Who says NU is Never Used? [NU RMT]

The NU category seems very out of date, if you ask me. This team attempts to take advantage of the OU of NU, including Regice, Medicham, and Tangrowth. With my anti-lead, three walls, bulky special sweeper, and physical sweeper, I'm playing mostly defensively.

One of the biggest problems I'm facing making NU teams is that there are a crapload of Pokemon in NU. In OU, I can say "I really need an Infernape counter" or "if Gyarados gets a Dragon Dance, I'm done." In NU, there's no list of common Pokemon to look out for.

The Anti-Lead
Rage (Entei) @ Heat Rock / Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Sunny Day
- Solarbeam
- Toxic / Stone Edge

Whenever people see a Fire-type Pokemon, they automatically switch to a Water-type to sponge up my Fire Blast. Sunny Day boosts my Overheat, lets me get some surprise KOs with Solarbeam, and protects me from the obvious Surf. With base 100 Speed, 252 EVs, and a positive nature, I outrun and Overheat almost everything in NU. Toxic is filler; I usually use it as a pseudo Explosion. It's also somewhat helpful against FEAR; Toxic on turn one, Overheat turn two, laugh on turn three. Since Fire-type Pokemon wall this set, I'm considering Stone Edge in the last slot. If I see a Sleep attack or other status move coming, I let Regice come in and take it.

If the opponent lays down some rocks, Entei becomes a suicide lead.

I rarely last long enough for Sunny Day to end without a Heat Rock, so I'm considering Life Orb for some extra oomph.

The Timebomb
Disgust (Regigigas) @ Leftovers
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Def
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Confuse Ray
- Thunder Wave
- Return
- Earthquake

My epic base 110 HP, Def, and SpDef aren't wasted in this set. Thunder Wave the first turn in, Confuse Ray the second, then hit with Return and Earthquake, giving me perfect coverage in NU: only Lunatone and Solrock resist the Normal / Ground combination. After my 5 turns are over, my 460 Attack rips through my opponent's team. Regigigas also serves as "safety net"; if something pops up that I can't handle, I can sacrifice Regigigas to cripple and dent it. 248 HP EVs because 252 of them makes me take "more" damage from Stealth Rocks.

The Wall
Scorn (Regice) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Nothing much to say about this guy. He absorbs status, and hits back with BoltBeam, giving great coverage. Rock and Fighting attacks are redirected to Medicham and Slowking, while Fire attacks go to Entei or Slowking. Basically, Slowking's got Regice's back. He also absorbs the Ice attacks that Tangrowth inevitably finds.

The Special Bulk
Anxiety (Slowking) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 212 HP/44 Def/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Slack Off
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Grass Knot

Calm Mind up and start dishing out some hurt. Slack Off is a no-brainer; heal back HP I lost with Calm Minding. Surf and Grass Knot give good coverage. Grass Knot is mainly for combating opposing bulky waters. This bulky water's Psychic typing doesn't go to waste, either. He takes Fighting attacks directed at the Regis like a champ. He also helps absorb Fire attacks after Entei is KO'd.

The Sweeper
Jubilation (Medicham) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Hi Jump Kick
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch
- Thunderpunch

480 Attack and great coverage. That's the easiest way to describe my physical sweeper. Great typing helps to compensate for my sub-par defenses. Regigigas laughs at Ghost attacks. Regice says hello to Flying types. I used to run Brick Break, but the extra kick I get from Hi Jump Kick is enough to risk the somewhat worse accuracy. My Fighting resistance isn't wasted, either; despite my poor defense, I can take most Fighting attacks and retaliate with Psycho Cut.

The Support
Jealousy (Tangrowth) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP/228 Def/28 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder

Everyone's favorite giant pile of vines returns to piss off more battlers. Start it off with Sleep Power. Knock Off the switch-in (or the asleep Pokemon). Leech Seed for passive damage and HP recovery (since I lack Recover or Rest), and Power Whip to deal more damage. Tangrowth laughs at the Fighting-type attacks thrown at Regigigas and Regice and Knocks Off their item, Leech Seeds, and Power Whips. He works well with Slowking, absorbing Electric attacks. Ice attacks go to Regice and Slowking. Slowking takes Fire attacks.

wow, nice job mate. Your team looks very thought out and performs very well.

