1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Weatherless anti-meta tech ish

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Serph, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Serph

Serph

HELLLOOOO Smogon, I'm a long time lurker finally making a profile and his first post. wanted to share a team I've been really enjoying.

Started out with the idea of a Machamp lead and then throwing in as much support to check all of its counters. A couple moveset ideas were "borrowed" to great success. I try to stay away from gimmicky sets but this team is meant to counter the weather and take advantage of as many immunities as possible while keeping the synergy going.

I wont breakdown the team building process cuz i've forgotten most of it so straight to the team:

The Lead
    [​IMG]

Machamp/ Lum Berry
    No Guard
    Adamant
    236 hp/248 atk/16 spD/8 spe
    Dynamic Punch
    Payback/Stone Edge
    Ice Punch
    Bullet Punch

It all started with trying to get this guy to wreck stuff as early as possible before your opponent knows what happened. Tested this lead a lot in 4th gen and loved it. The idea of going full aggro from the get go is a well accepted strategy for good reason: it gets results if your opponent is unprepared for a huge assault on turn 1. I’m still debating between Payback and Stone Edge. The only reason I can think of for keeping Payback is for the Pringle man. Machamp certainly doesnt wanna stay in on bulky ghosts or any psychics and Stone Edge hits more things like flying type switch ins. Ice Punch is mostly for Dragons, Landorus and Gliscor. after this I wanted a Gengar counter or at least a dark type to sponge psychic and dark types.

Old Tech
    [​IMG]

Weavile/ Expert Belt
    Pressure
    Jolly
    252 atk/252 spe/4 hp
    Pursuit
    Ice Shard
    Night Slash
    Low Kick

I havent used this guy since early 4th gen, it was a simpler time then. But as the meta evolved and pokes like Scizor and defensive types in general became common, Weavile was sunk down to UU where it still has its niche. What it does well is revenge killing but it is also a hard check to Gengar(without a sub), Alakazam, Espeon the Lati's and anything 4 times weak to ice. One of my fav things to do in this game is to out predict my opponent. Say if I pursuit and kill their Gengar and in comes a Ttar thinking its safe, its gonna get Low Kick'd because my opponent probly thought it was banded. However, Weavile should never be switched into any non psychic or ghost moves especially with rocks around. I prefer Night Shade over the obvious Ice Punch just to hit bulkier psychics/ghosts and half the team is already packing an ice move so its not a huge loss.

Fire Special Sponge
    [​IMG]

Heatran/ Lefties
    Flash fire
    Calm
    252 hp/252 spD/4 spe
    Lava Plume
    Stealth Rock
    Toxic
    Protect

This is my personal favorite Heatran set: it walls things, trolls sun teams and sets up rocks. My main special wall on this team but it can also predict EQ's, Toxic on the switch and Protect has another function in racking up burn/poison damage. I wanted a way to get rocks up and this guy also sponges fire away from Skarmory and Weavile. The only problem is now I have 2 fighting weaknesses. Lefties over Air Balloon as I've never been a fan of AB since its release because its so easily disposed of.

Flying Tank
    [​IMG]

Skarmory/ Rocky Helmet
    Sturdy
    Impish
    252 hp/228 def/ 12 spD/16 spe
    Spikes
    Brave Bird
    Whirlwind
    Roost

Cant remember where I saw the idea for the item but whoever thought of it was a genius. There have been times when I just sit back, roost up while my opponent kills themselves due to something like their own life orb and rocky helmet damage. Skarmory is my one and only flying type which has great synergy with Weavile and Heatran. He'll set up spikes and checks fighting types. The EV spread gives me all the physical bulk I need but still be able to out speed most Scizor and Breloom.

Water Sponge
    [​IMG]

Gastrodon/ Choice Specs
    Storm Drain
    Modest
    252 hp/252 spA/ 4 def
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Earth Power
    Recover

Yes you are reading that right Specs Gastrodon is a beast. It may seem gimmicky at first but just hear me out: after a predicted Storm Drain boost Gastrodon's somewhat decent spA score of base 92 becomes doubled w/specs and if its raining then even better. He is every rain team's worst nightmare and although may lack the speed or defenses to get a hit in. the huge base hp stat and the fact that the opponent will likely switch after a boost practically makes that a non issue. This is another one of those sets where if you catch them off guard they wont know what to do. Hp Grass is an alt move slot for recover to hit things like Rotom-W and other bulky water types. I went with recover mostly to be able to scout out my opponents move and in the off chance I get tricked another item its not the end of the world.

