Item Weakness Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly thought of Suicune and Mamoswine as well. Anything that can some how increase its defense or speed while taking effect and primarily only x2 weaknesses would be ideal. Screen support also helps ensure you survive more SE hits. are there any pokemon with an absorbtion ability that covers their weakness like Water Absorb? Would that activate the item too?
Would Dusknoir be good? I think he had fairly good attack and defenses and ghost moves will be more common. Also Golurk! Weakness to water grass and ghost, but can he tank a hit? SpD Latias might be able to survive certain fairy/dragon moves...

I certainly thought of Suicune and Mamoswine as well. Anything that can some how increase its defense or speed while taking effect and primarily only x2 weaknesses would be ideal. Screen support also helps ensure you survive more SE hits. are there any pokemon with an absorbtion ability that covers their weakness like Water Absorb? Would that activate the item too?
Would Dusknoir be good? I think he had fairly good attack and defenses and ghost moves will be more common. Also Golurk! Weakness to water grass and ghost, but can he tank a hit? SpD Latias might be able to survive certain fairy/dragon moves...
I know that Laturn gets Volt Absorb although I honestly dont remember if being part electric makes the damage neutral. Really in the end though the more I think about it Dragonite really is the ideal user. Able to take any hit, has priority so no real need to invest in speed, reliable recovery. Man it has them all.

Also mentioning screens; even though weather was nerfed abit it is style viable. So for example on a Rain team even a not-so-bulky steel/grass etc. type could come in on a fire move and take the hit relatively well.

I know that Laturn gets Volt Absorb although I honestly dont remember if being part electric makes the damage neutral. Really in the end though the more I think about it Dragonite really is the ideal user. Able to take any hit, has priority so no real need to invest in speed, reliable recovery. Man it has them all.

Also mentioning screens; even though weather was nerfed abit it is style viable. So for example on a Rain team even a not-so-bulky steel/grass etc. type could come in on a fire move and take the hit relatively well.
Lanturn takes neutral damage from Electric attacks if he takes different ability like Water Absorb, so it won't work on Lanturn no matter what. Although it would be really worth it to check if Weakness Policy activates on some Pokemon with immunity which otherwise would take SE hit from certain move (for example Azumarill with Sap Sipper).

Problem with Screens in Gen 6 is that Defog not only remove hazards, but screens as well (at least it did in Gen 4 & 5, so maybe it changed, but I doubt it) and there are Pokemon with Infiltrator which ignore screens anyway, so I wouldn't rely on those too much, as screening suddenly becomes really situational.

Forcing them to take the time to switch to the Defog user and then actually use the move still gives you the momentum. So whether they dispense of them or not the advantage is still yours if your team benefits but doesnt rely like most BO teams which is where youd want something with Weakness Policy. Tyranitar has the bulk with SpD and the movepool to abuse a multi increase in attacks. You just cant come in on fighting moves. Weakness to common priority moves hurts though. If Terrakion is still common Gyrados will weaken his attack and resist CC or EQ otherwise. So if you got in free you can Dragontail or Roar him out while you take the boost

Forcing them to take the time to switch to the Defog user and then actually use the move still gives you the momentum. So whether they dispense of them or not the advantage is still yours if your team benefits but doesnt rely like most BO teams which is where youd want something with Weakness Policy. Tyranitar has the bulk with SpD and the movepool to abuse a multi increase in attacks. You just cant come in on fighting moves. Weakness to common priority moves hurts though. If Terrakion is still common Gyrados will weaken his attack and resist CC or EQ otherwise. So if you got in free you can Dragontail or Roar him out while you take the boost
Defog still makes Light Clay screening kind of shaky at best, if not unreliable. Normal screening as well. And you can't block it (only Taunt). Of course for good bulky offense it doesn't matter as those teams are bulky anyway, but I didn't mention BO specifically (although this item is the best for bulky mons), just teams which rely on those screens to do their job. For example double screening HO with Defog buff sounds meh and when somebody mentioned Light Screen/Reflect support, I assumed that they wanted to abuse this item with squishier, but more powerful Pokemon which would survive some SE hits with screens, which otherwise they couldn't (like for example No defensive EVs Solar Power Charizard in Sun). So yeah, just stick with this items on bulkier mons and you're fine.

