What UU pokemon are least common BUT have potential?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Speaking of things outclassed by Raikou... (I said for the sole fact that I knew it would piss you off. I realize that Raichu has its own niche.)

Anyway, I was going to say Manectric. While all of its stats are worse than Raikou's, and it can't run a Calm Mind set, but everyone know it gets the wonderful move called Switcheroo. And also unlike Raikou, it actually has a somewhat decent movepool, and when these things are combined, it can run a Choice set much better than Raikou. I would prefer Specs over Scarf personally.
You slime!
But I digress. Specs Manetric huh?

Besides Switcharoo, I would assume you would Manetric over Raikou because of overheat.

You slime!

But I digress. Specs Manetric huh?

Besides Switcharoo, I would assume you would Manetric over Raikou because of overheat.
Pretty much. With Overheat/Flamethrower hitting Grass-types, Manectric can use HP Grass, which gives it much better coverage than Raikou. While it does get walled by Altaria without HP Ice (and still Chansey), it can use Switcheroo to cripple it (and Chansey).

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Keep in mind that you're losing a lot of speed, a little bit of power, CM, and bulk for a couple of neat tricks.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's Manetric's trump card though. Not many people expect a electric type to use a fire type move/Switcheroo.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
The age old question of just how useful surprise/novelty sets are. Lose something, potential gains= risk.
True, but Manetric and Raichu aren't "Outright" novelties. They can be useful in their own right. Now a novelty is using something like mixed Milotic or something random like that.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's not novelty, that's just a very bad idea. Milotic doesn't have decent attack or a good physical movepool to take advantage of it, and it's not like it'll help it against any of its counters.

Manectric will have to get a lot of game-changing surprise Switcheroos to justify the fact that Raikou undermines its existence statistically. I've considered Raichu, but its only decent stat is speed, which rests at a modest base 100.

If you want an Electric type that does a great deal of damage or, furthermore, sweeps, you might as well use Raikou. When using the others, just make sure their unique "advantages" are important enough of an asset to the entire team that would warrant using them over the best special sweeper in UU.

Since there's a whole discussion over Manectric:

Switcheroo Manectric
252 SPA/ 252 SPE/ 4 HP
-Switcheroo
-Overheat
-HP Grass
-Thunderbolt

I'm going for an NU team.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
That's not novelty, that's just a very bad idea. Milotic doesn't have decent attack or a good physical movepool to take advantage of it, and it's not like it'll help it against any of its counters.

Manectric will have to get a lot of game-changing surprise Switcheroos to justify the fact that Raikou undermines its existence statistically. I've considered Raichu, but its only decent stat is speed, which rests at a modest base 100.

If you want an Electric type that does a great deal of damage or, furthermore, sweeps, you might as well use Raikou. When using the others, just make sure their unique "advantages" are important enough of an asset to the entire team that would warrant using them over the best special sweeper in UU.
To true. I myself wish Raichu was a bit faster. You can make good use of Raichu's sub punch set, something that isn't outclassed by Raikou at all.

(about the Milotic thing I mixed up novelty with just plain bad. It was more or less a joke.)

Manectric is actually pretty good when used in NU.
I have never used him in UU and I doubt if he has the power to be an actual sweeper there. If you really need pokemon with Trick/ Switcheroo but are unexpected use something like Trick-Scarf Froslass or Switcheroo-Specs Hypno.

I got a question with some UU/NU pokemon.

If the pokemon is UU, and it has a move set listed here as "OU Tank" or something along those lines, you can't use it in UU? Or is is just listed there to demonstrate that the pokemon is good for OU?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
If it has a set labeled OU Tank, you can certainly use the set in UU. However it was made for OU play originally.

Oh alright then...so technically wouldn't that be a better set since it can be used in OU, yet others cannot be "handled" as good in OU? Or is it more that the pokemon in OU are completely different then the ones in UU?

