SPOILERS! "What Isn't A Pokemon Yet" Repository (+ Type Combinations & Super Forms)

would morpeko perhaps count as something of a tsundere pokémon, or is that a bit of a stretch?
Gameplay wise, Morpeko seems to just be mood swings. Tsundere is more about personality in relationship with others (social personality?). I wouldn't say they count....
My point was that tsundere is kind of generic or common trope though....

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Been nearly a year, but that doesn't mean I haven't been maintaining the list. In addition to adding things here and there, I've also done a big project: All lists except one have been alphabetized! Hopefully it'll make searching through the lists, especially long ones, quicker (though if you're looking for a specific thing Ctrl+F is usually the best option).

Now, I did say one list hasn't been alphabetized, and it's a major one: Myth/Folklore/Fairy Tales. First, I did one big change: I split Europe into three: "Europe (General)", "Northern Europe", and "Southern Europe". Why? And why hasn't it been alphabetized? Well, it has to do with the "Other" list. The thing is, a lot of things on the "Other" list can easily go into another of the above lists. A lot of those myths are also spread across Europe and some have enough to make their own subcategory so I decided splitting Europe into 3 groups would help not make it as big as my Asian list. Now, I'm not sure if the "Other" list will exist after I look through it, if it's needed it'll stay if not it'll be removed. Afterwards is when I'll alphabetize it.

Ooh, this list. Let me see...
It would be cool to see a Pokemon based on a Vector, if that's even possible.
Optical Fibers as well.
There's no way it would happen, but a Pokemon based of a Tiyanak would be cool. Or Gungnir. Or a Dvergr.
A Gummy Bear would be cool. Especially a sugar-free one.
Dalgona? (No, I did not get this from squid game. I got that from Cookie Run. Speaking of which, )
Macarons, anybody? Lotus? Dragonfruit?
Do we have a teacher? Forbidden Fruit(Both biblical and the citrus one?) Atlas? Mandrakes? So much more to list...
Also, isn't Zygarde supposed to be based on the children of Loki? And the leash on Zygarde 10% could be Glepnir...

Last edited:
Optical Fibers as well.
There's no way it would happen, but a Pokemon based of a Tiyanak would be cool. Or Gungnir. Or a Dvergr.
Dalgona? (No, I did not get this from squid game. I got that from Cookie Run. Speaking of which, )
Do we have a teacher? Forbidden Fruit(Both biblical and the citrus one?) Atlas? Mandrakes? So much more to list...
Also, isn't Zygarde supposed to be based on the children of Loki? And the leash on Zygarde 10% could be Glepnir...
I believe Oddish is based on a mandrake.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Fixed it for you. At least we can hope BDSP delivers on this front.
As R_N said, we're likely never going to see the "originals". Like, the strange thing about Galar fossils is that not only do they need to be combined, they are ABLE to be combined. Yes, they do make abominations, but it still works which shouldn't be possible if there wasn't something odd going on with them that makes them different from previous gen fossils.

Consider this, previous gen fossils weren't complete either:
  • Omanyte just has its helix shell.
  • Big Aerodactyl comes from a small Old Amber, a reference to Jurassic Park where they got dino DNA from bloodsucking insects which got stuck in tree resin. So either they cut the middlemon and just had a batch of Aerodactyl have parts of themselves get caught in tree resin OR Old Amber has a extinct species of bloodsucking insect Pokemon which primarily prayed upon Aerodactyl; which means we get Aerodactyl from just a few droplets of its blood!
  • Anorith just has its claw.
  • Cranidos & Shieldon just has have their heads.
  • Tirtouga is also just its shell.
  • Archen is just from a feather.
  • Tyrunt only has its lower jaw.
  • Amaura only has the fin from the top of its eye.
YET, despite that, we still get a complete Pokemon when we revive them. Whatever is missing the rejuvenation machine is able to have what DNA strands it gets to regrow it (with a possible side effect of them becoming part Rock-type as the Pokemon's organic matter is mixed in with inorganic matter of the fossil).

