OU Whimsicott

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh.

Yeah.

Quality Control.

FMK TDK Ciele Finchinator

???

Overview
* Whimsicott holds an astounding base 116 Speed for a utility-based Pokemon, allowing it to naturally outspeed Pokemon such as Mew, Rotom-W, and Tapu Fini.
Let's consider the context of the sentence and the set in general:

move 1: Memento
move 2: Tailwind
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Encore
item: Focus Sash / Darkinium-Z
ability: Prankster

Unless you're using Infiltrator, which is what needs to be noted in that sentence (albeit differently), what Whimsicott outspeeds is irrelevant since it will always get the jump on them thanks to Prankster. Notice - none of the Pokemon listed here have Prankster either.
* The combination of Whimsicott's supportive movepool and high base Speed allows it to function well on Baton Pass teams.
This definitely can be merged. In fact, a lot of the Overview has a lot of fluff. It mentions Speed almost 3-4 times. I think you can cut it down. I'll show in a moment.
* Since Whimsicott has a vast movepool, it suffers from four-moveslot-syndrome.
Not really noteworthy IMO.
* The nerf to Prankster allow Dark-types such as Bisharp, Greninja, and Mega-Gyarados to switch in without worrying about being crippled by Whimsicott's support moves. While the addition of Psychic Terrain further hampers Whimsicott's ability to take advantage of Prankster.
Could be cleaned up a bit as well.

Here, we'll start with the Overview like so:

* In here mention about its access to Prankster and a wide array of Support moves are the reason to use Whimsicott in Baton Pass teams - as they disrupt the opponent and support your team.
* You can continue on with its typing - definitely not bad, but definitely not great either.
* In here you can mention that Whimsicott has a rather powerful Speed stat that still can be supported with Infiltrator - you can mention the Support Pokemon it outspeeds.
* I know this isn't really a con per se, but I would mention that Whimsicott only fits on an extreme niche with Baton Pass support. So many people still make the mistake of including Whimsicott in their team without knowing its purpose or utility. Other QC might disagree with me, but considering that this was actually mistaken before I think it's worthwhile to add this detial.
* Lack of Recovery and durability make it difficult to keep alive. Still a good con.
* Psychic Terrain and Dark-types take a dumpster on the set. Note Bisharp especially - Bisharp basically nullifies Memento.

Moveset
* Memento allows Whimsicott to safely bring in a Baton Pass or set up user while also providing them a safe way to boost up at the expense of Whimsicott.
Also mention about Z Memento being used with Darkinium Z to fully heal the recipient (usually Scolipede / Mew, but can be others).
* Tailwind provides an easier time for set up users such as Scolipede and Mew.
Mention that, in a pinch, it can also warm up the game since +2 Speed Mega Metagross can be difficult to switch into. This can be really useful in situations where Whimsicott is in the back and a Plan B is needed (say Scolipede / Mew somehow fucked up).
* Encore is used to lock down other set up users such as Mega Charizard X, Quiver Dance Pheromosa, and Landorus-T.
Also mention that it can punish entry hazards.
* Full investment in Speed allows Whimsicott to quickly set up Tailwind, Taunt, or Encore before falling.
Mention that this is crucial for Infiltrator Whimsicott as well since you need Speed investment to outspeed your example targets.
* Since Whimsicott is naturally fast, Infiltrator can be used over Prankster to allow Whimsicott to bypass Psychic Terrain and Dark-types. However, Prankster is still superior in most cases.
The major thing is this even though Prankster is superior in most case, the reason it is used that outside of the Psychic Terrain and Dark-types it will always be superior. Basically - you're right but expand why.
* Whimsicott is exclusively used as a support Pokemon, thus, it is important to take advantage of its ability to support the team's set up users.
* Whimsicott can be used as a suicide lead to quickly set up Tailwind and then Memento on out to a set up or Baton Pass user.
Merge these two together - mention that Whimsicott is used exclusively for supporting Baton Pass teams. Mention that Focus Sash is used more for a suicide lead whereas Darkinium Z sits in the sidelines to deploy annoyances or Z Memento.
* Remember that due to Prankster, Whimsicott will be able to Taunt other non-Dark-type Taunt users such as Tapu Fini and Gliscor.
When does Prankster ever matter on this? I'd just axe it or mention that Whimsicott can still Taunt or Encore levitating Pokemon even in Psychic Terrain.
* Whimsicott can help safely bring in set-up sweepers such as Mega Charizard X, Volcarona, and Mega Pinsir with Memento. They also appreciate Tailwind since it will also allow them to outspeed their threats to either recover up or boost up further.
If you could, focus more on Baton Pass recipients. Think in these examples - Mega Metagross who doesn't always need a Speed Boost or just Tailwind, Necrozma to ease setting up,or Manaphy which can still cripple bulkier teams.

Other Options

Meh.

