Welcmoe to the zoo (UU)

Yuggles

hey that second guy isn't too bad
Welcome to the zoo (UU)

I’m not one for intros, or long fancy RMTs, I’m posting this to get some help rather than to show it off like a lot of people seem to do. Introducing the mysteriously named, team zoo.

At a glance:

Mutant (Mesprit) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 44 HP/228 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- U-turn
- Trick
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

The biggest problem with making this team was choosing the lead. At this moment in time in UU, the lead game is dominated by suicide leads, and anti-leads designed to counter them. I really don’t like either, because starting a match with one Pokemon down leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and in my experience anti-leads (like Spiritomb and Cloyster) have very poor utility outside of stopping certain leads (and even they have trouble with certain ones)

So I decided to use neither, and go with a bulky lead of sorts. Just like how the OU metagame started to turn to bulky leads like Swampert and Metagross after everyone got tire of suicide/anti leads, that’s what I’m doing. You could say I’m ahead of the game.

Mesprit has served me far better than I ever thought he could. The basic premise is to U-turn against any leads that threaten me (or if I simply have a better answer to them), Trick against anti-leads like Spritomb and Cloyster (which in both scenarios allows me to set up Poliwrath) or in the rare occasion, go straight to the punch using Thunderbolt or Psychic (Moltres/Closyer/Omastar). Mesprit’s late-game play is fantastic too, allowing me to Trick set-up sweepers or simply flex this team’s immunity powers (I have immunities to Ground, Electric, Water, Poison and Fire). I can also use U-turn with or without Scarf to scout opposing teams, and use Thunderbolt or Psychic to clean.

Looking to change: I find myself not using Psychic and Thunderbolt very much, or at least, not using them enough for Mesprit to have max Special Attack. So I’m looking for a different EV spread, probably a faster or perhaps bulkier one.

Tried Healing Wish over Thunderbolt but it didn't work out very well. Thunderbolt allows me to take on lead Cloyster, Omastar, and Moltres easily and makes use of the SpA EVs. Also changed the nature from modest to Timid so I can outspeed Electrode as he Taunts me, which allows me to kill him before he sets up Rain Dance.

Zookeeper (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/100 Atk/156 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Explosion
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

You could say this and Mesprit make up my defensive core, since they cover each others weaknesses well and resist everything except Fire, Water, and Electric. Although Registeel has recently fallen from omnipresence, I find him to be just as useful as always. Maybe even more, since people now aren’t sure whether I’m carrying Toxic or Thunder Wave until it’s too late. Stealth Rock is no surprise here, and I can often set it up quickly if I get in after Mesprit’s U-turn. I find Explosion to be more useful than any other move Registeel has to offer as it allows me to deal a big chunk of damage to anything trying to set up, and then I can bring Mesprit or Poliwrath in to Trick/ Encore.

Looking to change: Iron Head to Earthquake?

Crow (Honchkrow) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

I really don’t think this needs much explanation, Honchkrow has been a spotlight Pokemon from day 1. Adamant over Jolly since with Adamant I can OHKO some Milotics and Donphans switching in before they can do anything to me. Plus, Speed doesn’t really affect Pursuit or sucker Punch if I’m predicting right. Honchkrow goes down fast, but his ability to come in on Psychic, Grass, and Ground attacks, pursue enemies, use priority, and hit like a bitch make him a very valuable team mate.

Looking to change: Nothing, except the Pokemon itself, which is HIGHLY unlikely.

Changed Pursuit to Roost. I'm still not sure about that, since Pursuit was really useful after Tricking/Encoring Psychic type attacks, switching in Honchkrow, and killing whoever used it.

Elephant (Donphan) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- Ice Shard

Standard Donphan but without the stupid Evs suggested in the analysis. The attacking power of this thing is constantly underestimated, both when people try to switch in on EQs or Stone Edges, or when they think they’ll live from an Ice Shard (or if they simply think I’m not carrying it). I went with Stone Edge over Assurance because they both do the same damage to Ghosts if SR isn’t up, and honestly, with so many Pursuit users hanging around, I almost never see Ghost types anyway, except for Spiritomb, and Earthquake is the move to use on him anyway. I’d much rather use Stone Edge to hit fliers (the amount of Moltres that I out predict is hilarious) or make people think twice about what move I’m going to use when they have a Fire-type out.

Looking to change: Same as Honchkrow really, although this guy is perhaps even more set in stone than the boss bird.

