When things don't go according to plan - A UU warstory

This is a rather interesting battle I would like to share with you guys, hope you enjoy reading it :)

WoShiDavid95 joined.
AD SpYDeR679 joined.
Format: UU
Rated battle
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: OHKO Clause
Rule: Moody Clause
Rule: Evasion Clause

WoShiDavid95's team:
Aerodactyl / Blastoise / Roserade / Venomoth / Chandelure / Nidoking

AD SpYDeR679's team:
Empoleon / Durant / Cobalion / Klinklang / Flygon / Chandelure

Comments: Alright, at this point I notice his team has 4 Steel types... apart from that, I also know that my Nidoking can easily destroy his entire team with the appropriate move, but I need to find time to pass at least 2 Quiver Dances from Venomoth because that Flygon is most probably Scarfed and will prevent a sweep. My strategy now is to incapitate Flygon ASAP through whatever means possible and then wreak havoc with my Nidoking.

Battle between WoShiDavid95 and AD SpYDeR679 started!
WoShiDavid95 sent out Aerodactyl!
AD SpYDeR679 sent out Klinklang!
Aerodactyl is exerting its pressure!
The foe's Klinklang floats in the air with its Air Balloon!

VS

100% 100%

Comments: 99% of the time, I lead with Aerodactyl to get Stealth Rock up as early as possible, and this battle is no exception. However, my opponent probably saw that coming and decided to lead with Klinklang. Since that stupid gear is happily floating on a balloon, he is safe from the tremors of the earth and needless to say, Stone Edge would do pitiful damage. I would Taunt his Klinklang to prevent it from setting up Shift Gear, but if he decides to attack then Gear Grind will break through my Focus Sash. But if I do decide to set up Stealth Rock and he decides to use Shift Gear, that would mean my team will be in a world of trouble as only Blastoise can Roar it out and he would probably be heavily damaged by a Wild Charge... oh dear. Best case scenario here would be me Taunting it and it deciding to use Shift Gear, but if he decides to attack me then I can't chip away at his team with Stealth Rock so I decide to set up Stealth Rock right off the bat and keep my fingers crossed.

Turn 1
Aerodactyl used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
The foe's Klinklang used Shift Gear!
The foe's Klinklang's Attack rose!
The foe's Klinklang's Speed sharply rose!

VS

100% 100% (+1 Atk, +2 Spe)

Comments: But of course, he decides to use Shift Gear, much to my chagrin. Now he's probably going to clip Aerodactyl's wings with 2 flying gears. I could sack Aerodactyl now since it has served its purpose, but then I realized he still has that Empoleon which may know Stealth Rock... I can't let it set up Stealth Rock otherwise it will be an utter pain for my Venomoth (Who is an integral part of my strategy) and Chandelure. So I decide to switch out to Blastoise and pray to Arceus it has Return instead of Wild Charge.

Turn 2
WoShiDavid95 called Aerodactyl back!
WoShiDavid95 sent out Blastoise!
The foe's Klinklang used Gear Grind!
The attack of the foe's Klinklang missed!

VS

100% 100%

Comments: Fortunately, his Gear Grind missed and I breathe a heavy sigh of relief. Now even if he has Wild Charge I can survive it and Roar him out.

Turn 3
The foe's Klinklang used Screech!
Blastoise's Defense harshly fell!
Blastoise used Roar!
Durant was dragged out!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Durant!

VS

100% (-2 Def) 87.5%

Comments: Oh-kay... the heck was that, using Screech? o.O
Well that confirms one thing, he probably doesn't have Wild Charge and my Blastoise can switch in without much trouble. Anyways, I have managed to Roar out a Durant... no way I'm staying in with -2 Defense, it's going to totally murder me with an X-Scissor I can see coming from miles away. Quickly glancing through my team, Chandelure has a quadruple resistance to Bug attacks; Chandelure, I choose you!

Turn 4
WoShiDavid95 called Blastoise back!
WoShiDavid95 sent out Chandelure!
The foe's Durant used X-Scissor!
It's not very effective... Chandelure lost 18% of its health!