Checks and Counters
**Dark-types**: Dark-types such as Greninja, Mega Gyarados, and Hoopa-U can easily switch into Whimsicott's supportive moves or use it as set-up bait due to their immunity to moves affected by Prankster. Mandibuzz can Taunt Whimsicott without worrying about being taunted back, preventing Whimsicott from providing any utility.
No Bisharp? Bisharp basically worries nothing from Whimsicott aside from not being able to set up Swords Dance.
**Steel-types**: Common Steel-types such as Celesteela, Magnezone, and Heatran are able to threaten Whimsicott out with Steel-type STAB. However, Mega Scizor and Kartana must be wary of being locked into Swords Dance.
Needs more elaboration - especially since in those cases they would just go for the kill with their Steel-type attacks.
**Fast Priority Attackers**: Fast attackers with access to priority such as Mega Scizor, Mega Pinsir, and Weavile are capable of knocking out Whimsicott after some prior damage.
You can also mention Mamoswine.

So, before I officially stamp this - and I apologize for asking, I would like to that you tag me once more and I'll give you the okay to proceed. I'll discuss more with QC because there's a lot.

This should help a little bit to describe - ignore the loss and the misplay, but focus on the general gist of the strategy and think of what Pokemon are commonly run on Baton Pass teams.

Implement those changes, tag me, and I'll discuss everything with QC once more before giving it the official 3/3...

...but since AccidentalGreed made this nice stamp and I want to use it...

3/3

Once, of course, everything is re-reviewed.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Also mention about Z Memento being used with Darkinium Z to fully heal
the recipient (usually Scolipede / Mew, but can be others).
I had this under "set details"on the Darkinium-Z bullet but, I can add it to the Memento bullet as well

If you could, focus more on Baton Pass recipients. Think in these examples - Mega Metagross who doesn't always need a Speed Boost or just Tailwind, Necrozma to ease setting up,or Manaphy which can still cripple bulkier teams.
could you clarify this point, its 4am and my brain is slowing down .0.

also after watching the replay, do you want me to include a "terrain overrider" under team options to override Psychic Terrain?

Colonel M I'm done for the most part, I still feel that I'm missing some things but, I can come back tomorrow (or later today) to check it again!

edit- I also did not include the Bisharp section in the overview and emphasized it in CC since I found it too specific in the overview. But, I can add it if you want.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Think more about what Pokemon are commonly used in Baton Pass teams as recipients of anything Whimsicott could provide in the event that Scolipede / Mew is down for some reason and a Plan B must be engaged. That's why I listed the Pokemon in there - Tailwind benefits MMeta and Manaphy, both Necrozma and Manaphy benefit from Z Memento still, etc.

Implement that and I think everything is alright otherwise.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/1

how to implement GP checks

pretty good write-up, thanks! here's an explanation of setup/set up:

if it's an adjective, like setup sweeper, setup bait, setup fodder: one word
if it's a verb, like you can set up against Scizor: two words
if it's short for "it has already set up and has some boosts": hyphenated (set-up)
[OVERVIEW]

* Whimsicott's access to a vast supportive movepool, in tandem with its ability Prankster, (AC) allows it to function well on Baton Pass teams by disrupting the opponent while supporting its team.
* Its Grass / Fairy typing provides Whimsicott with 6 six resistances (most notably to Water- and Ground-types) along with an immunity to Dragon-types. However, this typing also makes Whimsicott vulnerable to common Steel-, Fire-, and Flying-types while suffering a 4x weakness to Poison-types.
* Whimsicott's has a base 116 Speed of 116, which allows it to is useful for outspeeding Pokemon such as Mew, Tapu Fini, and Rotom-W if you opt for Infiltrator over Prankster. (for future reference, if you go to smogon.com/dex/xm/pokemon/whimsicott you'll see that all of its stats are nicely visualized at the top of the page, so it's really not necessary to say the stat numbers again)
* Whimsicott fits in a small niche as a Pokemon that can support Baton Pass teams well and not much else.
* Whimsicott sports mediocre natural bulk as well as no reliable recovery, which makes it harder for it to survive.
* The nerf to Prankster allow benefiting Dark-types such as Bisharp, Greninja, and Mega Gyarados along with the addition of Psychic Terrain makes it harder for Whimsicott to utilize its supportive moveset.

[SET]
name: Baton Pass Support
move 1: Memento
move 2: Tailwind
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Encore
item: Focus Sash / Darkinium Z
ability: Prankster
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Memento allows Whimsicott to safely bring in a Baton Pass or setup user while also providing them a safe way to boost up at the expense of Whimsicott.
* Tailwind provides an easier time for boosting Pokemon set up users such as Scolipede and Mew. It can also be used to warm up the game by providing a Speed boost to Pokemon such as Kyurem-B and Mega Metagross.
* Taunt can be used to cripple defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and Toxapex while also preventing Whimsicott from being under opposing Taunt due to Prankster.
* Encore is used to lock down other boosting Pokemon set up users such as Mega Charizard X, Quiver Dance Pheromosa, and Landorus-T as well as punishing entry hazard setters such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory.

