What's this? A Spiritomb in OU?

For lack of a better name.​

Introduction:

Sometimes, the team you set out to build doesn't work out quite like you wanted it to. Both this team, and my previous team both ended up not using the first Pokemon I added. Luckily for me, the changes to this team were for the better. So, despite things not turning out how I had planned, I've ended up with probably my best team to date.

Team-Building Process

I started off with SD Virizion because I heard he was a great threat to Rain teams.

Next, I added Gastrodon to complete the destruction of rain teams. Gastrodon also walled Rain Jirachi and Dragonite, two Pokemon that gave my previous team trouble.

Then, Heatran was added as a check to Sun teams.

Later, Skarmory was added as a Physical wall.

Jirachi was added to counter some more Special threats such as Tornadus and Reuniclus.

In order to check Mixnape, Toxicroak, and Sun teams further, I added Latios.

I stuck with this line-up for a while and it did fairly well, but it came to my attention that Terrakion and Gyarados could dominate my team and Virizion didn't really add to much, so I replaced Jirachi and Virizion with Scizor and Ferrothorn, respectively. These new Pokemon could do pretty much the same jobs as their predecessors, in addition to covering my previous threats.

After finding out that Lucario could sweep Skarmory, I added Gengar, who could do pretty much the same thing that Latios was doing, in addition to checking Luke.

After playing around a bit, I decided to replace Gengar with Dragonite to further check Sun teams. I changed Heatran to Scarftran to cover the things that Gengar checked. Now I'm not swept by Sun teams with Ground coverage moves, but am weaker to Ice Punch Toxicroak.

I switched Skarmory and Scizor for Gliscor and Spiritomb. I wanted to be able to switch something into Terrakion's attacks, so I replaced Scizor and Skarmory, who did about the same thing as Gliscor. Then, I added Spiritomb to cover the Fighting types and Reuniclus that gave Gliscor trouble. Now I can switch into Terrakion's attacks, have more offense with taunt+sd, and can spread burns. However, I lose out on Scizor's scouting/revenge killing and Skarmory's hazards/phazing.

I replaced Gliscor with Slowbro to better check Landorus.

I didn't need Gastrodon anymore, but did need a spinner, so Tentacruel was added.
The Team:

Ferrothorn (F)

Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
Leech Seed
Gyro Ball
Power Whip
Stealth Rock
Description: Ferrothorn is here to check Latios, Gyarados, Kingdra, and other various Water and Dragon types that Gliscor and Gastrodon need help taking down. SR is for wearing down opponents; especially sun teams. I have been considering running T-Wave over Gyro Ball, but I'm pretty iffy about it. T-Wave lets me spread status around; slowing down and sometimes stopping my opponent from moving. Gyro Ball lets me hit fast, boosted Pokemon harder than Power Whip; like Dragons after a Dragon Dance. I run SR on her because she can continue to set up rocks on Starmie while wearing it down with Iron Barbs. She's female in case of people who try to catch me off-guard with Rivalry Haxorus. At least one of her weaknesses to Fire and Fighting is taken care of by the rest of the team.

Heatran (M)

Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spa / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
Fire Blast
HP Rock
Earth Power
Dragon Pulse
Description: Heatran is my main Sun check. He also functions as a revenge killer. I used to run a Specially Defensive set, but switched to Scarftran to check things like Hydreigon, Infernape, and out-speeds Ninetales and unboosted Volcarona. I tried Overheat, but switched to Fire Blast because I was tired of being used as set-up-bait. I have HP rock for Volcarona. Dragon Pulse is for Dragons like Hydreigon. Earth Power is mostly filler, but it does let me hit opposing Heatrans. I'm considering running HP Grass now that I have Dragonite, but for now I'm keeping HP Rock to check Volcarona with HP Rock. Similar to Ferrothorn, at least one of his weaknesses to Water, Fighting, and Ground is covered by each member of the rest of the team.

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
Toxic Spikes
Scald
Rapid Spin
Ice Beam
Description: After reaching the acceptance stage of grief, I knew it was time to replace my useless Gastrodon. Ferrothorn was doing everything Gastrodon was doing, except hope to burn Scizor with Scald and check Gengar. I'd been getting tired of hazards, so Tentacruel was the perfect fit. Not only was Tentacruel a spinner that could check Gengar, but he's also a bulky Water with access to Toxic Spikes. I run 40 SPE EVs to outrun people who think they're cool by having 80 SPE EVs on their Gliscors, while still having some Physical bulk. I have Liquid Ooze because I don't run Rain and it's to troll some Giga Drain users. At least one of his weaknesses to Electric, Psychic, and Ground are covered by each member of the rest of my team.

