SPOILERS! "What Isn't A Pokemon Yet" Repository (+ Type Combinations & Super Forms)

Man I have a lot to say. First off, I'd like to mention that I feel we do have a bigfoot/yeti Pokemon. Abomasnow is one thing, but Electivire very much looks like it was designed around a yeti. We also have a voodoo doll, obviously- that is Banette. Anyway, as for my ideas-

I see that you put it down under fossils. As a tiger. Really?! Oblivious passers by are just going to think that it's an actual tiger.

The golden lance is a snake that is very venomous and there is a whole island filled with them due to lack of natural predators. I'm also not sure if you have this down, but the sea snake is one I'd like to see put down, as it is easily one of the most venomous snakes we have on the planet, and arguably the most venomous of all. Another one I'm not so sure if you put down is the reptilian, speculated to be shape-shifting reptilian extraterrestrials. A sound-based parasaurolophus as a fossil seems kinda cool.

Mongolian death worm seems interesting, though I'm guessing you have it down. I actually made one up when I was a kid. A poisonous earthworm which I called Poisoworm evolved into a Gastrodon looking abomination called Poidethurm (Poison+Death+Worm).

Something based on cloud formations such as simple thunderclouds, super cells, mammatus clouds, or shelf clouds are all pretty sweet things. As a kid, I also made a Pokemon that was essentially a robot with a body composed of engines and exhaust pipes for limbs.

That's all I have.

OOH! OOOHH! I forgot to mention the pyrosome, which is a colony of small organisms called zooids.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Man I have a lot to say. First off, I'd like to mention that I feel we do have a bigfoot/yeti Pokemon. Abomasnow is one thing, but Electivire very much looks like it was designed around a yeti. We also have a voodoo doll, obviously- that is Banette. Anyway, as for my ideas-

I see that you put it down under fossils. As a tiger. Really?! Oblivious passers by are just going to think that it's an actual tiger.

The golden lance is a snake that is very venomous and there is a whole island filled with them due to lack of natural predators. I'm also not sure if you have this down, but the sea snake is one I'd like to see put down, as it is easily one of the most venomous snakes we have on the planet, and arguably the most venomous of all. Another one I'm not so sure if you put down is the reptilian, speculated to be shape-shifting reptilian extraterrestrials. A sound-based parasaurolophus as a fossil seems kinda cool.

Mongolian death worm seems interesting, though I'm guessing you have it down. I actually made one up when I was a kid. A poisonous earthworm which I called Poisoworm evolved into a Gastrodon looking abomination called Poidethurm (Poison+Death+Worm).

Something based on cloud formations such as simple thunderclouds, super cells, mammatus clouds, or shelf clouds are all pretty sweet things. As a kid, I also made a Pokemon that was essentially a robot with a body composed of engines and exhaust pipes for limbs.

That's all I have.

OOH! OOOHH! I forgot to mention the pyrosome, which is a colony of small organisms called zooids.
1. There is no yeti on the list because, as you said, there are a few yeti-like Pokemon (Abomasnow and to some extent Electivire). Bigfoot/Sasquatch, while a similar creature, is on the list since its background (such as where it lives) is different enough that I feel another Pokemon can be based on it. Disqualifying Bigfoot/Sasquatch because we have a yeti Pokemon is saying we shouldn't have Fennekin because we have Vulpix (both are based on foxes).
2. I'm guessing you're talking about the Tasmanian Tiger? I said I decided to use the most common name people will know it by and for the Thylacine that is the Tasmanian Tiger (named so because it was found in Tasmanian and it had a tiger-like stripe pattern). Though on first glance someone who doesn't know about it may think its a tiger, if say an artist wanted to use it as a basis for their design I imagine they'll do some quick research and doing so will quickly discover its a dog-looking marsupial. At that point they'll either choose another animal or maybe decide to use that as inspiration. However I imagine if GameFreak were to make a Thylacine Pokemon they'd have done their research back and front before even designing the thing (not to mention they'd probably know its not a tiger, I imagine GF knows about PLENTY of animals).
3. We already have Parasaurolophus, Mongolian Death Worm, and Pyrosome Colony.
4. Castform sort of already took the cloud Pokemon idea.
5. The Sea Krait has been changes to Sea Snake/Krait and moved under the Aquatic Reptiles category.
6. Added Golden Lancehead (also making a note of its isolation), Reptilians, & Engine (I know you didn't exactly suggest it, but it's not a bad idea) have been added.