Set Details
========

* Full investment in Speed allows Whimsicott to quickly set up Tailwind, Taunt, or Encore before falling. It is also crucial for Infiltrator variants to have as much Speed as possible to outspeed Pokemon such as Tapu Fini and Mew.
* Full investment in HP maximizes Whimsicott's bulk, allowing it to take a few hits from neutral coverage or uninvested attacks.
* Prankster is the ability of choice due to its synergy with Whimsicott's supportive movepool.
* Since Whimsicott is naturally fast, Infiltrator can be used over Prankster to allow Whimsicott to bypass Psychic Terrain and Dark-types. However, Prankster is still superior in most cases because since it guarantees Whimsicott will be able to use its moves due to the added priority.
* Focus Sash helps to ensure guarantees Whimsicott is at least able guaranteed to set up Tailwind and cripple its foe with Memento.
* Darkinium Z can be used instead due to its synergy with Memento, allowing Whimsicott to fully restore an ally's health while crippling the foe.

Usage Tips
========

* Whimsicott is exclusively used as a support Pokemon on Baton Pass teams.
* If running a Focus Sash, Whimsicott can be used as a suicide lead to quickly set up Tailwind and then Memento on out to a setup or Baton Pass user. While On the other hand, Darkinium Z variants are able to repeatedly disrupt the foe and then pivot out with Z-Memento when it's time.
* Switch Whimsicott into onto setup sweepers such as Landorus-T, Clefable, and Zygarde to lock them into their respective boosting moves.
* Whimsicott can also cripple the tier's multitude of defensive Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Toxapex, and Chansey with Encore or Taunt, allowing its team to use them as setup bait.
* Remember that Whimsicott will still be able to Taunt or Encore airborne Pokemon such as Skarmory and Gliscor under Psychic Terrain.

Team Options
========

* Scolipede and Mew are the tier's most prominent Baton Pass users that appreciate Whimsicott's support. Tailwind allows both of them to outspeed threats to provide them an easier time to set up, while Memento or Z-Memento helps bring them in to set up safely.
* If the initial Baton Pass strategy fails, Baton Pass boost recipients such as Necrozma, Mega Metagross, and Manaphy can still function well with Tailwind and Memento support from Whimsicott.
* Whimsicott can help safely bring in setup sweepers such as Mega Charizard X, Volcarona, and Mega Pinsir with Memento. They also appreciate Tailwind, (AC) since it will also allow them to outspeed their threats to either recover up or boost up further.
* Due to Tailwind, Midrange Speed Pokemon such as Tapu Lele, Hoopa-U, and Zygarde are able to outspeed faster threats such as Pheromosa, Choice Scarf Landorus-T, and Dugtrio under Whimsicott's Tailwind.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Whimsicott can opt for a utility pivot set that which fully emphasizes Prankster. The moveset would be Moonblast / U-turn / Encore / Stun Spore utilize Moonblast, U-Turn, Encore, and Stun Spore with Leftovers alongside full investment to in both HP and Defense.
* The combination of Substitute and Leech Seed takes advantage of Prankster, allowing Whimsicott to catch a switch-in with Leech Seed and proceed to stall its opponent foe out with Substitute. However, this set causes Whimsicott to be vulnerable to Grass-types, (AC) since it will be unable to do anything to them.
* Knock Off allows Whimsicott to catch an incoming switch-in to remove their item.
* Switcheroo + a Choice item or Lagging Tail can be used to cripple the tier's multitude of fast or item-reliant Pokemon such as Chansey, Alolan Marowak, Pheromosa, and Greninja.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: Dark-types such as Greninja, Mega Gyarados, and Hoopa-U can easily switch into Whimsicott's supportive moves or use it as setup bait due to their immunity to moves affected by Prankster. Bisharp does not mind the stat drops from Memento due to Defiant and can easily set up on Whimsicott. Meanwhile, Mandibuzz does not have to worry about Taunt while being able to Taunt Whimsicott itself.

**Psychic Terrain**: Tapu Lele's Psychic Terrain nullifies the effects of Prankster to for all grounded targets, which also allows them them to freely switch in to Whimsicott.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Celesteela, Magnezone, and Heatran are able to threaten Whimsicott out with their Steel-type STAB move. However, Mega Scizor and Kartana must be wary of being locked into Swords Dance when Whimsicott is able to switch in freely while they set up.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as both formes of Mega Charizard, Alolan Marowak, and Volcanion threaten Whimsicott with a Fire-type STAB move. However, Mega Charizard X and Volcarona must be wary of being locked into their respective boosting moves.

**Fast Priority Attackers**: Fast attackers with access to priority such as Mega Scizor, Mega Pinsir, Mamoswine, and Weavile are capable of knocking out Whimsicott after some prior damage.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)