One thing that looks out of place however is you entei. As a lead it doesent make any sense at all, seing as it doesent accomplish anything other than kill the opposing one which has probably already set up screens or entry hazards.

I'd swap it for slowking with

crotei 252 defense 252 hp 6 sp att leftovers timid

-flamethrower
-calm mind
-rest
-sleeptalk

a set which works brilliantly once rhydon or relicanth are gone. id also switch out slowking for a stealth rocker such as pinsir who also deal damage.

i would also give tangrowth synthesis over leech seed.

Your team appears to have quite a bit of trouble with a Mixed Flareon, who can 2HKO / OHKO your whole team.

I suggest you run a Calm Mind mixed Entei as opposed to your Anti-lead. If you run a set like this:

Rage (Entei) @ Life Orb
EVs: 56 Atk /252 Spd/56 SAtk
Rash nature (+SAtk, -SpD)
- Fire Blast
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power Grass
- Stone Edge

You should be able to easily switch into Flareon and OHKO it with Stone Edge. Not only that, but you can also easily set up Calm Minds and Sweep late game.

Now IMO, you NEED Stealth Rock on an NU team. The reason half the NU Pokemon are NU, is because of their SR Weakness (Regice, Entei, etc). While your Entei is now "better", imo, I think you should keep it hidden and use a different Pokemon as a lead.

Right now I don't see what Regiggas is doing for you, it looks like Dead Weight tbh. Why don't you use a generic Piloswine lead instead, especially since you have Pokemon to absorb its weaknesses. A Lead Piloswine looks like this:

Piloswine (M) @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Avalanche
---

I suggest you try that out, it lets you set up Stealth Rock, and 2HKO a shit-ton of things with EQ + Ice Shard.

One more thing. Now that you have Stealth Rock, and an effective way to deal with Flareon, I suggest you change your Slowking to a Trick Specs variant. Keep the same EVs except use Trick over Calm Mind, and also Psychic over Grass Knot, it has better two-move coverage and power. This will allow you to clear some of the special walls, such as opposing Slowking and the like for your own Entei sweep.

I hope this helps.

-flamethrower
-calm mind
-rest
-sleeptalk

a set which works brilliantly once rhydon or relicanth are gone.
Um... what's Crotei? >_>

Your team appears to have quite a bit of trouble with a Mixed Flareon, who can 2HKO / OHKO your whole team.

I suggest you run a Calm Mind mixed Entei as opposed to your Anti-lead. If you run a set like this:

Rage (Entei) @ Life Orb
EVs: 56 Atk /252 Spd/56 SAtk
Rash nature (+SAtk, -SpD)
- Fire Blast
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power Grass
- Stone Edge
I like it, thanks!

Right now I don't see what Regiggas is doing for you, it looks like Dead Weight tbh.
After 5 turns, I can sweep with him. Though, admittedly, that doesn't always happen.

Why don't you use a generic Piloswine lead instead, especially since you have Pokemon to absorb its weaknesses. A Lead Piloswine looks like this:

Piloswine (M) @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Avalanche
I think I'll try this out. I'm guessing 0 Speed IVs to make Avalanche stronger?

I suggest you change your Slowking to a Trick Specs variant. Keep the same EVs except use Trick over Calm Mind, and also Psychic over Grass Knot, it has better two-move coverage and power. This will allow you to clear some of the special walls, such as opposing Slowking and the like for your own Entei sweep.
I'll give it a shot. But I don't really see how that helps me get rid of enemy Slowking.

I could see you having problems with Drum-Salac Linoone. +6 Return OHKOs everything on the team except Tangrowth. If he runs ExtremeSpeed instead, it's still capable of OHKOing everything save the Regis, who still go down with SR damage. Even Tangrowth takes 75-89% from Return, which means he'll easily be OHKOd with still possibly KO'd with just a SR hit. And ES always 2HKOs.
Seriously, people need to stop posting Linoone as a threat. Nobody uses it and it's impossible to set up. The only way this guy can get a Belly Drum in is if it switches in on a choiced Ghost type attack. I understand that the prospect of a +6 Extremespeed is quite daunting, but as long as you're not daft enough to go using Stealth Rock after it switches in or something, then everyone can beat it.