Other Changes:
Combined Tunicates with the Jellyfish sub category making it the Jellyfish/Tunicate sub category under the Aquatic category. Added to it was the Velella (combined with the Man O' War), Predatory Tunicate, and the Pyrosome Colony.

Plan on making more changes soon, just got to compare my list to the thread's list.

1. There is no yeti on the list because, as you said, there are a few yeti-like Pokemon (Abomasnow and to some extent Electivire). Bigfoot/Sasquatch, while a similar creature, is on the list since its background (such as where it lives) is different enough that I feel another Pokemon can be based on it. Disqualifying Bigfoot/Sasquatch because we have a yeti Pokemon is saying we shouldn't have Fennekin because we have Vulpix (both are based on foxes).
2. I'm guessing you're talking about the Tasmanian Tiger? I said I decided to use the most common name people will know it by and for the Thylacine that is the Tasmanian Tiger (named so because it was found in Tasmanian and it had a tiger-like stripe pattern). Though on first glance someone who doesn't know about it may think its a tiger, if say an artist wanted to use it as a basis for their design I imagine they'll do some quick research and doing so will quickly discover its a dog-looking marsupial. At that point they'll either choose another animal or maybe decide to use that as inspiration. However I imagine if GameFreak were to make a Thylacine Pokemon they'd have done their research back and front before even designing the thing (not to mention they'd probably know its not a tiger, I imagine GF knows about PLENTY of animals).
3. We already have Parasaurolophus, Mongolian Death Worm, and Pyrosome Colony.
4. Castform sort of already took the cloud Pokemon idea.
5. The Sea Krait has been changes to Sea Snake/Krait and moved under the Aquatic Reptiles category.
6. Added Golden Lancehead (also making a note of its isolation), Reptilians, & Engine (I know you didn't exactly suggest it, but it's not a bad idea) have been added.

Other Changes:
Combined Tunicates with the Jellyfish sub category making it the Jellyfish/Tunicate sub category under the Aquatic category. Added to it was the Velella (combined with the Man O' War), Predatory Tunicate, and the Pyrosome Colony.

Plan on making more changes soon, just got to compare my list to the thread's list.
1. Yeah, I kinda see that. Electivire kinda reminds me of a bigfoot too though. Idk.

2. The Tasmanian "Tiger" is a marsupial with a canine like appearance. It's like calling a numbat the miniature tiger. I don't even care if people most commonly call it the "tiger." Surely, an animal as brilliant as the thylacine does not deserve to misidentified in this matter.

3. Wow, all of the good ideas are taken. But seriously, it would be so freaking awesome to have a Mongolian Death Worm.

4. Castform is teru-teru bozu. Not a cloud. He changes forms based on weather particles or something. Either way, he's not a cloud.

5. No comment.

6. Thanks. It's hard to think of stuff when people keep taking the good ideas.... Kinda surprised nobody put down reptilian though.

Yeah, I had a similar thought about the Mongolian Death Worm. There is so much opportunity here to create a Pokémon that can learn a decent variety of moves.