As I said - I don't think you can rely on screening anymore unless you have a good way to bait early some Defog users and finish them off quickly. Defog still takes only 1 turn, which isn't alot (throwing SR can also make you loose momentum and it's not a reason which suddenly would people stop using it).

BTW I also thought of Aurorus. While it's typing really damn suck, his special bulk is really good, so it actually survive some SE hits when needed. Also learn Rock Polish from what I know (correct me if I'm wrong).

I never said rely. The pokemon that best take advantage of this item are those that benefit from screens but can abuse them. For BU you either get hit with a much weaker SE hit, or you get the turns to set up or take out a Defog user. Thats what I meant by momentum. Youre abusing a move you dont need, but that they HAVE to compensate for.

My previous post is devalued somewhat by the realization that the item is consumed on use, so a fully bulky set won't be getting +6 off of this, but bulky with +2 set is still nice.

Another option is the use of endure to trigger this on pokemon that can handle being down at 1hp, specifically something with priority attacks. This basically functions as a swords dance or nasty plot that would otherwise not be possible in situations where you would get OHKO. At this point it seems like there is too much investment (item + endure) to justify this strategy, plus there's the risk of being killed by neutral attacks.

Also, Snorlax with stockpile could make this worth using recycle. It's probably less reliable than curse, but can function as a better version of workup. I don't foresee this being successful, but it could have potential as long as you don't get killed by a crit.

something that crossed my mind when thinking of pokemon that can benefit greatly from this item is torterra.

He has 4 weaknesses he can use to exploit this item

with pretty good defensive stats, attacking stats that aren't terrible, Rock Polish, and a pretty decent move pool he might actually be really good with this item.

Probably not OU but still.

Overgrow + 2 stage Attack Boost + 2 Stage Speed boost

He doesn't necessarily have to go physical either With Earth Power and Giga Drain for sustain

Last edited:
Torterra doesn't seem good enough to use this. Weakness policy is useless if you have to switch out because they brought in a pokemon with an ice attack.

This could be cool to try on guys with Unburden. Messing around with endure hitmonlee, acrobatics drifblim, or maybe an attempt at bulky hawlucha could be fun.

Drif gets gets baton pass as well as it's great bulk. I can see it getting some good use.

This is the set ive been running with on dragonite to great success so far.

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Multiscale
252 Atk 252 HP adamant

- earhquake
- outrage
- dragon dance
- Roost

Use him as a lead to take advantage of setting up on leads and before entry hazards come into play. Multiscale and HP EVs ensure that even a stab ice beam won't kill you. after 1 dragon dance you can be @ +3/+1 and roost when possible. Only completely walled by togekiss as far as im aware.

if worried about his low speed you can also use him as a cleaner if they don't seem to have anyone you can set up on at team preview by pairing him with scolipede and baton passing a few speed boosts/sub(if possible)

This is the set ive been running with on dragonite to great success so far.

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Multiscale
252 Atk 252 HP adamant

- earhquake
- outrage
- dragon dance
- Roost

Use him as a lead to take advantage of setting up on leads and before entry hazards come into play. Multiscale and HP EVs ensure that even a stab ice beam won't kill you. after 1 dragon dance you can be @ +3/+1 and roost when possible. Only completely walled by togekiss as far as im aware.

if worried about his low speed you can also use him as a cleaner if they don't seem to have anyone you can set up on at team preview by pairing him with scolipede and baton passing a few speed boosts/sub(if possible)
The problem that set has is that frustrating 2-move coverage. Pick Earthquake and Togekiss is immune to you. Pick Fire Punch and Heatran walks all over you. Pick Waterfall and Azumarill laughs at you...

Since Weakness Policy makes that set a one-hit wonder of sorts, have you tried not using Roost?

Roost is too good to pass up against stallers and resetting multiscale. Having one pokemon in the entire game hard counter you isn't the end of the world. If you see togekiss at team preview, be wary of keeping in dragonite. chances are they switch to togekiss predicting an outrage anyway so you are back at square one.

