OU Weavile

[OVERVIEW]
  • High Attack and Speed allow Weavile to greatly threaten offense and act as a general revenge killer.
  • Access to priority allows it to revenge kill Speed-boosting threats, such as Rock Polish Landorus, Dragon Dance Zygarde, and Rock Polish Landorus-T.
  • Its fantastic STAB combination is resisted only by a few notable Pokemon.
  • Outright underwhelming bulk plus susceptibility to priority leaves it vulnerable at times.
  • Weakness to Stealth Rock and Life Orb recoil will very quickly whittle its HP.
[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Icicle Crash
move 3: Ice Shard
move 4: Poison Jab / Swords Dance / Pursuit
item: Life Orb
ability: Pressure
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Knock Off is Weavile's primary STAB move, dealing sizable damage to even Pokemon that resist it while removing items.
  • Icicle Crash targets common metagame threats weak to Ice-type attacks such as Garchomp, both Landorus formes, Latios, and Latias.
  • Ice Shard is crucial Ice-type priority that preys on Pokemon 4x weak to Ice-type attacks and can be used to pick off faster, weakened threats.
  • Poison Jab preys on Fairy-type Pokemon that will commonly switch into Weavile, such as Tapu Fini, Clefable, and Azumarill.
  • Swords Dance allows Weavile to serve as a threatening sweeper, but usage is very prediction-reliant given Weavile's frailty.
  • Pursuit is useful when a teammate benefits from the removal of Psychic- and Ghost-types, such as Latios, Latias, and Gengar.
  • Low Kick is another option in the final slot that targets Heatran, Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, and opposing Weavile.

Set Details
========
  • Maximum Attack and Speed investment capitalizes on Weavile's strengths.
  • Life Orb further boosts Weavile's power while not restricting its move selection like a Choice Band.
  • Jolly nature enables Weavile to make the most out of its stellar base 125 Speed stat.
  • Pressure is used over Pickpocket to avoid taking unwanted items.

Usage Tips
========
  • Given its low bulk, Weavile should be played as a revenge killer, brought in after something has been KOed or via VoltTurn support.
  • Spam Knock Off early-game to cripple checks and counters.
  • While not entirely necessary, if using a team with entry hazard removal, removing hazards from your side of the field will greatly increase Weavile's longevity.

Team Options
========
  • Teammates capable of dealing with obnoxious Fairy-types such as Tapu Fini, Klefki, and Clefable are appreciated; examples would be Jirachi, Kartana, Mega Scizor, and Heatran.
  • Keldeo is a massive pain to Weavile, so something capable of stomaching its STAB combination is ideal; examples include Latios, Latias, Starmie, Tapu Fini, and Mega Venusaur.
  • Latios, Latias, Tapu Fini, and Starmie are all able to remove hazards from the field for Weavile.
  • Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Latios and Latias via Pursuit such as Landorus lacking Knock Off, Keldeo, Mega Charizard Y, Manaphy, Breloom, and Mega Venusaur make for good teammates.
  • Bisharp and other Dark-type Pokemon can form a Dark-spam core capable of overwhelming Dark-resistant Pokemon.
  • Rotom-W can help check Mega Scizor, Choice Scarf Jirachi, and Sand Rush Excadrill while also providing Volt Switch support.
  • Tapu Koko potentially provides VoltTurn support and can threaten Keldeo, Azumarill, Tapu Fini, and Skarmory.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Iron Tail can punish Fairy-types but has low accuracy and is thus unreliable.
  • Taunt can annoy more passive answers to Weavile that rely on recovery for longevity, such as Clefable and Skarmory.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Pokemon Resistant To Weavile's STAB moves**: Keldeo, Tapu Fini, Azumarill, Cobalion, Klefki, Magearna, and Mega Gyarados all resist Weavile's STAB moves and thus make decent switch-ins, depending on Weavile's final moveslot.

**Bulky Steel-types and Fairy-types**: Skarmory, Celesteela, and Ferrothorn possess enough raw bulk to withstand Weavile's attacks and threaten it with their Steel-type STAB moves. Mega Scizor resists Ice-type attacks and doesn't take boosted damage from Knock Off. Clefable is also generally capable of beating Weavile should it be sufficiently healthy.

**Priority**: Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor and Mega Metagross are easily capable of KOing Weavile, while other priority such as Azumarill's Aqua Jet is capable of doing so after a bit of prior damage.