VS

82% 87.5%

Comments: Chandelure takes the hit for Blastoise and isn't badly hurt. Now, my Chandelure isn't Scarfed but maybe my opponent will switch out in anticipation of one and switch in his own Chandelure to obtain a Flash Fire boost, in which case Shadow Ball would be the move to choose. However, Durant is clearly faster than me and such a move would be unreasonably risky. After some deliberation, I feel that someone using Screech on a Klinklang can't be so skilled and he will probably go for the more straightforward strategy to murder my Chandelure with Rock Slide, so I'm decide to switch Blastoise back in to absorb the anticpitated Rock Slide; even if he DOES switch in to Chandelure, my Blastoise would easily scare it off.

Turn 5
WoShiDavid95 called Chandelure back!
The foe's Durant used Rock Slide!
Blastoise lost 26% of its health!
Blastoise restored HP using its Leftovers!

VS

80.25% 87.5%

Comments: Fortunately, that turned out to be the right choice of action and indeed, I manage to tank the oncoming Rock Slide without much trouble. I'm torn between Roaring Durant out, or trying to hurt it with Scald. I predict that he will use Hone Claws, in which case Roaring him out might be a good choice... but I see that he has a Cobalion, Empoleon and Flygon whom I can't really hurt unless I get lucky with a burn from Scald. Of course, there's the possibility that I draw in a Chandelure but the odds are stacked against me, and with Durant's pitiful Special Defense, even a Scald from Blastoise will do a sizable amount and the burn chance is always nice, though he probably has a Lum Berry since I don't see Life Orb recoil. Time to douse this metal ant with hot water!

Turn 6
The foe's Durant used Hone Claws!
The foe's Durant's Attack rose!
The foe's Durant's Accuracy rose!
Blastoise used Scald!
The foe's Durant lost 57% of its health!

VS

86.5% 30.5% (+1 Atk, +1 Acc)

Comments: Honestly, even with Durant's horrendous Special Defense I thought it would take a Scald from a defensive Blastoise better. But anyways, it did do a sizable amount and he does go for the Hone Claws... will he try to badly hurt my Blastoise and sack Durant, or will he switch out and save Durant for later? I predict he will do the former since he probably won't have another opportunity to use Hone Claws, so I decide to click Scald once more.

Turn 7
AD SpYDeR679 called Durant back!
AD SpYDeR679 sent out Empoleon!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Empoleon!
The foe's Empoleon floats in the air with its Air Balloon!
Blastoise used Scald!
A critical hit! It's not very effective... The foe's Empoleon lost 21% of its health!
The foe's Empoleon's Air Balloon popped!

VS

92.75% 72.75% [Since Penguins can't fly, they decide to float with balloons instead... hate to burst your balloon (Yes I know it's supposed to be "burst your bubble" but I'm trying to make a pun here so do excuse me :P) but that is just a cheap imitation of flight, Empoleon :P]

Comments: Well clearly my opponent thought otherwise, as he switches in to Empoleon... I get a negligible crit and pop his Air Balloon; apparently my opponent is paranoid about Ground type attacks. No matter, my Blastoise is near perfect health and that Durant won't get another chance to inflict severe damage to my team. Anyways, his Empoleon will either use Stealth Rock, or try to hurt me with Grass Knot. I'll just switch out to Roserade because in the case of the former, I can easily find another opportunity to spin since Blastoise is at high health. He may predict my Roserade switch in and use Ice Beam but my Roserade is defensive and will easily tank one if needed.

Turn 8
WoShiDavid95 called Blastoise back!
WoShiDavid95 sent out Roserade!
The foe's Empoleon used Grass Knot!
It's not very effective... Roserade lost 3% of its health!
Roserade restored HP using its Leftovers!

VS

100% 72.75%

Comments: Roserade comes in and takes laughable damage from Grass Knot. Roserade can easily survive an Ice Beam if needed, so I'll use this opportunity to lay Spikes on his field.

Turn 9
AD SpYDeR679 called Empoleon back!
AD SpYDeR679 sent out Cobalion!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Cobalion!
The foe's Cobalion floats in the air with its Air Balloon!
Roserade used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of the foe's team!

