XY OU Analysis Reservation Index - READ CAREFULLY (MAKING A NEW THREAD)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
raikou >>> jolt
I know it got rejected earlier, but I'd like to have it reevaluated. It has a really great Speed tier where it is barely out sped by anything that isn't scarfed. It's resists Bullet Punch, as well as Talonflame's Brave Bird, and Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack. Because of Jolteon's Speed, it can OHKO a lot of common threats. The only problem I find is that it's forced to run Choice Specs to deal a a significant amount of damage for OHKO's on many common threats, and it can really only come out for revenge kills.

Calcs:

+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 161-189 (59.1 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 177-209 (65 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 181-213 (66.5 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 180-213 (66.1 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 530-626 (177.8 - 210%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 348-410 (116.7 - 137.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 428-506 (157.3 - 186%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 470-554 (116.3 - 137.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Jolteon Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 352-416 (108.6 - 128.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rocks

Notable fast Pokemon it out speeds:
Talonflame, Greninja, Mega Pinsir, Gengar, Infernape, Garchomp, Keldeo, Dragonite at +1

Thanks to Volt Absorb it can come out of Electric-type moves such as Volt Switch, and gain some lost health.

Of course it can out speed many other threats, and possibly OHKO them, but I just wanted to list Pokemon that are relevent that Jolteon can take down.
I'm not sure if it's outclassed by anything, but I just wanted to throw this out there.
There's really no reason to use Jolteon over Mega Manectric, Thundurus-I, Thundurus-T, or really most special attackers. Jolteon no longer launches perfectly accurate Thunders, which is a significant nerf. Also, the generation has moved away from speed and gone towards bulk, priority, and power, none of which Jolteon has. On top of this, Jolteon was D to C- rank last Gen, so I can hardly imagine why it would be viable now.
av raikou beats greninja leagues better than jolteon. everything else, it outruns.
True, but Greninja would still go first and use U-turn, which it can't do on Jolteon. Also, a Talonflame with Choice Band can do a large amount of damage to Raikou with Flare Blitz, or also get hit by a U-turn. Raikou also doesn't have Volt Absorb yet, so it can't absorb a Volt Switch.

Pokemon that out speed Raikou (at max Speed) but not Jolteon:

Alakazam, Greninja, Dugtrio, Noivern, Weavile, Talonflame, +1 Dragonite.

It might not be much, but there is some merit of using Jolteon over Raikou.

Side note: Mega Manectric forfeits an item, and both Thundurus formes are Stealth Rock weak.
Jolteon isn't getting an analysis. There is absolutely zero reason to use it. That's just a fact and I'd rather you not try to fight it.
To be fair on our static speedster, it does still have merit for the sub-pass set as none of the pokemon that you are saying "outclass" Jolteon have access to baton pass, which mean that it isn't technically outclassed due to it being the fastest user of the combination aside from max speed Ninjask and max speed Scolipede at +2 (the former has no offensive presence, wheras the latter requires multiple boosts to get to a point where it can baton pass quicker than Jolteon. Furthermore, both have crippling weaknesses to common types such as Rock-, Flying- and Fire-typing). As such, Jolteon is still viable in the OU tier.

Last edited:
Would it be OK if I reserved Wigglytuff? It is viable now as it has Competitive which is a special-equivilant of Defiant - the reason why Bisharp is now OU. This enables it to take advantage of the opponent's sticky web as it's not going to be outpacing much with it's middling speed anyway, and it can hit back with powerful Dazzeling Gleams, Hyper Voices, Fire Blasts and Hidden Power Grounds.