With Dragonite and Weakness policy I'd give it the bulk to take any dragon attack, Roost, and 3 attacks with at least one of those moves being special for more sweep and wallbreaking potential.

Jameswilliams

formerly Vortiene
could go well with a cosmic power sigilyph? tank everything and roost and just watch your special attack max out for whatever else you have in store for them. Could get 140 power stored power in 1 turn if the opponent uses a SE move after you do cosmic power once. Roost and sweep while they cant do anything cept let your attack increase even more.

I was checking the number of weaknesses by type combinations, and there are two that called my attention: Grass/Psychic (6 weaknesses, one 4x), and Fighting/Rock (6 weaknesses). Of course, the two mons that I'm thinking of, Celebi and Terrakion, are still unreleased, but both have the bulk to survive a moderately powerful SE hit (both are still raped by Scizor, though).

I'm thinking that also Metagross could take advantage of its two newfound weaknesses. Perhaps a variation of Agiligross w/ Bullet Punch?

Please keep in mind that this is all theorymon.

could go well with a cosmic power sigilyph? tank everything and roost and just watch your special attack max out for whatever else you have in store for them. Could get 140 power stored power in 1 turn if the opponent uses a SE move after you do cosmic power once. Roost and sweep while they cant do anything cept let your attack increase even more.
I was thinking about Cosmic Power working well with it in general.

How about Starmie? Hefty amount of weaknesses with only a bit less bulk than Sigilyph but with superior speed. You have to give up one coverage move to have both Cosmic Power and Recover though. Too bad Starmie doesn't get Stored Power or a complimentary ability like Tinted Lense.

I was checking the number of weaknesses by type combinations, and there are two that called my attention: Grass/Psychic (6 weaknesses, one 4x), and Fighting/Rock (6 weaknesses). Of course, the two mons that I'm thinking of, Celebi and Terrakion, are still unreleased, but both have the bulk to survive a moderately powerful SE hit (both are still raped by Scizor, though).

I'm thinking that also Metagross could take advantage of its two newfound weaknesses. Perhaps a variation of Agiligross w/ Bullet Punch?

Please keep in mind that this is all theorymon.
Celebi has 7 weaknesses. As of Gen VI, so does Terrakion. Both tie with Tyranitar, Abomasnow, and other Grass/Psychic types for most weaknesses of any Pokemon.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I said about Celebi, six 2x weaknesses, one 4x. I missed the others because I needed to add Fairy to the spreadsheet. Of course, the number of weaknesses just indicates windows of opportunity; Grass/Dark pokes will probably not survive a SE hit, while Celebi, Terrakion and Ttar are much bulkier, and also have a remarkable offensive presence. Sadly, without a form of recovery and/or priority (Jibaku's Yveltall has both), the mon will fall easily to revenge killers. I'm seriosly thinking about Metagross, its physical bulk might be enough to let it "fish" for stray Shadow Sneaks (and Ghost seems to be one of the go-to types this gen).

The only Pokemon I can see abusing it is Dragonite, with multiple exploitable weaknesses + the ability to tank them with Multiscale, Weakness policy could be a nice way to lure in say a HP Ice while you set up a Dragon Dance and then sweep with Dragon Claw (Outrage would be a bad idea as you only have one shot at sweeping with the item and your item can boost you up to +3 anyway) + EQ + Epseed (Hell you could go mixed if you really wanted to). of course it's through and through a gimmick and wouldn't even work if it was the main item for Dnite but I don't see how it couldn't help you in more than a few games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gimmick alert but...

I wonder how it works with Simple.
Boosting Bibarel with Weakness Policy for the LOLs:
Work Up*/Curse | Endure | Quick Attack | Waterfall/Aqua Tail (*5th gen TM)
Would be at +6 after a boost and WP activation assuming Simple is triggered.

Some other untested ideas for this situational item:
Mamoswine:
Ice Shard | Icicle Crash | Earthquake | Endure/Stone Edge
It has pretty common weaknesses to Fighting/Steel/Fire/Water, immunity to Hail/Sandstorm, useful STAB priority and great attack.