Frog (Poliwrath) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
- Focus Punch
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Encore

Poliwrath has become a great glue on many of my teams, with resistances to Dark, Bug, Rock, Fire, Ice, and Water. Better yet is that nobody really knows what this thing can do, and the analysis leads people to belief that Poliwrath doesn’t have Encore. c: Also surprising is the power this thing packs, although the real reason I’m using this is for a bulky Encore user. Encore anything trying to set up, or Encore a move against a counter (for example, I can’t do much to Venasaur so I just Encore the grass attack and switch to Honchkrow) in all Poliwrath is excellent for stopping sweeps and busting holes in the opponent’s team.

Looking to change: Would SubPunch Azumarill be better?

Parrot (Moltres) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/220 Spd/36 SDef
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Substitute
- Toxic

Moltres is a bit of an orphan. On a team where there's a lot of balance and switching, a staller thrown in seems a bit odd. However, on a team with Rapid Spin support and a need for a Fighting, Ground, and Fire resistances, I couldn't help but use such an annoying and useful guy. Flamethrower + Toxic allows me to deal with anything except ResTalkers, and I can either PP stall them or switch in Poliwrath, Encore, and then set up.

Looking to change: Nothing except the Pokemon itself.

This spot used to be filled with a CB Flash Fire Arcanine, but this guy is clearly superior. Better defenses, better resistances, and doesn't die after attacking (from Flare Blitz)

Well there you go, that's team zoo, like I sad it's not supposed to be fancy or anything, the purpose for this is too get suggestions, and I'd really appreciate them. Thank you.

Hey, I'm gonna rate your team now.
So let's begin.

Looking to change: Iron Head to Earthquake?
I wouldn't make Earthquake in the position of Iron Head, bacause imo Iron Head is better on Registeel than Earthquake. Iron Head is a good STAB Move of Registeel and it had also a good chance (30%) to flinche the opponent.

Looking to change: Would SubPunch Azumarill be better?
No, I think SupPunch Azumarill wouldn't be better because imo Azumarill has only one set that is realy good in UU, this is the Choice Band Set, also Poliwraht can be switch in easier than Azumarill because it has Water Absorb as Ability. Also Poliwrath has Encore, this could be realy great in a game to stop boosters and than you have the time to go into substitute.

Looking to change: The whole Pokemon in general. Toss me your ideas.
hmmm, Choice Band Arcanine. I wouldn't change the whole Pokemon, maybe it could be better to make Lum Berry as item, because I think Sceptil could be a big problem for your team, so Arcanine is a realy good pokemon against Sceptile, also Arcanine has the Prioritymove Extremespeed which can also help in the lategame.

So that was my rate. I hope I could help you a little bit.

Yuggles

Yeah I'll stick with Iron Head on Registeel I guess. And keep Poliwarth. But for the record Azumarill has Encore too, so the sets on Azu and Poliwrath could be identical if I wanted them to be.

For the Arcanine, I don't see how Lum Berry would help, especially against Sceptile..I assume you got two ideas mixed up into one sentence. Lum Berry would be pretty pointless, especially since I have immunities to Thunder Wave, WoW, Sleep, and Toxic on my team. Also with Registeel and Mesprit on my team I'm not exactly Sceptile weak, and it's not like I couldn't replace Arcanine with a Sceptile check anyway.

Thanks for the rate.

No, I think SupPunch Azumarill wouldn't be better because imo Azumarill has only one set that is realy good in UU, this is the Choice Band Set.
I strongly disagree with this. I have been using a subpunch Azumarill for quite some time, and it works very well. Poliwrath may have Water Absorb, but Azumarill is pretty bulky (100 / 80 / 80 defences vs Poliwrath's 90 / 95 / 90) and can easily switch in on resisted attacks. It doesn't get STAB on Focus Punch, but coming off 436 attack (Poliwrath can only reach 295) it still hurts a lot. Plus, Azumarill can learn Aqua Jet to bypass its abysmal speed. Finally, it can set up 101 HP subs, which means that Seismic Toss can't break them in one hit.

I also suggest that you replace either Pursuit or Sucker Punch (I recommend Pursuit since having a priority move is good given Honchcrow's average speed) for Roost since Brave Bird and Life Orb recoil hurts a lot.

I notice you don't have a status absorber (except for sleep, which Honchcrow can take care of); you could try changing your Arcanine's set to a sleep talk set with Intimidate and Roar, allowing him to stop boosting physical sweepers and giving your team a way to counter toxic.

I notice you don't have a status absorber (except for sleep, which Honchcrow can take care of); you could try changing your Arcanine's set to a sleep talk set with Intimidate and Roar, allowing him to stop boosting physical sweepers and giving your team a way to counter toxic.
I don't think there is a point in this. It cuts down Arcanine's ability to do damage and he has a check for each individual status (Registeel for Toxic, Donphan for T-Wave, Honchkrow for Sleep).