I won't complain if you say no, but I feel it's retype and access to Competitive to abuse Sticky Web is enough to warrent it's use when paired with it's amazing base 140 HP and the buff it got to it's special attack stat.
Umm I don't know anything about Wigglytuff, but it seems pretty bad just based on its statspread and movepool. The reason why Bisharp is OU isn't just because of Defiant, but because it has access to moves such as Swords Dance and Sucker Punch as well. Wigglytuff has nothing going for it as far as I can see, and I'd consider it to be outclassed by the likes of Clefable and Sylveon.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Umm I don't know anything about Wigglytuff, but it seems pretty bad just based on its statspread and movepool. The reason why Bisharp is OU isn't just because of Defiant, but because it has access to moves such as Swords Dance and Sucker Punch as well. Wigglytuff has nothing going for it as far as I can see, and I'd consider it to be outclassed by the likes of Clefable and Sylveon.
The reason behind this is that, with sticky web up, it can get to a higher special attack stat than Clefable without any turns of setup. This is augmented by Wigglytuff's monsterous base 140 HP and the buff it got to it's spec. attack stat. In the end it is your decision, but I feel that this niche is good enough to warrent the set.

Last edited:
The reason behind this is that, with sticky web up, it can get to a higher special attack stat than Clefable without any turns of setup. This is augmented by Wigglytuff's monsterous base 140 HP and the buff it got to the stat. In the end it is your decision, but I feel that this niche is good enough to warrent the set.
Milotic > Wigglytuff anyday. Wigglytuff sucks especially since it looses that epic Fight resists with a gay Normal typing + NO MOONBLAST and is frankly weak. I'd like to see Milotic on the reservation list by the way
  • Competitive > Marvel Scale before you read this
  • Gains +2 when it switches onto Defog, Intimidate, and Sticky Web. Oh wait, what happens if you switch into Intimidate while Sticky Web is up? +4 SpA!!!!! iirc
  • Really good Special bulk and decent physical bulk + access to recover makes it good
  • 2 good coverage options in Dragon Pulse and Ice Beam
  • Powerful Hydro Pump but Surf can be used
  • Good wall-breaker too and mono-Water typing has its merits
Milotic @ Life Orb | Competitive
Modest | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Hydro Pump | Ice Beam | Dragon Pulse | Recover

Scald > Hydro Pump for the burn and Toxic over Dragon Pulse for residual damage. This set maximizes Milotic's tankiness while giving it amazing fire power and longetivity with Life Orb and Recover. This thing is worth it, and cannot be compared to Bisharp due to its typing, special power + coverage.

Try it out, pls put on rev. list

The reason behind this is that, with sticky web up, it can get to a higher special attack stat than Clefable without any turns of setup. This is augmented by Wigglytuff's monsterous base 140 HP and the buff it got to it's spec. attack stat. In the end it is your decision, but I feel that this niche is good enough to warrent the set.
Sticky Web isn't all that common, and I'm certain that you'd rather it be removed from your side of the field instead of having one Pokemon actually taking advantage of it. Even then, Wigglytuff isn't even taking advantage of it because it's just an all-around bad Pokemon. Feel free to prove me wrong through replays.

In terms of Milotic, that's actually quite intriguing. Can you provide some logs of it in action?

Martin

Sticky Web isn't all that common, and I'm certain that you'd rather it be removed from your side of the field instead of having one Pokemon actually taking advantage of it. Even then, Wigglytuff isn't even taking advantage of it because it's just an all-around bad Pokemon. Feel free to prove me wrong through replays.

In terms of Milotic, that's actually quite intriguing. Can you provide some logs of it in action?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CEAQtwIwAg&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4GKVlkpVY4&ei=SzYBU_DECZGThgeZhoBw&usg=AFQjCNF0E9CYOsdGwefBsGGEAex0vwKyRw&bvm=bv.61535280,d.ZG4

Here is Wigglytuff in action. It's not me using it, but this person used it to great effect (the link goes through to Youtube)

Wigglytuff rides on a very flimsy gimmick that will often make it deadweight on any competitive team. Sticky Web's poor distribution limits its use in OU; furthermore, Pokemon with access to Intimidate either aren't eager to switch into Wigglytuff (Lando-T hates the idea of potentially getting slapped by any Ice Beam) or have a second, just-as-relevant ability (e.g, Moxie Gyarados). Wigglytuff's existence alone places its own team at a disadvantage, and given its low Speed and power, cannot make up for that. As much as I love Wigglytuff, I can't see valid a reason behind why anyone should even consider it in OU.