VS

100% 96.875%

Comments: Are you seriously kidding me, 3 Air Balloons? Someone clearly got mauled by too many Earth Powers/Earthquakes... either way, I get 1 layer of Spikes up and that's it, Roserade is not staying in; he is either the Swords Dance, Calm Mind or support variant and all of them can use Roserade as set-up fodder. Only Blastoise can effectively handle all 3 sets, so I'm switching my Blastoise back in.

Turn 10
WoShiDavid95 called Roserade back!
The foe's Cobalion used Swords Dance!
The foe's Cobalion's Attack sharply rose!

VS

100% 96.875%

Comments: And what do you know, Swords Dance. Breaking his Balloon with Scald is tempting, and there's always the burn chance... but the safer (and wiser) option would be to Roar him out. I'll be badly hurt from Close Combat, but that's better than getting my entire team mauled by Cobalion.

Turn 11
The foe's Cobalion used Close Combat!
Blastoise lost 77% of its health!
The foe's Cobalion's Defense fell!
The foe's Cobalion's Special Defense fell!
Blastoise used Roar!
Flygon was dragged out!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Flygon!

VS

29.25% 93.75%

Comments: He goes for the obvious Close Combat but at least my entire team won't be mauled by Cobalion now. I have managed to draw out a Flygon, and it's probably Scarfed... I'm ready to sack my Blastoise now and I'm really hoping it doesn't use Outrage otherwise I'll have to send Chandelure/Nidoking in earlier than I hope to and there goes my chances of sweeping his team.

Turn 12
The foe's Flygon used Earthquake!
Blastoise lost 28% of its health!
Blastoise fainted!
WoShiDavid95 sent out Aerodactyl!
Aerodactyl is exerting its pressure!

VS

100% 93.75%

Comments: As expected, my Blastoise goes down and it's 6-5. Thankfully, he goes for the Earthquake and that means I can send my Aerodactyl back into the game... not sacking him turned out to be a pretty good choice, but for a different reason than I anticipated. He will definitely switch out seeing that Earthquake can't touch Aerodactyl; I predict that it will either be Empoleon or Cobalion. No matter who comes out, I will use Taunt because in the case of the former, no Stealth Rock on my field and in the latter, no Swords Dance.

Turn 13
AD SpYDeR679 called Flygon back!
AD SpYDeR679 sent out Durant!
The foe's Durant is hurt by the spikes!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Durant!
Aerodactyl used Taunt!
The foe's Durant fell for the taunt!

VS

100% 5.5%

Comments: OK so he switches in Durant instead... I don't know why he would do that, but whatever. Earthquake would be seem to the better move here because here due to its perfect accuracy but I have 2 chances to use Stone Edge it has a 96% chance of connecting at least once in 2 turns. Why would I use Stone Edge? Keep reading to find out :P

Turn 14
Aerodactyl used Stone Edge!
The foe's Durant lost 5% of its health!
The foe's Durant fainted!
The foe's Empoleon is hurt by the spikes!

VS

100% 66.5%

Comments: Stone Edge hit on the first try which is good, and now the score is finally level at 5-5. I predicted him to switch into Cobalion instead, but he decides to switch into Empoleon instead for whatever inexplicable reason... perhaps he wants to get Stealth Rock up? No matter what happens, I'll Taunt him; this is all part of a plan.

Turn 15
Aerodactyl used Taunt!
The foe's Empoleon fell for the taunt!
The foe's Empoleon used Hydro Pump!
It's super effective! Aerodactyl hung on using its Focus Sash!
Aerodactyl lost 100% of its health!

VS

1% 66.5%

Comments: Why switch in Empoleon if you're going to attack; does he not know I have a Focus Sash? The way I used Stone Edge instead of Earthquake to finish Durant may tip him off so that may be the reason he switched in Empoleon but Cobalion would still be the better choice because Close Combat has 100% accuracy o.O All the easier for me then. Now, the move of choice here would seemingly be Earthquake because that would finish Empoleon off... but I won't do that. Why? Again, it's all part of the plan :P

Turn 16
Aerodactyl used Stone Edge!
It's not very effective... The foe's Empoleon lost 23% of its health!
The foe's Empoleon used Ice Beam!
It's super effective! Aerodactyl lost 0% of its health!
Aerodactyl fainted!
WoShiDavid95 sent out Venomoth!

