Pokémon Whimsicott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Type: Grass / Fairy
Pokedex Number: 547
Ability 1: Prankster - Moves that do not deal direct damage have their priority increased by one level.
Ability 2: Infiltrator - The wielder bypasses the foe's Light Screen, Reflect, Mist, and Safeguard.
Ability (DW): Chlorophyll - Speed doubles in sun.
Base Stats: 60 HP / 67 Atk / 85 Def / 77 SpA / 75 SpD / 116 Spe

Notable Moves:
Encore
Taunt
Memento
Leech Seed
Stun Spore
Giga Drain
U-Turn
Hurricane
Moonblast
Cotton Guard
Fake Tears
Tickle
Trick Room
Sunny Day
(possibly more)

Overview
Generation five has not been kind to Whimsicott. The intial excitement for Prankster didn't continue for long and Whimsicott has discovered it's plagued by its low base stats, inability to do damage and bad defensive typing, making it a challenge to fit in a team. It didn't help that it faced stiff competition from other Grass types, who bring something more useful to the table.

Thankfully, generation six has blessed Whimsicott with a newfound typing: Grass / Fairy. What this means is it now gives Whimsicott a plethora of resistances and one important immunity to switch into. It has resistances to Water, Grass, Ground, Electric, Fighting, Dark and an immunity to Dragon. While it faces competition from Togekiss, another newfound Fairy type, it has distinct advantages over the more offensive-minded Fairy. Notably, it can stop setup moves from occurring thanks to its ability. It also has access to Taunt, which can stop nasty entry hazards and weather conditions from taking place. Sticky Web, a new 'weather' condition, is a thorn in the eye for hyper offensive teams. While Defog removes entry hazards as well, hyper offensive teams generally like their own entry hazards. Therefore, one might use Whimsicott as a lead to stop Galvantula's webbing, who cannot OHKO him now that it's neutral to bug.

However, not all is rosy for the fluffy sheep. It has gained a double Poison weakness and a Steel weakness, trading for Bug neutrality, and still has a Fire, Ice and Flying weakness. It can't do much damage either way, making its only viable role a supporter.

Potential Movesets

Prankster
- U-turn / Moonblast / Memento
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- Taunt / Giga Drain / Leech Seed

Ability: Prankster
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Bold / Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Set Description
Its role didn't change much. It can Encore setup Pokémon or Stun Spore them depending on what they chose. To give you an idea of its bulk, CB Garchomp can only 4HKO with Earthquake and 3HKO with Stone Edge, which it must pack if it wants to KO Togekiss. CB Azumarill can muster a 4HKO with Waterfall while the Belly Drum set is stone cold stopped by Encore. DD Dragonite has a slim chance of 2HKOing with Fire Punch. Any other move and it's Encore time. Likewise, Aegislash is screwed if it uses Sword Dance and can't touch it with Sacred Sword. Lucario's Close Combat is a 4HKO with only a LO boost. That the fairy type improved Whimsicott's durability is the understatement of the year.

U-turn gives you momentum after you Encore, since your foe likely don't want to be a sitting duck. U-turn allows you to counter the following Pokémon with one of your counters. Moonblast can be used to hurt dragons. However, they'll often switch after your Encore them. Memento lets your sweepers come in and set up on their counter. Taunt is usually used in the fourth slot to cripple walls and other stallish Pokemon. It also stops weather inducers that rely on their moves to start the weather, which will be more common now that weather has been nerfed. Leech Seed or Giga Drain can be used instead of Taunt to add better recovery and hurt Water and Ground types. Bold nature is generally used, but you can go Impish if you decide to forego Moonblast and Giga Drain for a slightly stronger U-turn.