P.S-The player using Wigglytuff in that vid didn't even win. Your claims about Wigglytuff (well, any Pokemon you're trying to defend) would be a lot more believable if you'd made the effort to use it yourself--and save replays of it successfully being used in OU.

epikkyogre78

Banned deucer.
I personally think Azelf deserves an analysis. It has an enormous movepool with moves like Fire Blast, Grass Knot, Stealth Rock, the elemental punches, Taunt, dual screens, U-Turn, Trick, Nasty Plot, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, and of course, Psyshock, Psychic, and Zen Headbutt for STAB. It also has huge 125 Attack and Special Attack coupled with excellent 115 Speed. It can run a whole bunch of sets, which I'll highlight later. It has Levitate, allowing it to easily switch into Ground-type attacks, which are very common in the current meta. Though Psychic isn't an ideal typing defensively, it still gives it resistances to the rather common Fighting and Psychic attacks thrown around the tier. It provides your team with a powerful attacker that can be used as a wallbreaker or works great as a late-game cleaner.

By the way, here is a few Pokémon that Azelf can switch into and deal with: Terrakion, Keldeo, Espeon, Infernape, Mienshao, Excadrill, Breloom, Mamoswine, Lucario, Roserade, Vaporeon or almost any bulky water besides MegaToise, Metagross, Machamp, Conkeldurr, Donphan, Gliscor, Heracross or Mega Heracross, Trevenant, Gourgeist, the list goes on and on.

Oh and if anyone is concerned about Azelf being outclassed by Alakazam, yes, Azelf is slower and weaker than Alakazam and has a worse ability (though Levitate isn't bad at all, but Magic Guard is better), but Alakazam only "outclasses" it as a revenge killer or an all-out attacker. In truth, Azelf isn't really outclassed, as a more than usable Attack stat and larger movepool help differentiate Azelf from Alakazam as an all-out attacker or revenge killer. Unlike Alakazam, Azelf can actually boost its stats and attempt a sweep by plotting nasty things with Nasty Plot. Azelf can also run a Dual Screens set to support its team, which Alakazam can't do. Azelf can also run a suicide lead set like it did in DPP, and after getting up Stealth Rock, deal damage with Psychic and Fire Blast, then go kamikaze with Explosion. Azelf can even surprise its usual counters with a Choice Band set, which is actually viable with Azelf's 125 Attack. Alakazam or any other Psychic type couldn't dream of doing that, no matter how hard it tried. Azelf can even run a TrickScarf set like it's other trio members Uxie and Mesprit, crippling the opponent's Azelf counter and proceeding to attack or switch out.

Overall, Azelf is strong, fast, and can run many different sets depending on what your team needs, and definitely isn't outclassed in OU despite being UU last gen. He's comin' back!! If you decide that Azelf is worthy of an analysis, I would like to reserve it, please.

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to make a case (and hopefully a reservation) for Durant.

With Genesect out of the picture, Durant no longer faces as much competition as a Bug/Steel type—however, as similar as they may seem, they are in all actuality rather different. Firstly, Durant boasts a great 109 Speed, enough to outrun a good deal of the metagame, although it falls agonizingly short of base 110. Despite this, however, Durant much more than makes up for what it lacks in speed with raw power. Hustle acts as an instantaneous attack boost, allowing even an unboosted Durant to punch massive holes in just about anything that's not a physical wall. Thanks to various buffs in attacking types this generation, Durant gets near-perfect coverage with Iron Head, X-Scissor, Crunch, and Rock Slide. With these four moves, Durant can pose a serious threat with sets utilizing either Choice Band or Choice Scarf (with a Choice Band, Durant's power rivals that of +2 Excadrill, and with a Choice Scarf, Durant is only outsped by the rarely-seen Scarf Latios). However, Durant can also go a different route by dropping X-Scissor for a boosting move. Hone Claws is the premier option, as it not only gives Durant a deadly attack boost, but also provides an accuracy boost to offset Hustle (and makes Stone Edge a viable move option for more power). At +1, Durant can even 2HKO walls like Hippowdon and Skarmory with no problem. Agility is also a viable choice for a boosting move, making Durant into a highly capable late-game cleaner. Lastly, although Durant's awful Special Defense prevents it from taking special attacks of any kind, Durant comes bundled with a great 112 Defense that lets it set up against Excadrill and easily tank a hit from the likes of Azumarill or Mega Pinsir. All in all, Durant is an underrated offensive threat with deceptively good attack, speed, and physical bulk. Although the banning of Genesect certainly makes it more prominent of a threat, Durant is not to be thought of as a worse, unbanned version of its more infamous cousin. It possesses many great qualities that give it a surprising degree of versatility and in my opinion deserves an OU analysis.