I also had an idea where I had a naked mole rat turn into a star nosed mole- which turned into a bigger star noised mole called Starmolse. I think the name is awesome.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
If you want to discuss fictional Pokémon, the best way to do so is sketch up a drawing and open a thread in Smeargle's Studio. That's our place for artsy stuff, where the pencils dance all night and the ink never stops flowing. OI concerns itself with existing aspects of the Pokémon franchise. This thread as a whole is completely fine, as an analysis of the franchise so far, but if anybody want to propose new designs, names, moves or any other stuff, we kindly ask you to go to Smeargle's instead.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Tazonite:
1. Honestly Electivire just a typical hairy ape-like monster like the Yeti and Sasquatch, there's nothing really relating it to one or the other. Also, another thing to note about Sasquatch is that its nickname Bigfoot. Electivire's feet are pretty small if its suppose to be a Bigfoot.
2. I said it was a marsupial. Also it was agreed early in this thread that we'd use the most common name for the animal, using its scientific if there isn't one. And as I said, you just need to look up Tasmanian Tiger to know its not a tiger, many animals have names of other animals they aren't. If it bothers you that much we can put it up to a vote.
4. Castform is a teru teru bozu... and a cloud. What would a cloud Pokemon do that Castform doesn't? Castform changes forms depending on the weather and it resembles different kinds of clouds. Normal Castform is a cumulus, Sunny is a cirrus (since its head is now the sun), and Rainy & Snowy are two types of nimbus clouds. Yes there are more kinds of clouds, but are they so different they need another Pokemon based on them? If anything you want more Castform forms. We do still need a form for Sandstorm, Strong Wind (while only made by Delta Stream, if popular enough they could make a weaker version), and Fog (if they bring that back).
6. Yeah, the list pretty much is filled out by the most obvious stuff by now.

Codraroll:
Yeah, as an offhand comment of a Pokemon you made up while making suggestions, while on the edge of crossing the line, I was fine letting pass as long as it wasn't the focus of the post (though I preferred no one to do it). However please don't specifically talk about Pokemon you've made up. The point of the thread was to gather list of animals, things, and concepts that could possibly be made into a Pokemon, not actually creating a Pokemon ourselves.

Reactions: JES
Tazonite:
1. Honestly Electivire just a typical hairy ape-like monster like the Yeti and Sasquatch, there's nothing really relating it to one or the other. Also, another thing to note about Sasquatch is that its nickname Bigfoot. Electivire's feet are pretty small if its suppose to be a Bigfoot.
2. I said it was a marsupial. Also it was agreed early in this thread that we'd use the most common name for the animal, using its scientific if there isn't one. And as I said, you just need to look up Tasmanian Tiger to know its not a tiger, many animals have names of other animals they aren't. If it bothers you that much we can put it up to a vote.
4. Castform is a teru teru bozu... and a cloud. What would a cloud Pokemon do that Castform doesn't? Castform changes forms depending on the weather and it resembles different kinds of clouds. Normal Castform is a cumulus, Sunny is a cirrus (since its head is now the sun), and Rainy & Snowy are two types of nimbus clouds. Yes there are more kinds of clouds, but are they so different they need another Pokemon based on them? If anything you want more Castform forms. We do still need a form for Sandstorm, Strong Wind (while only made by Delta Stream, if popular enough they could make a weaker version), and Fog (if they bring that back).
6. Yeah, the list pretty much is filled out by the most obvious stuff by now.

Codraroll:
Yeah, as an offhand comment of a Pokemon you made up while making suggestions, while on the edge of crossing the line, I was fine letting pass as long as it wasn't the focus of the post (though I preferred no one to do it). However please don't specifically talk about Pokemon you've made up. The point of the thread was to gather list of animals, things, and concepts that could possibly be made into a Pokemon, not actually creating a Pokemon ourselves.
1. I don't thing bigfoot is supposed to have big feet. Electivire's look decent enough for size. I'm just saying he has similar characteristics.
2. Was just joking around, though the name Tasmanian tiger is a bit of a pet peeve.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
1. I don't thing bigfoot is supposed to have big feet. Electivire's look decent enough for size. I'm just saying he has similar characteristics.
2. Was just joking around, though the name Tasmanian tiger is a bit of a pet peeve.
1. That kinds of defeats the point of it being called bigfoot. Otherwise its just a giant ape, really nothing different about it. Like the defining point of the yeti is that it lives in the freezing mountains, otherwise its also just a giant ape.
2. I would like to use the scientific/"actual" name for some animals, but since this thread is meant to tell people what things haven't been made into Pokemon I think just using its common name is the best option. Then again, now that things have slowed down I guess it wouldn't hurt to maybe give the actual name of some animals. I doubt the list is going to get any bigger than it is now.