**Faster Pokemon**: Tapu Koko and certain Choice Scarf users, such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Tapu Lele, and Jirachi, are able to outpace and threaten Weavile with their coverage.

**Residual Damage**: Life Orb, a Stealth Rock weakness, and a susceptibility to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes greatly wear down Weavile over the course of a match. Life Orb recoil and the presence of Stealth Rock alone is often the reason Weavile will faint.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would probably follow the XY analysis and just put Swords Dance in moves or make it a second set. I feel the other moves are way too critical for Weavile.

Agree on just keeping Swords Dance in moves. Poison Jab is a much better option than Pursuit as the three main targets for it are more important than trapping Lati@s, especially since you cannot effectively trap without CB (which is a poor set in itself). Add Tapu Koko as a teammate as it threatens various annoying Pokemon for Weavile such as Tapu Fini, Azumarill, Keldeo, and phys def Skarm. Also has the potential to bring in Weavile safely with Volt Switch or U-turn.

Nice job 1/3

Agree on just keeping Swords Dance in moves. Poison Jab is a much better option than Pursuit as the three main targets for it are more important than trapping Lati@s, especially since you cannot effectively trap without CB (which is a poor set in itself). Add Tapu Koko as a teammate as it threatens various annoying Pokemon for Weavile such as Tapu Fini, Azumarill, Keldeo, and phys def Skarm. Also has the potential to bring in Weavile safely with Volt Switch or U-turn.

Nice job 1/3
Implemented!

p2

Banned deucer.
i think sd is the best 4th move on weavile, id say replace low kick with pjab because low kick isn't too relevant right now, tran isn't the most common mon and ttar is literally nowhere to be seen rn and pjab for fini is great

up to you and 3rd qc though, 2/3

• i agree with p2 on low kick and SD and pjab; tran and ttar aren't that common really, and pjab is nice for fini.
  • i'd include tapu fini in the hazard removal section because it's probably more relevant than starmie at this phase. it's too early to tell how things will fall in the somewhat long term, but i think mentioning fini is nicer for relevancy. mentioning both is fine though of course.
  • i'd mention celesteela in the section about steels that annoy weavile personally. i'd not mention cobalion personally since nobody's using that.
  • i don't see the point in mentioning things like scarf terrakion and scarf jirachi because those aren't really seen much at all here. you could mention scarf lele instead since it's immune to priority (ice shard), and it outspeeds and beats it.
good job 3/3

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
going off your current bullet ordering, I would like to suggest some moving around. "Fantastic dual STAB combo, resisted only by a few notable Pokemon" is a general statement that doesn't provide specific insight into why you should use Weavile. RKing and threatening offense are more interesting information for someone reading through analyses to make a team, so those reasons should be mentioned first. It is kind of a small change but when it comes to writing (and other reading), it's always helpful to talk about interesting things first.

Also instead of speed tier, helpful to say the actual stat, especially in a new generation

• i agree with p2 on low kick and SD and pjab; tran and ttar aren't that common really, and pjab is nice for fini.
  • i'd include tapu fini in the hazard removal section because it's probably more relevant than starmie at this phase. it's too early to tell how things will fall in the somewhat long term, but i think mentioning fini is nicer for relevancy. mentioning both is fine though of course.
  • i'd mention celesteela in the section about steels that annoy weavile personally. i'd not mention cobalion personally since nobody's using that.
  • i don't see the point in mentioning things like scarf terrakion and scarf jirachi because those aren't really seen much at all here. you could mention scarf lele instead since it's immune to priority (ice shard), and it outspeeds and beats it.
good job 3/3
going off your current bullet ordering, I would like to suggest some moving around. "Fantastic dual STAB combo, resisted only by a few notable Pokemon" is a general statement that doesn't provide specific insight into why you should use Weavile. RKing and threatening offense are more interesting information for someone reading through analyses to make a team, so those reasons should be mentioned first. It is kind of a small change but when it comes to writing (and other reading), it's always helpful to talk about interesting things first.

Also instead of speed tier, helpful to say the actual stat, especially in a new generation
Thanks for the input! This is ready for GP.

