Other XY OU Pokemon of the Week #7: Manaphy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, Magnemite with TRC. here bringing everyone the next Pokemon of the Week!

The XY OU Pokemon of the Week is an (obviously) weekly project in the Overused forum. The idea originated from when we were reading many of the discussion threads, often the discussion is a bit lacking in the content department. Our goal here to is to highlight a threat in the metagame that isn't as well known, or isn't used as much as it should be, and provide a concise amount of information about that Pokemon; this will encourage creativity during teambuilding, and it will also provide an instant wealth of knowledge about that particular threat. This will hopefully be more helpful to the massive influx of new players in the OU subforum and promote better discussion within the individual threads. In this thread though, the main point of discussion should be about experiences with that particular Pokemon and the sets featured, and how it has helped in some way during your battling. Niche sets and gimmicks can be mentioned as well, but bear in mind that this thread is mainly an informative source of knowledge through what is written in the OP; discussion is not its main focus, though it is most certainly allowed. we need to make this point clear. Think of this like an article introducing you to a new threat that you can use; and try it out! Oh yeah, you can also VM one of us what you think the next POTW should be, bearing in mind that they will be on lesser-used threats, such as Chesnaught, Krookodile, or Cofagrigus.

Remember, in order to be Pokemon of the Week, a Pokemon must be in a tier below OU (Including BL), based on the new 1760 stats. Due to the policy change occurring at the same time as us creating this Pokemon of the Week, this Pokemon is currently OU.

This week's Pokemon of the Week is Manaphy.

Art by The (phenomenal)Mega Lotad.

Type: Water
Base Stats: 100 HP / 100 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SpA / 100 SpD / 100 Spe
Ability: Hydration

Introduction
Boasting access to the almost exclusive Tail Glow, Manaphy is one of very few Pokemon in the game that can boost their Special Attack by 3 stages in one turn. This combined with Manaphy's balanced stat spread means that Manaphy is a fearsome special attacker that can often find opportunities to set up thanks to its natural bulk. If you want to setup in a similar manner but you have a preference for bulk, you always have Calm Mind at your disposal, and even Rain Dance which will benefit Manaphy greatly, as it means that it can fully recover and wake up in one turn by using Rest. It has excellent coverage with its STAB move of choice and a selection of Ice Beam, Energy Ball, and Psychic.

Unfortunately, Manaphy is held back by its average Speed stat, which means it can be revenge killed by almost any moderately fast attacker with some sort of super effective coverage. Its bulk slightly remedies this, but it is still an issue. It also has trouble with some relatively common Pokemon depending on what coverage move it runs in the last slot, and its Special Attack is quite underwhelming should Manaphy not find an opportunity to set up.

What to try:

Manaphy @ Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psychic / Energy Ball

This set takes advantage of Manaphy's access to the rare Tail Glow, one of the best setup moves in the game. The use of it will boost Manaphy's Special Attack by 3 stages, which means its STAB and coverage moves will be able to heavily dent, and most likely OHKO the opponent. The STAB move of choice is Surf, as it is powerful and accurate. If you want to, you can use Scald instead of Surf to ward physical attackers off with the threat of a burn. It must be noted that it is less powerful than Surf though. Ice Beam provides excellent coverage, as it is super effective against the Grass- and Dragon-types that resist Surf. The final slot is an important choice. Psychic is used for Mega Venusaur, while Energy Ball is used for Rotom-W, Gastrodon, and Quagsire. Psychic will KO Rotom-W after a bit of prior damage, but if you prefer to always be able to safely KO it, use Energy Ball. Bear in mind that Mega Venusaur is a big threat to Manaphy that don't run Psychic. The item choice is basically dependent on whether power or longevity matter the most, but a Wacan Berry is a cool choice to lure Thundurus and hit it with Ice Beam, while a Rindo Berry does the same to Mega Venusaur if you aren't running Psychic. The EV spread is obvious, but if you are looking for a Speed benchmark to be at to invest more in bulk, try this alternate EV spread: 90 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 162 Spe, as with a Modest nature you can outspeed Adamant Excadrill. The Timid nature is to outspeed Pokemon below base 100 Speed, and tie with ones that are exactly base 100.