Additions & Changes:
I added Sea Hare, Pyura Chilensis, Fairyfly, Giraffe Weevil, Locust, Thelyphonida, Cellular, Pekingese, Chrysopelea, Teiidae, Horned Frog, Space Whale, Little alien controlling machine body, Wapaloosie, & Ahuizotl (creature)
2. I moved the Backswimmer from the Bug Category to the Aquatic Bug subcategory.
3. Changed Glyptodon to Glyptodon/Doedicurus.

Pikachu315111 The Chesnaught line are based on multiple mammals, one of them being the glyptodon, which you listed, although it is not very obvious until you look closely at the chestnut-like shell. Chespin and Quilladin, however, are more of an ambiguous mix between hedgehog and armadillo.

Some other examples that might be obvious to some, but not others, include Forretress. It's a bagworm taking on the form of a walnut, while its Prevo is self-explanatory.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Pikachu315111 The Chesnaught line are based on multiple mammals, one of them being the glyptodon, which you listed, although it is not very obvious until you look closely at the chestnut-like shell. Chespin and Quilladin, however, are more of an ambiguous mix between hedgehog and armadillo.

Maybe if you squint your eyes it vaguely looks like a Glyptodon, but that just sounds like someone trying hard to relate it to a prehistoric animal so that if fulls more in-line with the theme of the previous Grass-types being reptilian/dinosaur.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So in addition to adding things onto the list here and there I decide to also add in a list of type combinations that haven't been done yet or have only been done by one Pokemon family. While there isn't much else to add I do have some questions I want to ask you. There are a few Pokemon which, while technically separate species, are closely related to another one and it just so happens they share a unique type together. So I ask you four questions:

Do Nidoking & Nidoqueen count as one family? (would add Poison/Ground to the list)
Do Solrock & Lunatone count as one family? (would add Rock/Psychic to the list)
Do Carbink & Diancie count as one family? (would add Rock/Fairy to the list)
Do Latios & Latias count as one family? (would add Dragon/Psychic to the list)

Also should alternate forms count or should they also not count like Mega Evolutions and Pre-Evolutions?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So in addition to adding things onto the list here and there I decide to also add in a list of type combinations that haven't been done yet or have only been done by one Pokemon family. While there isn't much else to add I do have some questions I want to ask you. There are a few Pokemon which, while technically separate species, are closely related to another one and it just so happens they share a unique type together. So I ask you four questions:

Do Nidoking & Nidoqueen count as one family? (would add Poison/Ground to the list)

Also should alternate forms count or should they also not count like Mega Evolutions and Pre-Evolutions?
Yes to the Nidos because you can get both from a Nidoran female's egg, no to the rest because they are not related via breeding.

Also get rid of the colored text in the OP, it hurts to read if there's too much and non-badged users should not be able to access it.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Um Latios and Latias are confirmed twins from multiple sources... to say that they aren't in the same family is kinda wrong.

I would also argue that since diancie is a confirmed mutated carbink, that they are from the same family.

Re: question: afaik alternate formes that change type is limited to hoopa and meloetta, but they should be counted like Megas imo. Unless you can have them as separate formes outside of battle (like shaymin).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Also get rid of the colored text in the OP, it hurts to read if there's too much and non-badged users should not be able to access it.
I got rid of the colors on the list part since they did make things look like a mess (thought they would make searching for a certain type easier in the list). However I kept the color on the title types to help show when a new list has started (plus to make it look nice. Color never hurt anyone :P).

Re: question: afaik alternate formes that change type is limited to hoopa and meloetta, but they should be counted like Megas imo. Unless you can have them as separate formes outside of battle (like shaymin).
When I say alternate forms I also mean Rotom, Wormadam, and Shaymin too (and any other Pokemon with an alternate form that has a type change).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Come to think of it, why bother keeping a list of single-use typings? If they exist they exist, I don't see the point in thread dedicated to stuff that hasn't been used at all.

I would say that the nidos should count as one family, while all the others should count as two. My reasoning is that one evolutionary line can breed and make members of the other evolutionary line, so they are similar enough (that logic can also apply to some other pokemon iirc, but I don't think that any of the others have a unique typing).

