SM OU xeno.

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender

Hey guys I'm Amoonguss / litwick and I'm here to present a Bulky Offensive team I created. Bulky Offense has been my favourite playstyle since the early days of ORAS. During the outset of SM, I was struggling to see the use of fatter teams, so I stuck with general Hyper Offense. With the recent banning of Genesect, Bulky Offense became a much more preferred playstyle for me, as I don't need to worry about half my team getting one shotted by Genesect's coverage. I haven't really gotten any big accomplishments with this team, but this is team is pretty good in my opinion, and had the chance to test it vs really good players like Paycard. I've only built this team a few weeks ago, so it is pretty up to date with metagame trends and people I've given it to say it works quite well, on ladder at least.

Teambuilding Process

Getting into the building process, I wanted to use something that could provide an offensive presence, while also being able to tank a hit or two, this is usually the main goal of most bulky offensive teams. Nihilego sounded great for this role, as with its incredible Special Defensive bulk, and average physical bulk it can easily take a hit from very common threats to balance such as Mega Charizard Y, Volcarona, Tapu Koko, Mega Pinsir, and even Choice Scarf Tapu Lele. Choice Scarf seemed like a good option since with its nice speed tier, just outspeeding Tapu Lele, it can revenge kill Scarf Tapu Lele, and even faster threats like Mega Pinsir, Latios, and Life Orb / Choice Band / Choice Specs Pheromosa before a Speed boost. While it could be argued that Toxic Spikes is the superior choice on Bulky Offense, I prefer Choice Scarf thanks to its ability to revenge kill and potentially sweep teams with Beast Boost boosts.

Now, my first thought wasn't "what helps nihilego on bulky offense", but rather "what does nihilego help on bulky offense". The first thing that came to my mind was Ferrothorn. Thanks to Nihilego's amazing typing and offensive coverage, it can pick off things that give Ferrothorn a lot of trouble, especially when it's setting up hazards, the most prominent examples include Mega Charizard X/Y, Volcarona, Mega Alakazam, Celesteela, and the list goes on forever. The best part about pairing Ferrothorn with Nihilego is Ferrothorn also provides great utility for Nihilego. With access to spikes, it wears down common Nihilego answers such as Tyranitar, Mega Metagross, and Magearna. Also with its great typing it can resist most of the things Nihilego is weak to, mainly Psychic, Steel, Water, and Leech Seed most Pokemon of those types weakening them to be put in range of a strong hit.

At this point, I noticed that this team was very ground weak. Something like DD Landorus-T, or even Scarf Landorus-T would easily be able to win vs this team as I lack a solid resist. To help deal with this I decided to add a Landorus-T. The main thing that Landorus-T provides is a nice way of dealing with almost all ground types and also a Stealth Rocker. With Intimidate, Landorus-T can become a very solid Excadrill counter which this team really needed, and punish it for attacking, potentially putting it in range from a hit from Nihilego. When it comes to team synergy, apart from being a great ground resist it can come in on Mega Charizard X, stop Volt Switches from Magearna, and come in on Alolan-Marowak which nothing on this team can do. Looking at Landorus-T's weaknesses, they're all covered by Ferrothorn and Nihilego, Nihilego checking Ice Types with Power Gem, and Ferrothorn beating water types with Power Whip.

Coming up next, I noticed this team is quite weak to Scarf Pheromosa, and also had trouble breaking Mega Venusaur. To cover this weakness, I added a Mega Pinsir. Mega Pinsir's incredible attack stat, and access to a strong Aerilate boosted Return allows it to OHKO Mega Venusaur. With access to Quick Attack, it can easily OHKO Pheromosa, but the Pinsir user must be wary of Psychic Terrain which is often paired with Pheromosa. Looking at team synergy, it's mostly offensive rather than defensive, providing a way to deal with many fat things that this team struggles to beat. On the other hand, Nihilego can deal with fast electric types, most notably Tapu Koko which can easily outspeed and KO with STAB Thunderbolt. Ferrothorn and Nihilego also both deal with Scarf Tapu Lele pretty well, which OHKOs Mega Pinsir, and also blocks priority.