Hey, you gotta write everything in paragraph form before sending this off to GP.
Everything at this point in time remains a skeleton, hence the requirement for only one GP check. Full analysis writeups will likely take into effect later once the meta stabilizes more and we have a good baseline for the sets that will be used.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
  • High Attack and Speed (capitalize) allow it Weavile to greatly threaten offense and act as a general revenge killer
  • Access to priority allows it to revenge kill Speed (capitalize) boosting threats, such as Rock Polish Landorus, Dragon Dance Zygarde, and Rock Polish Landorus-T
  • Fantastic dual STAB combo, resisted only by a few notable Pokemon
  • Outright underwhelming bulk plus susceptibility to priority leave it vulnerable at times
  • Weakness to Stealth Rock and wear from Life Orb recoil will very quickly whittle its health pool

[SET]
name: All-Out (capitalize O) Attacker
move 4: Poison Jab / Low Kick / Pursuit

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Knock Off is Weavile's primary STAB, dealing sizable damage to even resists while removing items
  • Icicle Crash targets common metagame threats weak to Ice-type attacks such as Garchomp, both Landorus formes, Latios, and Latias, and so on
  • Ice Shard is crucial Ice-type priority that preys on those 4x weak to Ice-type attacks and can be used to pick off faster, weakened threats
  • Poison Jab preys on Fairy-type Pokemon that will commonly switch into Weavile, such as Tapu Fini, Clefable, and Azumarill
  • Low Kick targets Heatran, Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, and opposing Weavile
  • Pursuit is useful when a teammate benefits from the removal of Psychic- and Ghost-types, such as Latios and Latias
  • Swords Dance is another final slot option that allows Weavile to serve as a threatening wincon, but usage is very prediction-reliant given Weavile's frailty

Set Details
========
  • Max Attack and Speed (capitalize) investment capitalizes on Weavile's strengths
  • Life Orb further boosts Weavile's power while not restricting its move selection like a Choice Band
  • Jolly nature enables Weavile to make the most out of its stellar 125 base Speed stat
  • Pressure is used over Pickpocket to avoid taking unwanted items

Usage Tips
========
  • Given its low bulk, Weavile should be played as a revenge killer, brought in after something has been KOed or via Volt-Turn support
  • Spam Knock Off early game to cripple checks and counters
  • While not entirely necessary, if using a team with hazard removal, removing hazards from your side of the field will greatly increase Weavile's longevity

Team Options
========
  • Teammates capable of dealing with obnoxious Fairy-types such as Tapu Fini, Klefki, and Clefable are appreciated; examples would be Jirachi, Kartana, Mega Scizor, and Heatran
  • Keldeo is a massive pain to Weavile, so something capable of stomaching its STAB combination is ideal; examples include Latios, Latias, Starmie, Tapu Fini, and Mega Venusaur
  • Latios, Latias, Tapu Fini, and Starmie are all also able to remove hazards from the field for Weavile
  • Pokemon such as Landorus lacking Knock Off, Keldeo, Mega Charizard Y, Manaphy, Breloom, and Mega Venusaur, that appreciate the removal of Latios and Latias via Pursuit, make for good teammates
  • Bisharp and other Dark-type Pokemon can form a Dark-spam core capable of overwhelming Dark-resists
  • Rotom-Wash can help check Mega Scizor, Choice Scarf Jirachi, and Sand Rush Excadrill while also providing Volt Switch support
  • Tapu Koko potentially provides Volt-Turn (remove hyphen) support and can threaten Keldeo, Azumarill, Tapu Fini, and Skarmory

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Iron Tail can punish Fairy-types but has low accuracy and is thus unreliable
  • Taunt can annoy more passive answers to Weavile that rely on recovery for longevity, such as Clefable and Skarmory

Checks and Counters
===================

**Pokemon Reistant to Weavile's STABs**: Keldeo, Tapu Fini, Azumarill, Cobalion, Klefki, Magearna, and Mega Gyarados all resist the Weavile's dual STABs and thus make decent switchins, depending on Weavile's final moveslot.

**Bulky Steel-types and Fairies**: Skarmory, Celesteela, and Ferrothorn possess enough raw bulk to withstand Weavile's attacks and threaten it with their Steel-type STAB moves. Mega Scizor resists Ice-type attacks and doesn't take boosted damage from Knock Off. Clefable can generally beat Weavile should it be healthy enough via STAB Moonblast or Thunder Wave. (this was kind of confusing)

**Priority**: Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor and Mega Metagross are easily capable of KOing Weavile, while other priority such as Azumarill's Aqua Jet, (remove comma) is capable of doing so after a bit of prior damage.