If Honchcrow manages to get in, something is going to take huge damage.

Since your Donphan lacks defence EVs, it will take a lot of damage from STAB Night Slash/Drill Pecks.

Your chance against Honchcrow is to revenge it with Arcanine, Mesprit if you haven't tricked it's Scarf and Donphan's Ice Shard.

However, Arcanine will not like to take a Non-Intimidated STAB Attack and and neither will Donphan as they each have no recovery. Mesprit is also easily KO'ed by a Sucker Punch. No self respecting Honchcrow would stay in on a Donphan or Arcanine which gives Honchcrow probably 1 or 2 more opportunities to come in and wreck havoc on your team, even with Stealth Rock up and that could be possibly spun away because of your lack of a ghost.

Some changes that could be made would be changing Arcanine to a much bulkier set with Intimidate, EVing it defensively and sporting some form of recovery : Rest/Morning Sun and possibly investing in some defence EVs in Donphan and using it more to spin off rocks to help with Arcanine and Honchcrow switching in on your side.
This could also help a Blaziken from ravaging through your team as really nothing from your side can take Blaziken's STABs.

However, i feel your Honchcrow build is fine except that Brave Bird+Life Orb+possible Stealth Rock will be taking a toll on the Boss Bird. You should probably switch Brave Bird to Drill Peck.

Finally, another option would be to change U-Turn on Mesprit to Healing Wish which allows a free heal/status off on any one of your pokemon preferably Donphan or Registeel when Mesprit becomes useless. Choice Scarf will help you pull it off easier.

I also like Registeel as although it lacks coverage, Thunder Wave + Iron Head gives a great Paraflinch combo which will help Registeel become quite a potent attacking threat.

This will allow your team to be stronger without changing the original synergy.

Personally I would change Poliwrath to Milotic or Slowbrow. Milotic has exceptional typing and is the best bulky-water in UU. She can do a multitude of things and really stun the opponent. On the flip side, Slowbro has good typing (Bug and Dark weakness is a bummer) and has some decent moves aswell. Access to Psychic stab and higher power surf is really handy. In my opinion a good BulkyWater would make a better Glue than Poliwrath.

-BulletPaunch

Have you considered knocking off the choice band, adding leftovers, and giving Arcanine Howl over Fire Blast. I have used one to great effect when in conjunction with Registeel. A STAB, Howl, Flash Fire, 120 BP Hurts!

On Crow you could have Roost and Drill Peck over Pursuit and Brave Bird. Roost heals off the residual life orb damage, and Drill Peck, despite lacking some power, still can OHKO the same. You can predict the switch and roost over pursuit so that you can sweep for longer

I hope I helped

Yuggles

Just posting to say, I don't have the time for huge post right now, but I am considering some of the things posted here. Mainly, a bulkier Intimidate Arcanine (Fire blast, Extremespeed, Toxic, Morning Sun) or maybe a SubRoost Moltres. As for Honchkrow, I definitely prefer Brave bird of Drill Peck; however I am considering Roost > Pursuit. Oh, and I also love the idea of Healing Wish on Mesprit, however it makes me wonder if a Momento Uxie would be better. Since I'd only have two attacking moves, I think the better defenses and Speed on Uxie would be worth the power drop. If I do keep Mesprit I'm definitely going to make it faster, and put Zen Headbutt > Psychic (since I'd change Thunderbolt to Healing Wish) so I'd only have to worry about physical attacks. Your guys thoughts on this?

Oh, and thank you for all the rates, its very appreciated.

Going special on Mesprit is the way to go as it gives it KOs on Cloyster's weaker side as well as Nidoqueen's weaker side. Plus, Zen Headbutt has a shaky accuracy. I suggest keeping Thunderbolt as you really need the coverage. As i said earlier, U Turn could be replaced as you do not really need the extra few damage. Plus, U Turn could completely expose your set as a Scarfer.

On Arcanine, i suggest Flamethrower over Fire Blast as it has better accuracy and PP for a Bulky Arcanine. Also, you should be choosing between Toxic and Will-o-Wisp. The former being able to disable bulky water switch ins while the latter being able to halt Physical attackers that Arcanine switches into in their tracks. The choice is up to you.

Yuggles

I'm aware that this is almost a week-old thread, however I've added changes to half the team, replacing one of the members completely. I've also gotten a lot more used to all the changes and ways of UU, so hopefully if anyone has some more advice, I'll be able to make better use of it.

I'm also going to be using an alt account to see if I can get a decent rating

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)