Manaphy @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Rain Dance
- Scald

With Manaphy's good bulk, it can easily set up Calm Minds, further increasing its bulk as well as its offensive capability. The next two moves are sort of an excerpt from Manaphy last gen, as Rain Dance not only boosts Manaphy's STAB but it also means that Manaphy can use Rest to recover to full health, and then wake up, ready to set up more Calm Minds. Scald is the choice as the STAB option, as it allows Manaphy to break through foes that resist it with the possible burn. The amount of Speed invested is enough to outspeed neutral natured base 70s, with the rest put into physical bulk. With Life Orb, Manaphy can 2HKO even Chansey with Surf, the premier special wall of the tier.

What else can you try?
If you want to have more power while still performing in the same way as the second Manaphy set, then try Tail Glow instead of Calm Mind. Manaphy's signature move, Heart Swap, is an interesting way of playing with Manaphy as it allows you to steal an opponents boosts. Finally, U-turn can be used with Rain Dance to generate momentum for rain sweepers such as Kabutops, Kingdra, and Tornadus-T.

Good Partners for this Pokemon:
Manaphy has naturally low Speed, but with Sticky Web in play, Manaphy will be able to easily clean through teams after a boost. Galvantula is actually the best choice here as it is faster than Garchomp, a threat to Manaphy, and can KO it with Hidden Power Ice. Terrakion, Conkeldurr, and Lucario are also immensely helpful to break through Chansey, something that gives Manaphy a lot of trouble. Choice Specs Magnezone is amazing as it can trap and OHKO Ferrothorn, which is another stop to Manaphy. Politoed is helpful for the first set, but amazing for the second set, as it provides rain for Manaphy to recover itself in.

Playing against Manaphy: Checks and Counters
If you know it isn't running Psychic, Mega Venusaur is able to set up Leech Seed on Manaphy, or use Giga Drain. If it isn't running Energy Ball, Rotom-W should be able to come in on a Tail Glow, survive Psychic, and Volt Switch out again, though it will be significantly weakned. Ferrothorn is a huge problem for Manaphy, as it has no form of attack against it. It can even turn Manaphy's own rain into an advantage. Chansey and Blissey completely wall it even after a Tail Glow, and can cripple it with status or stall it out. Thundurus and Thundurus-T can do hefty amounts of damage to Manaphy, unless of course it is running Wacan Berry. Assault Vest Tangrowth can wall it and retaliate with Leaf Storm. Finally, Kyurem-B can KO it with Fusion Bolt while not minding much of Manaphy's attacks.

There we go, that's the fifth Pokemon of the Week! Let us know whether this has helped you at all, and your results of testing these Manaphy sets on the ladder. Also, don't forget to let us know via VM what Pokemon you want to see next. All opinions are welcome, as well as opinions about the Pokemon of the Week format and any ideas you want to see implemented, as well as questions for us about either Manaphy or POTW itself. Go out there and try Manaphy now, and we'll see you next time!

Last edited:
Honestly, I consider the CM Rain Dance Manaphy completely outclassed by CroCune. The raw bulk that Suicune has is much more important than gain in power (rain+ base stats) and extra speed Manaphy has.

HydraRest isn't as good as it is cracked up to be. Manaphy has to spend every sixth turn using Rain Dance in order to keep its recovery ability intact. In addition, Charizard Y and Tyranitar, which are everywhere right now, can predict your Rest in rainy conditions to prevent the instant recovery and keep you asleep. Or in general they can prevent your recovery by playing aggressively with their weather. CroCune doesn't have to deal with the opponent messing with its recovery or waste time setting up its recovery, just boost away. I'd rather risk the 33% chance with sleep talk Suicune of doing nothing than doing nothing at all with manaphy's rain dance + rest.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I too feel as if Manaphy's decline was drastic. It fares very well against slow teams (if they lack a bulky grass like m-saur or ferrothorn, which many don't) but is almost a liability against anything else. It is very weak until it boosts, and it must rely somewhat on supereffective coverage even then. As mentioned, bulky grasses generally wall it while it is rather vulnerable to strong priority or just faster hits in general.

Its most obvious use is certainly as a stall/bulky offense breaker of sorts, but is that not a slot that can be performed more adequately by other pokes (think kyurem-b, charizard, even things like gothitelle)? Manaphy requires setup which kind of sucks.

Perhaps it can find a niche in a bulky support set with u-turn and heal bell? Combined with its relatively high spatt, those two moves are somewhat exclusive together. If only it had reliable healing.

Perhaps it can find a niche in a bulky support set with u-turn and heal bell? Combined with its relatively high spatt, those two moves are somewhat exclusive together. If only it had reliable healing.
Well, you can kinda run it as a rain supporter, like so.

