[Wifi OU]Into Each Life Some Rain..Must Fall.

This is my first RMT, and it's my first Rain Dance team(Gasp, another one?!) and on PO I've had a lot of success with it.

At a Glance.

The Team.

Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Surf
- Toxic
- Protect
- Perish Song

Politoed is in for obvious reasons. Drizzle being the main reason. I chose the defensive set, because it is awesome. Surf being used instead of Scald for his main tool for damage, Toxic is great for adding on more damage, especially with Protect, which is great for scouting and for stalling so Toxic does more damage. Perish Song is also good to force the opponent to switch out. And use Toxic on another Poke(If the other guy switches out as soon as possible, which is usually the case), then I like to switch out to Ludicolo.

Toxicroak (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch

Black Sludge and Dry Skin with Sub is really good combo because in the rain, Toxicroak gains a lot of health, which is great with the Sub and Focus Punch combo, because I can use Sub and then set up Focus Punch for lots of damage. If my sub gets destroyed I can always use Poison Jab. Sucker Punch is used to counter Psychic pokes. This thing is a beast.

Ludicolo (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

This is my favorite Poke. I put Rain Dance on him just in case Politoed gets knocked out, and I need to put up rain again. Surf for damage. Energy Ball to counter other water types(Now changed to Giga Drain), and Ice Beam to counter Dragons, Flying, and Grass types. Ludicolo has great type coverage. Rain Dish and Leftovers helps him regain a significant amount of health. He's a great poke.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

There's no real reason Scizor is here. He's just a real good pokemon.

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Hardy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

After the suggestions of some of the users of the forum, I decided to switch out Swampert, fpr Quagsire, he's great for being on the defensive against pokes like Dnite, and Scizor.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

My last poke, Thundurus, set up nasty plot, and then Thunder can't miss in the rain, so it's pretty godly. Hidden Power Ice to deal with ground types.

So that's my rain team feel free to give any advice, and tell me what you think about it!

Former Pokes.

Overall, this is a pretty solid team, however, there are a few weaknesses. First, you have no counter to entry hazards such as Stealth rock or spikes, nor do you use them. Secondly, although Politoed handles the Tyranitar, Hippowdon and Ninetails, you have no real counter to Abomisnow and a hail team.

As such, one suggestion I can make is to replace either Swampert or Scizor with Forretress. The reason being is because of the following reasons:
-Rain reduces Forretress's primary weakness, fire, meaning it can wall and survive harder
-It provides rapid-spin, spikes, and toxic spikes support
-With a steel typing and ~300 defense, it makes a nice physical wall

If you also give Forretress either Gyro Ball or heavy slam, together with Scizor and his bullet punch they can check hail teams.

I'd also suggest looking into Escavalier, but Scizor has the main advantage of speed and priority.

Apart from that, it seems quite the solid team :)

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, this is a very solid team. However, there are a few small problems. From my playing experiences, the best pokemon to deal with rain in order are: Kingdra, Gastrodon, Rotom-W, Celebi, Ferrothorn. Ludicolo has Gastrodon covered and thats really pretty much it. An answer to Kingdra for any rain team is a must, as you are pretty much putting yourself in a situation where you must stall out the life orb recoil. I can't tell you how many times I've taken out half the members of the opponents team by just throwing out Kingdra on turn 1. The best for the job are Ferrothorn, Empoleon, and Vaporeon. It seems Ludicolo really doesn't do much besides act as another rain setter. I suggest Ferrothorn over it, since it can sponge meteors, hydro pumps, waterfalls, and outrages all with ease, and cripple it with Thunder Wave. You also now have Gastrodon covered as well.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Iron Barbs
Relaxed
252 Hp/ 48 Def/ 208 SpD/ 0 Speed IVs
Stealth Rock/ Spikes
Leech Seed
Thunder Wave
Power Whip DO NOT USE GYRO BALL. TWAVE LOWERS ITS POWER

The next group is much easier to deal with. Croak deals with Celebi and Ferrothorn, so no need to tamper with anything here. All you need to deal with is Rotom-W. Gastrodon severely outclasses Swampert bar the Choice Band version, it has the same typing, but a much much much better ability. Both of Rotom-W's STABs literally do nothing, actually thats wrong, Rotom-W's Hydro Pump gives Gastrodon a stat boost. It can also set up rain dance if you want. Its also decent counter to Thundurus.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Storm Drain
Calm
252 Hp/ 252 SpD/ 4 Def
Scald
Toxic
Recover
Earth Power/ Ice Beam/ Rain Dance

I also have a few suggestions that don't necessarily need to be implemented, but you could look into nevertheless.