Dragonite (M)

Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Roost
Description: I got tired of being trolled by Sun teams with Ground coverage moves. I was recommended to switch Gengar for Dragonite. Now that I run Heatran, the only things Gengar was contributing were spin-blocking and checking SubPunch Toxicroak. I felt that having a better check against Sun teams was worth it, so Dragonite was added. I'm unsure of what set to use and would appreciate feedback. For now, I'm going with Bulky DD because of personal preference. I've decided to use bulky EVs to wall Volcarona/Ninetales/Venusaur longer and still be able to sweep. I'm going with EQ over Fire Punch because Skarmory/Bronzong/Ferrothorn are easier to take care of than Heatran for my team, not to mention that I don't have max Attack Outrage. I also have Lum to save sweeps, but might use Lefties. His Ice and Dragon weaknesses are covered by Heatran, Slowbro, and Ferrothorn.

Slowbro (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Scald
Flamethrower
Ice Beam
Slack Off
Description: While I was able to handle Landorus by switching to Heatran when an HP Ice was going to occur, having a more reliable check was much better. Slowbro is my go-to Physical wall, while also having nice offensive prowess. I use Slowbro to check many Fighting types such as Conkeldurr, Lucario, Terrakion, etc, in addition to other Physical threats like Metagross and Landorus. I have Flamethrower to make up for replacing Gliscor by killing Scizor. With Slack Off, Regenerator, and Leftovers, Slowbro gets insane ammounts of recovery. His weaknesses to Bug, Dark, Electric, and Grass are covered by Heatran, Gastrodon, Ferrothorn, and Dragonite.

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power [Fighting]
Will-O-Wisp
Taunt
Description: Spiritomb is an interesting Pokemon. I primarily use him to check Toxicroak and Scrafty while trolling Reuniclus all day. Spiritomb also helps me keep SR up by spin-blocking. I'd liken Spiritomb to Reuniclus. The two have the same bulk, iirc. The pros of Reuniclus are CM, Recover, and Magic Guard. Meanwhile, the pros of Spiritomb are better Defensive and Offensive typing in addition to WOW. I run just enough IVs to be slower than Conkeldurr and still have 70 BP HP Fighting. I used to run Pain Split, but never used it. Taunt it much better for checking BU Scrafty, which used to be a pain.

Closing​

Well, that's it. Thanks for taking the time to look at my team. This is the best team I've made to date, with no major flaws. I conveniently left out the part where I tried about three Celetran variations during team-builing.

Hey,

Swords Dance Lucario looks to be a major pain in the butt for you, since it can literally OHKO your entire team if Stealth Rock is up with just Close Combat and Extremespeed. This looks to be pretty major, and the only way to check it without really messing with the synergy this team has is to use Choice Scarf Heatran:

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Flash Fire | Timid
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Overheat / HP Ice / Earth Power / Flamethrower
Heatran now fixes your weakness to Swords Dance Lucario admirably, easily surviving an Extremespeed while lashing out with Fire Blast or Earth Power. As an added plus, you also check any Choice Band Dragonite (provided Multiscale is inactive - you might have to sac something first :/ ), as well as any DDNite without Waterfall! If you decide to use Stealth Rock, you can switch Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn for something else, like Gyro Ball. Honestly, this is the only glaring flaw I could find with the team - you honestly have most of the major threats covered, so it's all just a matter of playstyle. GL!

edit: Yeah got that harsha

By the way, just a nitpick, but you have to use a Timid nature on the set NatGeo recommend if you use it.

With so many hazards on the line you need a spin blocker. What's awesome though is that your spin blocker can be a check to fighting types! IMHO opinion Sub-Disable Gengar will fit this role perfectly, being able to take on Conkledurr, Infernape, and Rapid Spinners (paticularly Tentacruel and Forretress) with ease. Starmie will be more difficult to stop, but I have found that Ferrothorn, which is already on your team, a great stop to Starmie's Rapid Spin with Iron Barbs.

[pimg]94[/pimg]
Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

@NatGeo, ah, thanks. I don't think I've had a problem with Luke, and had assumed that Skarmory took care of it, but after running the damage calcs, I saw that this was a huge problem. However, since I'm probably going to go with ThePillsburyDoughBoy's suggestion of Gengar over Latios, I think Luke will be less of a problem.
@TPDB, Gengar sounds like it can do the things that Latios was doing, plus spinblocking like you mentioned, so I'll be doing that, thanks.