Manaphy @ Wet Rock Thing
Bold / Impish Nature
252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Speed
Hydration

Rain Dance
Rest
Heal Bell / whatever else you wanna run
U-Turn / Scald

Bulk isn't too bad, healing from Rest and Hydration make it pretty easy to keep going, and it can keep Rain up pretty well. Scald / U-turn is your choice, but honestly anyone with half a brain is going to send out a bulky grass or dragon 'mon, I'd rather use U-Turn and grab a little damage and a switch than fish for a burn myself.

Really early on this generation I used the tail glow set with a spread of 252 HP/ 4 SpA/ 252 Spe and Timid, kind of like Calm mind Latias except a little more threatening immediately. I don't really know how effective this would be now, especially with mega-venusaur actually being used, but it worked ok for me (or at least better than the 4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe spread) when I used it.

Really early on this generation I used the tail glow set with a spread of 252 HP/ 4 SpA/ 252 Spe and Timid, kind of like Calm mind Latias except a little more threatening immediately. I don't really know how effective this would be now, especially with mega-venusaur actually being used, but it worked ok for me (or at least better than the 4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe spread) when I used it.
I used that spread, 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe, in combination with Rain Support. The early 2-3 Turns with Rest as reliable recovery is more than enough time for a Set Up for a sweep.

I have no idea what game you guys are playing at, but I have been running 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe Modest nature, and this thing cleans house. He has Tail GLow, Scald, Ice Beam, and Eregy ball and I keep asking myself how this thing isn't in Ubers yet. I can usually bring it in to force a switch and tail glow up, but the nice thing about it is, I can even bring it in on a Landorous T, Tail Glow, and OHKO it with ice beam. Then I am set to sweep. And surprisingly, even though their are a lot of pokemon with over 100 base speed, many pokemon are bulky attacker, who +3 SpA Manaphy eats for dinner. A favorite swith in for Manaphy, for some unknown reason, is Rotom-W. Whom you out speed and can absorb his volt switch with minimal damage. I love him and he is a staple for my teams now.

I run the 252 HP EVs too, though it's more of a wallbreaker than a sweeper without the speed EVs. It also compliments Talonflame well, you can wreck Rotom-W after one boost:

+3 252+ SpA Manaphy Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 308-364 (101.3 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Manaphy sits at a very crowded Speed tier, the same Speed tier as threats like both Mega Charizards, and just above threats such as Kyurem-B. Running no Speed investment is a pretty bad idea as it means Manaphy is outsped and beaten by a ton of threats, such as the Charizards, Kyurem-B, Excadrill (at least I think so, I'm too lazy to check right now), and quite a few other Pokemon. Running a bulky spread on the Tail Glow set actually makes Manaphy easier to revenge kill for this reason.

Ecthel, you don't actually need Modest to OHKO Rotom-Wash at +3, because Rotom-Wash is always physically defensive. Specially defensive Rotom-Wash is just awful. Additionally, Rotom-Wash is very easy to wear down, especially if you have a Talonflame, and is 2HKOed by +3 Psychic anyway, so I would recommend running Psychic as Mega Venusaur is much harder to wear down.

I used Manaphy once on a team with Dual Screens and Sticky Web support and it was absolutely incredible. It simply runs straight through things after a Tail Glow boost, which is easy enough to grab due to its reasonably good bulk and typing. I personally used Psychic over Energy Ball because with screens up I had absolutely nothing to fear from Rotom-W, but there were times when I felt I'd benefit from Energy Ball instead (mostly when faced with another Manaphy). People switch Mega Venusaur into it frequently, so Psychic is good to have, but Rotom-W switches were admittedly quite common too. Sticky Web support was great because it put me just ahead of Choice Scarf Genesect, allowing me to run through offensive teams, but that isn't so relevant now for obvious reasons.

I don't think I could ever really recommend Life Orb, as the base 100 Speed tier means it is outsped by a lot of common attackers and absolutely needs to be able to take a hit from them in order to beat them and continue the sweep. Leftovers is the most obvious item choice, but without Dual Screens support I can imagine a Wacan Berry being very useful, allowing it to get past Thundurus without taking crippling damage - I would recommend pairing that with Psychic as Rotom-W isn't a problem when Volt Switch's damage is halved.