Counters & Checks
Any Grass Pokémon will stop Whimsicott cold, especially ones that have Sap Sipper, though it can U-turn to safety and bring in something more threatening to them. Scizor can also come in and wreak havoc, though he can't trap it as much as he'd like due to its new Dark resistance. Nothing is truly safe, since it often has some move that the recipient won't like or can U-turn to annoy another time. Its counter is perhaps itself. It cannot deal consistent damage, unlike Togekiss. It's therefore advisable to pack a number of sweepers to do the cleaning job. It also doesn't have reliable recovery. Whimsicott would kill to have Roost or Wish in its job description. Until that happens, Togekiss may be found more useful in general and secure the Fairy spot in a given team.

Conclusion
Even though everyone has been centering their attention around other Fairy Pokémon, one should not underestimate Whimsicott's role as a potential team player. Priority Encore is a powerful tool to stop sweepers from doing their job and Whimsicott can come in on many of them without much fear of retaliation thanks to its Fairy typing. Even though Togekiss has been given the same treatment, Whimsicott does have advantages over the flying fairy. Notably, it resists Water and Electric, and is neutral to Rock. However, is that enough to earn the spotlight? Time will tell. One thing's for sure though, Whimsicott is back with a vengeance!

Last edited:
Whimsicott got Fairy? Mother of god...

Prankster
- U-turn / Moonblast / Memento
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- Taunt / Giga Drain / Leech Seed

Ability: Prankster
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Bold / Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
I'm really liking this moveset. Disable a Poke with Encore or Taunt, sit there sponging and maybe pull a KO, Memento out to disable their next 'mon and to gain momentum.

Whimsicott was one of my favourite pokemon to use last gen. I love the little guy, and think that fairy really adds a lot to his power. I don't think it changes his moveset at all, though. His offensive prowess was never the reason to use him, and I can't see any non-combat abilities he got that really add to his momentum. (Now if he got parting shot? Oh boy, that'd be amazing. And he's NEVER going to be taunt bait because he outruns every other prankster user with his own taunt.)

Prankster Encore has always been his greatest strength, and that hasn't changed. With an added immunity, resistances to fighting, dark and it's already amazing resistances in water, electric and ground -- it can take multiple hits and trap the opponent into it's move. Fairy makes it easier to handle Scizor (who almost always U-Turns on a switch-in, unless it's the Sword Dance set in which case it... Swords Dances, which is perfect for Whimsicott.) The steel weakness hurts, but I don't think that the poison dual weakness really matters. Poison has limited coverage and is easy to predict, no one will run it over a steel move unless they get STAB. (Poison distribution is also pretty limited.)

Pair this thing up with Heatran to take pretty much every single one it's weaknesses, and watch it work wonders for your team. The lack of ANY offensive presence is it's only real downside... pure-support when you can only have six pokemon kind of wastes a slot for something you could be using for more 'manual labor' as it were. Even Sableye has Foul Play... Whimsicott's only good offensive move is leech seed. But I think it still has the potential to be a strong contender in any tier, just like last gen. Just only if played properly.

For the set itself... I always ran:

U-Turn
Leech Seed
Taunt
Encore

Leech seed for SOME offensive presence, Taunt/Encore disables just about anything that uses a boosting move and then U-Turn for some minor offensive presence. I think I like Memento better, though. U-Turn doesn't really add a whole lot and does almost no damage. Memento could REALLY neuter a pokemon and then switch in to a strong set-up pokemon to wipe out the rest of their team.

I suppose we won't know until December if it DOES get Parting Shot, right?

Last edited:
Could it be worth it to run Infiltrator instead of Prankster? Whimsicott already has fantastic speed, with some investment you could be Encoring/Sleep Powdering through Substitutes.

Could it be worth it to run Infiltrator instead of Prankster? Whimsicott already has fantastic speed, with some investment you could be Encoring/Sleep Powdering through Substitutes.
Yep. I was gonna mention that actually. Prankster is still the superior ability I think (especially for encore), but there's some definite potential in getting your status move past subs.

Prankster Encore is indeed what makes Whimsicott so darn good. If you switch into Whimsicott the same turn your opponent used a status / set-up move, gg. Besides, if they are too stupid to switch out after the taunt ends, you can simply Taunt again because you can.

