Which Ttar?

In your own opinion, which Ttar is better? DDtar or Cursetar?

• Cursetar

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • DDtar

Votes: 149 85.6%
  • Neither, they're equal.

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 5.2%

• Total voters
Don't have such an ego Phox, has anybody even mentioned your name?

The thing is about Cursing, you have two perfectly viable options in Snorlax and Regirock. Regirock has MUCH superior defensive stats, and Snorlax has superior SpDef. Tyranitar will survive random unSTAB'd Brick Breaks after a Curse, but Infernape, Heracross, and Lucario OHKO regardless.

Dragon Dance has a good shot at sweeping teams.

Read the first post. "Quite a bit of gossip" as in I opened a research thread on CurseTar like a day or less before this topic came out. I'd be surprised if the OP would have made this poll otherwise.

I vote DD, of course the defense gotten from curse is great, but its defensive wall capabilities are diminished by its weakness to fight and ground, which are REALLY common.

DD is a fast killer than can still get some hits, both physical and special wise, which cannot be found easily.

I do like cursetar alot, but DD is better because in OU, the higher you're speed, the bigger advantage you have. Cursetar is ravanged by Lucario, namely the swords dance variant. His huge amount of weaknesses also make cursing less effective.

cb tar i would vote for hits massivly hard anything can pursuit ghosts psyhics nicely

scarf tar is more amazing tar with fireblast ice beam can kill skarm gliscor 2okho hippo. Not even to metion supprsire tons of crap. gengar salamence luke blah blah blah to many to think of.

cb tar i would vote for hits massivly hard anything can pursuit ghosts psyhics nicely

scarf tar is more amazing tar with fireblast ice beam can kill skarm gliscor 2okho hippo. Not even to metion supprsire tons of crap. gengar salamence luke blah blah blah to many to think of.
English would be great, thanks. This is basically irrelevant since this convo regards CurseTar and DDTar.

No one is making a personal attack on you, Phox. We're discussing Cursetar vs. DDtar, not whether we like you or not. No need to be defensive.

That being said, Tyranitar just has too many weaknesses to wall well in a speed-oriented metagame. It doesn't have the gargantuan hp of Snorlax. With only two attacking moves, you ensure that you will be walled by something. Earthquake and Stone edge? You're walled by Gliscor. Earthquake and Crunch? You're walled by Skarmory. It may work well in a Trick Room team, but overall DDtar poses a larger threat to people. When you're outspeeding Heracross and Lucario and Gallade, it makes it a lot harder for them to counter you, as they have to take two hits. With Cursetar, you have to curse, then rest and hope that someone like Infernape doesn't come in on you and set up.

This in my opinion is the best Tyranitar, i created it myself, and it seems to work Magic, when having just ONE opportunity to set up.

Name: TBulky
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Fire Punch / Crunch / Stone Edge/ Rock Slide Taunt
Item: Expert Belt, Leftovers
Nature: Jolly
Ev: 176 Defense, 172 HP, 16 Special Defense, 28 Attack, 116 Speed

This set is mainly designed to take advantage of Tyranitar Uber like stats and move pool. After 1 DD Tyranitar out speeds all base 90 pokes, even Adamant Salamence and Garchomp. With its great Special Defense boost thanks to sand, he can even take Surfs no problem, even from Specs Starmie. After 1 Dragon Dance, Fire Punch will OHKO Heracross, Weavile, Forretress ( Stealth Rock help ) and Breloom. It also 2hko Bronzong, and does 43% minimum to Skarmory. Crunch is there to make Cresselia easier, hits Bronzong for decent damage and Swampert, and hits Celebi and Slowbro for Super Effective. Stone Edge is there for Zapdos, Gyarados and Togekiss, who can annoy you and hits Suicune for nice damage as well. Taunt just makes Weezing nothing to you and free set up bait, helps vs Dusknoir who lacks Brick Break. Also stops Skarmory from roaring you out. Earthquake and Ice Beam is there for elite type coverage, Ice Beam over Ice Fang, because Gliscor, Donphan and Hippowdon all lack Special Defense.
Stone Edge does the same damage to Heracross as Fire Punch, and Stone Edge/Rock Slide does more to Weavile than Fire Punch.