VS

100% 43.5%

Comments: Dun dun DUN! The moment of truth will be revealed! The score is 4-5 but fret not! Other than Chandelure and Empoleon, my Venomoth is slower than everything else on his team and since he has brought out and Empoleon, this is my only chance to set up and pass Quiver Dance boosts to Nidoking. I use Sleep Powder and pray that it doesn't miss.

Turn 17
Venomoth used Sleep Powder!
The foe's Empoleon fell asleep!
The foe's Empoleon is fast asleep.
The foe's Empoleon's taunt wore off!

VS

100% 43.5% [SLP]

Comments: I breathe a heavy sigh of relief and now I can proceed to merrily set up Quiver Dance boosts.

Turn 18
AD SpYDeR679 called Empoleon back!
AD SpYDeR679 sent out Cobalion!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Cobalion!
The foe's Cobalion floats in the air with its Air Balloon!
Venomoth used Quiver Dance!
Venomoth's Special Attack rose!
Venomoth's Special Defense rose!
Venomoth's Speed rose!

VS

100% (+1 Sp Atk, +1 Sp Def, +1 Spe) 93.75%

Comments: Now only does he decide to send out his Cobalion... he should have done that from the very beginning otherwise the battle would have been much closer. My Nidoking has Fire Blast, but I don't want an untimely miss to occur and ruin a potential sweep (I'm SERIOUSLY considering Flamethrower) so I decide to pop its Balloon instead. If he uses Stone Edge then it's alright, my Venomoth has 252 HP EVs and should comfortably survive a Stone Edge (Provided no critical hits).

Turn 19
Venomoth used Bug Buzz!
It's not very effective... The foe's Cobalion lost 28% of its health!
The foe's Cobalion's Air Balloon popped!
The foe's Cobalion used Iron Head!
Venomoth lost 51% of its health!
Venomoth restored HP using its Leftovers!
VS

55.25% 65.75%

Comments: OK, so he DOESN'T have Stone Edge, which is good news for me. Leftovers safely bring me out of the KO range of a subsequent Iron Head... then it occured to me, he still has that Scarfed Flygon which will be faster than Nidoking even after a Quiver Dance boost. Since I can survive another Iron Head barring a crit or possibly a higher damage roll, time to Quiver Dance again... fingers crossed, moment of truth coming in the next turn...

Turn 20
Venomoth's Speed rose!
The foe's Cobalion used Swords Dance!
The foe's Cobalion's Attack sharply rose!
VS

61.5% (+2 Sp Atk, +2 Sp Def, +2 Spe) 65.75% (+2 Atk)

Comments: OK RED ALERT and change of plans, there is absolutely no way Nidoking will survive a +2 Iron Head, I'm passing the boosts to Chandelure instead; this probably won't be a clean sweep but I'll have to improvise.

Turn 21
Venomoth used Baton Pass!
WoShiDavid95 called Venomoth back!
WoShiDavid95 sent out Chandelure!
The foe's Cobalion used Iron Head!
It's not very effective... Chandelure lost 46% of its health!

VS

36% 65.75%

Comments: Chandelure instead becomes the recipient of Venomoth's generosity due to unforeseen circumstances... so I switch in on the predicted Iron Head and I'm left with 36% of my health. Curses, I only have 4 turns of mauling stuff and he has 5 Pokemon left, I really question myself for following standard Smogon sets... Flame Plate or Spooky Plate would have been infinitely superior in this scenario >_> Oh well. Anyways, I could use Fire Blast here but as said before, that 85% accuracy may screw you over, I'm using Shadow Ball instead; resisted or not at +2 it will kill a dented Cobalion.