Anyway, as for the rest of the team. Entei definietely needs replacing. A lead needs to do one of two things, set up, or prevent the opponent setting up. I know that Entei sets up Sunny Day, but when it only really helps himself (and actually hinders Slowking), there isn't much use for it. I'd definitely change him to either Piloswine (as Heysup mentioned) or Taunt Bibarel (It's on the analysis, I won't write it all up, don't want a wall of text), both will work excellently. Persian can fill a similar niche to Bibarel and is much faster, but I see the more defensive Piloswine or Bibarel working better in your team.

I would change Regigigas to Swords Dance+Quick Feet Ursaring with a Toxic Orb and Facade. He has the same resistances, gains a lot of power after a SD and he's faster than Regigigas after the Quick Feet boost. All that and he doesn't take 5 turns to set up. I'm suggesting him because your only physical presence is Medicham (scarfed) and Regigigas (open to being stalled and takes too long to set up), meaning that a smart Probopass or Regice can effectively wall 2/3 of your team (even then, Entei might have suicided, making it even easier), so because of this I'm suggesting Ursaring, who can switch in and set up on these special walls as they switch.

Regice is good, I'd say Charge Beam over Thunderbolt though, seeing as a ResTalk set should be in for a while, so the potential boosts outweigh the misses and power drop. Ice Beam after a +1 from Charge Beam sounds awesome too.

The rest of your team is fine too.

Good luck with it :)

The Anti-Lead
Rage (Entei) @ Heat Rock / Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Sunny Day
- Solarbeam
- Toxic / Stone Edge

Whenever people see a Fire-type Pokemon, they automatically switch to a Water-type to sponge up my Fire Blast. Sunny Day boosts my Overheat, lets me get some surprise KOs with Solarbeam, and protects me from the obvious Surf. With base 100 Speed, 252 EVs, and a positive nature, I outrun and Overheat almost everything in NU. Toxic is filler; I usually use it as a pseudo Explosion. It's also somewhat helpful against FEAR; Toxic on turn one, Overheat turn two, laugh on turn three. Since Fire-type Pokemon wall this set, I'm considering Stone Edge in the last slot. If I see a Sleep attack or other status move coming, I let Regice come in and take it.

If the opponent lays down some rocks, Entei becomes a suicide lead.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
to me your entei seems out of place if he isnt a necessity try leading with a pokemon that can set up stealth rocks, torkoal sandslash bastiodon are all viable options (however i think torkoal could be the best out of them)

if it is nessesery to lead with an entei, dont lead with a sunny day set use CM or CB instead personally id out it for torkoal or sandslash as both of thse can give spin support aswell as stealth rock support (this is good as you have nothing to take toxic spikes)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
wow, nice job mate. Your team looks very thought out and performs very well.

One thing that looks out of place however is you entei. As a lead it doesent make any sense at all, seing as it doesent accomplish anything other than kill the opposing one which has probably already set up screens or entry hazards.

-flamethrower
-calm mind
-rest
-sleeptalk

a set which works brilliantly once rhydon or relicanth are gone. id also switch out slowking for a stealth rocker such as pinsir who also deal damage.

i would also give tangrowth synthesis over leech seed.
Lava Plume probably works better because it you can then tank even harder in the physical spectrum with that good burn rate.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Unfortunately I cannot currently think of a replacement, but Tangrowth is actually UU. If you want to retain a supportive nature consider Vileplume but really I'd go with a Leafeon.

I Pinsir can run laps around this team all day out speeds everything but Entei and Medicham, and Super-Effectively hits everything but Medicham. I suggest replacing Regigas with Dusclops.

Dusclops @ leftovers
252 HP 252 Def Bold Nature
WoW
S-Toss
Pain Split
Shadow Sneak/Toxic

Also Regice is monster with Charge Beam over Tbolt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)