Just to steer the topic away from a moot discussion, can someone explain what's great about Boah? I've never used him, and I want to know the advantage over, say, CB Tar or Mixed Tar (Stone Edge/Crunch/Fire Blast/Ice Beam). I don't really see what good Focus Punch does when Blissey is hit very hard by Stone Edge anyways, Skarmory/Suicune is over-powered by Stone Edge (Skarm can stall you with Roost, but one crit KOs it), and his Crunch or Stone Edge 2HKO's basically everything they hit neutral but Hippowdon, Donphan, and Swampert and maybe Gliscor.

Hey, but I've never used Tyraniboah, so that's just me.

ddtar is better than phox if we havee to pick between curse and ddtar. wrecks skarmbliss crunchs pert and hippo stoneegdes most other things

The problem is, when you Crunch Hippowdon and Swampert for respectable damage, the knock you flat with Earthquake. And neither of them are 2HKO'd without Life Orb.

DD-tar i alwaysd use with Rock slide/EQ/DD/Taunt and have Lum berry onb him too i use rock slide beacuse better accurate and 30% Flinch change maybe. Stone Edge i've dont trust much about i have more use for Rock Slide when it as better speed. Rock and Ground gives good coverage. Maybe i ca n put Taunt of for Crunch or a fight attack.

Tyranitar iis a beast and looks cool much cooler than Garchomp and Salamance.

Boah is a surprise set. It goes like:

opponent: oh noes ttar (sends in tar counter)
you: ice beam mothafucka
tangrowth/hippowdon/gliscor: (dead)

Then you set up a Sub, you Subpunch some things, maybe you dropped Sub for TBolt? Maybe you are STAB-less Boltbeaming?

It's basically a MixTar with FP.

Also I am disgusted at the lack of ScreechTar.

I don't see the advantage of Boah over MixTar. Stone Edge hits just as hard as Focus Punch when neutral, and Blissey is hit hard enough anyways, plus you don't need to use it on the switch or behind a Sub for it to work. Plus, without Subsitute you open up a moveslot for more coverage.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just to steer the topic away from a moot discussion, can someone explain what's great about Boah? I've never used him, and I want to know the advantage over, say, CB Tar or Mixed Tar (Stone Edge/Crunch/Fire Blast/Ice Beam). I don't really see what good Focus Punch does when Blissey is hit very hard by Stone Edge anyways, Skarmory/Suicune is over-powered by Stone Edge (Skarm can stall you with Roost, but one crit KOs it), and his Crunch or Stone Edge 2HKO's basically everything they hit neutral but Hippowdon, Donphan, and Swampert and maybe Gliscor.

Hey, but I've never used Tyraniboah, so that's just me.
First, the Boahtar set itself is basically just a glorified Subpuncher + Dark STAB + random special attack.

Now Boahtar can even choose between Crunch and Dark Pulse. Despite having seemingly "locked" moves, it isn't that much different than any other Tar. Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, even Earthquake or Stone Edge could go in the last slot if you wanted Dark Pulse to use SA.

its for smacking special walls Namely Blissy or snorlax who think they catch on that your seemly special sweeping

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That's exactly why I'm asking why people use it. I don't see the big advantages Focus Punch has.
Think of the switchins to TTar: Bulky Waters, Steels trying to absorb a Stone Edge, or Bulky Grounds trying to do the same.

Behind a 101HP Sub, not only does TTar have blanket impunity to something like Bliss SToss, with 100/100 Defenses and auto-sandstorm boost, it may be able to take unSTABBed hits and still have some Sub HP left.

Focus Punch is generally useful since it has the same adjusted BP as Stone Edge, hits Normals hard, and also takes out other TTars and deals solid damage to Steelix and Regirock (although not enough to disuade them from switching in before you have a Sub up.)

The final move depends on whether you hate Bulky waters or Bulky grounds more. Bulky Grounds won't like Dark Pulse much since it hits their generally weaker SDef, and Thunderbolt keeps Bulky Waters from getting too cocky. The obvious sore thumb in this is Swampert, but Swampert counters everything except HP Grass Tars anyway.

I voted undecided. Though I think DDTar is the best out of those. Tar has so many weaknesses, it wouldn't really be the smartest thing to use him as a physical wall. Dragon Dance seems better on this.

You should have also listed Tyraniboah! =D

...unless you just wanted to find out which power-up T-Tar is better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)