"Who said you can't make a creative team and do well"<== what he said

Hey guys,
This is my attempt at a creative and unexpected team, inspired by the "Who said you can't make a creative team and do well" thread and i think that this team is quite decent. i could really appreciate a rate on it because i feel that with some small changes it can become a whole lot better so any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

At A Glance

In Depth

Tyranitar (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Role: Tyranitar is the main reason I created this team. I have seen many different varieties all with their own speciality, making use of its behemoth stats but nowadays you never see a Dragon Dance Tyranitar. Dragon Dance is one of the best boosting moves in the game and the moment i found out it got it i needed to make a team around it. It functions as an early game sweep which i can rarely pull off thanks to the obscene prevalence of Scizor but, when bullet punchers are removed it becomes very difficult to stop.

Moveset: Dragon Dance Tyranitar is one of the most unexpected sets and it very hard to stop once it gets going. Anyone attempting a double switch to get their weather up I can simply Dragon Dance on leaving them vulnerable to Tyranitar's behemoth STAB's common fighting leads attempting to hit for x4 damage are destroyed by Tyranitar's bloodthirsty teammates **Cough**Archeops**cough**. After 1 Dragon Dance it can outspeed max speed base 110s and after 2 only priority can scratch it. Lum Berry allows me to laugh in the face of Rotom-W leads because Will-o-Wisp is basically a free Dragon Dance and if the Hax Gods decide to show there presence not much can stand in the face of a +2 Tyranitar. Stone Edge and Crunch are two insanely powerful STABs while Ice Punch nails Gliscor OHKOing it easily after 1 Dragon Dance and OHKOing after Stealth Rock unboosted. Tyranitar leaves my opponents scrambling for cover from the wrath of a giant green draconic sand lizard.

EV's: A Jolly nature with maximum speed investment may seem strange at first due to it outspeeding the most common Ninetales and Politoed sets thus forgoing sandstorm but most rarely someone tries to open with their weather because, well what the point! Why would you stay in if they it can hit you for huge damage and you think that you are faster? the max Attack is quite self explanitory.

Possible Replacements: Oddly enough Dragon Dance Scrafty has always seemed like it would fit in nicely but Tyranitar is very helpful due to its unpredictability and it's superior bulk. I have been thinking about Aqua Tail over Ice Punch to nail Terrakion however i lose my Gliscor coverage i.e I cant OHKO it after one Dragon Dance.

Archeops (M) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Role: Where do I start? This Ancient Avian Beast is like the glue that holds my team together. It can revenge kill nicely thanks to its base 110 Speed and it can Late Game Sweep but my favourite thing to do is exploit the unexpectedness of this set in OU. As a lead it can tear through unprepared teams lacking priority and can destroy fighting types such as Mienshao, Conkeldurr and Machamp looking to scare Tyranitar.

EV's: The given EV's and nature are to maximise Speed and the rest goes into Attack.

Moveset: Like I said before I love to revenge kill then unleash a Flying Gem boosted acrobatics on switch in (most people assume i am choiced) enough to OHKO Jellicent after spikes damage. Stone Edge and Earthquake are famed for their supreme coverage while Acrobatics is an insanely powerful STAB destroying the two out of the three EdgeQuake resistors: Virizion and the dreaded Breloom. Hidden Power Ice is really just a filler and is quite useless because Dragons are destroyed by Stone Edge and I am looking for a replacement for it.

Possible Replacements: Maybe Gliscor but it doesn't have the same WTF factor.

Flygon (F) @ Dragon Gem
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Role: Flygon is my most unexpected offensively orientated pokemon. Its first reaction is WTF, the second (when they find out the moveset) WTF, the third (when they hopefully lose) WTF! It can revenge kill and stand its ground against common OU threats such as Scizor. It is mainly a sort of utility on my team for taking down common threats to my team such as Scizor, Metagross, (bullet Punchers in general) bulky steel (mainly Ferrothorn) and paving the way for my other powerhouses to wreak havoc on my opponent.

EV's: The EV's are to maximise Speed and Special Attack and the rest is dumped into Attack. A Niave nature allows me to speed tie with base 100's while outspeeding anything below.