For the fifth slot I decided on using Ash Greninja. If you look at the team now, it's clear that Mega Metagross is a huge huge threat. With it's amazing typing, and coverage in Hammer Arm, and Ice Punch it can easily kill everything on my team while I wouldn't be able to do much back. For this reason I added an Ash Greninja which can offensively check Mega Metagross, with access to Choice Specs Dark Pulse. It can also U-Turn out on it as it switches, luring in Mega Venusuar potentially giving Mega Pinsir a free kill. Ash Greninja also hits Steel types quite hard, making Mega Pinsir and Nihilego much more greater threats. In return, Nihilego can stop offensive Dragons from setting up and sweeping, most notably Salamence and Dragonite which can both take a hit and setup.

Finally, I decided to add an Excadrill as the last member. One of the biggest things Excadrill provides is Rapid Spin support for Mega Pinsir. The main reason I didn't want to use Tapu Fini is Defog gets rid of my own hazards, since this is somewhat hazard stack getting rid of my spikes just so my pinsir won't die when it switches in seems kinda silly. Excadrill also provides me with another way of dealing with Mega Metagross. While you could say Tapu Fini can switch in and bring it down to half, I don't really think it's all that reliable to beat Mega Metagross as they can continuously spam Meteor Mash and there's nothing you can really do besides get off 50%. However, Excadrill can almost OHKO it from full, or even put it in range of Nihilego's / Pinsir's hits. Excadrill's main counters include Celesteela, and Landorus-T, both of which don't like taking a Hydro Pump from Ash Greninja. In return, Excadrill can switch into and beat Tapu Koko which Greninja in it's pre ash forme fails to do.

Set Analysis

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Nihilego's main usage in OU is to just kill stuff, or weaken things for a teammate. In this team it accomplishes nothing but that, with great STABs and coverage it can pick off a lot of the metagame and also get even stronger as it gets off one kill. What sets Nihilego apart from other things is that it's really good bulk lets it switch into common wallbreakers and scare them out with it's moves. Nihilego can also serve as an alternative Charizard-X check if it manages to setup and break past Landorus-T. Nihilego can also pave a way for Mega Pinsir to sweep if it can hit Celesteela hard with a Thunder putting it in range of a +2 Return from Mega Pinsir.

Moving onto the moveset, Power Gem and Sludge Wave are it's main STABs and hit a lot in the metagame really hard. The most prominent it examples it doesn't hit include Celesteela, Metagross, Ferrothorn, and Magearna/Jirachi. To help deal with Celesteela, Thunder is a fantastic option in the third slot as it can hit Celesteela quite hard, and does the job better than Thunderbolt which fails to 2HKO. Thunder may also be my option vs things like Manaphy which can eat up Power Gems and Sludge Waves, but does not appreciate taking a Thunder, especially when beast boosted. Hidden Power Fire is the last move and this is typically used to lure in steel types that resist Thunder. The main examples are Ferrothorn and Excadrill which both resist its stabs, resist thunder, but do not appreciate taking Hidden Power Fires as they are both at risk of a 2HKO.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Ferrothorn's main role on this team is to getup hazards and wear down threats. With it's amazing typing it can take hits from Tapu Lele, Greninja, Tapu Koko, Magearna, and many many more. Ferrothorn is preferred on this team over Skarmory as even though Ferrothorn doesn't have recovery, it can still hit defensive threats to this team, mainly Tapu Fini hard with Power Whip, and wear things like Magearna down with Leech Seed. It's typing also lets it take hits from a lot of Nihilego answers such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Metagross while wearing them both down, and putting them in range of attacks from Nihilego with Leech Seed.

Regarding the moveset, it's pretty simple. Spikes is there to wear down grounded mons that can deal with Magearna even further, which can put them in range of it's attacks really quickly. Leech Seed also fulfills the same role, but this also heals Ferrothorn and coupled with Leftovers Ferrothorn can get back to full really quickly. I was debating using Gyro Ball over Power Whip, but in the end I ultimately decided that Power Whip is better. Tapu Fini, which can easily take a hit from Nihilego, Greninja, and Taunt Ferrothorn proved to be a huge annoyance. To somewhat deal with this I used Power Whip which easily 2HKOs Tapu Fini, which means if they try to Defog or Taunt you, Power Whip will take off a nice 50%. Protect is here so Ferrothorn can have a free turn of healing with Leech Seed + Leftovers. Since I rely on Ferrothorn to deal with so much the extra 20% or so this gives you is huge