So, how come the Galar fossils then need to be combined, especially when the Galar Fossils are more complete than some of the fossils I mentioned above? Heck, if the Old Amber does contain an ancient bloodsucking insect Pokemon, why doesn't IT get revived instead of or along with Aerodactyl (or we get some sort of freak Bug-type insectoid Aerodactyl)? Also think of this: in the real world we have fossils of thousands of prehistoric animals; surely this must be also true for Pokemon yet we only have these handful of Fossil Pokemon we can bring back?

It has to be more than just having the fossil. It could very well be the Fossil Pokemon we're able to bring back is because scientists got lucky and were able to completely map out the DNA of those Pokemon. Maybe they found a batch of complete or nearly complete fossils with most of their organic matter preserved in a recoverable state (via the Pokemon world's super science). They map out the DNA and body structure, program the schematics into the rejuvenation machine, and now any significant fossil piece of that Pokemon can bring it back to life (or at least create an expy of it); it's just for player convenience that all Fossils for one Pokemon are the same. And this is probably a RARE thing, like they may have complete fossils of other ancient Pokemon but unfortunately there's something preventing the Pokemon's DNA from being sequenced. Like if the Old Amber does contain a bloodsucking insect Pokemon with Aerodactyl blood (BTW we know there's normal Aerodactyl fossils so they were able to get a complete DNA sequence of Aerodactyl from that and not the Old Amber, though the blood probably did help), it could be the tree resin damages the insect so much during the preservation process it loses vital organic information thus why it can't be revived along with Aerodactyl.

So, what about the Galar fossils? Not sure where I mentioned it, but I have a theory that the reason we only have half the Galar Fossil Pokemon is maybe because their other half is made from a non-preservable matter. Maybe their other half is entirely made from a soft tissue, or maybe it was entirely made from a solid form of energy. Whatever the case, this missing half cannot be simply recreated from sequencing the DNA of the other half thus the original Galar Fossil Pokemon can't be revived. HOWEVER, Cara discovered that this subset of Fossil Pokemon can have their halves combined with another as lone as one was the head/front and the other was the hind. Of course Cara Liss is careless so, instead of realizing she's combining two different Pokemon together, she thinks she actually figured out what these Pokemon looked like and it just so happens they evolved to have similar parts. :facepalm: Thus, we get the Galar Fossil Pokemon we have now, Fossil Pokemon that on their own are incompletable but have a genetic quirk that lets you "combine" parts of them "together".

You know I think I'll put this in the Mysteries and Conspiracies thread after I post this.