Since Hone Claws uses Life Orb, I'll make a note next to each calc whether the Hone Claws set could OHKO at +1.

252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 271-319 (75.6 - 89.1%)—near-guaranteed OHKO with Hone Claws
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 343-405 (53.4 - 63%)
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 141-167 (43.6 - 51.7%)
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 189-223 (49.4 - 58.3%)
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 244 HP / 40+ Def Gliscor: 189-223 (53.6 - 63.3%) -- 85.2% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 171-202 (57.3 - 67.7%)
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 313-369 (77.4 - 91.3%)—OHKO with Hone Claws
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Conkeldurr: 270-318 (76.9 - 90.5%)—OHKO with Hone Claws
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 259-306 (95.5 - 112.9%)—OHKO with Hone Claws
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 164-194 (42.4 - 50.2%)
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Crunch vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 244-288 (75.7 - 89.4%)—near-guaranteed OHKO with Hone Claws
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 261-308 (72 - 85%)—near-guaranteed OHKO with Hone Claws
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 173-204 (50.2 - 59.3%)
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 226-268 (53.3 - 63.2%)
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 372-438 (96.8 - 114%)—OHKO with Hone Claws

And now... calcs against Durant:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Durant: 109-129 (42.2 - 50%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Durant: 213-252 (82.5 - 97.6%)
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Durant: 69-82 (26.7 - 31.7%)
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Durant: 88-105 (34.1 - 40.6%)
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Durant: 168-198 (65.1 - 76.7%)
4 Atk Deoxys-S Fire Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Durant: 192-228 (74.4 - 88.3%)

Unfortunately, it's safe to assume that every special attack will do a number to Durant, but as you can see, it handles physical attacks quite well without any investment.

Martin

I'd like to make a case (and hopefully a reservation) for Durant.

With Genesect out of the picture, Durant no longer faces as much competition as a Bug/Steel type—however, as similar as they may seem, they are in all actuality rather different. Firstly, Durant boasts a great 109 Speed, enough to outrun a good deal of the metagame, although it falls agonizingly short of base 110. Despite this, however, Durant much more than makes up for what it lacks in speed with raw power. Hustle acts as an instantaneous attack boost, allowing even an unboosted Durant to punch massive holes in just about anything that's not a physical wall. Thanks to various buffs in attacking types this generation, Durant gets near-perfect coverage with Iron Head, X-Scissor, Crunch, and Rock Slide. With these four moves, Durant can pose a serious threat with sets utilizing either Choice Band or Choice Scarf (with a Choice Band, Durant's power rivals that of +2 Excadrill, and with a Choice Scarf, Durant is only outsped by the rarely-seen Scarf Latios). However, Durant can also go a different route by dropping X-Scissor for a boosting move. Hone Claws is the premier option, as it not only gives Durant a deadly attack boost, but also provides an accuracy boost to offset Hustle (and makes Stone Edge a viable move option for more power). At +1, Durant can even 2HKO walls like Hippowdon and Skarmory with no problem. Agility is also a viable choice for a boosting move, making Durant into a highly capable late-game cleaner. Lastly, although Durant's awful Special Defense prevents it from taking special attacks of any kind, Durant comes bundled with a great 112 Defense that lets it set up against Excadrill and easily tank a hit from the likes of Azumarill or Mega Pinsir. All in all, Durant is an underrated offensive threat with deceptively good attack, speed, and physical bulk. Although the banning of Genesect certainly makes it more prominent of a threat, Durant is not to be thought of as a worse, unbanned version of its more infamous cousin. It possesses many great qualities that give it a surprising degree of versatility and in my opinion deserves an OU analysis.

