• Roserade

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Someone else who is not listed

Votes: 16 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who will you be using for Spikes, or who is the best do you think? I was just wondering what people thought. I realized there are others, but those are the ones that stick out in my mind.

I also excited that Omastar get's Spikes, because he's making a come back from R/B/Y, with his amazing special.

Stealth Rock will definitely take over for spikes.
Its a 1 turn set up and does 12.5% standard. Its resisted by Fighting, Ground, and Steel, but still not too bad. It really hits flying hard, while spikes just kinda sit there for flying types. Fire, Ice, and Bug also take a nice chuck from it, and if you're 4x weak to rock, good luck.

Ima' use Forretress/Donphan mostly, as they can Rock aswell as Spin.

Guys, the thread is for spikes, do not bash them xD. We all know Stealth Rock is better...

Skarmory of course, in OU
UU, Cloyster is the one and only, and he rocks. But Frosslass is a good option, too.
NU, either Cacturne or Glalie.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Then again, some people have decided that Stealth Rock is too easy to set up, so they're not even going to bother with a Rapid Spinner. Against those people (and there are a lot of them) you'd have an easier time softening them up with a Spikes.

A lot of people have said Spiking is a waste of time because there are so many heavy hitters that could do the job more easily, but the metagame's only been developing for a few months now. Experiment! You may find Spikes (and Skarmory) still have a place in it.

@FL above: psh. Cloyster deserves far better than UU.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Ehh.........Stealth Rock isn't exactly better than Spikes. Spikes hit pogeys such as Landshark harder.

Although Spikes + Stealth Rock could be annoying if you could prevent the opponent from spinning them away. If you're on the ground, you take 28.125% damage minimum (Lucario and Steelix). If you're flying you take a decent Stealth Rock damage. The only pogeys thay can escape this are levitators/flyers without a rock weakness

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There were two Pokemon that used Spikes well in ADV OU - Skarmory and Cloyster. Cloyster is hampered by Stealth Rock and probably not all that great now, so that leaves... Skarmory.

Clarification on how spikes, stealth rock, and poison spikes work:

So you only use stealth rock once (unlike spikes?)

What about poison spikes?

Is it possible to have stealth rock, spikes, and poison spikes all in effect at once?

Thanks!

Depends on my team. If I had to choose it'd be skarm. I'd much rather just stealth rock with Hippowdon or Swampert.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Clarification on how spikes, stealth rock, and poison spikes work:

So you only use stealth rock once (unlike spikes?)

What about poison spikes?

Is it possible to have stealth rock, spikes, and poison spikes all in effect at once?

Thanks!
Stealth Rock can only be used once. Poison Spikes can be used twice - one layer induces Poison, two induces Toxic. You can have all 3 on the field at once.

Cool, thanks. Are there any discussions on teams using all three + sandstorm/roar etc? Sort of like a new TSS that might work again?

Misty

oh
People generally don't use Poison Spikes because it's a bit risky - Heracross is on a lot of teams and loves an easy Guts boost.

Well, of course that when you're running a team with at least two moves (Stealth Rock and Spikes, for example), you take good care of your spikes, you must have a Dusknoir or a Gengar to cover Rapid Spin.

Froslass seems like a good Pokemon to use for spiking due to its speed and typing. If you can get Froslass in without it taking damage at all (via predicting Fighting/Normal attacks, slow U-turns, or even as a starter), you will be able to Spike a few times. You can use Sub or Focus Strip to minimize chances of it being OHKO'd so you can spike a few more times. Bonuses of using Froslass is that it resists Rapid Spin and can use Destiny Bond once it's done. Plus it gets a fast STAB Ice Beam (you can scare off those Dragons and get in free Spikes!)

swampert for stealth rock imo... skarm or forretress both do the job as far as spikes is concerned and cloyster is just cool (icicle spear hit 5 times!) so its always up to the trainer as any of these spikers are viable options

but maybe not omastar, he's got better things to do.

I did make a team using Spikes/P Spikes/SR once, using Aero to set up SR and Forry to set up spikes/P spikes.

I'm going with skarm here. The fact that it can phaze makes it a valuable pokey. And now that it has roost...

Although, Forry's ability to set up P spikes seems useful as well. O, and rapid spinning.

Roost/Stealth Rock/Drill Peck/Whirlwind Skarmory is just awesome, so that's what i'll go with. I'd really like to experiment with Cloyster though.

Also, I think that Rhyperior can handle a support/tank role with stealth rock.

There were two Pokemon that used Spikes well in ADV OU - Skarmory and Cloyster. Cloyster is hampered by Stealth Rock and probably not all that great now, so that leaves... Skarmory.
I'd say Forretress had a far easier time to rack up the pins than Cloyster. He was used as least as much.

I also excited that Omastar get's Spikes, because he's making a come back from R/B/Y, with his amazing special.
Omastar had Spikes in Advance and was never as "good" as in RBY. He's a great Rain Dancer or Spiker in Adv UU and will probably remain so, but he doesn't have any kind of comeback. One of the worst typings in the game.

If I ever use Spikes in a DP team they will come from Skarmory probably. Roseraider for the more comedic teams.

Skarmory, if I bother with it.

Thanks to poison spikes and sandstorm's +Sp. Def boost I'm sure TSS teams are still gonna see at least some use. Maybe even moreso. It's too early to say, but regardless Skarmory's the best spiker in most cases for me. The other ones are just too fragile...

Skarmory because of Roost and WW/Roar, it just seems to awesome a combo with Stealth Rock/Spikes.

I personally want to test Poison Spikes.. esp later on once I figure out how to stall in this generation (if even possible). Imagine if that existed during the GSC or ADV metagame..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)