Optical Fibers as well.
  • Vector: We already have some crocodile Pokemon, though I guess technically none that listen to music... OH, wait, you mean computer vector graphics. Yeah, as Sonikku A said, we sort of have Porygon for that (though I wouldn't be opposed to a Vectorman Pokemon).
  • Optical Fibers: Hmm, isn't that what Xurkitree is essentially made of? I mean, that's one reason why they also made it part tree-themed: Optical FIBER.
  • Tiyanak: Vampiric babies? As if GF ever made a Pokemon based on dead children. Anyway, no problem, ADDED!
  • Gungnir: Hmm. Like, I do have a batch of mythical objects on the Myth list including Mjolnir. But is Odin's spear that notable? Reading the Wikipedia page, its mentioned powers either are inclusive to the Vanir gods or an effective weapon used by Odin. It's not like Mjolnir where, while its heavily connected to Thor, it also has plenty of its own mythology behind it and its image has seen use as pendants & drawn symbols. Like, I can see a Pokemon based on Mjolnir, even if they also make a Pokemon based on Thor (who might use the Pokemon based on Mjolnir as their weapon). However if they make a Pokemon based on Odin, it would probably be designed to be wielding a spear it channels power through but the spear is just a tool, not its own Pokemon (unless they have a theme of God Pokemon who wield another Pokemon which is based on their associated weapon).
  • Dvergr: Um, aren't they just dwarves? And I actually do have dwarfs on the list but it's not in the "MYTH/FOLKLORE/FAIRY TALES" subcategory but rather the "CONCEPTS/PHENOMENA" part of "Literature" as "Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs". I figured if they ever did a Pokemon based on dwarfs that'll probably what they would be based on or at least partly (yes, I know, Lord of the Rings and the recent God of War games would beg to differ). I'll tell you what, like with Gungnir, if you feel strongly about it we could put it to a vote to include them or not.
  • Gummy Bears: Not a bad idea, though I'm going to expand upon it a little. ADDED TO "OBJECTS-Non-Plant Food": Wine Gum/Gummies (Bears/Worms/Gumdrops). :bloblul:
  • Dalgonas & Macarons: When it comes to a Pokemon based on a sweet it really needs to be something that stands out. I can see Dalgonas and Macarons becoming a Full Heal Food item (like Lava Cookies, Old Gateau, & Malasadas), but not really their own Pokemon.
  • Lotus: ADDED TO "PLANTS-Flower: Indian/Sacred Lotus": Indian/Sacred Lotus (I was more specific as sometimes its confused with water lillies, aka lily pads, which the Lotad family is based on). :bloblul:
  • Dragon Fruit: Already on there under PLANTS-Food-Fruit as "Pitaya". :blobthumbsup:
  • Teacher: What exactly would a Teacher Pokemon look like? I feel "Teacher" is maybe a bit too ambiguous as technically as long as your teaching someone something you're a "teacher". Like, Oranguru and Slowking probably would make good teachers.
  • Forbidden Fruit: Already on there under MYTH/FOLKLORE/FAIRY TALES-Biblical. :blobthumbsup:
  • Atlas: I'm assuming you mean the Greek Titan that's said to be holding up the sky & heavens? Due to the complexity of how many god and Titans there are in Greek mythology (as well as other Mythologies), I generally don't specify specific deities but rather group them together. So Atlas would fall under "Titans" on the MYTH/FOLKLORE/FAIRY TALES-Southern Europe-Greek/Roman. :blobthumbsup:
  • Mandrakes: Ironmage is correct.
  • Zygarde & Loki's Children: Eh, very loosely. Zygarde feels like a combination of quite a few Norse myths due to its form changes. Also its forms don't really have much to do with Loki's Children aside having its form possibly based on them. So I decided to keep them on the list, maybe some other apocalypse Pokemon group will come along and base themselves more on Loki's Children.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
SMALL UPDATE:

In the Super Form List I made the required changes to take into account the Hisuian Pokemon:
  • Arcanine, Electrode, Typhlosion, Samurott, Lilligant, Zoroark, Braviary, Goodra, Avalugg, and Decidueye were split to include their original and Hisuian variant alongside each other.

• Qwilfish has been changed to "Johtonian Qwilfish".

• Basculin has been changed to "Red/Blue-Stripe Basculin(?)". The "?" is because we don't know if Red/Blue-Stripe can evolve into Basculegion or its only a White-Stripe evolution. If it's later revealed they can they'll be removed from the list, if they can't then the "?" will be removed.

• Wyrdeer, Kleavor, Ursaluna, Basculegion, Sneasler, Overqwil, & Enamorus were added to the Gen VIII list.
* In the Type Combination List I have removed the combinations of "Grass/Electric", "Fighting/Poison" and "Ice/Rock" from the "Done Only By One Family" list.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I noticed that "Alien/Xenomorph" is on the list, but there are 2 Pokemon inspired by them already
Huh, right. I'll remove it.

No, the Twin Heroes don't count, they're natural beings of the Pokemon planet. We either need an Ultra Beast that hunt the Poipole family or something like a space "big game" hunter which is after Eternatus (or I suppose a combination of the two works, like an alien dragon hunter (as in a dragon hunter which is an alien, not a hunter which specifically hunts alien dragons... though I guess in a way it would specialize that anyway being an alien itself)).