Though this means that you have to be able to kill or force out +6 Scizor or +6+6+6 Volcarona in the last turn encore is on.

Though this means that you have to be able to kill or force out +6 Scizor or +6+6+6 Volcarona in the last turn encore is on.
Both of those pokemon should have long since been KOed by the time their encore ends... though I've never actually used Whimsicott's encore on a Volcarona's Quiver Dance.

I guess my question, then, would be what you do if your foe switches when you try to Encore? U-Turn out?
Pretty much. Or use Leech Seed on the switch if you predict it.

Now I want to see a SubSeed set on this guy lol.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Prankster
Bold | 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SpD
- Substitute
- Encore
- Leech Seed
- Stun Spore/Sleep Powder/Toxic

Whimsicott can pass as a SubSeeder for a stall-oriented team running entry hazards. Attempt to switch in on a Dragon-type move (or a physical move you resist), then proceed to Encore, Sub, Leech Seed, and harass with status. Grass-types will completely counter this set (Venusaur in particular), but if you need a fast SubSeeder, look no further than Whimsicott, as the only thing that can outspeed it and threaten it are Ice Shard Weavile and Gale Wings Talonflame.

Both of those pokemon should have long since been KOed by the time their encore ends... though I've never actually used Whimsicott's encore on a Volcarona's Quiver Dance.
How? By Leech Seed sapping? I don't think so.

1st turn: Opponent brings in Scizor. You miraculously predicted SD instead of BP and brought in Whimiscott.
2nd turn: Encore. Opponent is forced to SD, or switches out, then Taunt fails.
3rd turn, assuming Scizor stayed in: Leech Seed? Scizor SD's again.
4th turn: Do what? Scizor SD's and Encore is over.
5th turn: You have to Encore again. That Scizor is (if the other player has a brain), without a doubt switching out next turn.

I don't see how you can kill them with Whimsicott. And that was assuming your opponent stayed in after it got Encored.

Now I want to see a SubSeed set on this guy lol.
Subseed has a couple of problems. One of which is that you're entrenching a pokemon with ZERO offensive power in. Plus Encore/Taunt is usually enough to protect Whimsicott.

How? By Leech Seed sapping? I don't think so.

1st turn: Opponent brings in Scizor. You miraculously predicted SD instead of BP and brought in Whimiscott.
2nd turn: Encore. Opponent is forced to SD, or switches out, then Taunt fails.
3rd turn, assuming Scizor stayed in: Leech Seed? Scizor SD's again.
4th turn: Do what? Scizor SD's and Encore is over.
5th turn: You have to Encore again. That Scizor is (if the other player has a brain), without a doubt switching out next turn.

I don't see how you can kill them with Whimsicott. And that was assuming your opponent stayed in after it got Encored.
You switch. Whimsicott is a support pokemon.

I think Encore already bypasses Substitutes regardless. Also, question: how do you get Whimsicott in X & Y? I thought it was unobtainable.

Subseed is a terrible strategy to begin with, even more so this gen, and is an absolute no-no on erefuun. This guy wants to mess up the opponent's momentum then u-turn the F out. If your plan involves him staying in for any length of time, you aren't using him to his potential. Priority encore to u-turn is just ridiculous value and so underrated. In fact, encore isn't even needed; just the threat of it is enough to force a switch for you to u-turn into, unless your opponent is bad (or really good heh).

Which is why parting shot would have been orgasmic on this thing or any prankster really. Sad face...

I think Encore already bypasses Substitutes regardless. Also, question: how do you get Whimsicott in X & Y? I thought it was unobtainable.
It is. We have to wait for pokemon bank.

