What do you miss most from the Gen. I era?

Sayonara

don't forget
Pokemon used to be mainstream at school. Roughly anyone still plays it apart from myself, unfortunately.

Along with a lot of others the thing I miss most is having friends that are into these games as much as you are. I remember every lunch hour we would race to complete the game or we'd bullshit our way through playing TCG together, now that Im in highschool its so different. Its just considered stupid and if you dont agree then you are mocked. Even among my group of friends none would even consider playing Pokemon now.
Dude/Dudette, I'm at Uni and have met plenty of people who play pokemon. Just hold on.

Blizzard being 90% accuracy and Articuno being awesome.

- Razor Leaf's insane crit ratio
- Mew being important (f*** Arceus)
- Using glitches to get cool stuff (cloning items + pokemon, walking through walls, lots of rare candies, etc.) without having to buy an Action Replay
- Local friends to play with
- Alakazam being unstoppable
- Winning with my favorites without worrying about tiers

Just to name a few

Not knowing how the games worked, so i didn't need to worry about stats, IV's and all that. And that you could just use your favorites without someone saying WTF wat 'r' u doin' charizard sucks111

I miss being able to put things in my PC. Yeah, 20 spaces was annoying but having just walls of items that I have to go through in order to find the thing I'm looking for is just as annoying. I just want to be able to put things I never use in my PC. I'm not going to be using half these things anytime soon, so why do they need to clutter my inventory???

The fact that it was raw and new, it was taking a step in this foreign world, discovering what would become the core 151 pokemon and learning the basic concept of pokemon. The move animations (gen 1 ice beam anyone?). There was this sense of mystery and adventure that none of the other games have ever replicated, and it was a great part of my childhood that I'll always remember. The juvenile sense of this kid from a small town venturing forth into a strange and sometimes dark world, that is what I miss from the old games, the true essence of what pokemon was. Adventure.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I miss how every route was filled to the brink with trainers. I feel that their numbers have dwindled now.

I miss being able to put things in my PC.

The unlimited room is nice, but you eventually reach the point where hoarding everything lose its meaning.

The fact that it was raw and new, it was taking a step in this foreign world, discovering what would become the core 151 pokemon and learning the basic concept of pokemon. The move animations (gen 1 ice beam anyone?). There was this sense of mystery and adventure that none of the other games have ever replicated, and it was a great part of my childhood that I'll always remember. The juvenile sense of this kid from a small town venturing forth into a strange and sometimes dark world, that is what I miss from the old games, the true essence of what pokemon was. Adventure.
This can still be accomplished to an extent if you stay away from the game discussion prior to its release. I played Pokémon Black with only the knowledge of what types the new pokémon were, otherwise my knowledge was very limited. I can honestly say it was the closest pokémon experience I've had to Gen I and II.

If a Gen VI ever rolls around, I'll even make my best effort not to look up the new pokémon. Although that'll be difficult since it would virtually mean shutting myself out of the pokémon community for months.

-That level 16 Raticate trainer that kicks so much ass
I know.Our first encounter with Brock wasn't so bad, but that guy? Completely floored. Quick Attack and Hyper Fang is so insanely useful in the beginning of the game.

I miss how every route was filled to the brink with trainers. I feel that their numbers have dwindled now.

The unlimited room is nice, but you eventually reach the point where hoarding everything lose its meaning.

This can still be accomplished to an extent if you stay away from the game discussion prior to its release. I played Pokémon Black with only the knowledge of what types the new pokémon were, otherwise my knowledge was very limited. I can honestly say it was the closest pokémon experience I've had to Gen I and II.

If a Gen VI ever rolls around, I'll even make my best effort not to look up the new pokémon. Although that'll be difficult since it would virtually mean shutting myself out of the pokémon community for months.

I know.Our first encounter with Brock wasn't so bad, but that guy? Completely floored. Quick Attack and Hyper Fang is so insanely useful in the beginning of the game.
Very true, B/W was the newest for me since gen 1, though i couldnt resist looking at all the new pokemon as they were revealed, so it kind of ruined that aspect when i got the game, wish i couldve resisted the urge, but the curiosity nagged at me every day leading up to the release. When i first saw a blitzle online i was so stoked to get that little zebra lol

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I miss the glitches and the fact that Persian's Slash had that infamous 99.whatever% critical hit rate. That was fun, I want it back.

Back then all my friends were into Pokemon. Now they slag it off :-(
Lmfao, same here. Me and my friends started on the R/B/Y games and then we played competitive pokes from Gen 3 - Gen 4. Then they quit after HG/SS came out. Anyway back on subject, I miss all the oringnal sprites they looked so cool :[. And my oringnal ingame team, Charizard, Pidgeot and Articuno.

How can I miss it? I play it all the time on my gameboy.... But, I do still miss everyone playing it, and talking about it..... Now less people play pokemon, and most of them only play the newer ones.

Having to beg for AA batteries, carrying around bricks, needing a Link Cable, everyone playing it, getting your cards taken away at school.

Thinking back to all that, damn I feel old knowing I grew up in the peak (I was 6 or 7 when Red and Blue came out).

The fact your rival was an actual prick rather then what we have now. We now have a ditzy gal who is like "oh well at least i did my best but i'll never be as awesome as you" and a guy who just "i want to be the best and see if you're stronger but we're still friends". SOD THAT. Haven't seen a good rival since GSC...

When your first pokemon were always...
Starter>pidgey>caterpie>pikachu>jigglypuff>magikarp

catrpie cause you want butterfree, pikachu before you realise its shit, jigglypuff was a boss, and magikarp cause it was free.

And when your team after completion always consisted of...

Mewtwo/articuno/zapdos/moltres/dragonite/charizard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)