**Faster Pokemon**: Tapu Koko and certain Choice Scarf users, such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Tapu Lele, and Jirachi are able to outpace and threaten Weavile with their coverage.

**Residual Damage**: Life Orb, a Stealth Rock weakness, and a susceptibility to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes greatly wear down Weavile over the course of a match. Life Orb recoil and the presence of Stealth Rock alone is often the reason Weavile will faint.

GP 1/1 nice job sorry about my previous comment

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll fold that Swords Dance is more useful than Low Kick this time around. The only mons I can think of for Low Kick is Ferrothorn and maybe Mamoswine. Still a little torn on Swords Dance being first on 4th slot but I won't fight QC since it's more of a preference thing.

I like PJab / Swords Dance / Pursuit but won't get mad on Swords Dance / PJab / Pursuit as it appears P2 / starry is stating. Hootie seems to also be with PJab / Swords Dance / Pursuit.

I realize this is minor, but could we settle on slot 4?

[OVERVIEW]
  • High Attack and Speed (capitalize) allow it Weavile to greatly threaten offense and act as a general revenge killer
  • Access to priority allows it to revenge kill Speed (capitalize) boosting threats, such as Rock Polish Landorus, Dragon Dance Zygarde, and Rock Polish Landorus-T
  • Fantastic dual STAB combo, resisted only by a few notable Pokemon
  • Outright underwhelming bulk plus susceptibility to priority leave it vulnerable at times
  • Weakness to Stealth Rock and wear from Life Orb recoil will very quickly whittle its health pool

[SET]
name: All-Out (capitalize O) Attacker
move 4: Poison Jab / Low Kick / Pursuit

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Knock Off is Weavile's primary STAB, dealing sizable damage to even resists while removing items
  • Icicle Crash targets common metagame threats weak to Ice-type attacks such as Garchomp, both Landorus formes, Latios, and Latias, and so on
  • Ice Shard is crucial Ice-type priority that preys on those 4x weak to Ice-type attacks and can be used to pick off faster, weakened threats
  • Poison Jab preys on Fairy-type Pokemon that will commonly switch into Weavile, such as Tapu Fini, Clefable, and Azumarill
  • Low Kick targets Heatran, Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, and opposing Weavile
  • Pursuit is useful when a teammate benefits from the removal of Psychic- and Ghost-types, such as Latios and Latias
  • Swords Dance is another final slot option that allows Weavile to serve as a threatening wincon, but usage is very prediction-reliant given Weavile's frailty

Set Details
========
  • Max Attack and Speed (capitalize) investment capitalizes on Weavile's strengths
  • Life Orb further boosts Weavile's power while not restricting its move selection like a Choice Band
  • Jolly nature enables Weavile to make the most out of its stellar 125 base Speed stat
  • Pressure is used over Pickpocket to avoid taking unwanted items

Usage Tips
========
  • Given its low bulk, Weavile should be played as a revenge killer, brought in after something has been KOed or via Volt-Turn support
  • Spam Knock Off early game to cripple checks and counters
  • While not entirely necessary, if using a team with hazard removal, removing hazards from your side of the field will greatly increase Weavile's longevity

Team Options
========
  • Teammates capable of dealing with obnoxious Fairy-types such as Tapu Fini, Klefki, and Clefable are appreciated; examples would be Jirachi, Kartana, Mega Scizor, and Heatran
  • Keldeo is a massive pain to Weavile, so something capable of stomaching its STAB combination is ideal; examples include Latios, Latias, Starmie, Tapu Fini, and Mega Venusaur
  • Latios, Latias, Tapu Fini, and Starmie are all also able to remove hazards from the field for Weavile
  • Pokemon such as Landorus lacking Knock Off, Keldeo, Mega Charizard Y, Manaphy, Breloom, and Mega Venusaur, that appreciate the removal of Latios and Latias via Pursuit, make for good teammates
  • Bisharp and other Dark-type Pokemon can form a Dark-spam core capable of overwhelming Dark-resists
  • Rotom-Wash can help check Mega Scizor, Choice Scarf Jirachi, and Sand Rush Excadrill while also providing Volt Switch support
  • Tapu Koko potentially provides Volt-Turn (remove hyphen) support and can threaten Keldeo, Azumarill, Tapu Fini, and Skarmory

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Iron Tail can punish Fairy-types but has low accuracy and is thus unreliable
  • Taunt can annoy more passive answers to Weavile that rely on recovery for longevity, such as Clefable and Skarmory

Checks and Counters
===================

**Pokemon Reistant to Weavile's STABs**: Keldeo, Tapu Fini, Azumarill, Cobalion, Klefki, Magearna, and Mega Gyarados all resist the Weavile's dual STABs and thus make decent switchins, depending on Weavile's final moveslot.