It means the set was intended to counter or check common OU threats. If it is focused on OU threats, it probably wouldn't do so good against UU threats. In UU, you would be better off using the set meant for UU play.

It could still work because many OU Pokemon have "little brothers" in UU, meaning a Pokemon with the same purpose and/or typing. For example, a Pokemon meant to counter Gyarados could counter Feraligatr, a Pokemon meant to counter Infernape could counter Blaziken, a Pokemon meant to counter Jolteon could counter Raikou, etc.

Tangrowth is perfect for heavy stall teams: Leech Seed/Giga Drain/Knock Off/Earthquake. Tangrowth takes physical hits, Chansey takes special hits. Leech Seed and Knock Off are also great for taking on almost ANY threat. You can't counter every pokemon, but a seeded pokemon with no item AND with a status (from your teammates) is gonna die ;D

PK Gaming

Persona 5
You know what's a monster? Physical wall Leafeon. I was recently destroyed by one, and with a defensive core it can be hard to take down. It's typing makes it an excellent wall against physical sweepers.

It could still work because many OU Pokemon have "little brothers" in UU, meaning a Pokemon with the same purpose and/or typing. For example, a Pokemon meant to counter Gyarados could counter Feraligatr, a Pokemon meant to counter Infernape could counter Blaziken, a Pokemon meant to counter Jolteon could counter Raikou, etc.
But what if the Pokémon can only counter Gyarados because of its double Electric weakness? What if it can barely survive a hit, but outspeeds Gyarados and 2HKO's? Against Feraligatr, it barely survives the hit, but only hits Feraligatr once because of Aqua Jet.

What if the counter for Jolteon barely survives a hit and KO's back? If they could barely survive a hit from Jolteon's base 110 Special Attack, they wouldn't be able to survive the same hit from Raikou's base 115.

The "little brother" Pokémon may be outclassed by the OU Pokémon, but at the same time they're far from slightly weaker clones.

The key word in the statement was "could." There's no need to pick at it as if it were an essay. It was just a theory.

Nobody said Toxicroak? NP Toxicroak destroys everything once you send it in on a Milotic or any bulky water for that matter. Let it get one NP in, and its Sludge Bomb can OHKO so many pokemon including things like Mesprit. If it gets two (happens if the person makes the mistake of resting on Toxicroak as it NPs twice. Then it can OHKO Cresselia with a Sludge Bomb. When I first thought of using it I though, "It's going to be the weak link of the team." When I tried it, it ended up getting several kills per match. I fought some notable people here with it (PK Gaming and some others), and it was simply amazing. Too bad it's really underrated seeing how it can easily be overlooked with a simple look at its movepool and finding how it has to resort to Poison for an attacking type. It's not that bad.

Two sets on my fav. sweeper of my UU team: Clefable

Clefable @ Toxic Orb
Belly Drum
Facade
Fire Punch
Softboiled

and

Clefable @ Life Orb
Belly Drum
Double Edge
Fire Punch
Softboiled

The best thing about clefable is it's natural bulk and the ability magic guard. (No damage from LO or Toxic Orb)

The reason I add the Facade set is because Toxic Orb prevents you from being paralyzed which will end your sweep with clefable.

Two sets on my fav. sweeper of my UU team: Clefable

Clefable @ Toxic Orb
Belly Drum
Facade
Fire Punch
Softboiled

and

Clefable @ Life Orb
Belly Drum
Double Edge
Fire Punch
Softboiled

The best thing about clefable is it's natural bulk and the ability magic guard. (No damage from LO or Toxic Orb)

The reason I add the Facade set is because Toxic Orb prevents you from being paralyzed which will end your sweep with clefable.
I love this absolutely dominates stall could you post ev's?

Torterra

Rock Polish specifically

@life orb
Adamant
252 atk - 252 Speed
-RP
-Wood Hammer
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Crunch

Wrecks house, stab EQ and Wood hammer. When overgrow activates your nearly guaranteed a kill with wood hammer

Liechi berry is optional

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)