[​IMG]

Starmie/ Life Orb
    Natural Cure
    Timid
    252 spA/252 spe/6 hp
    Scald
    Ice Beam/Psychic
    Tbolt
    Rapid spin

A spinner would be a must when using Weavile, his psychic typing also aids against fighting moves. Life orb is prefered over lefties because damage>recovery. Typical Starmie set but I'm having trouble deciding on its moveset. Ice beam is there for coverage but Psychic would provide dual STAB's and give me more of an oomph against fighting and poison that would otherwise wreck this team. So I'm not really sure about that or maybe even hp fire for things like Scizor or Forretress. When I'm not trying to sweep I don't understand why anyone would pick Surf over Scald, just for the added burn.

I've put a lot of thought into this team so let me know whatcha think ;)
  2. NatGeo

NatGeo sun's coming up
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Hey, interesting team. I think your team has some problems with OTR Reuniclus, however - it 2KOes most of your team with its standard set of Psychic / Focus Blast / Shadow Ball, and your main psychic killer, weavile, can't do a thing about it. Weavile itself is also a bit of a weak link on this team, since it's really frail as opposed to the rest of the team and is almost reliant on Starmie to clear the field before it comes in. CB Scizor seems like a cool replacement to try, at least imo. You still have the ability to take out Dragon-types with STAB Bullet Punch and the like, while you have a MUCH more solid answer to opposing Psychic-types thanks to a STAB U-turn. It's weaknesses are also pretty well covered by the rest of the team. Lastly, you also get a *bit* more insurance versus opposing weather teams, since STAB Bullet Punch takes out most of its frailer abusers in one shot.

CB Scizor (open)

Scizor @ Choice Band | Adamant Nature
    248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
    Bullet Punch / U-Turn / Superpower / Pursuit OR Bug Bite

As for some minor changes you could try to help make this team function, HP Grass over Recover on Gastrodon is as good an idea as any, since a) Choice-locked Recover doesn't help in a lot of situations and your opponent can take advantage of it, and b) it gives you a solid attack versus Water-types, the most common Pokemon you'll be switching into due to Storm Drain. This really helps versus Choice Rotom-W as well. Otherwise from that, looks like a good team! GL!
  3. Black Rain

Black Rain

Hi. Offensive SD Scizor can give you quite a bit of trouble as it is able to outspeed your Heatran's current spread and OHKO/2HKO every member of your team at +4 (Skarmory is 2HKO'd at +2 with Superpower). I suggest giving Heatran more speed for safeguard against Scizor

Heatran (open)

Heatran(M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 96 SDef / 160 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Lava Plume
    - Stealth Rocks
    - Toxic
    - Protect

160 Speed allows you to outspeed all forms of Adamant Scizor and OHKO with Lava Plume.
  4. Darkerones

Darkerones

I second the first two rates.
    And also,get rid of Rocky Helmet on Skarmory and give it Shed Shell so you don't get raped by DragMag.

Payback isn't as good as it was in 4th Gen,and since you have Weavile I would go with Stone Edge for Volcarona and Zapdos.

Machamp doesn't need those SDef EVs since Azelf isn't seen in OU much. Put those back into HP and Attack.

If you're dead set on using Weavile,a gimmicky option would be to replace Pursuit for Ice Punch or another coverage move. Most people will assume you have Pursuit anyway and stay in on you since Weavile is frail.
    However its a big gamble. Don't recommend it if you're a begginer

Don't use Psychic on Starmie.
    And also,use Leftovers. Trust me,getting Life Orb recoil for Rapid spinning is a pain.
    Consider Recover if you're dead set on LO though.
  5. BTzz

BTzz spams overhand rights
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Solid team! CM and OTR Reuniclus will give you some serious problems. The OTR variant can 2HKO your whole team after setting up on Machamp, while nothing on your team can OHKO a +1 Reuniclus (or avoid being 2HKOed by one). I suggest using a Specially Defensive Jirachi over Starmie. Jirachi is a great check to Reuniclus, x4 resisting Psychic and wearing it down with Iron Head. Jirachi also spreads paralysis which is incredibly useful for bulky attacks like your Gastrodon and Machamp. You lose a spinner, but Wish support is much better for this team in my opinion. Jirachi's Wishes extend the lifespan of Heatran, Gastrodon and your two sweepers. Now that you have Wish support, you can use Air Balloon on Heatran so you aren't swept by HP Ground Volcarona. Since Gastrodon can also receive Wishes, you can use Hidden Power Grass over Recover. You don't want the oppoent setting up on Choice locked Recover, and HP Grass makes Gastrodon a much better check to Rotom-W (which you need).

Jirachi | Serene Grace | Leftovers
    Calm | 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
    Iron Head | Body Slam | Wish | Protect

Hope this helps!
  6. Tepig

Tepig

lol it spins.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)