Poison Jab won't be utilized much on Toxicroak. You can really replace it with anything you wish. Personally I prefer the Bulk Up set. But Ice Punch and Swords Dance are all fine options as well. If you opt for Bulk Up. Drain Punch should go over Focus Punch for the healing, giving you a nice tank.

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Dry Skin
Adamant
244 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 12 Def
Bulk Up
Substitute
Drain Punch
Payback/ Sucker Punch

Sand teams seems to give you a bit of trouble. You might like to experiment with Bronzong over Scizor. In both the Sand and Rain dominated metagame, Bronzong is a beast. There's no two ways around it. In the Sand, it brings down most of Sand's most common players, Excadrill, Landorus, and Gliscor. In the rain, it literally has no weaknesses, and can now hard counter Latios and Salamence. However, a problem about replacing Bronzong over Scizor is you now have a Terrakion/ Reuniclus problem instead of an Excadrill/ Landorus problem. But it does carry Stealth Rock, allowing you to run Spikes on Ferrothorn instead.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Levitate
Sassy
252 Hp/ 84 Atk/ 80 Def/ 92 SpD/ 2 Speed IVs
Stealth Rock
Gyro Ball
Earthquake
Hidden Power Ice

Hi

Nice rain team you have here, I got some suggestions though.

There is also no need for a Sassy nature on Politoed, I suggest a Bold nature with an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef, also try Scald over Surf as the burn side-effect will really benefit you. Politoed is already specially bulky so it's better to invest in his weaker physical defense.

I agree with the Ferrothorn suggestion instead of Ludicolo. Currently you lack entry hazards, although they could you net certain KO's due to a small amount of residual damage. Stealth Rocks and Spikes will really help your sweepers. A moveset of Spikes / Thunder Wave / Stealth Rock / Power Whip will suffice. Alternatively you could also go with Leech Seed for survivability, which could go over Spikes. Standard EV spread is more then good enough.
If you decide to keep Ludicolo, try Giga Drain instead of Energy Ball. Giga Drain got a boost this gen, and althought it's still 5 base points weaker then Energy Ball, the recovery you get makes it the preferred move.

On Toxicroak try Ice Punch over Poison Jab for better coverage, also an EV spread of 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe will fit better as it will give you maximum Dry Skin recovery as well as letting you outspeed opposing Toxicroak.

I also notice your have problems taking hits from strong physical attackers, and the likes of Thunderus can also be a bit problematic for you. You could try out Quagsire over the Swampert you are currently using. Thanks to Unaware threats like Sword Dance Excadrill, Bulk Up Conkeldurr and Nasty Plot Thunderus will no longer be an issue. With the Stockpile set you can take hits from both sides of the spectrum.

Since you have no spinner you could try to go with Leftovers instead of Life Orb on Thunderus, which adds to its survivability. After a Nasty Plot or 2 the drop in power is neglectable.

Hope these suggestions helped and good luck with your team.

Hi! Nice team you got! Solid rain offense. However, you will have some trouble if your opponent gets the sun up.

Latios @ Expert Belt / Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Timid / Modest (With Scarf)
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Surf

Latios provides nice resistances for Fire and Grass Type moves that many sun teams like to abuse.

Swampert may also enjoy Stealth Rocks over Rain Dance to ward off Volcarona's.

Good luck!

Dig your team reference haha :)
I like SD/Sub/Sucker Punch/Drain Punch Toxicroak over what you have now though. That may just be personal preference, but I think it'd be better. :)

Thanks guys for all your inputs, I'll look into replacing Swampert, he doesn't seem to do very good, so I'll look into to that. Ludicolo is my favorite pokemon!!! And he does great, I've won a lot of battles because of him. Toxicroak Focus Punch set does really good, almost OHKOs every time I use it(Or gets close). Thanks for your inputs :)

Also, Scizor is great for taking out Psychics, with U-turn and Pursuit(Especially since my friend has a team like mine, with Latios and I play him a lot) But I will look into replacing him.

Pretty solid so congrats on that.
Run giga drain over energy ball on ludicolo. It's such a better move this gen.
I suggest a Bronzong over swampert. It's an absolute tank under rain with no weaknesses.
It can also provide stealth rock support.

Itried using Bronzong, Ferrothorn, and Foretress, I suck with them, so I'm gonna stick with Scizor for now, I'm not very good with those types of pokes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)