MARINE-Fish:
Removed:
Garfish (redundant)
Arapaima/Pirarucu (big fish that can breathe air, kind of describes many fish Pokemon),
Flathead Fish, Northern Stargazer (Stunfisk fulfills their niche)
Paedocypris Progenetica, Pygmy Seahorse (smallest species of fish & seahorse, fun trivia but not sure if anything Pokemon-wise can be done with it)

Changed:
"Emperor Angelfish" to "(Emperor) Angelfish"
"Spotted Handfish" to just "Handfish"

Combined:
Goldfish subgroup: "Bubble Eye", "Celestial Eye", & "Telescope Eye" to "Bubble/Celestial/Telescope Eye"
Goldfish subgroup: "Oranda", "Pearlscale", & "Pompom" to "Oranda/Pearlscale/Pompom"
Shark subgroup: "Greenland Shark" & "Sleeper Shark" to "Greenland/Sleeper Shark"
Sahr subgroup: "Wobbegong/Carpet Shark" & "Zebra Shark" to "Carpet Shark (Wobbegong, Zebra)"

MARINE-Mammal:
Removed:
Harp Seal (covered by Seel family)
Seal subgroup (with the Harp Seal gone I feel I can just place the other two seals under Mammal generally)
Dwarf/Pygmy Sperm Whale (they're just small whales)

Combined:
"Amazon River Dolphin", "(Bottlenose) Dolphin/Porpoise", & "Vaquita/Baiji" to "Dolphin (Amazon River, Baiji/Vaquita, Bottlenose)/Porpoise"

MARINE-Crustacean:
Removed:
Cherax Pulcher (Just a colorful crayfish)
Cleaner Shrimp (Wimpod)
Green-eyed Hermit Crab (replaced by "Hermit Crab with Sea Anemone" as there's a few species)

Changed:
"Galathea (Pilosa)" to "Squat Lobster (Galathea Pilosa)"
"Ostracod" to "Ostracod/Water Flea"
"Calappa (crab)" to "Box Crab/Calappa (crab)"

Combined:
"Green-eyed Hermit Crab" & "Lybia" to "Hermit Crab w/ Sea Anemone (Blanket Hermit Crab, Boxer/Pom-pom Crab)"

Added: Porcelain Crab

MARINE-Sponge/Echinoderm/Clam:
Removed:
Johnson's Sea Cucumber (Pyukumuku)

Combined:
"Basket Star, Brittle Star" to "Brittle Star (Basket Star)"

Changed:
"Comet Star" to "Common Comet Star"
"Webbed Star" to "Bat/Webbed Star"

MARINE-Bug/Microscopic:
Removed:
Triops (Wimpod)
Whale Louse (actually a species of Skeleton Shrimp)

Moved:
Osedax, Planarian, & Sea Mouse to "Bug/Microscopic-Worm"

Changed:
"Tubeworm" to "Giant Tube Worm"

MARINE-Gastropod/Mollusc:
Combined:
Elysia (Atroviridis/Marginata)(gastropod) & Sacoglossa to "Photosynthesis Slugs (Elysia, Sacoglossa)"

Removed:
Sea Hare (Shellos family)

---------

BUG
Changed:
"Blue Worm" & "Fluke" replaced by "Flatworm"

Combined:
"Millipede" & "Pink Dragon Millipede" by "Millipede (Pink Dragon)"

Removed:
Semi-Slug (Sliggoo)
Triboniophorus Aff. Graeffei (Just a brightly colored slug; also niche sort of covered by Shellos)

---------
INSECT: move Springtail to it
---------

INSECT:
Changed:
"Fulgoridae" replaced by "Lanternfly (Fulgora, Pyrops)"

Seperated:
Perisceptis Carnivora

Combined:
"Acanthaspis Petax", "Wheel Bug" with "Assassin Bug (Acanthaspis Petax, Wheel Bug)"
"Armored Ground Cricket", "Eulophophyllum Kirki" with "Bush Cricket (Armoured, Eulophophyllum Kirki, Saga Pedo, Thorny Devil)"
"Brazilian Treehopper", "Treehopper/Thorn Bug" with "Thorn Bug/Treehopper (Brazilian)"
"(Real) Cockroach", "Lucihormetica Luckae" with "Cockroach (Waterbug, Madagascar Hissing, Lucihormetica Luckae)"
"Grasshopper", "Locust" with "(Common) Grasshopper/Locust"