**Bulky Steel-types and Fairies**: Skarmory, Celesteela, and Ferrothorn possess enough raw bulk to withstand Weavile's attacks and threaten it with their Steel-type STAB moves. Mega Scizor resists Ice-type attacks and doesn't take boosted damage from Knock Off. Clefable can generally beat Weavile should it be healthy enough via STAB Moonblast or Thunder Wave. (this was kind of confusing)

**Priority**: Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor and Mega Metagross are easily capable of KOing Weavile, while other priority such as Azumarill's Aqua Jet, (remove comma) is capable of doing so after a bit of prior damage.

**Faster Pokemon**: Tapu Koko and certain Choice Scarf users, such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Tapu Lele, and Jirachi are able to outpace and threaten Weavile with their coverage.

GP 1/1 nice job sorry about my previous comment
Thanks for the check, fam. I changed the set's name to reflect the slashes Hootie wanted and changed the Clefable sentence.

I believe this is ready for upload. Tagging Hootie and TDK

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
One more thing, sorry, but when you said "health pool" did you mean hit points/HP? Forgot to ask earlier.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Hi there. Sorry about this, but noticed some errors still in the analysis (fyi you still need periods at the end of sentences!), which I will point out below.

[OVERVIEW]
  • High Attack and Speed allow Weavile to greatly threaten offense and act as a general revenge killer. (AP)
  • Access to priority allows it to revenge kill Speed-(AH)boosting threats, such as Rock Polish Landorus, Dragon Dance Zygarde, and Rock Polish Landorus-T.(AP)
  • Fantastic dual STAB combination combo, resisted only by a few notable Pokemon. (AP)
  • Outright underwhelming bulk plus susceptibility to priority leave leaves it vulnerable at times. (AP)
  • Weakness to Stealth Rock and wear from Life Orb recoil will very quickly whittle its HP. (AP)
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Knock Off is Weavile's primary STAB move, dealing sizable damage to even resists Pokemon that resist it while removing items. (AP)
  • Icicle Crash targets common metagame threats weak to Ice-type attacks such as Garchomp, both Landorus formes, Latios, and Latias. (AP)
  • Ice Shard is crucial Ice-type priority that preys on those Pokemon 4x weak to Ice-type attacks and can be used to pick off faster, weakened threats. (AP)
  • Poison Jab preys on Fairy-type Pokemon that will commonly switch into Weavile, such as Tapu Fini, Clefable, and Azumarill. (AP)
  • Swords Dance allows Weavile to serve as a threatening wincon, but its usage is very prediction-reliant given Weavile's frailty. (AP)
  • Pursuit is useful when a teammate benefits from the removal of Psychic- and Ghost-types, such as Latios and Latias. (AP) (can you give an example of a Ghost-type?)
  • Low Kick is another option in the final slot that targets Heatran, Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, and opposing Weavile. (AP)

Set Details
========
  • Max Maximum Attack and Speed investment capitalize capitalizes on Weavile's strengths. (AP)
  • Life Orb further boosts Weavile's power while not restricting its move selection like a Choice Band. (AP)
  • Jolly nature enables Weavile to make the most out of its stellar base 125 base Speed stat. (AP)
  • Pressure is used over Pickpocket to avoid taking unwanted items. (AP)

Usage Tips
========
  • Given its low bulk, Weavile should be played as a revenge killer, brought in after something has been KOed or via Volt-Turn VoltTurn support. (AP)
  • Spam Knock Off early-(AH)game to cripple checks and counters. (AP)
  • While not entirely necessary, if using a team with entry hazard removal, removing hazards from your side of the field will greatly increase Weavile's longevity. (AP)

