Wreck-It Ralph: Video Game Cameos Galore

I'm shocked that Disney could get the rights to get all these cameos
I hope this movie doesn't suck and i hope they use nostalgia factor
for a couple years now i've just assumed disney owns roughly all characters in the world, surreptitiously or not

How much did they pay nintendo,sega and etc. to use their characters in a movie? I look forward to this game actually having good graphics despite it being a movie.

EDIT: Really dont like Disneys newer movies but this actually looks pretty decent...

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I like how every intellectual property owner charged them an acceptable sum of money to use their property except for Call of Duty.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Oh fuck yes I want to see this. The story is rather cliche since there's already been several children's films about a bad guy turning good, but it doesn't look too unbearable either. I do hope that the film does go for an older demographic especially since Disney's usual demographic aren't going to get a number of the references.
Then again, fitting in all of those characters are a huge marketing ploy because people who normally wouldn't see such a film are going to want to see it just for the familiar characters. Well done, Disney marketing.

I like how every intellectual property owner charged them an acceptable sum of money to use their property except for Call of Duty.
I would assume they didn't attempt to get CoD. Partly because from a Disney movie perspective the series has no interesting characters and partly because since the FPS game is a major plot point (it seems) they woukd rather use a made up property for more freedom. It's the same reason the main character isn't from a real game.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
BUMPING THIS

Wreck-it-Ralph went above & beyond my expectations. What a movie! Awesome characters, great worlds, a 10/10 soundtrack, a bang up villain, and a message that you could actually relate too.

Ralph wrecking the cart was like the saddest thing I've ever seen.

To put it another way

SWEETMOTHEROFWHATEVERVANELLOPESAYSTHEMOVIEWASFUCKINGINCREDIBLE!!

Best movie of 2012, and dare I say my favorite animated movie ever (yes it even beat Toy Story 3 for me)

#comeatmemotherfuckers

spoilers

holy shit, i also legitimately fucking cried when ralph wrecked the cart because you had to watch vanellope screaming and it was so heartwrenching, i also cried when ralph was going to commit suicide into the mentos mountain and started reciting the bad guy affirmation

2 other parts i thought were emotionally impactful
-- the scene of vanellope being trapped in sugar rush forever (during candy king's monologue)
-- the final villain squeezing ralph's eyes open and saying "WATCH YOUR FRIEND DIE" like omg

if anyone watches walking dead, that cart scene reminded me of merle screaming on the rooftop of the building in atlanta because t-dogg left him to die in the first season

definitely not the best movie of 2012, but better than what i thought an animated movie would be

edit: i should probably also mention that i dislike videogame culture in general and didn't care about a single reference, if any haters are vacillating about whether to see it or not

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
holy shit, i also legitimately fucking cried when ralph wrecked the cart because you had to watch vanellope screaming and it was so heartwrenching, i also cried when ralph was going to commit suicide into the mentos mountain and started reciting the bad guy affirmation

2 other parts i thought were emotionally impactful
-- the scene of vanellope being trapped in sugar rush forever (during candy king's monologue)
-- the final villain squeezing ralph's eyes open and saying "WATCH YOUR FRIEND DIE" like omg

if anyone watches walking dead, that cart scene reminded me of merle screaming on the rooftop of the building in atlanta because t-dogg left him to die in the first season
so is this something i can take my 5 year old who loves videogames to see or... because i was going to but...

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
No, you should be fine, no main characters have a gruesome death (one person dies, but you don't actually see it).

Tied with Avengers for me for best movie of the year (mostly because one induces nerdgasims of videogames, the other of comic book superheroes). Both better than Batman 3 as well.

But yeah, this is probably the best Disney film in years, not that Tangled or The Princess and the Frog were bad, but this film outclasses them badly. It was definitely a wise move to buyout Pixar, as I have a feeling that without their hand and influence, this movie could have turned into another Super Mario Bros. But instead, it's just...well great. It even beats out Pixar's usually great offering for the year, Brave.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
My favorite parts were the scenes with Sgt. Calhoun and Felix. I seriously burst out laughing at some of their exchanges. But yeah, backing up the other posters I recommend this film, it definitely holds it own and doesn't rely on the nostalgia/video game references crutch to be an enjoyable watch. My only complaint is that there weren't many shmup references in a film about arcade games, though I heard that Gradius was in a cut scene or something.

