Winning Sunshine! OU Sun, peaked 1350

Intro:
This team is by far the best I have ever built, and revolves around Sun, long considered the worst weather due to disadvantageous match-ups against the two other popular weathers, rain and sand. However, I tested a sun team, and I skyrocketed up the rankings, I mixed and matched pieces and came together with this team that as mentioned, has peaked 1350. The team is based around sweeping with a bulky Volcarona with a backup plan of cleaning up with a Venusaur. I am looking to get suspect reqs with this team, and thought posting a RMT in Smogon was the best way to get this done. At the moment, I’m sitting at a ranking of 1305, and decided to post a RMT. The best style of this team is probably offensive-balanced. Without further adieu, on to the team!
At a glance:
(speed forme)

(Speed Forme)
Team-Building Process:
I started with bulky Volcarona and Ninetales, to provide the ever-important sun
I then added Venusaur, a solid Chlorophyll sweeper that offered a Plan B
Deoxys-S was the next addition, setting up the hazards this team loves.
With two pokemon that were wrecked by rocks, LO priority spammer hitmontop came and offered spin support.
The final addition was because I needed a steel type, something to eat fire attacks, and a Scarfer incase I lost the weather war. ScarfTran fit the bill.
Onto the movesets!

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 96 SDef / 160 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sunny Day
- Roar
Ninetales is obviously here to provide the sun, but unlike most sun teams is far from worthless. This set is courtesy of Delko’s Sun RMT; I found it there, tested it, and immediately loved it. The set is built around keeping Sun in the game and crippling other weather leads. Flamethrower is a sun-boosted STAB that also makes sure Taunt doesn’t shut me down. WoW cripples physical sweepers, and the 12% residual damage really adds up. Roar racks up hazard damage and phases pokemon attempting to set-up on me. Sunny Day is the weird choice on this set, but it works great. Use Sunny Day on a predicted weather starter switch-in; and now their T-tar/hippo/politoed has taken hazard damage and failed to change the weather. All in all, this set is great.

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earth Power
- Overheat
‘Tran was added for his fire immunity and dragon resistance; ScarfTran is very rare and nowadays isn’t usually seen, which all but guarantees a surprise kill. Flamethrower is picked over Fire Blast, as I hate missing. HP [Grass] was picked over Ice to kill bulky waters, Heatran’s nemesis. Earth Power takes care of other Fire types and Heatran itself, and Overheat works perfectly for a hit and run strategy. As useful as Tran is, I am considering replacing him.

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- SolarBeam
- Synthesis
Venusaur is THE best chlorophyll sweeper in my opinion; he packs decent power and blazing speed. With this spread, he reaches 519 speed, outspeeding +Speed nature Deoxys-S. SolarBeam is used over Energy Ball because Venusaur needs all the power it can get, and the extra power turns a lot of 2HKOs into OHKOs. HP [Fire] and Sludge Bomb are two pseudo STAB moves and both work rather well. Synthesis is needed to heal off LO recoil and heals a rather large chunk of health when in the sun.

Deoxys-S @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 232 HP / 160 Atk / 116 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Superpower
- Spikes
Man, I love Deoxys-S. He is a staple on all my teams for his great hazard-setting ability. His EVs are customized to survive a non-banded Ttar Crunch without going down to his Sash while 160 ATK OHKOs standard TTar if it lacks Chople Berry. The rest is dumped into Speed. SR and Spikes are awesome hazards that this team loves, and a ridiculous amount of leads are shut down by Taunt. A quick Turn 1 Superpower that OHKOs a ttar has made many a ragequit.
Hitmontop (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Mach Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Rapid Spin
After needing a spinner, I settled on LO hitmontop. Sure, the LO greatly decreases survivability but the extra power is worth it. LO fake out + mach/sucker punch has saved me from sweeps so many times, it’s not even funny. Plus most people neglect to have a spinblocker, so Hitmontop has a chance to spin a LOT of the time.

Volcarona (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Morning Sun
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
Ah, the star of the team. Bulky QD morning sun Volcarona. This guy usually signals good game; with the great bulk I can easily get 1 or 2 quiver dances in, heal up with morning sun and sweep. Morning Sun heals 66% in Sun, but naturally this doesn’t always happen; however Volcarona’s great bulk can still permit a sweep.This set is really only walled by Heatran; Gyarados can be burned by Flame Body, and Jellicent doesn’t pose a threat; Volca can QD to +6 and then destroy it with +6 bug buzz/fiery dance. Bug Buzz is the premier 90 power STAB but Fiery Dance is the special thing here. While rather weak at 80 base power, it has a pseudo double STAB and gives me a chance to raise my Sp. Atk; it is kinda like Moxie in that regard. This guy is great; I urge you guys to try him out!
That concludes the team; good luck rating it.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, nice team. First things first. I suggest using a Substitute Volcorona instead of your current version if you want to plow through Jellicent, since you lack a cleric. Jellicent can easily Toxic you and laugh as you die. It prevents Volcorona's sweep from getting screwed over by a random Thunder Wave. Best of all, it gives it a chance to bypass the revenge kill from Choice Scarf Landorus.

Volcorona @ Leftovers
Flame Body
Timid
252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
Substitute
Quiver Dance
Fiery Dance
Bug Buzz

Minor change: Ninetails' EV spread is 252 Hp/ 96 SpD/ 160 Spe since you don't run Hidden Power Fighting.

Venusaur doesn't hit very hard with only 100 Base SpA. As well, Solarbeam is basically asking Tyranitar and Politoed to come in and change the weather. I suggest swapping to a Growth+Energy Ball+Hidden Power Fire+Sludge Bomb set. This lets you get that endgame sweep much more easily.

Finally, there's a reason Scarftrans are rare nowadays: They suck. I suggest swapping to an Air Balloon variant. Currently your team has no answer to Landorus outside of the sun. Heatran can also take out some troublesome DD Dragons which are always a nuisance. I wouldn't replace Heatran outright. Since it means you'll need another Fire absorber and steel type. Meaning you'll probably have to drop all 3 of Heatran, Hitmontop, and Deoxys-S to make fixes.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Flash Fire
Modest
252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpD
Fire Blast
Flamethrower
Earth Power
Hidden Power Ice

Thanks, NWO. SubQD Volca sounds awesome. I'll try the Growth set again, last time I tried it I kept dying to LO recoil; as I said ScarfTran wasn't performing well, so BalloonTran will be implemented

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)