Since Hone Claws uses Life Orb, I'll make a note next to each calc whether the Hone Claws set could OHKO at +1.

252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 271-319 (75.6 - 89.1%)—near-guaranteed OHKO with Hone Claws
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 343-405 (53.4 - 63%)
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 141-167 (43.6 - 51.7%)
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 189-223 (49.4 - 58.3%)
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 244 HP / 40+ Def Gliscor: 189-223 (53.6 - 63.3%) -- 85.2% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 171-202 (57.3 - 67.7%)
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 313-369 (77.4 - 91.3%)—OHKO with Hone Claws
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Conkeldurr: 270-318 (76.9 - 90.5%)—OHKO with Hone Claws
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 259-306 (95.5 - 112.9%)—OHKO with Hone Claws
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 164-194 (42.4 - 50.2%)
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Crunch vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 244-288 (75.7 - 89.4%)—near-guaranteed OHKO with Hone Claws
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 261-308 (72 - 85%)—near-guaranteed OHKO with Hone Claws
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 173-204 (50.2 - 59.3%)
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 226-268 (53.3 - 63.2%)
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 372-438 (96.8 - 114%)—OHKO with Hone Claws

And now... calcs against Durant:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Durant: 109-129 (42.2 - 50%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Durant: 213-252 (82.5 - 97.6%)
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Durant: 69-82 (26.7 - 31.7%)
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Durant: 88-105 (34.1 - 40.6%)
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Durant: 168-198 (65.1 - 76.7%)
4 Atk Deoxys-S Fire Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Durant: 192-228 (74.4 - 88.3%)

Unfortunately, it's safe to assume that every special attack will do a number to Durant, but as you can see, it handles physical attacks quite well without any investment.
The main problem with Durant is that it's low speed stat coupled with a lack of prioroty, 4x weakness to Fire-type moves (further augmented by Talonflame's reign of terror) and a tiny coverage movepool leave Durant stuck doing nothing much in the OU tier. Furthermore, some of the calcs are a little off, for example saying that Choice Band Durant will OHKO with Hone Claws. Here are a few calcs of my own:

+1 252 Atk Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 271-319 (75.6 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
wheras...
4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Durant: 472-556 (182.9 - 215.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 Atk Hustle Durant Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 195-230 (48.2 - 56.9%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
while Jellicent burns back with Will-O-Wisp.

+1 252 Atk Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 217-256 (59.6 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
while Venusaur does this:
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Durant: 492-580 (190.6 - 224.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As you can see, it is clear that Durant isn't going to be doing much in the OU tier, and has heavy damage dealt to it by the majority of it back.

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
The main problem with Durant is that it's low speed stat coupled with a lack of prioroty, 4x weakness to Fire-type moves (further augmented by Talonflame's reign of terror) and a tiny coverage movepool leave Durant stuck doing nothing much in the OU tier. Furthermore, some of the calcs are a little off, for example saying that Choice Band Durant will OHKO with Hone Claws. Here are a few calcs of my own:

+1 252 Atk Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 271-319 (75.6 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
wheras...
4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Durant: 472-556 (182.9 - 215.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 Atk Hustle Durant Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 195-230 (48.2 - 56.9%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
while Jellicent burns back with Will-O-Wisp.

+1 252 Atk Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 217-256 (59.6 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
while Venusaur does this:
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Durant: 492-580 (190.6 - 224.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As you can see, it is clear that Durant isn't going to be doing much in the OU tier, and has heavy damage dealt to it by the majority of it back.
The reason I said it would OHKO with hone claws is that Hone Claws utilizes Life Orb as its item. That means you take the damage it deals with a Choice Band and multiply that by 1.3. I'm sorry if that was unclear. That's why those OHKOs are there.

Furthermore, what do you mean by a "tiny coverage movepool?" With the coverage moves I provided, Durant gets at least a neutral hit on every commonly seen Pokemon in OU except Lucario (who is close to being non-existent) and Keldeo (actually UU). It's not like Durant needs more coverage, because the only Pokemon that really wall it will wall it by virtue of their stats, not their typing, which in itself is largely mitigated when walls such as Skarmory and Hippowdon can be 2HKO'd.