I appreciate the help everybody.

Even with the Gengar addition, you're still weak to BU Conkeldurr (the Sub + Disable trick doesn't work against good players who Mach Punch as you Disable), and as far as I'm concerned, Terrakion as well, because you're relying on a 70% accurate move that doesn't even KO if sandstorm is up to boost Terra's SpD. You have Scizor but Terra can switch out and gets another kill the next time it comes in. Gengar is also a pretty terrible spin-blocker that cannot stand up to the likes of Starmie and (in the rain) Tentacruel. Try running a bulky Gliscor in Latios/Gengar's place [moveset: Swords Dance | Earthquake | Ice Fang | Taunt / Protect]. He's one of the best counters to Conk / Terrak, and is a solid weapon against stall teams. He fits in well with the strategy of this team, and in conjunction with Skarmory, shuts down every physical attacker in the game.

As for a minor change, try running Leftovers on Heatran. Air Balloon is a terrible item for a defensive Pokemon that is going to be switching in on alot of attacks, and you've got his Ground weakness covered well with your other team members. Tran needs all the recovery he can get, which is why I'm also recommending Protect > Earth Power, which is surprisingly efficient at keeping him healthy, and it also scouts the intentions of choice users such as Scarf Landorus or Specs Latios.

With Gliscor, I become weak to Infernape, not to mention that he gets 2HKO'd by Terrakion's Stone Edge anyway. I can currently handle Terrakion and Conkeldurr with this line-up, but with Gliscor I have no chance at stopping Mixnape. However, I will be trying out the Lefties/Protect Heatran suggestion. Thanks for the help.

Hey there.

Entry hazards seem like they can cause your team problems, constantly wearing down your walls and such. Ferrothorn seems unnecessary since Gastrodon can easily handle Water-types and such; Heatran can also beat Dragon-types. By running a Forretress over Ferrothorn, you can retain your ability to set up Spikes and also help Skarmory defeat physical attackers, in addition to gaining the ever-useful Rapid Spin. Forretress can also set up Toxic Spikes, and provide your team with momentum through the use of Volt Switch. Also, since it is much easier for Skarmory to set them up, Skarmory should have Spikes and Forretress should have Stealth Rock.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Bold nature
252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
-Toxic Spikes
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Volt Switch

Finally, run Recover over Surf on Latios. Hidden Power Fire covers steels, and Dragon Pulse can do a good chuck to most things that Surf hits regardless. Recover ets Latios recover its HP and stay as healthy as possible, whic his very important since it is your main answer to Volt-Turn cores.

Overall, solid team. Hope I helped, and good luck!

Forretress would be nice, but it doesn't check Gyarados or Kingdra like Ferrothorn did. Before I had Ferrothorn, these Pokemon trolled my team, and I know Forretress wouldn't help against them. Also, I'm no longer running Latios, but thanks anyway.

However, I am switching SR and Spikes on Ferrothorn and Skarmory because Ferrothorn can keep setting up rocks while chipping away at Starmie's health with Iron Barbs and SR is more important to have up.

I have mixed feelings about Lefties+Protect Heatran. Common Sun Pokemon with Ground moves are now more of a problem then they were before, but I do like the scouting and recovery. I'm tempted to run a scarf set with Overheat, HP Rock, Dragon Pulse, and Earth Power/Flamethrower.

Thanks for the rates people.