Moveset: This set is the most unexpected part of my team which is what i love most about it, I like to conceal its true intent by bluffing a choice locked Earthquake or U-Turn an wait patiently for my opportunity to arise. Although this moveset seems outclassed in almost every way by Hydreigon the reason i use Flygon is first of all because I am a big fan of using lower tier Pokemon and second of all due to its unexpectedness the like of Ferrothorn, Scizor, Forretress and other bulky steels would even consider switching out as a result eating a fire blast OHKOing all of them which is a huge advantage because the sooner they are out of the way the easier it is for Tyranitar and Archeops to proceed to sweep. Dragon Gem + Draco Meteor can put a dent in bulky water types such as Tentacruel and Vaporeon assuming i am choice-locked into Fire Blast the former recieving around 48-53% damage and the latter receiving 55-65% damage and then simply U-Turn out. Earthquake still remains a powerful STAB even without Attack investment while U-Turn has obvious advantages. While making this team I did not realize that i had a sort of Volt-Turn combo with Forrtress and Flygon which is very advantageous as it allows me to keep offensive momentum and get appropriate switches.

Possible Replacements: Life Orb over Dragon Gem

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- U-turn

Role: To be honest I hate Jirachi because of my hatred for Hax but it has somehow weaseled its way into my past 5 teams and it functions so well I honestly don't know what I would do without it. It can pass of decent Wishes to Archeops to deactivate Defeatist, the only reason its not a top tier threat in OU while it can heal off Life Orb damage Lucario has sustained and reactivate Sturdy for Forretress. Wish Passing in general is useful for any team but for me in particular I love giving my Tyranitar and Archeops a second wind.

EV's: The nature and EV's are the standard Smogon set which works extremely well allowing me to sponge off special hits and get some Parashuffling going on.

Moveset: Body Slam is to spread some Paralysis because i hate relying on speed-ties while Iron Head is a powerful and annoying STAB that can make you tear out your hair. Wish and U-Turn can Pass off wishes for Tyranitar and Archeops giving them a second chance to sweep late-game and clean up my opponent. The special bulk allows me to sponge of powerful water STABs that give my team a headache. Its role is fairly simple but it performs it so well that it has become nigh on irreplaceable.

EV's: The nature and EV's are the standard Smogon set which works extremely well allowing me to sponge off special hits and get some Parashuffling going on.

Possible Replacements: None.

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

Role: Forretress is primarily a Rapid Spinner who can also get some hazards up as well as hold its ground against an Outraging Dragon. In an offensive team such as mine he is the only one i cant turn to to sponge off powerful physical hits and imperitive to stop opposing offensive momentum.

Moveset: The moveset is quite simple Hazards + Rapid Spin and Volt Switch because it is so useful. There is really not much to say because I'm sure we are all aware of the niche that Forretress fills.

EV's: Another standard Smogon spread to maximise physical bulk.

Possible Replacements: None.

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

Role: Lucario is a useful Special sweeper which can check those annoying threats like Shell Smash Cloyster and the priority is also useful for picking off weakened but boosted foes. Lucario is also my only Special attacker.

Moveset: Nasty Plot lets him boost his Special Attack to formidable levels, Vacuum Wave is a great priority while Aura Sphere is his main fighting STAB. Dark Pulse helps me take down opponents such as Lati@s, Reuniclus etc. Lucario is to be honest lot that great on my team it just serves as a last Special sweeper with priority which is situationally useful.

Possible Replacements: Latias, Jolteon, Reuniclus, Virizion and any other Special powerhouse

Thanks for reading and i hope you can give contribute something, i will be greatly appreciative.

About to head off to bed *yawn*, but here's a few things that stand out to me:

- You really have nothing to tank a hit from Terrakion, especially a Banded one. Rachi is the best thing, but even he takes big chunks and isn't too happy about it. Gliscor > Archeops for sure will help with this. Archeops is quite literally just Death Fodder after going under 50% anyway. I'd suggest the Standard Set with SD since it can function as both a Wall and a Sweeper given the chance.

- That Flygon.... is interesting lol. In all honesty, it's highly outclasses by Latios be it Expert Belt or Specs/Scarf, though you do lose U-Turn (From personal experience, Scarf Hydreigon doesn't work well in Sand since you'll want to U-Turn a lot, but he'll be worn down easily from Hazards and your own Sand). Either way, beyond all doubt, you NEED a Scarfer to deal with fast threats and things that have Set Up. Whether you go with Scarf Lati or Flygon, I think it's for sure a better call than your current Flygon.