MOTH:
Removed:
Cecropia Moth (Volcarona)

-------

Cell/Micro-Organism:
Removed:
Arcella Gandalfi (Is just the biggest one)
Bacteria/Germ (Too generic)

-------

FUTURE NOTES:
Algae Scrubber (Wimpod)

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I see plenty of people giving the main post some Likes in the past few days. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten, just wanted to finish at least the main story (I'd also say give people some time to play the game themselves but since I play slowly (and many people have no issue just casually revealing spoilers... especially in Youtube thumbnails) just me reaching the ending main story I think is enough time. And yes, I'm on the "Last" story right now). but I can tell you this, already there's plenty of graduates from the list! :blobthumbsup:

(You may have also noticed from my above post I had tried to trim the lists of redundancies & things which actually have been done; once I'm done doing so I'll decide whether to make it its own post or just leave it unsaid)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
As we come close to New Years, and with Pokemon Scarlet & Violet having been out for more than a month now, I think it's time to announce this generations graduates from the list! They have all found their Treasure, becoming a Pokemon, and now and forever will be part of the Pokedex. But no Pokemon comes from the ether, and so below I have listed the Pokemon and what on the list was/could be connected to them which have been removed. Note this possibly isn't a complete list, they are still new and may take time to figure out the full extent of their origins (and arguments whether it counts). So, without further ado:

• Floragato/Meowscarada: Puss in Boots,
  • Fuecoco/Crocalor/Skeledirge: Day of the Dead Skeleton/Skull, Alebrije
  • Quaquaval: Peafowl/Peacock
  • Lechonk: Truffle Hog
  • Tarountula/Spidops: Ballooning (Spider), Orb-Weaver (Spider), Yarn (Ball/Bomb); Net-casting Spider, Knitting
  • Nymble/Lokix: (Common) Grasshopper/Locust
  • Pawmi/Pawmo/Pawmot: Defibrillator
  • Fidough/Dachsbun: Dachshund
  • Smoliv/Dolliv/Arboliva: Olive (Branch), Wreath
  • Squawkabilly: Cockatoo, Parakeet
  • Nacli/Naclstack/Garganacl: Salt
  • Charcadet/Armarouge/Ceruledge: (Magic) Knight/Swordsman
  • Tadbulb/Bellibolt: Light Bulb, Plasma Globe
  • Kilowattrel: Frigatebird
  • Maschiff/Mabosstiff: (English) Mastiff
  • Shroodle/Grafaiai: (Elephant) Shrew, (Pyrenean) Desman, Solenodon, Kilroy Was Here; Aye-aye, Slow Loris
  • Bramblin/Brambleghast: Tumbleweed
  • Toedscool/Toedscruel: Bleeding Tooth Fungus
  • Klawf: Box Crab/Calappa (crab)
  • Capsakid/Scovillain: (Chili) Peppers
  • Rellor/Rabsca: Dung Beetle, Scarab Beetle
  • Espartha: "Real" Ostrich
  • Tinkatink/Tinkatuff/Tinkaton: Gnome, Blacksmith; Gremlin, Tinker Bell
  • Wiglett/Wugtrio: Garden Eel, Giant Tube Worm
  • Bombirdier: (Baby/Egg) Delivery Stork, Bearded Vulture
  • Finizin/Palafin: (Bottlenose) Dolphin
  • Varoom/Revavroom: Engine
  • Cyclizar/Koraidon/Miraidon: Anole, Fan-Throated Lizard, Bicycle/Motorcycle
  • Orthworm: (Earth)worm, (Subway) Train, Mongolian Death Worm, Indus Worm, Sandworm
  • Glimmet/Glimmora: Nightshade
  • Greavard/Houndstone: Mop Dog (Komondor), Pesanta, Votive Candle/Prayer Candle; Tombstone
  • Flamigo: "Real" Flamingo
  • Cetoddle/Cetitan: Baleen/Bowhead/Right Whale, Humpback Whale, Ningen (Japanese/Antarctica)
  • Tatsugiri: Shachihoko
  • Paldean Wooper/Clodsire: Iberian Ribbed Newt
  • Paldean Tauros: Running of the Bulls, Water Bull
  • Farigiraf: Sivatherium
  • Kingambit: Throne
  • Future Paradox Pokemon: Humanoid Robot, Industrial Robot
  • Frigibax/Arctibax/Baxcalibur: Concavenator, Spinosaurus
  • Gimmighoul/Gholdengo: Treasure Chest, Currency (Coin), Dowsing
  • Treasures of Ruin: Four Perils
    * Wo-Chien: Curse Tablet
    * Chien-Pao: Linsang
    * Chi-Yu: Bubble/Celestial/Telescope Eye Goldfish