Hey

Solid team man, it basically covers majority of the big threats in the current metagame. One major problem with this team it lacks rapid spin support. Opposing teams could potentially stall you with hazards damage and wait for the perfect opportunity to sweep accordingly, which could be problematic as your team fuctions better if you keep them away from your field. Latios seems like the most obvious mon to be replaced, losing it would be crucial but in order to compete with the current metagame it needs to be gone. I would recommend running Starmie over Latios. Starmie fits in your team perfectly and will provide almost the similar role as Latios. The key to Starmie's effectiveness as a Rapid Spinner is its potent offensive ability, as most people would not switch a Ghost-type into Starmie for fear of a powerful Life Orb boosted attack, meaning that it actually has a pretty good chance of bluffing an offensive set and getting a free Rapid Spin off. Another big threat for your team is Gyarados which intends to be usually used under rain. It can easily set up on Gastrodon as Scald and Ice Beam won’t be breaking its subsitutes, Skarmory also can’t wall it efficiently due to the fact that opposing Waterfall under rain would be doing a huge chunk after +1, Ferrothorn also fails to stand up against it as you’ll need to hit 2 Power Whips to break it sub, Heatran and Scizor are threatened by Waterfall and Latios would get OHKO’d by Adamant Bounce after +1. This is where Starmie comes into play, it can easily defeat Gyarados as Bounce won’t OHKO it with Jolly Nature and it can shut down Adamant variants as well. A moveset with Thunderbolt to hit opposing water-type mons, Surf / Scald for primary stab and utility, Rapid Spin for clearing your field, Recover for healing 50% for health back which is essential. As this Starmie is playing more of a support role, it helps to stick around for longer. While Recover helps with this somewhat, Leftovers is the primary option to improve its recovery rate, although Life Orb is also an option if you want Starmie to have more of an offensive presence. Skarmory does an excellent job covering major threats for Starmie while Heatran spreads burn with Lava Plume which highly increases Starmie's effectiveness, Gastrodon absorbs all the electric moves aimed towards it and Scizor revenges weaken foes with Bullet Punch.

Starmie @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Scald / Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Some minor changes may inculde running Steath Rocks on Ferrothorn and Spikes on Skarmory. Stealth Rocks is much better option on Ferrothorn as your team mates will really appreciate Leech Seed recovery and will increase it's survivability. Having Spikes on Ferrothorn opens you up to potential status and threats who intend to set up on it. While Skarmory does an excellent job phazing threats and setting up hazards at the same time which is more reliable in my opinion. You can also put Quick Attack on Scizor over pursuit. Quick Attack can be a good option over Pursuit, as, depending on the circumstances, it can give Scizor the opportunity to beat threats that resist Bullet Punch, such as Infernape and weakened Gyarados. Also if you add an importable it would make testing much simpler. Other than that your team is solid, Good Luck!

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Skarmory (F) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Drill Peck
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Spikes

Upated OP, so hopefully no more posts about Latios and other things of the past. ;)

@mostwanted, Starmie spin support would be nice, but I'd be weak to Lucario and Subpunch Toxicroak if I tried that set, and I manage well with Gengar. I have Gyro Ball for Gyarados on Ferrothorn now, and Starmie would take tons of damage from a boosted EQ. I originally ran Quick Attack, but never used it. Could just be because of how I play, but I've found Pursuit more useful. However, the Spikes and SR switch was such a damn good piece of advice that I added it before you even posted ;)

Thanks for the help, people. I'd like to get an opinion on whether I should keep my current Heatran or run a Scarf set with Overheat/Dragon Pulse/HP Rock/Earth Power.

Bumping because of team changes and new team name. I'd like some feedback on what Dragonite set I should run in addition to the normal rates and whatnot.

Pretty nice team you made here.
First of all, i would suggest you to put a timid nature on heatran instead of Calm. You need that extra speed to outspeed volcarona and the others.
you should also remove the rocky helmet from slowbro and give him lefties. Leftovers help a lot in sand and in taking 50% damage hits.
Other than that congrats on the team....

Thanks for pointing that out. I'd been running the correct natures, but hadn't updated the thread. I've been running [bModest[/b] on Heatran because I can't think of anything he would need Timid to out-speed.

I haven't been running Lefties on Slowbro because he's my best bet at taking down Physical Dnite (due to Fire Punch)with Rocky Helmet breaking subs. Not to mention that he gets ridiculous recovery with Regenerator and Slack Off. However, I will consider running Lefties. Thanks.

Motagua

El Ciclón Azul
I dont really think you should run Rocky Helmet on Slowbro. It is pointless since you have Ferrothorn´s Iron Barbs that will break Dragonite´s Multi-scale anyways. Scarf Heatran can take an Outrage and since he outspeeds, he will score a fast KO with Dragon Pulse after SR. Also what will your Slowbro do if SR and Spikes are on the field? Spikes + SR take 38% from Slowbro´s health and since Regenerator recovers 33.3%, that is when an extra Leftovers number becomes crucial. Definitely use a Leftovers on Slowbro considering that the extra health might come handy in similiar situations I described.

Also you might want to use a Timid nature on your Scarf Heatran to outspeed +1 DD Dragonite and KO first with Dragon Pulse. Additionally you also outspeed Modest Scrotom and you can land a KO if it is weak instead of switching out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)