Who improved the most?

Barring evolutions I think Gyarados has improved the most. Longer Taunt, physical water moves, Ice Fang, and Stone Edge has helped it a lot.

Machamp and Cradily improved quite a bit too.

I would say Gyarados since the split single-handedly made it the greatest thing since sliced bread, but just to be different...

Walrein. From what I understand, it was just a UU in ADV that couldn't do much of anything special. Nowadays, it's a staple on one of the more popular teams in standard. Walrein should be thankful that the likes of Dragontamer unlocked its true potential.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
How about Relicanth? That thing was really NU in ADV because it was just really outclassed by a lot of pokemon. It couldn't use its attack with anything because it was only base 90 and its 100/130 defenses were good, but it couldn't take a special hit very well at all, and add a lot of common weaknesses including a 4x weak to giga drain which could really screw it over.

Now this generation, it got an awesome move in Head Smash to compensate for the OK 90 base attack, plus it got an STAB move to actually use with Rock Head. It also got a real movepool to use its defenses with, using moves like Stealth Rock and Rock Polish to punish switches and prepare for a sweep. Plus it now has dual STAB because of Waterfall/Aqua Tail. With the 1.5x boost for Rocks in Sandstorm, now it can take hits from both sides of the spectrum perfectly fine as long as it isn't a grass attack.

It went from being really NU to being what is probably going to be one of the top-used UUs. Pretty damn good for not getting an evolution in my opinion.

Heh, I completely forgot about Relicanth.

IMO, though...a pokemon getting an evolution doesn't really count. If a pokemon's evolving, of course it's going to improve greatly. Though, some pre-evolutions did improve greatly AND evolve (Sneasel is a good example of this).

How about Relicanth? That thing was really NU in ADV because it was just really outclassed by a lot of pokemon. It couldn't use its attack with anything because it was only base 90 and its 100/130 defenses were good, but it couldn't take a special hit very well at all, and add a lot of common weaknesses including a 4x weak to giga drain which could really screw it over.

Now this generation, it got an awesome move in Head Smash to compensate for the OK 90 base attack, plus it got an STAB move to actually use with Rock Head. It also got a real movepool to use its defenses with, using moves like Stealth Rock and Rock Polish to punish switches and prepare for a sweep. Plus it now has dual STAB because of Waterfall/Aqua Tail. With the 1.5x boost for Rocks in Sandstorm, now it can take hits from both sides of the spectrum perfectly fine as long as it isn't a grass attack.

It went from being really NU to being what is probably going to be one of the top-used UUs. Pretty damn good for not getting an evolution in my opinion.
Hell yeah! I've had my steelix fall to this damn fish and it sweeps my BL/UU team until the fish is out of rape :(

For me, I think that sneasil and gengar improved by getting there Special/Physical stab, and pikachu became alot better now that the lightball alows brickbreak to take a number on blissey and snorlax.

Yeah evolutions don't count, Shoulda stated it more clearly in the first post heh.
Surprisingly, Skarmory and gengar are not as popular, as scizor is hugely popular :O
After we get some more opinions, I think I'll start a poll.
Relicanth indeed got a lot better, I completely forgot about him xD

Shedinja got the Focus Sash and access to Shadow Sneak making it somewhat useable this gen#

oh and rattata is now useable -- focus sash + endeavour = FEAR

Ninetales, Clamperl, and Gyarados. With the addition of some attacks and the improved Hypnosis Ninetales is a much greater threat than it was. Clamperl can be used with Trick Room. Gyarados actually got some good physical attacks to use with that massive attack.

Unfortunately, Flareon and Entei still are crying for some physical moves.

Gengar - because of shadowball
PS curse + ice shard Mamoswine
I think the pokemon improved the most is Arcanine.

Alright so we'll end it now i guess and I'll start a poll about it.
Contenders..
Tyranitar
Gyarados
Skarmory
Relicanth
Forretress
Breloom
Gengar
Scizor
Cradily

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alakazam got Focus Blast to 2HKO Blissey (with Specs/residual). Gengar got STAB and isn't relegated to somewhat-situational (McIceGar) mixed sets.

Nothing in this thread tops Sneasel. An evo and two excellent STABS pushed it from a joke to top-tier. Kind of like Azumarill.

azumarril and relicanth. imo pokes who started out good and got better (gar, tar) didnt improve as much as they did. they may have turned out better but the improvement is still lower.

and portgon guys????
Nobody remenber this freaking junkig hacks? Get new ability to double is stabbed moves, got nasty plot to increase is already huge ssp.att, got choice scarf to be a lot more quicker, get dark pulse for coverage plus hyper beam and tri-beam now special?????!!! WTF...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)