Turn 22
Chandelure used Shadow Ball!
It's not very effective... The foe's Cobalion lost 66% of its health!
Chandelure lost some of its HP!
The foe's Cobalion fainted!
AD SpYDeR679 sent out Flygon!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Flygon!
VS

26% 87.5%

Comments: Bam, down goes Cobalion and now the score is 4-4... but before long we will see more Pokemon corpses... on my opponent's side :P Right, the stupid Flygon finally reveals itself; it's all thanks to this thing I can't cleanly sweep with Nidoking. I will take great pleasure in murdering it with Shadow Ball >:)

Turn 23
The foe's Flygon lost 88% of its health!
The foe's Flygon fainted!
The foe's Empoleon is hurt by the spikes!

VS

16% 12.75%

Comments: Man that felt really good. Down goes the bloody Scarfed Flygon, and the score is 4-3. Up next is a sleeping Empoleon who is on really low health... I wished Aerodactyl's Stone Edge missed just now, because otherwise I could Pain Split against Empoleon to regain some health and cleanly sweep without being killed by Life Orb recoil. Oh well, time to clean things up with Shadow Ball.

Turn 24
It's not very effective... The foe's Empoleon lost 13% of its health!
The foe's Empoleon fainted!
AD SpYDeR679 sent out Chandelure!
The foe's Chandelure is hurt by the spikes!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Chandelure!

VS

6% 62.5%

Comments: Empoleon goes, down the score is 4-2, and he sends out a Chandelure of his own... he may switch into Klinklang to absorb Shadow Ball but I feel that a +2 Shadow Ball should be sufficient to kill Klinklang, resisted or not and if he doesn't switch and I use Fire Blast then that will be a problem; this time I'll just keep it simple and don't think too much.

Turn 25
AD SpYDeR679 called Chandelure back!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Klinklang!
The foe's Klinklang floats in the air with its Air Balloon!
It's not very effective... The foe's Klinklang lost 65% of its health!
The foe's Klinklang's Air Balloon popped!
Klinklang's stats were not lowered! (placeholder)
Chandelure fainted!
WoShiDavid95 sent out Venomoth!

VS

61.5% 28.75%

Comments: And unfortunately Shadow Ball doesn't do enough to finish off Klinklang, in fact far from it... I should really use a damage calculator but my opponent will probably kick me for being inactive by the time I'm done. Sighs. Anyways, Chandelure kills itself with Life Orb and the score is 3-2. The standard Klinklang doesn't have max Speed and even if it does I still have a speed tie... I'm not sure if a Bug Buzz from 217 Special Attack would be sufficient to finish off a Klinklang with ~30% health (Again, time constraint when using a damage calculator) and for all I know that Chandelure may be Scarfed so I'll just pray to Arceus that Sleep Powder hits. Here goes nothing...

Turn 26
Venomoth used Sleep Powder!
The foe's Klinklang fell asleep!
The foe's Klinklang is fast asleep.

VS

68.25% 28.75%

Comments: I thank my lucky stars today that Sleep Powder didn't miss at all. From this point onwards the match has been sealed in my favour. Quiver Dance time~

Turn 27
AD SpYDeR679 called Klinklang back!
AD SpYDeR679 sent out Chandelure!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Chandelure!
The foe's Chandelure is hurt by the spikes!
Venomoth's Speed rose!

VS

74.5% 25%

Comments: Roserade's and Aerodactyl's Spikes and Stealth Rock were most helpful in bringing Chandelure down to a quarter of its health through 2 mere switches... a resisted Bug Buzz should finish it off after a Quiver Dance (Thank you Tinted Lens).

Turn 28
Venomoth used Bug Buzz!
It's not very effective... The foe's Chandelure lost 26% of its health!
The foe's Chandelure fainted!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Klinklang!
The foe's Klinklang is hurt by the spikes!

VS

80.75% 10%

Comments: Down goes Chandelure and the score is 3-1. At this point, the match is mine and I click Bug Buzz and await my imminent victory.

Turn 29
Venomoth used Bug Buzz!
It's not very effective... The foe's Klinklang lost 10% of its health!
The foe's Klinklang fainted!
WoShiDavid95 wins!

Comments: In summary, this battle was completely different from what I had planned; Nidoking did not show himself on the battlefield at all. Let's see...