I never have many problems with Tail Glow Manaphy when running a Stall team, as even at +6 Manaphy can't really defeat Chansey, and depending on its choice of coverage it is also going to struggle with either Quagsire or Mega Venusaur. Rain Dance + CM Manaphy though is an absolutely huge threat to stall, one the majority of stall teams probably won't be able to deal with at all, unless they have a faster Taunt or something like Unaware + Calm Mind Clefable. The Rain Dance boost, Scald burn and status immunity mean Chansey isn't a problem at all. I definitely think it would be a great choice to build a team around, as once the few things that can bring it down through brute force are out of the way, Manaphy can defeat pretty much anything else. The one time I did put it on a team, I did notice it had some issues surrounding the turn when the rain came to an end, as it would find itself needing to use both Rest and Rain Dance on the same turn. Damp Rock would be a good item choice for that reason, though in that case it is probably best used on rain teams as a supporter/win condition. Despite sharing the same typing as Politoed, the two work very well together, as Manaphy hugely appreciates being able to use Calm Mind on the first turn it comes out without having to waste a crucial turn setting up Rain Dance. For that reason it would probably appreciate other rain supporters as well. Using it on a team where it's the only rain user is wasting its potential in my opinion.

I had actually considered switching Energy Ball to Psychic, although it's nice for dealing with other bulky waters like Suicine who otherwise wall Manaphy. Giving Rotom-W max SPD was more a demonstration of power thing, since you shouldn't be switching in Rotom on Manaphy anyway unless it's scarfed and Manaphy's taken some residual damage.

I can see why people like and use the Speed EVs, as they do make Manaphy an excellent late-game cleaner once dedicated walls like Chansey have been removed. It just complements my team better to use it to tank a hit or two and smash things along the way - Talonflame (apart from being a better cleaner in most situations) can usually revenge or force out the most common revenge killers, and at the VERY worst it's a 1 for 1 (usually of a strong wall). The extra HP also lets you get a little more mileage out of your lefties.

Random thought: would Salac Berry be viable? You'd still have problems with priority, but invested +1 would outspeed pretty much everything that didn't have a higher base speed + Scarf.

This is what I use.

Manaphy @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 76 Def / 252 SAtk / 176 SDef
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I use it as a Keldeo, Azumarill and Rotom-W check and the burn from Scald can help a lot. HP Fire can 2hko several Bug/Steel or Grass/Steel if you can predict the switch.

For me, Manaphy is not a sweeper at all, but a wallbreaker. I have had success with it in the early to midgame portions of a match simply by getting to +3 and denting things. This way, Manaphy will be healthy enough to take any hit from most scarfers, and generally get a KO in return as choice scarf Pokemon are obviously not super bulky. It also opens up the way for a genuine sweeper; SD Bisharp is decent as it likes how Manaphy lures and removes M-Venusaur and AV Conk. Mega Gyarados is also really good to beat Chansey and provide nice Water spam.

Also, just a small mistake in the OP:
Ice Beam provides excellent coverage, as it is super effective against the Grass- and Water-types that resist Surf.

You can kinda run a bulky Cleric set, but it faces pretty stiff competition from even Lanturn, let alone Clefable / Chansey. Everyone's already hit the nail on the head, lack of reliable recovery is just a nightmare on a Pokemon without exceptional speed or immediate power. The offensive Tail Glow set is still alright, especially as a M-Venusaur lure, but even as a lure it's difficult to find synergistic offensive partners for it. Breloom is the best I can think of, since it appreciates Venu being removed, and can handle Ferrothorn and Chansey, but still...

I run this set on a dedicated rain team:
Manaphy @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam

I've been thinking about tweaking it a bit but even so, it works well as is. Scald's power reaches ridiculous heights in the rain after a Tail Glow or two. Bulky Manaphy outspeeds pretty much anything that would attempt to wall it, sets up in its face, rests off any damage if necessary, and then OHKOes or 2HKOes with ease. People will assume that Manaphy is invested in Speed and try to revenge kill, but if Manaphy is at full health or close to it, (which it often is thanks to Rest/Hydration) it can tank some pretty big hits and proceed to OHKO its would be check with ease. Maybe I'll add in some calcs later but let me conclude for now by saying that this thing very rarely doesn't kill something for me and it often takes out most or all of an opponent's team. If rain were more prevalent, I can see Manaphy being suspect tested. It's that good in rain. Even without rain support, it's a big threat. Why it isn't used more is a mystery to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)