Team Options
========
  • Teammates capable of dealing with obnoxious Fairy-types such as Tapu Fini, Klefki, and Clefable are appreciated; examples would be Jirachi, Kartana, Mega Scizor, and Heatran. (AP)
  • Keldeo is a massive pain to Weavile, so something capable of stomaching its STAB combination is ideal; examples include Latios, Latias, Starmie, Tapu Fini, and Mega Venusaur. (AP)
  • Latios, Latias, Tapu Fini, and Starmie are all also able to remove entry hazards from the field for Weavile. (AP)
  • Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Latios and Latias via Pursuit such as Landorus lacking Knock Off, Keldeo, Mega Charizard Y, Manaphy, Breloom, and Mega Venusaur, that appreciate the removal of Latios and Latias via Pursuit, make for good teammates. (AP)
  • Bisharp and other Dark-type Pokemon can form a Dark-spam core capable of overwhelming Dark-resistant Pokemon. (AP) Dark-resists
  • Rotom-W can help check Mega Scizor, Choice Scarf Jirachi, and Sand Rush Excadrill while also providing Volt Switch support. (AP)
  • Tapu Koko potentially provides VoltTurn support and can threaten Keldeo, Azumarill, Tapu Fini, and Skarmory. (AP)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Iron Tail can punish Fairy-types but has low accuracy and is thus unreliable. (AP)
  • Taunt can annoy more passive answers to Weavile that rely on recovery for longevity, such as Clefable and Skarmory. (AP)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Pokemon Reistant Resistant to To Weavile's STAB moves STABs**: Keldeo, Tapu Fini, Azumarill, Cobalion, Klefki, Magearna, and Mega Gyarados all resist Weavile's STABs STAB moves and thus make decent switch-ins switchins, depending on Weavile's final moveslot.

**Bulky Steel-types and Fairy-types (new standard) Fairies**: Skarmory, Celesteela, and Ferrothorn possess enough raw bulk to withstand Weavile's attacks and threaten it with their Steel-type STAB moves. Mega Scizor resists Ice-type attacks and doesn't take boosted damage from Knock Off. Clefable is also generally capable of beating Weavile should it be sufficiently healthy.

**Priority**: Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor and Mega Metagross are easily capable of KOing Weavile, while other priority such as Azumarill's Aqua Jet is capable of doing so after a bit of prior damage.

**Faster Pokemon**: Tapu Koko and certain Choice Scarf users, such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Tapu Lele, and Jirachi, (AC) are able to outpace and threaten Weavile with their coverage.

Sorry for burdening you with this D: For future analyses, remember: sentences end in periods for overview to other options; never use STABs — always STAB moves or STAB types; Fairies and Dragons should be changed to Fairy-types and Dragon-types as per the new standards; and don't use "resists" as a noun — it is a verb. Say "<type>-resistant Pokemon" or "Pokemon that resist <type>".

p^2 approved (sobi edit: that means implement it btw)

Last edited:
Hi there. Sorry about this, but noticed some errors still in the analysis (fyi you still need periods at the end of sentences!), which I will point out below.

[OVERVIEW]
  • High Attack and Speed allow Weavile to greatly threaten offense and act as a general revenge killer. (AP)
  • Access to priority allows it to revenge kill Speed-(AH)boosting threats, such as Rock Polish Landorus, Dragon Dance Zygarde, and Rock Polish Landorus-T.(AP)
  • Fantastic dual STAB combination combo, resisted only by a few notable Pokemon. (AP)
  • Outright underwhelming bulk plus susceptibility to priority leave leaves it vulnerable at times. (AP)
  • Weakness to Stealth Rock and wear from Life Orb recoil will very quickly whittle its HP. (AP)
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Knock Off is Weavile's primary STAB move, dealing sizable damage to even resists Pokemon that resist it while removing items. (AP)
  • Icicle Crash targets common metagame threats weak to Ice-type attacks such as Garchomp, both Landorus formes, Latios, and Latias. (AP)
  • Ice Shard is crucial Ice-type priority that preys on those Pokemon 4x weak to Ice-type attacks and can be used to pick off faster, weakened threats. (AP)
  • Poison Jab preys on Fairy-type Pokemon that will commonly switch into Weavile, such as Tapu Fini, Clefable, and Azumarill. (AP)
  • Swords Dance allows Weavile to serve as a threatening wincon, but its usage is very prediction-reliant given Weavile's frailty. (AP)
  • Pursuit is useful when a teammate benefits from the removal of Psychic- and Ghost-types, such as Latios and Latias. (AP) (can you give an example of a Ghost-type?)
  • Low Kick is another option in the final slot that targets Heatran, Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, and opposing Weavile. (AP)

