Hobbies What is a language you are learning right now?

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have studied Greek since I was a child but took it more seriously at university. I keep up with it by watching many news programs in Greek, engaging with native speakers, and watching Netflix's Maestro in Blue.

I also taught myself Latin, but since it is a dead language, it is challenging to keep up with practicing since there is no modern media to engage with. Seeing this thread encouraged me to take an hour a week to keep up with my Latin studies.

I took Spanish in high school but have not used it much since I do not engage with many Spanish speakers outside of a few rare situations.

Very cool! Always been an idle dream of mine to go to Basque country and learn Basque. Can I ask how and why you're learning Basque?
Since 2004 I live in San Sebastian, which is in Basque Country. The educational model here is bilingual, so at school I had to study some subjects in Basque and struggled at it. Eventually last challenge came, the exams to access the university. Only the actual Basque subject was to be made in Basque (for me, others could choose to do the opposite way and take every exam in Basque except the Spanish language) and I managed to get 5,3/10, narrowly passing and feeling more proud about the 5,3 than about the multiple 9s I got in other subjects. After that, I was finally free, at University I could teach every subject in Spanish and forget the local language that at the time I hated.

Of course, even by purpose, fully forgetting a language is hard, especially when the moment to find a job arrived. At the CV I put that I know Russian, Spanish and English at a good level and then that I know Basque, Polish, Ukrainian and Lithuanian at a basic level (last one is a blatant lie, I only know a few words in Lithuanian. Ukrainian one is also semi-lie, I understand it, but if someone speaks to me, answer in Russian or English if it's someone with understandable nationalistic views).
My first job was an internship and Basque wasn't needed. In fact, speaking with anyone who wasn't my superior wasn't needed at all.
My second job was another internship, but in Lithuania. Russian, Spanish and English were all needed, Basque was not.
Third job was again a 2 week internship, but now at a bank sucursal in Zumaia, a coastal town of Basque country (one of the most beautiful ones, recommend visiting it). Here most customers started conversations in Basque, but my limited knowledge was enough and Zumaia is "civilized"enough for the customers to switch to Spanish the moment I did that (in deeper Basque Country they are less nice about this).
Fourth job was at an hotel at the Pyrenees, outside Basque Country again. Some Basque tourists got there during my time but they didn't expect to anyone knowing Basque, so spoke in Spanish directly. Somehow, even Polish language was more useful for me than Basque at the hotel.

At my current job (since 2020) I am again in San Sebastian. I have to speak with a lot of clients but only like 40% of them are from Basque country. Even 90% of those start the conversation in Spanish, so in theory I don't need Basque to do the job. However, many of my workmates (including a girl I am interested in) are from towns outside San Sebastian, meaning they are more Basque than Spanish. Sometimes they speak between them in Basque and I of course want to integrate there, meaning that taking a course would be useful. Another reason is that by September of 2023 I realized my life outside of work was empty and depressing, my number of friends is currently dangerously close to 0 and every day after the 8 working hours looked the same. Therefore, I decided to learn a language in hope to meet new people while doing so. My first choice was Italian, which looked easy, but not enough people signed up for a group to be formed. So, I decided to sign to a Basque course which for now is being a good decision despite not meeting anyone to hang around with even there. In May I will try to take the B1 exam, and since I don't actually need it to do my job, I don't mind about failing (which is pretty likely to happen, it's a very difficult exam), so I will do it with 0 pressure unlike others (unlike me, many people do actually need a proven level of Basque at work, especially outside of the cities).

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ech ginn geschwënn fäerdeg mat méngem European Master's in Translation Studium.
Ich wurde in drei Sprachen erzogen: Luxemburgisch, Deutsch, und Französisch.
Plus tard, au lycée, j'ai aussi appris le latin, le grec ancien, et l'anglais.
Durante mis estudios con una universidad inglesa a distancia he estudiadio español también.
虽然我会说一点儿中文, 可是还是我的水平不太好了。

Hopefully, I'll be able to learn many more languages in the future.
For now, I'm planning on finishing my EMT degree and start working as a freelance translator, either on my own or with an agency.
I had both the honor and pleasure of working with the French translation team here on Smogon, despite not being a native user.
It was great practice for me and consolidated my wish of doing this professionally for a living.
That said, I'm also happy to see how much the translation project has grown here over the course of time.
I, sadly, was unable to do it for too long, though, as my other obligations demanded priority.
Shout-outs to all of my former colleagues, though!

I picked Mandarin Chinese over Japanese back then, but I'm planning on improving my Chinese and learning Japanese as well.
Italian and Catalan (Visca Barça y visca Catalunya) also sound very tempting. So many to choose from.
My circle of friends is very international and I have a habit of learning at least a few basic, every-day elements from their native tongues.
It's a fun little way of establishing and maintaining rapport with people. I picked up a bit of shqip and српски that way, too.

Jeg prøver at snakke dansk, fordi mine forældre og deres forældre kommer fra grænseområdet, altså er det en slags familietradition. Og jeg skal tage nordpå, altid nordpå, indtil jeg kommer til landet af mælk og honning, Hyperborea. I mellemtiden læser jeg Flensborg Avis og Karen Blixen og husker, at klog skæmt er alvors tale.

I have decent knowledge of Ancient Greek and Latin (but still don't feel comfortable enough taking the state exams), which I use mostly for reading the Bible. I wish I could learn at least two of Icelandic, Occitan, Lithuanian and Sanskrit in my lifetime; maybe in a year I might have time for one of those (the former three are on italki). I'm aware that I'm mostly blind to non-Indo-European languages, but what can I say, I love Europe the most. I admire those who can read Chinese, though.

edit: lol I accidentally spoke Dutch instead of Danish. Tradition, not traditie

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)