- U-Turn is nice to have on Rachi, however I think you'd benefit more by giving him Stealth Rocks instead. By doing so, you free up a slot on Forretress so that he can run Gyro Ball. This will let him actually do major damage to stuff like Outrage Locked Dragons, Terrakion that switch in, etc and not simply be a Wall/Spinner and complete Set Up Fodder.

- Personally, I really like the Double Priority SD Luke over the one you're using. With this set, he overcomes his lackluster Speed and can OHKO quite a lot throughout OU with ExtremeSpeed and Bullet Punch after only a single SD while Steels are left to die to Close Combat. It's, in my opinion, his most deadly Set... Would also just like to mention that your current Luke does nothing but die to Lati@s, Gengar, etc since he's outsped and OHKO'd unless you're hitting them on the switch.

Too sleepy to post the Sets I've mentioned lol, however you can find them all on the Smogon BW OU Page. While I get you're going for originality, that can only get you so far when you have extra weaknesses because of it. Hopefully I've given you some ideas and a few changes to consider :)

Hello, nice team, I like the use of Archeops.

A few hint :
- No resistance to water, I think rain dance teams could be a pain. Maybe a Gastrodon somewhere could help ? I would see it instead of Flygon, but you might miss your only real mixed sweeper.

- I would see a scraf for Flygon, really usefull for revenge killing. Or maybe an expert belt to bluff the choice, as it is quite common (in UU especially).

- Archeops can learn U-turn, you might give it to him instead of HP ice, and give him a Jolly nature, so he would have a little more staying power.

- Foretress is often set-up baith, that could be a problem. Two solutions : Gyro ball instead of Spikes, because he won't often have time to spin, spread rocks + three layers of spikes. And you lack a spin blocker.
Another funny and always surprising solution is keeping this set, but giving him a red card, so you can spread hazard while your opponent set up without fearing anything. Morevover, Jirachi's wish is a great help to make sure Sturdy will still be active.

- Shadow ball instead of Dark Pulse for Lucario. Hit the same thing, but neutral coverage against Toxicroak. No more flinch, but can decrease spe def instead, usefull against some walls.

Hope I helped.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So glad to see someone using DD Tyranitar,the most underrated set of BW OU.

This team is really awesome but as other raters have said,Terrakion. And,I couldn't help but notice that your whole team is Rock/Steel,meaning Rain teams and other Fighting types will crap on you,hard.

To fix this,I suggest running Sub CM RACHI instead of your current one. You can keep Wish if you'd like but Jirachi doesn't appreciate having just one attack. Now you can put Rain teams in a real bind and you can prevent being revenged by Terrakion and faint it with Psyshock as it breaks your Sub.

Archeops is cool and all but I would definetly go for a Sand Veil Gliscor instead since you have no Fighting resistance and he can set up rocks for you instead of Forretress. That said,that gives you room to replace Forry for another spinner such as Starmie,but that's your call.

I love the Flygon set,a lot.

As much as I love NP Lucario I feel you need a real revenge killer and right now he is a weak link alongside Archeops. Perhaps a Scarfed Luc with a similar special set could work. Or a SCARFED LATIOS. yes its standard as fuck but it works. Alakazam is another cool option since with his sky high speed and Magic Guard he can revenge kill without Scarf through the use of Focus Sash if necessary.

I would go with Inner Focus instead of Steadfast on Lucario. Lucario's defenses are not that good and it will rack up damage rapidly and all that flinching means it can't strike back. It is more valuable to be immune to the evil that is Jirachi that the boosts.

I will give you credit for using my second favorite dragon, Flygon (my favorite is Giratina-O because it is a Ghost and my first legend).

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I would go with Inner Focus instead of Steadfast on Lucario. Lucario's defenses are not that good and it will rack up damage rapidly and all that flinching means it can't strike back. It is more valuable to be immune to the evil that is Jirachi that the boosts.

I will give you credit for using my second favorite dragon, Flygon (my favorite is Giratina-O because it is a Ghost and my first legend).
^ this. Plus,stuff like Rachi that like to flinch will usually paralyze you first anyway,making any boosts negligible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)