Set Details
========
  • Max Maximum Attack and Speed investment capitalize capitalizes on Weavile's strengths. (AP)
  • Life Orb further boosts Weavile's power while not restricting its move selection like a Choice Band. (AP)
  • Jolly nature enables Weavile to make the most out of its stellar base 125 base Speed stat. (AP)
  • Pressure is used over Pickpocket to avoid taking unwanted items. (AP)

Usage Tips
========
  • Given its low bulk, Weavile should be played as a revenge killer, brought in after something has been KOed or via Volt-Turn VoltTurn support. (AP)
  • Spam Knock Off early-(AH)game to cripple checks and counters. (AP)
  • While not entirely necessary, if using a team with entry hazard removal, removing hazards from your side of the field will greatly increase Weavile's longevity. (AP)

Team Options
========
  • Teammates capable of dealing with obnoxious Fairy-types such as Tapu Fini, Klefki, and Clefable are appreciated; examples would be Jirachi, Kartana, Mega Scizor, and Heatran. (AP)
  • Keldeo is a massive pain to Weavile, so something capable of stomaching its STAB combination is ideal; examples include Latios, Latias, Starmie, Tapu Fini, and Mega Venusaur. (AP)
  • Latios, Latias, Tapu Fini, and Starmie are all also able to remove entry hazards from the field for Weavile. (AP)
  • Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Latios and Latias via Pursuit such as Landorus lacking Knock Off, Keldeo, Mega Charizard Y, Manaphy, Breloom, and Mega Venusaur, that appreciate the removal of Latios and Latias via Pursuit, make for good teammates. (AP)
  • Bisharp and other Dark-type Pokemon can form a Dark-spam core capable of overwhelming Dark-resistant Pokemon. (AP) Dark-resists
  • Rotom-W can help check Mega Scizor, Choice Scarf Jirachi, and Sand Rush Excadrill while also providing Volt Switch support. (AP)
  • Tapu Koko potentially provides VoltTurn support and can threaten Keldeo, Azumarill, Tapu Fini, and Skarmory. (AP)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Iron Tail can punish Fairy-types but has low accuracy and is thus unreliable. (AP)
  • Taunt can annoy more passive answers to Weavile that rely on recovery for longevity, such as Clefable and Skarmory. (AP)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Pokemon Reistant Resistant to To Weavile's STAB moves STABs**: Keldeo, Tapu Fini, Azumarill, Cobalion, Klefki, Magearna, and Mega Gyarados all resist Weavile's STABs STAB moves and thus make decent switch-ins switchins, depending on Weavile's final moveslot.

**Bulky Steel-types and Fairy-types (new standard) Fairies**: Skarmory, Celesteela, and Ferrothorn possess enough raw bulk to withstand Weavile's attacks and threaten it with their Steel-type STAB moves. Mega Scizor resists Ice-type attacks and doesn't take boosted damage from Knock Off. Clefable is also generally capable of beating Weavile should it be sufficiently healthy.

**Faster Pokemon**: Tapu Koko and certain Choice Scarf users, such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Tapu Lele, and Jirachi, (AC) are able to outpace and threaten Weavile with their coverage.

Sorry for burdening you with this D: For future analyses, remember: sentences end in periods for overview to other options; never use STABs — always STAB moves or STAB types; Fairies and Dragons should be changed to Fairy-types and Dragon-types as per the new standards; and don't use "resists" as a noun — it is a verb. Say "<type>-resistant Pokemon" or "Pokemon that resist <type>".

p^2 approved (sobi edit: that means implement it btw)
This has been implemented, so we should we ready for upload.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Swords Dance allows Weavile to serve as a threatening wincon, but usage is very prediction-reliant given Weavile's frailty.

should be sweeper, see your Kingdra thread

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
since
Since this has already come up in both skeletons that have been GPed up to now, figured I'd post here quick that all bullet points should be complete sentences with a period, completed skeletons should be updated to match this.
one more quick change:
Its fantastic dual STAB combination (RC) is resisted only by a few notable Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)