Subseed is a terrible strategy to begin with, even more so this gen, and is an absolute no-no on erefuun. This guy wants to mess up the opponent's momentum then u-turn the F out. If your plan involves him staying in for any length of time, you aren't using him to his potential. Priority encore to u-turn is just ridiculous value and so underrated.
Which is why parting shot would have been orgasmic on this thing or any prankster really. Sad face...
It has no movepool at all yet. It could naturally learn Parting Shot for all we know. Seriously, parting shot was BUILT for Whimsicott practically. If it doesn't get it... why... that'd be like Flareon not getting Flare Blast for 2 generations.

Last edited:

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Whimsicott doesn't learn sleep powder unless something changed this generation. The best sleep inducing move it gets is...grass whistle.

I can't see much use for substitute. Encore and taunt already ignore subs. The only benefit you get is that you can leech seed through a sub now. Or if you're running him on a rain team, you can hurricane sub-punch breloom to death. But at the moment, I'm not seeing much use with infiltrator. Stun Spore and Knock Off through subs doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't sound appealing in the face of prankster.

It's worth mentioning that subseed Whimsicott is really terrible by the way. What usually happens is that your opponent just switches to a grass type pokemon and starts ignoring you. You waste 25% of your hp just to see a celebi or an amoongus switch in. And then you switch out again because you don't have any offensive presence and can't really do anything to the opposing pokemon. Unless you're running something like worry seed, which keeps three pokemon out of many from shutting you down.

This pokemon is really good as a disrupter. Don't forget that you have priority tailwind too, alongside momento and stun spore.

he would be a pretty (gimmicky) fun trick room inducer/hazer this gen with his new typing and immunity

Something like:
Whimsicott: Prankster
Quit
Iron ball/Kebia/Occa Berry
encore
trick room
u-turn
switcheroo/Thief

Invest a bunch in hp/def/sdef? idk, sounds annoying

I was wondering when Whimsicott will stay in the lower tiers if a Infiltratorset would be viable? Certainly you won't expect a more offensive approached Whimsicott. It has acces to some decent attacking moves and a good boosting move (in the sun). Now I am not an expert when it consists battling so I would like to hear your opinions about it.

In gen 5, I used a Subseed set with decent success.

Whimsicott Leftovers
Bold, 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpDef
-Stun Spore
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Taunt

While it was fun, it wasn't great, and often got used as a last-ditch Stun Spore machine if my opponent was setting up something that I couldn't reliably deal with, such as SD Garchomp or Chlorophyll Venusaur. Eventually, I dropped it for Sabeleye.

In gen 6, however, this set is pretty much useless. One function that my old set had for me was slowing down Venusaur so that I could kill it, but this is no longer the case. The new buffs to Grass types ensure that Whimsicott can't do much to them, notably Venusaur, Ferrothorn, Breloom, and Celebi. For a Prankster set for the new generation, I would suggest the following:

Whimscott @ Focus Sash
Prankster
Impish, 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpDef
-Taunt
-Encore
-U-Turn
-Stun Spore

This is set deals with any setup sweeper your opponent might throw at you. With a clear field, Whimsicott can come in, ensure survival, and proceed to cut momentum. This set is useful for dealing with fast powerhouses, like Mega-Gengar.

However, Infiltrator got a HUGE boost this gen, where it now hits through subs. I think it's worth considering. Maybe not for OU, but certainly for lower tiers.

Whimscott @ Focus Sash
Infiltrator
Jolly, 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 Spd
-Taunt
-Leech Seed
-U-turn
-Toxic

What's that? You're trying to set up on a Whimsicott? This set hits through subs, crippling anything that tries to sit behind a sub, thinking that they can't be hit, then U-turns into a trapper and makes sure the opponent dies. EVs need some tweaking; as I can't access a calc right now, but this is just a general idea.

I'm not sure i like the infiltrator set. Toxicing something that's setting up behind a sub seems extremely situational to begin with, and whatever has just set up is likely to crudely 1hko whimsicott. Priority encore is better in that situation and many others.

I'm still going to use taunt/encore/u-turn/whatever. Probably memento.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)