Furthermore, I've found Durant functions best as a late-game sweeper. Let's take a look at your calcs to see if Durant can comfortably fulfill that. With a Life Orb, Durant is going to be OHKOing Garchomp nearly every single time. Jellicent is quite unseen—It's on 2.4% of all teams, roughly 1 out of every 40. And of that, with a Life Orb, Durant will be doing 62% minimum, so not only can Jellicent not switch in, but it also needs to be relatively healthy. Next, as for Mega Venusaur, let's correct your calcs to include Life Orb.

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 282-333 (77.4 - 91.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Without any method of truly passive recovery, it's unlikely that Mega Venusaur will be at completely full health when it comes in, particularly factoring in Stealth Rock. And although Hidden Power Fire threatens Durant, only 21% of all Venusaur carry it, and of that 21%, I'd imagine a sizable amount are Chlorophyll sweepers rather than Mega formes. So you can pretty safely assume that Mega Venusaur will lose a 1v1 against Durant, all factors accounted for.

I don't understand how you can assume that "it is clear that Durant isn't going to be doing much to the OU tier, as it has heavy damage dealt to it by the majority of it back." Of the three Pokemon you chose to represent the "OU tier," one is almost never seen, and the other two are actually almost always beat by Durant. And yes, while some Pokemon will deal heavy damage to it, they are almost exclusively limited to faster special attackers. Take a look at the calcs above—Durant can comfortably tank some common physical attacks.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
I notice there is no Dusclops analysis yet, and I honestly can't see why. It has ridiculous bulk, a pretty stellar movepool, a rare typing for a Defensive mon, and did I mention ridiculous bulk?
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Dusclops: 180-212 (63.6 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
So there's that.
Why Aegislash doesn't outclass it: Movepool. Aegislash doesn't have access to Will-O-Wisp or Pain Split, while Dusclops does. Also, as odd as crazy as it sounds, Dusclops is actually bulkier than Aegislash.
Why Rotom-W/Trevenant/Sableye doesn't outclass it at spreading burn: The main reason is bulk. Dusclop's main set, Substitute/Pain Split/Will-O-Wisp or Toxic/Night Shade uses this bulk to abuse heavy Substitutes and make switching in a serious pain for the opponent. Basically, you end up pissing your opponent off immensely.
If you're not convinced, I could gather some replays for you. If you are, I can start work on it whenever.
Oh, and Jirachi's been ready for QC for a while now, no rush though
Could somebody please address this? It hardly seems right that Wigglytuff of all things merits a response, while Dusclops doesn't =/.

Could somebody please address this? It hardly seems right that Wigglytuff of all things merits a response, while Dusclops doesn't =/.
Dusclops was hardly viable in UU last generation (I loved it, but it was pretty bad). Pathetic HP compromises its stellar defensive stats, Knock Off prevents it from walling many prominent attackers that it would like to otherwise like Conkeldurr, it has absolutely no offensive presence that makes it rely on Seismic Toss or Night Shade for damage, and it has no form of recovery other than Pain Split, which, while somewhat effective with a low HP stat, is not reliable, and without even Leftovers, it's prone to being worn down. As for the set you suggested, I don't know why Substitute on Dusclops has been a trend this generation, since that just makes a bad pokemon worse. Dusclops is far too slow to use Substitute effectively, forces few switches to get opportunities to make one, and can't really take advantage of it when it does. Okay, you got a Substitute so you have a free turn. You're a wall, you're supposed to have free turns because stuff can't break you. How does Substitute help Dusclops do its job of tanking hits if it's supposed to do that with its natural bulk? Blocking status is nice, but hardly worth the moveslot when in most situations it won't be very helpful. You're definitely not using it to lower your HP and use Pain Split.

So yeah, I can't imagine why Dusclops would be approved when there are just better defensive ghosts like Cofagrigus, who pretty much outclasses Dusclops at everything it does. Try Doubles?