As other users have already said, definitely my movie of the year (at least until The Hobbit comes out, and even then it may still be the best). Go see it, you owe it to yourself.

As for my favorite scenes, my word, any scene with one of the main characters in it is one of my favorites. The characters in this movie are really good at making scenes that work.

So did anyone bother watching it in 3D? I just saw it in 2D since I was seeing it with others and they couldn't make the 3D time, but I assume it would probably make it even more of a treat.

One oddity I thought in retrospect, I'm kind of surprised they didn't bother tossing in any Tron stuff; I mean that's one of their IPs they could have worked into the movie and subtly promoted, just seems odd they wouldn't do that. I mean, they did come out with a Tron arcade game even back in the day...

But yeah, still great movie, gonna have to find time to watch it again just to see if I missed any cameos or references.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
so who else noticed how similar ralph wrecking mentos mountain was to the ending of iron giant

you are who you choose to be ~~~SUPERMAN~~~

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Just watched it, I thought it was pretty good for a kids movie. The storyline was typical but surprisingly gripping, I'm ashamed to admit it but I almost cried at some parts lol. Reminded me a lot of Toy Story 3 in that way. Highly recommend it.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I watched it just an hour ago at the local theatre and was very impressed by the plot twist. I did not expect to see what I saw.

Overall the movie was charming and cute and I enjoyed much of it. My favorite parts would probably be the Street Fighters making up after their fight at the beginning of the movie and the hinted Metal Gear Solid reference when Ralph pulls the exclamation point out of the lost and found box.

What can I say? It was a great movie and I enjoyed all the references. It is definitely a film that would not be enjoyed nearly as much by those who do not understand a lot of the cameo's, however.

My only real gripe was the fact Silverman was the voice for Vanellope van Schweetz. I adapted to it eventually, but I really cannot stand much of anything from that lady.

And for those who are unaware, the zombie is from House of the Dead. His iconic double-hatchets attest to this.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
so who else noticed how similar ralph wrecking mentos mountain was to the ending of iron giant

you are who you choose to be ~~~SUPERMAN~~~
Saw it today and screamed "IRON GIANT" when he took the pose

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just saw Willy Wonka and the Cultural Commodification today. My favorite performance was given by the person who is not a voice actor but has a recognizably silly voice and is playing the same sort of character they play in every live action movie. I think it was a good idea to put the entire movie in a setting as far removed from video games as possible. They have to pay to use some references, but with candy they can get paid to advertise in film to balance that out. I think this was truly worth it so that they could have one funny joke based off of the Sonic children's television series. Course there was more than just video game humor! I was rolling on the floor laughing with all of the poop jokes. I also liked the one slapstick segment with the quicksand, because the characters told us it was funny. I might not have known to laugh otherwise.

This movie should be shown in film schools with a lesson on how to inject emotion into the story. Step 1, make everyone but the main characters assholes. Step 2, characters will die because of plot convenience. Step 3, done. But we cannot always be so innovative. Paying homage to the Iron Giant really got me teared up, and I'm so glad Ralph didn't actually die or anything. I always thought that was the gayest part of the Iron Giant. I agree with you guys so much about how the moral of the story is good for kids too. Everyone has their station in life, and going against it screws up the natural order making everyone homeless in the end. Confucius would approve.

And I totally didn't cringe every god damn time they said "going turbo". I had psychically predicted that it involved a character that hadn't been introduced yet, and not Street Fighter 2 Turbo which is an awesome game. You can't really blame the writers for missing that this is already a well known video game concept that just happens to involve the same character who first says "going turbo" in the movie. It's not like the movie is about video games or anything. Now I look back at my pessimism when I saw that Zangief was incorrectly labeled a villain and I realize something. This movie is Shakespearean. Cause it's a comedy of errors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)