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

When it comes to Landorus-T, it usually serves as a ground check. On this team this is my main way of dealing with coil Zygarde which could be a wincon for my opponent's team if they break past this. Landorus-T also provides acts as my main Physical tank really, this thing can beat the likes of Mega Charizard X, Excadrill, Salamence, and Tyranitar all of which are major threats. Outside of that, this is usually used as a pivot to pivot into Volt Switches, setup moves, and most weak physical moves punishing them with Rocky Helmet recoil. Landorus-T can also bait out fat grasses like Tangrowth, and U-Turning out into Nihilego to net a KO.

Move wise, this set is also simple. U-Turn is there as a way to shift momentum, and lure out things. If someone brings in their Charizard on my Ferrothorn, I can go into my Landorus-T, and U-Turn out predicting a switch giving me all the momentum. Stealth Rock is also a simple choice. This chips down flyers and things that are not effected by spikes, and even things that are doing a lot of damage for just switching in. It also puts things in ranges as 12% every turn is a lot in the long run. Hidden Power Ice is mainly used to hit Zygarde, and opposing Landorus-T. These could be massive threats if my own Landorus-T is gone. Finally Earthquake is just solid STAB, and hits non flying steel types really hard like Magearna and Excadrill, it's also what I would click if I'm just trying to wear something down.

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Mega Pinsir is my main win condition for this team. With it's very solid attack stat and decent speed it finds itself winning a lot of games. Mega Pinsir breaks past fighting types and grass types that this team has trouble breaking. It's speed tier lets it outspeed unboosted charizard formes and choice specs tapu lele which is really big for this team as I don't really have a solid answer to any of those things. One of Mega Pinsir's biggest counters, being Rotom-Wash is easily dealt with by Ferrothorn, as it can easily use Rotom-Wash as setup fodder for Hazards and Leech Seed.

Return is Mega Pinsir's strongest move an hits incredibly hard after just one Swords Dance. With the ability to do more than 55% to Celesteela after one Swords Dance shows you just how powerful this monster really is. Quick Attack is used to hit things faster than it, most common examples include greninja, pheromosa, latios, mega alakazam, and kartana. Swords Dance is it's setup move and it doubles its already massive attack stat meaning that it can break teams very easily after just one Swords Dance boost. On the last slot, it's a tossup between Close Combat and Earthquake. In the end i decided that Earthquake is the better option as I can hit Magearna really hard even when unboosted and weaken it for Nihilego to win. Close Combat is an option to hit Rotom-Wash harder, but this team already has multiple Rotom-Wash answers.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Water Shuriken

Greninja on this team is my main Mega Metagross answer. As I stated before Mega Metagross is a huge threat to this team as it has the ability to kill every single pokemon with ease. Ash Greninja can check it and make it less of an issue than it originally was. Aside from that, Ash Greninja is also a great way of dealing with fast offensive fire types, mainly heatran which could have given this team trouble. It also hits a lot of things neutrally with Dark/Water STAB and with Choice Specs all of this things moves hit super hard. It also has priority meaning that faster threats like Pheromosa, and Alakazam aren't that reliable due to the risk of getting one shotted.

Hydro Pump is Greninja's main water stab and is very spammable. After Greninja transforms into its Ash Forme it gets a base 153 Special Attack stat hitting everything much harder than before. Dark Pulse is Greninja's other STAB and hits even more things neutrally, and also has a flinch chance meaning anything slower doesn't 100% beat Greninja :). U-Turn is here so Ash Gren can u-turn out on bulky grasses / waters into either Mega Pinsir or Nihilego giving them a free kill, or a chance to win the game. Finally Water Shuriken acts as Greninja's priority move picking off virtually everything that's faster than it.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin​

And here's the last mon. Excadrill's amazing attack and typing make it a perfect last for this team. It's ability to check Metagross was a defining factor for choosing Excadrill on this last slot. It's great speed lets it outspeed a lot in the metagame, only being outshined by other scarfers. It's ability to clean up games is also huge as if my other two win conditions were weakened this would be able to clean up with either Iron Head or a strong Earthquake. A lot of it's natural checks are checked by the rest of the team ensuring that Excadrill will do a lot of work almost every game.