Feraligatr could probably do something with it as well considering that it has Aquajet and Torrent:
Swords Dance/Agility | Endure/Waterfall/Brick Break | Aquajet | Return/Flail/Brick Break
Yeah, slashitis. Either try for +2 Atk/+2 Spe or +4 Atk.
Not really sure about this one but some combination might be useful.

Last edited:
Both Dragonite(Multiscale) and anything with Thick Fat(Mamoswine/Venusaur) would be outrageously badass with this, as long as they outspeed whatever they were hit by or as long as they have a priority move(extreme speed / ice shard). It will obviously not be perfect, depending on what you were SE'd by (Fighting Move/Ice Beam/Whatever), but definitely awesome as a comeback killer. I dig it.

I could see Drifblim using this really well in NU

It has that monster HP stat to survive a SE hit, use Weakness Policy, activate Unburden and then proceed to rape everything with now unresisted (bar Normal) Shadow Ball or powerful Acrobatics

It can also Baton Pass to another mon when its health gets low

Really looking forward to using this :)

Last edited:
Dragonite
@ weakness policy

Ability: Multiscale
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Hasty / Naive

Agility
Fire Blast / Fire Punch
Earthquake
Dragon Claw

Once this badboy, gets set up, very few things are taking any hits from it. The idea is to agility with multiscale intact, because this dragonite needs the speed boost to be effective. Thanks to multiscale and full HP investment, dragonite can tank even most ice attacks, allowing weakness policy to activate. Even with zero investement, dragonite's attack stats reach 608 Atk and 474 SpAtk after activation. Agility gets your speed around 580, so nothing practical is outspeeding you.

The attacks are straight forward, giving dragonite nearly perfect neutral coverage. Dragons simply can't afford to be locked into outrage this gen, so dragon claw is chosen instead. Earthquake gives the standard great coverage next to dragon, and hits plenty of things super effectively itself. The choice between Fire Punch or Fire Blast is really up to you, Blast is listed first because it allows dragonite to avoid things like iron barbs and king's shield. It also gives you the 2HKO on mega aggron, which could tank EQ with it's titanic defense stat. Once extremespeed is released, this set would really appreciate its priority and it could be considered over earthquake.

This dragonite functions much better in the early game, smashing holes in unprepared teams, with dragonite essentially have a shell smash boost within the first couple of turns if played correctly. Remember that you have no form of recovery, so if you want to save it for later in the match, you need a way to remove SR. Weakness policy in general is a one shot per match thing; so once you go for it, there is no point to switch out as the boosts disappear and you're left with no item.

Partners: Like any sweeper, this dragonite loves screens to help it out, and light clay klefki is a great partner. It resists all of dragonite's weaknesses, taking rock / ice / dragon / fairy attacks with ease, and setting up priority screens that can essentially function as a second shot at multiscale. If something happens and dragonite needs to be saved for later, Forretress is a good spinner that pairs well with dragonite, and can even throw down hazards to break those sashes this set hates. Defoggers such as empoleon can be used in a pinch, but dragonite appreciates hazards on the other side of the field.

Checks and counters: Once this dragonite is set up, basically nothing is switching into this without taking massive damage. Bronzong can force dragonite to guess which move to use and hurt it badly with gyro ball, but a good (or lucky) choice by your opponent is still a OHKO. There are three main ways to deal with this dragon: status, speed and priority. Once you realize that this set isn't sub or lum berry, paralyzing it should be a top priority. This dragon has no priority itself, so once it's para'd it goes down quickly, although whatever paralyzes it will probably sacrifice itself in the process. Burn can be used in a pinch, as a burn at +2 returns dragonite to normal attack levels. Similarly, priority can be used, but be aware that dragonite resists fighting and water, limiting your options. Like many boosting sweepers, unaware quagsire stops it dead in its tracks and ice beams for the OHKO. In a bit of a final uncommon counter, Porygon2 can come in and trace multiscale, survive a hit and OHKO with ice beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)