Props:
  • Venomoth for Baton Passing Quiver Dance.
  • Aerodactyl for feigning the lack of Earthquake.
  • Chandelure for obliterating half his team in place of Nidoking.
  • My opponent's Cobalion for making me have a complete change of plan.
  • My opponent's Flygon for being a general pain in the butt.
Slops:

• My opponent for switching out Durant right after boosting with Hone Claws.
  • My opponent for switching in Empoleon on Aerodactyl instead of Cobalion.
  • My own Nidoking for not doing anything. At all.
Feel free to rate and give comments :)

I like the battle.. Genrerally how you played BUT it IS a bit one-sided, your opponent had a bad team with air balloon spam (mono-steel :s) plus yah questionable plays like screech, hydro pump (including not bringing in Cobalion, who had a better chance of surviving a possible earthquake, heck why not even flygon :s who clearly did not have u-turn either...) So yah 4.5/10 from me. Its not the best but its a nice attempt, good job, hope you get better at writing'em ;)

I like the battle.. Genrerally how you played BUT it IS a bit one-sided, your opponent had a bad team with air balloon spam (mono-steel :s) plus yah questionable plays like screech, hydro pump (including not bringing in Cobalion, who had a better chance of surviving a possible earthquake, heck why not even flygon :s who clearly did not have u-turn either...) So yah 4.5/10 from me. Its not the best but its a nice attempt, good job, hope you get better at writing'em ;)
Yeah you're right, next time I'll find a more skilled opponent. Though about the Flygon, it's because he didn't get a chance to use U-turn, he was Scarfed when he used Earthquake and thus he can't touch Aerodactyl and the second time he appeared, Chandelure is faster thanks to the boosts from Quiver Dance. Thanks for the tips though :)

Yeah, The format of the story was pretty good, but the entire game your opponent was playing catch up. Warstories are nice where even if its the last turn you're on the edge of your seat because you don't know who is going to win.

Format is pretty good, could use a little tweaks but overall still a good warstory. If you plan to write another in the future find a battle that is not so much one-sided . But Good job nonetheless.

Yeah, The format of the story was pretty good, but the entire game your opponent was playing catch up. Warstories are nice where even if its the last turn you're on the edge of your seat because you don't know who is going to win.

Format is pretty good, could use a little tweaks but overall still a good warstory. If you plan to write another in the future find a battle that is not so much one-sided . But Good job nonetheless.
Although it's not so apparent the battle could have gone either way actually, Sleep Powder from Venomoth not missing was absolutely crucial so it's a 3/4 chance of success... well actually 9/16 considering I need to hit twice, both Empoleon and Klinklang.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You weren't playing a great opponent. Come on. Once he used Shift Gear on an Aerodactyl he knew he had to 2HKO and then Screeched on a Blastoise instead of using a boosted Electric attack, you should have realized this battle wasn't good enough for a warstory. Combine that with an Air Balloon on one of the Pokemon that can't use it very well (Empoleon is either running Substitute or can take a weak Earthquake, plus it has only one immunity to come in on) and it's clear this was a one sided battle from the beginning - not the best kind to write about.

^qft

Sorry, sir/ma'am,
a Baton Pass sweep and a 3-0 finisher that honestly was anticlimactic as hell and against an opponent whose sets and move choices were honestly quite terrible (Air Balloon Empoleon for crying out loud) is not the best battle to write a warstory about. In addition, there was really no hair-raising badass prediction in the entire match, only what should've been expected from Yomi layer 0 and 1 predictions (search it up). There was nothing critical in the entire battle tbh. No prediction vs. counterprediction; no head-to-head mauling stuff and nothing dangerous enough on your opponent's side to defeat your team save Flygon, who did nothing important in the match (EQ'ing low health Blastoise don't count for shit). Your opponent should have sacked everything else to take out Chandy near the end and simply swapped Flygon in to EQ the rest of your team to hell, instead of sacking IT and trying for a last-minute Klinklang sweep.

On the other hand, the formatting is excellently done for a forum which hasn't seen many of which in a while. Kudos for posting up exact percentages; may I inquire as to how you do that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)