Any you feel it's about time they made into a Pokemon? Any which surprise you?

Do you think I'm forgetting something? Or have incorrectly assigned something to a Pokemon I shouldn't have?

Make a response and I'll try to respond in a timely matter. I do plan on going through the list, not only to continue to the clean-up project I started above, but also to see if there's anything I may have missed (I have a particular feeling mythical creatures may have been referenced, but we'll see).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Whoops! Forgot to update the Type Combination and Need Super Form lists!

In Type Combination the following changes have been made:
  • Removed from "Not Done Yet"/Added to "Done Only By One Family":
    * Bug/Dark (Lokix)
    * Poison/Normal (Shroodle family)
    * Grass/Fire (Scovillain)
    * Steel/Poison (Varoom family)
    * Ground/Fighting (Great Tusk)
    * Fairy/Fighting (Iron Valiant)

• Completely Removed:
    * Electric/Fighting (Pawmo/Pawmot & Iron Hands)

• Removed from "Done Only By One Family":
    * Grass/Normal (Smoliv)
    * Ground/Grass (Toedscool family)
    * Bug/Psychic (Rabsca)
    * Rock/Poison (Glimmet family)
    * Flying/Fighting (Flamigo)
    * Fighting/Ghost (Annihilape)
    * Ghost/Fairy (Flutter Mane)
    * Electric/Ground (Sandy Shocks)
    * Fire/Poison (Iron Moth)
    * Rock/Electric (Iron Thorns)
    * Dragon/Ice (Frigibax family)
    * Steel/Ghost (Gholdengo)
    * Dark/Ice (Chien-Pao)
    * Dark/Ground (Ting-Lu)
    * Fighting/Dragon (Koraidon)

• Quick Trivia:
    * Fighting, Grass, Electric, & Dark has now been paired with every Type!

In Need Super Form, since this Gen's "Super Mechanic" didn't introduce new Super Forms, there are less updates:
  • Changed the list's name from "Super Form" to "Need Super Form".
  • Added the Gen IX Pokemon (that we know of).
  • Added Paldean Tauros to the Gen I list.
  • Removed the following: Primeape from Gen I; Girafairg & Dunsparce from Gen II; and Bisharp from Gen V.

And I think that's everything for now!

INQUERY!
While doing the Type Combination changes, I began to question whether I should make a new list or two noting the unique Type Combination that only Legendaries and other Special Pokemon have. Do you think this kind of list would be helpful or are the lists fine as they are?

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
INQUERY!
While doing the Type Combination changes, I began to question whether I should make a new list or two noting the unique Type Combination that only Legendaries and other Special Pokemon have. Do you think this kind of list would be helpful or are the lists fine as they are?
I was just thinking about this the other day and yes I do think it would be of interest (to me at least). Off the top of my head, Fire/Water and Psychic/Dragon are still legendary/mythical exclusive iirc? Not 100% on the latter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)