Regarding it's moveset, it's first move is Earthquake. This move is very spammable and effective vs teams with no Ground resist. The next move is Iron Head which hits a lot of flyers without the risk of a Rock Slide miss, and also has a nice flinch chance which could win some games. Rock Slide is the next move and that hits most flyers that resist Steel, mainly Zapdos, Pelipper, and Mantine, while also hitting things like Salamence harder than Iron Head. Finally, Rapid Spin is used to clear up hazards for my Mega Pinsir. Mega Pinsir hates Stealth Rock and doesn't appreciate taking 50% upon switching in, so Rapid Spin support is key for Mega Pinsir to succeed in most cases.

Threatlist

Mega Scizor is very annoying for this team to deal with as if it can getup even one swords dance it has the potential to win. This can be played around by with Greninja+Pinsir but it can get annoying if it sets up.
If excadrill is gone shift gear mag could be troublesome. With the ability to setup on a choice locked Nihilego it can easily win the game at that point. This could be played around by if you don't let Nihilego get choice locked and have Excadrill die.​

Anyways, that was my RMT hope you guys liked it. This team isn't the greatest of them all but it's pretty fun to use. It's also nice that it can play around almost all matchups and deal with most of the biggest threats its weak to. Look forward to playing more of this tier, later.

importable

Last edited:
Really nice team altogether. The dual scarf archetype on offense is usually a surprise and very useful. The only problem I see is that this team has a very apparent stall weakness as nothing can stall break on your team. Drill and Pinsir are more or less hard walled by the combination of Quagsire + Skarmory, Greninja and Nihilego are easily shut down by Chansey, Ferrothorn basically becomes deadweight while Mega Sab is alive and finally Landorus runs the very good/common rocky helmet set which is unfortunately worn down by stealth rocks and toxic damage extremely easily. I feel as though a set up sweeper in combination with a z-move of sorts can help you defeat stall. You can also run common stall breakers like shed shell Lele (Assuming dugtrio stays in the tier). Thanks for letting me rate your team man, it for sure is a great team and has alot of potential.

-Smogon Genie

Last edited:

ADF Test

Banned deucer.
Hallo, This team has an incredible time dealing with stall. The replay you posted showed someone using stall quite horribly. You have really nothing to break stall at all, and at this point, itshard to really change anything for the team.

>Two scarfers; people like you should be tied to a chair and be perpetually bombarded with pieces of heavy metal (double entendre).

I honestly really like the chemistry of this team on paper however I can see to an extent how stall breaking can be of a serious issue to this team. For example, a Skarmory can prove to be extremely problematic since it can come in and either Defog, spread hazards, or Whirlwind your team about on half of the team (Excadrill being restricted by being Choice Scarfed, Pinsir and Landorus). This is definitely a cause for concern as your answers to Skarmory are checked with relative ease if paired with defensive teams that boast Pokémon like Chansey and Toxapex. Therefore, perhaps it would be better if you were to make this change:

Landorus-T: Hidden Power Fire > Hidden Power Ice

This change not only aids your inherent troubles with Mega Scizor, but also does a decent amount to common Skarmory sets on such defensively orientated teams thus forcing a Roost allowing your match up with Landorus-T against Skarmory weighing much more heavily in your favour. Since you are doing a decent amount of damage to them, it may either force a switch thus sustaining critical damage when it comes to an Excadrill potentially scoring a flinch or a 2HKO with Rock Slide or, force them to Roost which introduces the opportunity to Earthquake them on the Roost since your Nature will be Relaxed with 8 IVs in speed to make your slower than the opposing Skarmory and a further 28 in Special Attack EVs to 3HKO Physically Defensive Skarmory. The fact that you are slower also helps when forced against Specially Defensive Skarmory since your Earthquake will be doing a lot more damage towards them.
Relevant Calcs:

28 SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 124-148 (37.1 - 44.3%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 168-200 (50.2 - 59.8%) -- 85.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Skarmory: 222-264 (66.4 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

28 SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Scizor-Mega: 156-184 (45.4 - 53.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

28 SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 144-172 (40.9 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

28 SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tangrowth: 160-190 (39.6 - 47%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The set

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 8 Spe
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stealth Rock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)