the opponent has as a Jolteon check and then usually pass it to Toxicroak or Sharpedo. Jolteon is probably the most irrereplacable member because without him, Rotom-W terrorizes this team.

Toxicroak (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
The one who sweeps all, Toxicroak. Every offensive rain team needs something to kill Ferrothorn, and Croak is exactly that. Usually Jolteon will pass Croak a sub; I can then sub to block a leech seed, and at +1 def gyro ball/power whip won't break my sub. Ferrothorn is set-up bait for Toxicroak, and I have gotten countless sweeps with this guy. Dry Skin + Lefties = 18% HP a turn + Drain Punch = AMAZING RECOVERY. Sucker Punch takes out all those fast annoying Psychics, and is a very useful priority. Sub BU Croak is absolutely amazing is all I have to say.
Sharpedo (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spd
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet
- Protect
Sharpedo. Sharpedo is without a doubt the best rain sweeper w/o setup moves of all time. 152 Spd + Speed Boost means after 1 turn, Jolteon and Aerodactyl are outsped, and after 2 ScarfGar and Latios. 252 Atk and Adamant mean more power. Waterfall and Crunch are two great STABs that also have great coverage. Usually, the other team is weakened when Sharpedo comes out, and he just finishes everything off. Aqua Jet stops something like Nidoking at +2, and beats out low-hp scizor who come in intending a BP. Protect ensures at least 1 Turn of speed boosts, and can give me a hope of winning a game in which I might have been 6-0ed.

This is my rain team. For Threats, the biggest one is a +1 Mence that comes in on politoed locked into surf/hp grass. I have trouble with it, but can usually sac pokes to the Outrage and then whittle it down with Sucker Punch and Aqua Jet. SR helps a lot too.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, got the request. This team is really dependant on keeping rain up and your team struggles to do so since Scarf Politoed isn't very durable. You have Rain Dance on Tornadus, but once those 8 turns run out your team will still be gimped so I think a Dugtrio could work nicely as it gives you a way to secure the weather war while still maintaining your team's offensive nature. Opposing weather inducers shouldn't be hard to trap too, as Ninetales / Ttar will like to switch into Jolteon / Tornadus to reduce their main STAB to 50% accuracy, at which point you can U-turn / Volt Switch out into Duggy. Dugtrio also eliminates Jirachi, which means you can spam Hurricane with Tornadus. I would use Dugtio over Azelf as Azelf's primary role was setting up Stealth Rock, which Dugtrio can also do.

It looks like your team has severe trouble getting past Ferrothorn. It completely walls half your team, which means it can set up a ton of hazards to limit your switches. I would use Focus Blast on Tornadus over Rain Dance. With Dugtrio, Rain Dance will see little use, while Focus Blast 2HKOes most Ferrothorn and hits Rotom-W for neutral. Focus Blast also gives Tornadus a second attack (that isn't 50% accurate) incase you lose the weather war. You could also use Focus Blast over HP Grass on Politoed. Your team can handle Gastrodon, and Focus Blast still hits Rotom-W for a solid amount of damage. Finally I suggest using a Mixed Sharpedo; this set can lure in and OHKO Skarmory with a rain-boosted Hydro Pump, meaning Toxicroak will have an easier time sweeping. If you choose to use Hidden Power Fire, then it also helps with your Ferrothorn weakness.

Dugtrio | Arena Trap | Focus Sash
Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Earthquake | Stealth Rock | Sucker Punch | Reversal

Sharpedo | Speed Boost | Life Orb
Hasty | 148 Atk / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Hydro Pump | Crunch | Aqua Jet / Hidden Power Fire | Protect

Hope this helps

Lavos

Banned deucer.
you're running a u-turn Tornadus, where's your spinner? also you're incredibly weak to dragons of any sort cuz no steel type. therefore, also so you can get rid of fat ugly so-and-so azelf with bloody flamethrower in RAIN, run a Donphan. yeah yeah maybe it sucks or something but I like it therefore you're gonna use it.

Donphan @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

trust me I'm smart. also you might consider replacing fat Sharpedo with something like Metagross to further reduce your glaring weakness to specially based Dragons i.e. Latios and Latias. and run Air Balloon on Jolteon so your team doesn't completely get destroyed by EdgeQuake combo plz.

needs more rain stall

Thanks for the rates. First, Btzz. I totally agree; one of the weaknesses of this team is the dependency on rain. I think all your suggestions are great and I will try them all. Next, Lavos Spawn.Basically you don't like my team so you want to change it to rain stall? Sorry, but I would like to keep the theme of rain offence; donphan kind of ruins that.

One defensive pokemon doesn't = stall and doesn't make your rain team defensive, it just provides a defensive pokemon in case things go south to back up your offensive core. And yes with the prevalence of stealth rocks, you will need a spinner if you wanna get the full effect of Tornadus. To aid with this I recommend you add a Forretress as this gives you a well needed dragon resist, and allows you to spin away entry hazards or setup your own. But if you're hell bent against using a defensive pokemon you could always run a rapid spinning starmie with thunder and hydro pump.

One defensive pokemon doesn't = stall and doesn't make your rain team defensive, it just provides a defensive pokemon in case things go south to back up your offensive core. And yes with the prevalence of stealth rocks, you will need a spinner if you wanna get the full effect of Tornadus. To aid with this I recommend you add a Forretress as this gives you a well needed dragon resist, and allows you to spin away entry hazards or setup your own. But if you're hell bent against using a defensive pokemon you could always run a rapid spinning starmie with thunder and hydro pump.
True, but IMO a defensive pokemon kills the offensive momentum. I am probably going to ditch this team; if I add Starmie, it'll have 5/6 same pokemon as Stone_Cold's Reflections team >.<

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, cool team.

Anyways, I feel as if this team is far too easy to set hazards on. Ferrothorn can come in on pretty much everything, save Toxicroak, while Azelf can't prevent something like Blissey from using SR, which given Tornadus being on your team [especially as a U-Turn user], can be pretty big. Anyways, I think you could throw Taunt on Azelf over Flamethrower, which doesn't do much while in rain, which you want to try and keep up so that Azelf's teammates can abuse it [replacing Psychic would work too]. Taunt prevents stuff like Blissey, Donphan, etc from getting up SR, which can prove useful later in the match, as it will lead to more opportunities for Tornadus to come in. Speaking of Tornadus, I think you could fix up its set a bit and try Hurricane / U-Turn / Focus Blast / Tailwind. Focus Blast gives Tornadus great coverage along with Hurricane and can hit very hard thanks to specs, it also makes stuff like Tyranitar fear coming in, which allows rain to stay up longer; it also hits Ferrothorn, Heatran, Blissey and a ton of special walls for a good chunk of damage and will probably be able to hurt something between Hurricane/FB with proper prediction. It's best to nix Rain Dance, since that's a move you really don't want to be locked into and you can usually keep rain up with smart play; Tailwind on the other hand is somewhat of a last resort move that can come in useful during certain situations. Additionally, I think it would be beneficial for this team if you used Mynism Toxicroak [SD / Ice Punch / Cross Chop /], mainly because not only is it able to lure Gliscor and Dragons, it also puts an enormous amount of pressure on Skarmory and Tangrowth [+2 Cross Chop does around 80%], which can help open up a sweep for Sharpedo, given that it's purely Physical.

Change Summary:

Azelf:
Flamethrower-> Taunt

Tornadus:
Rain Dance-> Focus Blast

Toxicroak (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Cross Chop
- Ice Punch
- Sucker Punch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)