Last edited:

Martin

Wigglytuff rides on a very flimsy gimmick that will often make it deadweight on any competitive team. Sticky Web's poor distribution limits its use in OU; furthermore, Pokemon with access to Intimidate either aren't eager to switch into Wigglytuff (Lando-T hates the idea of potentially getting slapped by any Ice Beam) or have a second, just-as-relevant ability (e.g, Moxie Gyarados). Wigglytuff's existence alone places its own team at a disadvantage, and given its low Speed and power, cannot make up for that. As much as I love Wigglytuff, I can't see valid a reason behind why anyone should even consider it in OU.

P.S-The player using Wigglytuff in that vid didn't even win. Your claims about Wigglytuff (well, any Pokemon you're trying to defend) would be a lot more believable if you'd made the effort to use it yourself--and save replays of it successfully being used in OU.
at least Defog is a thing that effects Wigglytuff
ok. if it isn't put through, I'll just wait for the RU C&C so I can reserve it

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I'll make a case for azelf.

Azelf's role is as a mixed attacker that uses its speed, power, and coverage to in general be a headache for opponent's defense, contributing to stall breaking as well, its speed allows to check to a fairly wide variety of offensive threats. It's not unlike Deoxys-S, and Greninja, both assume these roles however Azelf is a lot stronger than Deo, and has good fire moves and u-turn, while in comarpison to Greninja it has differnet coverage options, knock off, and a ground immunity to make it look a little different.

With fire blast to intimidate steel types, u-turn to let it pivot out of Tyranitar switch ins, Knock off to bother any pokemon and good coverage on psychic types that would otherwise wall it, and a relatively strong Psychic STAB Azelf functions as a pretty decent mixed attacker.

for example in this game Azelf managed to deal some real damage, using knokc off to break past bulky psychic type wobbuffet, mixed attacking (this was a physical spread, it would have done much more to mandibuzz with a special spread) to intimidate physical wall mandibuzz, and knock off proves a viable way to damage Heatran as it chunks it decently and denies it leftovers recovery aking it infinitely easier to keep worn down. I know my opponent wasnt the best, but it was a tough matchup for Azelf and with decent prediction it managed to perform admirably against defense.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-89805515

Ill try and produce more replays of Azelf checking pokemon, and being a bit tricky to handle for opponents.

Martin

Cadentube has kind of abandoned the Ludicolo thread. There are replys, but he hasn't commented sinse the 30th of December 2013 and he hasn't edited the analysis sinse the 28th of the same month. Would it be OK if I took it over? If yes, how do I go about doing that?

Also, what is everyone's thoughts on Meowstic F? According to the index, neither of the meowstick formes are being done/have been done, and I thought that maybe I could reserve the two (I know that 3 at once in OU alone might be pushing it a bit, but meowstic f is just a bit of thought collecting on weather it's viable or not at the moment, so I will delay the reserve for that reason. I am pointing it out as it has access to two very good offensive abilities in Competitive and the newly-buffed Infiltrator: the former could be used on teams that are very weak to Intimidate, Defog or Sticky Web, while the latter could be used on teams that don't mind a slight drop in power in those circumstances to hit through dual-screens and Substitute.)

Last edited:
Cadentube has kind of abandoned the Ludicolo thread. There are replys, but he hasn't commented sinse the 30th of December 2013 and he hasn't edited the analysis sinse the 28th of the same month. Would it be OK if I took it over? If yes, how do I go about doing that?

Also, what is everyone's thoughts on Meowstic F? According to the index, neither of the meowstick formes are being done/have been done, and I thought that maybe I could reserve the two (I know that 3 at once in OU alone might be pushing it a bit, but meowstic f is just a bit of thought collecting on weather it's viable or not at the moment, so I will delay the reserve for that reason. I am pointing it out as it has access to two very good offensive abilities in Competitive and the newly-buffed Infiltrator: the former could be used on teams that are very weak to Intimidate, Defog or Sticky Web, while the latter could be used on teams that don't mind a slight drop in power in those circumstances to hit through dual-screens and Substitute.)
You can take Ludicolo.

Meowstic-F is too weak and terrible. It's kind of obvious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)