XY OU Weather Warfare (Sand/Sun team, peaked 1810+)

What Hidden Power should Keldeo have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi everyone! Iridiscent here, with my 4th RMT! With the shifts in the OU metagame this quarter, I've seen almost everyone running Landoruses and Charizard X'es, and I wonder why Charizard-Y gets less love. So I decided to make a team around him, and see what it can do (thanks to Xuna for that long chat which birthed this idea) Anyway, I tried it in a few tournaments and on the ladder, and was pleasantly surprised. Still, misgivings abound, and me being the general ignoramus, I seek thine opinions!

NOTE: Any similarity to existing weather teams using Charizard Y and Tyranitar is purely unintentional.

Team Building Process

I wanted to base the team around Mega Charizard Y (I'll call it Yardy), so here it is.

I wanted a complement to Yardy, which could also serve as a defogger. I found Latias to serve this purpose, as well as being a fast nuke with access to a reviving Healing Wish.

Latias wasn't strong enough and lacked essential coverage; it also got trapped too easily, and had to sacrifice itself too often for naught. I replaced her with her stronger brother, as my need for Healing Wish isn't severe.

Stealth rock and its removal were musts; Latios couldn't spare the turns for defog, so after deliberating, I decided to make a double weather team with a Tyranitar and Excadrill (Sandrill) core. Excadrill also had the benefit of not removing my own rocks as well.

I needed a Bisharp counter badly. I decided to use a Technician Breloom with Spore support.

Breloom was too weak and too situational (despite Spore). So I bunged in a Keldeo, and added stallbreaker Talonflame for good measure (because screw Chansey).
Mix suggested Rotom-W instead of Talonflame, and it does work better as a pivot without the rocks issue. Latios is now a defogger as well; Excadrill is a pure sweeper.
---------------------------------------------------------

So here's the actual team:

Hi! I'm Yardy! My hobbies include burning and razing! If only the pebbles didn't hurt so much...
Mega Charizard-Y (M) @ Charizardite Y

Ability: Drought (Blaze)
Timid Nature
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
-Fire Blast
-Solar Beam
-Focus Blast
-Roost

The central star of the team is Yardy, with the standard wallbreaking set. The purpose is simple: utterly destroy anything that comes its way. Fire Blast 2HKOs, if not completely disintegrates, almost the entire meta (screw you, Chansey) while Solar Beam hits water and ground types like a ton of bricks, requiring no charge-up courtesy Drought. Focus Blast is situational, yet extremely useful for putting Heatran and Tyranitar in their place. Roost helps keep Yardy alive if he takes too many knocks, and is especially helpful in allowing him to repeatedly enter the game at any stage.

The spread is simple: maximum special attack and speed to hit hard and fast. The sun boost is so ridiculous that the extra power from a +SpAtk nature isn't worth the speed drop

Man, I wish I could take more than two hits, what with this recoil stuff and shit...

Latios (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Hidden Power [Fighting]
-Defog

Latios is the premier hit-and-run attacker, nuking half the meta with Draco Meteor and exiting quickly. As such, a timid nature with maximum special attack and speed is used. Latios handles Yardy's dragon-type checks and counters, such as Garchomp or Dragonite, enabling Yardy to run Roost instead of the sticky Dragon Pulse. Psyshock is essential STAB with the capacity to plow through Chansey and Mega Venusaur, and also helps it KO Terrakion and Keldeo, two faster threats that can halt Yardy. Defog is the crux of the set; it is essential for Yardy's success. Latios is a great offensive Defogger, with his high speed and useful resistances.

In the last slot, I have chosen Hidden Power Fighting, to specifically KO Bisharp and 2HKO tyranitar on the switch. HP Fighting is especially good for luring Bisharp, which is generally overeager to switch in on a Defog and net a free +2. There's no warrant for HP fire, as there's enough firepower on the team to fully satisfy Ferrothorn & Co.