Also, alternate forms should count if that form can be obtained outside of battle and kept (i.e. Rotom's forms, Shaymin-Sky), but if that form can only be accessed by something within battle from the base form (i.e. Mega Evolution, Meloetta) then it should not count.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Come to think of it, why bother keeping a list of single-use typings? If they exist they exist, I don't see the point in thread dedicated to stuff that hasn't been used at all.
While they do exist they're use would be restricted to the stats, movepool, and Abilities of the only Pokemon that has it. A type combination that at least has two Pokemon family with it will possibly and probably play differently thus the advantages and disadvantages of the types will play a big role. But if only one Pokemon has the type the advantages and disadvantages of the type play a lesser role as its the only competition in town.

Let's continue the cryptid list. Mothman (think something Human-Like with moth wings), a proper hellhound (Houndour family is mostly based on the mundane doberman and only drawing its typing from a hellhound), bunyip, dingonek (a jungle walrus, apparently), kelpie (the argument of Keldeo being inspired by the kelpie feels rather weak, as Keldeo's similarities are it being horse in appearance and being water type.), the kraken, and trolls.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Oriolous:
1. Mothman and Kraken has been added (surprised we didn't have them on the list already)
2. I don't see how the Houndour family aren't hellhounds.
3. Keldeo is a representation of all mythical water horses, the Kelpie being one of them. Yes Keldeo doesn't act like one, but if that was a factor of this list many animals and mythical creatures that have been made into Pokemon would be put on this list. Pokemon is just an interpretation of an animal/myth, it might not be exact and only take bits from the animal/myth but its still based on that animal/myth.
4. Troll I feel is a bit too broad of a creature. You can say many Pokemon are troll-like like Sableye and the Whismur family. That said we do have "Trolling" on the list of concepts.
5. Bunyip & Dingonek are already on the list.

Also I've been making another list of mythical creatures myself to add. I'm not quite done yet and was going to add it without much mention though if this thread is getting attention again I may post the new additions. If you're curious of what other little additions I might have made I think I put most of the news ones at the end of lists.

Oriolous:
1. Mothman and Kraken has been added (surprised we didn't have them on the list already)
2. I don't see how the Houndour family aren't hellhounds.
3. Keldeo is a representation of all mythical water horses, the Kelpie being one of them. Yes Keldeo doesn't act like one, but if that was a factor of this list many animals and mythical creatures that have been made into Pokemon would be put on this list. Pokemon is just an interpretation of an animal/myth, it might not be exact and only take bits from the animal/myth but its still based on that animal/myth.
4. Troll I feel is a bit too broad of a creature. You can say many Pokemon are troll-like like Sableye and the Whismur family. That said we do have "Trolling" on the list of concepts.
5. Bunyip & Dingonek are already on the list.

Also I've been making another list of mythical creatures myself to add. I'm not quite done yet and was going to add it without much mention though if this thread is getting attention again I may post the new additions. If you're curious of what other little additions I might have made I think I put most of the news ones at the end of lists.
Sableye is more goblinish. Hopkinsville Goblin, specifically (well, it's an alien, but still). But in any case, I see your point. :P

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Don't know if these have been addressed yet, but:

-Scissors: Yes, yes, I know Scizor is named after them, but let's be honest--it has absolutely nothing in common with these delightful utensils.

-Flags.

-Books/Scrolls/Parchments/Texts. -Unown is based off of the alphabet itself, not any receptacles for said alphabet.

-Currency (Bills, Doubloons, Bullion, Wampum, etc.) Just noticed only Coins were listed when there are many different forms of currency used by humans.

-Computer.

-Game Systems (Nintendo) - I don't think it's too much of a leap to imagine Game Freak inserting some overt nods to their higher-ups over at Nintendo into the game. Speaking of Which:

-Game References might as well just be made into a single item and moved to Concepts, there's an infinitely long list of things from games which could be referenced through Pokemon.

-Hamhock / Lamb Chop / Pork Chop: I can imagine a sheep Pokemon being made ironically out of a lamb chop, or something of that vein.

-Emu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)