Sometimes I feel as if all I ever do is play in the sand before biting the dust...
Tyranitar (F) @ Smooth Rock

Ability: Sand Stream
Relaxed Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpAtk
-Stealth Rock
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Ice beam

Tyranitar is the second weather bastion, setting up the sand crucial for Excadrill to abuse. She's also the Rock Setter of the team, having enough bulk to switch in multiple times throughout the game to lay down Stealth Rock. Her mere presence is enough to dissuade the Latis from trying a defog. That said, she has little other purpose; Crunch is the main STAB with Earthquake offering good coverage against opposing Rock Setters like Heatran. Ice Beam is extremely situational, used only for nailing Gliscor, Landorus-T or dragons as they try to switch in. It should be noted that Ice Beam is too weak to OHKO the standard Gliscor, Landorus-T or Garchomp at full health, but it is helpful in finishing off a weakened threat.

The EVs are designed to give Tyranitar maximum bulk, factoring in the Sandstorm boost to Special Defense. This lets her switch in multiple times to establish sand and set up rocks. A Smooth Rock extends the sandstorm long enough for Excadrill to use it fully.

Prepare to face your doo- What? the sun's out? NOOO...
Excadrill (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
-Earthquake
-Iron Head
-Rock Slide
-Swords Dance

The Speed gained from Sand Rush significantly improves Excadrill's offensive presence, dramatically enhancing his ability to revenge kill or possibly even sweep. Adamant Excadrill's Life Orb-boosted Earthquake hits hard; with a bit of prior damage, it is capable of taking down most Pokemon in a single hit. Rock Slide creates a quasi-EdgeQuake combo, while Iron head gives it a strong neutral STAB. Both moves also sport a handy flinch chance.

This variant of Excadrill can be used as a revenge killer or late-game sweeper depending on the state of the match. Swords Dance allows him to set up on a predicted switch, and proceed to start tearing through teams with insanely powerful Iron Heads and Earthquakes. In fact, Excadrill at +2 cleanly 2HKOs Chansey with either of its STABS. However, he's always on a leash; it isn't too long before his precious sand deserts him (pun totally intended) leaving him at a severe disadvantage against faster opponents.

I used to possess a TV and keep changing the channel to 'Gardevoirs Gone Wild!'

Rotom-W @ Leftovers

Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Speed
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Switch
-Will-O-Wisp
-Pain Split

Enter the supreme troll, Rotom-W; it occupied the position held once by Talonflame. In many ways it has proven itself a better harasser than Talonflame ever was; Not only does it check physical threats like Landorus-T, Azumarill and Bisharp with Will-O-Wisp, but it can also counter Mega Pinsir and Talonflame itself with STAB Volt Switch or Hydro Pump. The two moves work well with a physically bulky spread to put great defensive and offensive pressure whilst gaining momentum simultaneously. Pain Split is useful to aid Rotom-W in healing itself alongside Leftovers. 44 Speed is key to outspeed Adamant Azumarill.

The biggest advantage of Rotom-W is the lack of weakness to Stealth Rock, automatically making the team more stable. It also works extremely well with Excadrill, providing a slow Volt Switch to safely bring him in.

I'm Fabulous!
Keldeo @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
-Hydro Pump
-Scald
-Secret Sword
-Hidden Power [Electric]

Keldeo's role is very straightforward; With a Choice Scarf, he can revenge kill a great number of boosted threats such as Mega Gyarados, Mega Tyranitar, and Garchomp. Additionally, he can also outrun and defeat common, naturally faster Pokemon such as Gengar, Greninja, and Thundurus. Keldeo is also worth his weight in gold, as he can neuter this team's horrible Bisharp and Chansey weaknesses. Maximum speed and special attack with a timid nature is therefore used.

Scald is a very useful early game tool, hitting hard with a STAB boost and also having a useful 30% burn chance. This is especially useful for punishing an Azumarill or Venusaur switch. Secret Sword not only counters specific threats like the aforementioned Bisharp, Tyranitar, Chansey and others but also acts as a strong neutral STAB. HP Electric is mainly for nailing other water types, but speculation abounds as to its usefulness. Hydro Pump is an excellent late game cleaning tool with STAB and high power.

So thus ends my team description. Now I shall list the checks and counters that trouble me, so the gentlefolk among you can help me deal with them, while the scummy honourable others will counter me with them!

1. Stealth Rock This is no longer quite so threatening. Latios is generally able to removing rocks before dying, and my team (save Yardy) is no longer so weak to rocks.

2. Bisharp O Lord, how I still hate this. This is one of the main reasons behind me losing momentum mid-sweep, as any honourable gentlefolk who use Bisharp would testify.
Thanks to Rotom-W, which can happily switch in on any of Bisharp's moves and promptly burn him without being 2HKOed, and also due to the presence of Keldeo and HP Fighting latios, it isn't so scary anymore.

3. Pink Blobs Chansey and the now-less-used Blissey are the bane of Yardy; maximum powered Fire Blast does about 25%. Again, Keldeo and to some extent Latios mitigate this weakness with their defense-centric STABs, but this costs me valuable momentum and literally invites a thunder wave or toxic. Swords Dance Excadrill comfortably counters Chansey and Blissey, fearing nothing from either thunder wave or toxic. This significantly reduces my fear of them.

4. Scarfed Dragons/Landorus-T Scarf users DO NOT wreck the entire team anymore, thanks to Rotom-W and my own Scarfed Keldeo. Rotom-W has greatly reduced my fear of Landorus-T and dragon types by threatening them with a burn or with Hydro Pump.

EDIT: Thanks to Mix's suggestion to use Rotom-W and SD Excadrill, most of the above mentioned threats are more or less neutralized. Of course the team is not perfect; it still faces dangers like Mega Gyarados, Mega Charizard X, Greninja, Gliscor and Slowbro, and the advent of ORAS will only bring new threats like Mega Metagross, Mega Sharpedo and O Lord WHY Mega Salamence. But until then, this team is doing well, and I welcome your suggestions and criticisms to detect other potential flaws.

As for now, these are my issues. I'm posting this after a long time (no thanks, exams) and have consequently decayed significantly on the ladder since a peak of 1810-ish, but I'd be glad to see your remarks here and in the poll. Edits are in Red.

Thanking all,
Iridiscent

Importable:
http://pastebin.com/E1unsPtm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Mix

mahmood soldi
is a Past WCoP Champion
Hi there, nice team.
I saw your team and it's very good, in the treath list you talk about this:

Bisharp
SR
Chansey
Scarf Lando-T

So I have some purposes for your team, if SR is a problem you can change the set of Latios in the Roost + Defog and change Excadrill in the SD + 3 attacks, with this change you can repair 2 problems, SR and Chansey, with the recovery move Latios can survive plus then Excadrill and can defog plus times. Bisharp isn't a real problem because you have BulkyWoW Talonflame + Keldeo.
Scarf Landorus can be a prob but you can beat it with TTar + Keldeo + Talon but if it is a big problem you can change Taloflame with Rotom-W, it can take Knock Off of Bisharp and can burn it, in plus it can beat Scarf-Landorus-t very easily with WoW + Hpump.

Here the set.

Code:
Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Recover

------------------------------------

Excadrill (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Sword Dance

------------------------------------

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Hope I Helped, bye!

Mix

Thanks a lot for the tips. I really like the idea of Rotom-W; I wonder why I didn't think of it earlier. You're right, it does solve my Landorus-T problem while also putting even more pressure than Talonflame minus the huge stealth rock weakness. I have made the necessary edits.

As for your other suggestion, I have seriously considered it, and on the whole I agree. I had been using defog Latias before, and replacing Thunderbolt with Defog to make Latios an offensive defogger seems workable; the loss of electric coverage is negligible (plus I also have Rotom-W now for that) However, I don't want to replace HP Fighting with Roost; I value the jump factor on Pursuit users more than potential recovery. This does allow me to run SD on Excadrill, and kick Chansey at that, so thanks again for the help.

Reactions: Mix

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)